PDA

View Full Version : Keeping back towards target longer

Golf Chick
03-14-2011, 04:55 PM
My instructor has been working with me on getting more distance. Power/distance comes from your legs. My instructor has been having me keep my back/right shoulder towards the target longer as I'm starting my downswing and that part of me should be the last to go. I'm having THE hardest time with this. My arms like to get ahead of the rest of me. He's having me pause at the top of the backswing before I shift the weight over. How can I keep my back and right shoulder towards the target more while I'm downswinging?

Wicked Cool Bearded Man
03-14-2011, 06:25 PM
My instructor has been working with me on getting more distance. Power/distance comes from your legs. My instructor has been having me keep my back/right shoulder towards the target longer as I'm starting my downswing and that part of me should be the last to go. I'm having THE hardest time with this. My arms like to get ahead of the rest of me. He's having me pause at the top of the backswing before I shift the weight over. How can I keep my back and right shoulder towards the target more while I'm downswinging?

I'm not a pro by any means... but if you concentrate on rotating from your lead hip at the top of your back swing it might help.... focus on your core and the torque that you are creating as opposed to your arms. We go over this alot with our younger baseball players when working on hitting inside pitches. The first movement is actually your lead hip (kind of opening up towards the pitcher) - not your hands like many people believe when hitting a pitch on the inner third of the plate - seems like a similar weight transfer. Hope this helps.

Fairway2Green
03-14-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm sure JB will come and say this, but this is the Ask a Pro section and they like to keep it clean of posts until Andy has a chance to answer it. I posted in here on accident before not noticing, so that's how I know.

Lynchburg14
03-14-2011, 09:29 PM

Good luck hope you get the answer you are looking for. Glad to see you are working on your game.

Tadashi70
03-14-2011, 09:44 PM
I taught this swing for years when I was teaching. I don't agree with the pause at the top (listen to your pro)but keeping your back facing the target that split second longer really does make a difference in the amount of power. To achieve this try pulling the handle of the club down toward the ball with you back facing the target. Don't worry once you uncoil your body, your arms will be following. But be sure not to forget about the lower body.

Smallville
03-15-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm sure JB will come and say this, but this is the Ask a Pro section and they like to keep it clean of posts until Andy has a chance to answer it. I posted in here on accident before not noticing, so that's how I know.

Thanks, but that's not keeping it clean! hehehe

And yet, there were two more posts after yours!

Yes, THIS IS THE ASK THE PRO SECTION, please keep it clean until Andy has the chance to respond.

amollerud
03-16-2011, 09:50 AM
He is trying to get you more connected and help stop an over the top move to start the down swing. Try this to help with the feel. Get to the top of the back swing and stop from here feel your right elbow (right handed players) pull towards the ball to get to your side. When this happens feel the right shoulder start working down with it. The key to start the down swing is the right shoulder needs to start working down before you start turning back to the ball. This will get the club in the slot and in a position where you can really fire into the ball.

Another way to get the feel is get to the top of the back swing and stop. From here just let gravity take over. Feel the arms club, and shoulder work down before you come around to the ball.