Swing speed vs shaft

I got a stiff shaft. But I had to line it up towards the heel of the club to hit the sweet spot on the drive. Is that normal?

No, infact lining up towards the heel is generally the opposite of what people do when they ground the club (grounding generally means line the ball towards to toe to hit the middle).

Generally 105+ is going to need at least a stiff, xstiff when you start heading north of 112. However, not all stiff shafts are stiff. For example a Stiff Radix 6 plays very, very soft to flex while a Motore Speeder 7.1 will play very stiff to it's flex.

Is there any way you can go for a shaft fitting? Replacing a shaft is about way more then swing speed alone. You also need to look at launch angle, spin rates, attack angle, etc and that has to be matched to the driver head you want.

Say for example you had a TM Super Tri with 9.5 loft, you want to lower the ball flight and spin rate while having a steep attack angle. In terms of shafts you would need something tip stiff to drop both of those generally. But because the Super Tri is a high launch/high spin head you'll have to look at something with an even stiff tip to compensate and/or change the driver loft fo 8.5 instead.

I know that's not the simple answer but getting a properly fit shaft is a tricky business let alone fitting a good enough shaft.

Tempo, transition, and shaft loading also effect your flex. If you look at my iron distances you would think that I fit square into the middle of a stiff. However I play Project X 5.0 and was fit to them. That's a hair stiffer than DG R300, but well below S300.

The reason for this was explained to me that my tempo is slow, transition is slow, and I don't load the shaft heavily at the top. A lot of my power comes from a very fast hand release right before I hit the ball.

Not that I think you care about my swing but I'm just trying to show you that you probably swing differently than I do. Because of that you could hit the ball the exact same distances as I do or anyone else does and need a stiffer or weaker flex than one of us.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

I think that the shaft weight matters, but not the flex. I use myself as an example. I have a SS of about 95, and my driver has a stiff shaft. I still hit it out there 250-280 w/ roll.

Go get fitted...there's too many variables. For example, I swing 110+ and play a Nike Dymo w/ regular flex.....and I hit it straight, 250-270 on the fly.

My swing speed and this shaft typically don't work together

63 gram diamana Blueboard S flex. I can get more distance out of an R in this shaft but I need the lower launch of the S because it's very windy here in HI. Don't want the ball getting blown all over the place.

As Colt and a few others mentioned, swing speed is only ONE variable when it comes to selecting flex.

Swing type, where the face is striking the ball, ball flight, spin, launch angle....etc

All of these and more are taken into consideration when fitting for a driver shaft. It's not just about shaft stiffness. There's weight of the shaft, kickpoint, length.

Swing type, where the face is striking the ball, ball flight, spin, launch angle....etc

All of these and more are taken into consideration when fitting for a driver shaft. It's not just about shaft stiffness. There's weight of the shaft, kickpoint, length.

Last edited:
My SS is 108-110+ Regular flex is much too whippy for you and for me. If you were hitting the previous stiff shaft well then you might think about just replacing the broken shaft with what was in it before, which would be a pretty sure thing. If you decide to go with something different then definitely get fitted for it. Different shaft makers have different ideas about what stiff or X-stiff is and they can vary a lot. You can also flounder around a lot trying to find the right combination of trajectory, spin and weight. Also go somewhere and hit as many different drivers and shafts as you can, it can be a long process.

How a golfer loads the shaft too. Some tempos are quick, some are smoother. This will affect flex. Kickpoint is where the shaft will bend or flex. The lower (toward the clubhead) the higher the ball will go and vice versa.

I load and unload slow/steady. Then release the fury right before impact. I dont overswing, I keep it at about 70-80%. Max swing speed was 122 on full power, but that ball path was...well, a huge slice. All the pressure is put on before impact so I'm sure my shaft wont get the tension most do while they unload at full speed all the way through. Maybe thats why with a stiff i have to ground it towards the heel.

You might most definately want to go get fitted. If someone was telling you that your swing speed was 122...even at full speed, I think their machine might be bumped up. I'm not calling you a liar by any means, but rarely does anyone swing that speed.

I was trying to find a new driver, (my first real driver, not my Top Flight XL7000 that I started out with) and when I went into the simulator at this shop I was swinging 132. I SAY AGAIN 132!!! Needless to say I left and went somewhere else. My SS around that time was 88-90 with the driver. Now I'm up to 101 with a steady controlled swing but I will never see 115. 122 is absolute beast mode...or a lot of Golf__insert 3 letters here__ forum members SS...whichever you choose.

I load and unload slow/steady. Then release the fury right before impact. I dont overswing, I keep it at about 70-80%. Max swing speed was 122 on full power, but that ball path was...well, a huge slice. All the pressure is put on before impact so I'm sure my shaft wont get the tension most do while they unload at full speed all the way through. Maybe thats why with a stiff i have to ground it towards the heel.
A club fitter would be the best judge of that. He'd be able to watch your swing, put you on a launch monitor, etc. All we'd be doing is guessing Shack. :)

Fixed old blank quoted post...my bad.

I donated to THP since you guys answered things that others usually roll their eyes to. And for that I thank you.

shaft flex shmaff flex,I want you to teach me how to shoot par after 6 months,hell at my rate I won't shoot par in 6 years.

Back