Winter Practice & Play

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP always has the hamster turning the wheel and we have a question for everybody. For those that live in colder climates, do you still practice and play during that time? Heated ranges, simulators, etc...

We have a few things we are working on and want to get feedback for those in the colder climates. But really this pertains to everybody.

1. Do you play year round?
2. If so, is it because of your climate
3. If not climate, how do you play (heated range, simulators, etc)
4. If you dont, could you?

Thanks for all the help.

I play rounds until they close… Although ski season does start to interfere. I also spend a week or so in Orlando as a golf trip, since my parents are snow birds.
I practice at a heated range… It works great. I will usually practice in a short sleeve shirt even if it is below freezing. The heaters are that effective.
The major issue I have is I can’t practice putting effectively in the winter. I own a 800 ft^2 condo, and the small mat I can fit in my living room is uninspiring.

Great topic, here in South Dakota we obviously cannot play year round. I always do a run to Omaha (a little better) late fall and first thing when the ground thaws but other than that I typically don't take advantage of the options available to me. We have multiple driving ranges with heated bays, we have a golf dome (big bubble with driving range indoors) and we have 2 or 3 places with simulators, even leagues and everything. I've gone into every winter saying this is the year that I finally take advantage of this and to date I've barely scraped the surface, some yes but not nearly as much as I'd like.

yes, i play year round. we do have a bit of a winter around here but it comes and goes and the courses are open year round.

now you have my hamster going. i'm very curious about the nature of this thread.

Junior Lancer and Mrs. Esox hit in a huge blow up golf dome. I don't. The mats kill my hands. J.L.'s swing coach meets us there and gives her lessons, too. Before he heads to a warmer climate in mid-January. They have also hit at a couple of driving ranges that have heated bays. Those are weird. It's like a thousand degrees in one tiny spot, and then you move a little and, well, it's Cheeseland, use your imagination. Plus, the golf balls fly about half as far as normal.

Kevin

Yes
I definitely deal with a winter climate here in southern New Jersey.
Despite the winter climate, the courses around here remain "open", so when we get warm spells, I can occaisonally play a round of golf. Its usually only once a month that you get temps above 45 degrees and dry weather. Last winter I used Golftec's hitting bays to practice and take lessons. I plan to sign up for at least a practice pass again this winter to use their cameras and sensors. There is also an outdoor, covered range but it is not heated. As long as its above freezing I brave that place once in a while during the winter.

Last September is when I started playing golf seriously. (I'd tried it for one or two rounds a few times previously) My buddies at work were all like "we play all through the winter". Well it was the worst winter we'd had in North East Tennessee in a very long time. I practiced putting and full swings in the garage hoping it would warm up just enough to let us go out and play. No go way to cold with the average temp around 20 degrees. There are no heated ranges or indoor practice facilities around here that I know of. (If anyone knows of any please let me know) So garage golf it was. Sad I know. Hopefully it will be a more mild winter this year!

1. No
2. Its because of the climate that I dont play year round.
3. N/A
4. ?

What does number 4 mean? If I dont play year round could I? Sorry maybe Im missing the point? January and Feb are just too cold here for my taste.

In SE Wisconsin our season if you push it is from about late March through Thanksgiving. But it can be shorter obviously if the snow starts flying early or if it doesnt want to melt. I will usually practice on Wednesdays in an indoor hitting bay that has a launch monitor. This is when I take my winter lessons to try and make any major swing changes for the next year. For me the rest of the year I have a 2 man scramble at my families golf course in Muskego and then a round at Blackwolf Run on Nov 7th and a round at Whistling Straits on the 13th and that will probably be about it unless I get some quick rounds in during the week.

I play year round.

Climate is definitely the reason. Summers are brutal but the deals are top notch. I love to play no matter what the weather is.

Curious about the thread as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Do you play year round? Sort of....I can drive about 125 miles from home and play year round. (and I do on occasion)
2. If so, is it because of your climate? It's hard to find the ball in 3 feet of snow.
3. If not climate, how do you play (heated range, simulators, etc) See answer #1
4. If you dont, could you? Again...see answer #1

We use to have one of those big golf domes here in Spokane, and I used it all winter long, but they went out of business a few years ago. DANG !

I have a 2 man scramble at my families golf course in Muskego

Don't forget the outing where you use your car as a cart. LOL. Did you play in the six man Tough Day scramble last week? Mark told me he played with his nephew.

Kevin

1. No
2. Its because of the climate that I dont play year round.
3. N/A
4. ?

What does number 4 mean? If I dont play year round could I? Sorry maybe Im missing the point? January and Feb are just too cold here for my taste.

It meant that do you not play because of choice. Meaning are there heated bays or a dome you could use and just choose not to.

1. No, but I wish I could!!
2. Absolutely because of climate. Stupid snow. Stupid cold.
3. This will be my first year to try winter practicing. Unfortunately for me, there is no indoor range here in Edmonton, yes, stupid I know. I'm going to try to do the simulator thing, but at the very least go to my Golf Town and try clubs there in their sims every chance I get.
4. See number 3.

THP always has the hamster turning the wheel and we have a question for everybody. For those that live in colder climates, do you still practice and play during that time? Heated ranges, simulators, etc...

We have a few things we are working on and want to get feedback for those in the colder climates. But really this pertains to everybody.

Thanks for all the help.

1. I play year round or until I can't find my ball in the snow. The munis here set up the courses so you hit from "winter tee" (usually forward tees) & to "winter green" (usually flag w hole right in front of green complex). By late Dec if we have good cold snap your ball bounces a looooong way w funny kicks on frozen ground

2. Climate lets me typically play until mid-dec, then we get a late Jan/early Feb thaw, then play March from winter locations. Last year we played in CT until mid Jan.

3. When I can't play its heated bays, simulators, or golf domes (indoor driving ranges & in one place indoor par 3 nine hole "course")

4.NA

One way or another I play year round. Fewer rounds in the dead of winter, but I’m lucky enough I can play through most of our winters. Typically I’ll walk 18 if the ground isn’t frozen and the temps near 40. I can be fairly comfortable with an over shirt and if needed a light pair of winter golf gloves. Several of us have cart covers and a few even have cart heaters when we do have to ride a course
This past winter was unusual for VA. We had the most snowfall I can remember and many courses didn’t open for weeks. I played a few rounds at a local HD simulator and when I was in a warmer climate on business travel the sticks travelled with me. Most of the ranges that aren’t course affiliated have heaters, but those tend to get pretty busy at times and the range balls of course are like frozen pellets! I still try to get my golf fix somehow though!!!!

1. Do you play year round? I might take a month or two off during the winter but I could actually play 12 months a year since our winters are fairly mild in GA. I expect this year might be the first year I actually make it through all 12 months.

2. If so, is it because of your climate. Yes

3. If not climate, how do you play (heated range, simulators, etc)? We have a cart cover and propane heater for our carts. It really makes the difference!

4. If you dont, could you? Many golfers at our course play year round but our business at the course is VERY slow during the winter.

1. Do you play year round? I cannot play year round here in Chicago, but I do try to do several trips to other locations for some golf.
2. If so, is it because of your climate? It is ver difficult to play from late November through mid-March due to the climate.
3. If not climate, how do you play (heated range, simulators, etc)? During the colder/snowy months in Chicago, I am constrained to heated stalls at the range. There is a "Top Golf" in the burbs and my local outdoor range covers three sides of the hitting bays and has heat lamps above.
4. If you dont, could you? See above

Thanks for all the help.

1. No.
2. Definitely because of climate, pretty much can't play January-March because of all of the cold and snow.
3. I tried to go to an indoor place a few times last winter, but didn't really get much out of it. My range has heated stalls, I'm going to try that sometime this winter just to not completely lose the feel of swinging a club.
4. I could get some winter play on a real course in if I traveled someplace (ex. went to Phoenix last January). However, I'm going to hit the gym more over this winter, so actually playing golf will take a backseat to that.

I play year round. The winter is mild here and I have more free time. I don't know of any heated bays around here.

I pretty much just shut it down from October - March. There are usually a few good weather days, but I hate to not play for a month, then go out in the cold and pay to play 18, then not have any fun, only to not play for another month. If someone else is paying I'll go out and goof off, but I won't pay for it.

Same goes for the range. No point in hitting a bucket of balls then not get to for another month. And if I won't pay for that, no way will I pay for a trip somewhere to play or practice for a weekend, only to come home and not touch a club for a while.

Plus, if I had a weekend day open I would just rather watch football anyway.

Don't forget the outing where you use your car as a cart. LOL. Did you play in the six man Tough Day scramble last week? Mark told me he played with his nephew.

Kevin

Yes I did!! It was a blast cant believe -17 won. We had several chances to finish better but missed some birdies and bogeyed the last hole. I thought about the car for cart day but I dont think my F-350 dually would fit very well on the cart paths :)

1. Do you play year round? Yes
2. If so, is it because of your climate? There are sometimes cold weeks but they are spread out and it is usually only a little chilly the rest of the time.

Hit year round, yes. Play, not so much as it's usually too cold in Jan and Feb. At least there's heated ranges and indoor simulators near me.

Back