PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Swingbyte

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

kolosy
07-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Kind of depressing to find out the "in 1300 at&t locations" may be a bit premature. I drove 100 miles to find out no place in Harrisburg, Pa has it.

Hopefully ordering online doesnt pan out to waiting forever.

It looks like there's a store that carries it at

100 S 32ND ST
Camp Hill

I would call to make sure they've got it in stock though, and online is pretty quick too - we're shipping within 2-3 business days with free ground.

Khaot1c
07-06-2012, 03:52 PM
The AT&T Store in Abilene, TX doesn't have it. No surprise really - they don't have the SGS3 either :/
I'll keep following this to see how things go. The strap issue seems to be a work in progress with newer units going out the door with the new straps. So provided you order online it sounds like you're guaranteed a new strap. Right?
The fee's for online service kinda bugs me. I hate paying for my SkyCaddie service as it is. I have a couple of fitness devices (Garmin Forerunner gets used the most) that offer online services with history, comparisons, etc. The service level I need is free - basic history and comparisons to my own data. Not so much concerned with a comparison to anyone else. My runs are my runs. Just like, my swing is my swing.
Not bagging on the product or the decisions, just giving my 2 cents worth.

kolosy
07-06-2012, 05:09 PM
The AT&T Store in Abilene, TX doesn't have it. No surprise really - they don't have the SGS3 either :/
I'll keep following this to see how things go. The strap issue seems to be a work in progress with newer units going out the door with the new straps. So provided you order online it sounds like you're guaranteed a new strap. Right?
The fee's for online service kinda bugs me. I hate paying for my SkyCaddie service as it is. I have a couple of fitness devices (Garmin Forerunner gets used the most) that offer online services with history, comparisons, etc. The service level I need is free - basic history and comparisons to my own data. Not so much concerned with a comparison to anyone else. My runs are my runs. Just like, my swing is my swing.
Not bagging on the product or the decisions, just giving my 2 cents worth.

Hey Khaot1c, there will be a free tier, so if you don't want to pay for service, you don't have to - you'll get the service level that you want. I'm looking up what store near you should have one in stock..

kolosy
07-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Looks like this store should have them:

3329 TURNER PLZ STE 108S
Abilene, TX

if not, they're sold out.

pasipple
07-06-2012, 09:44 PM
And has tHe issue with the Swingbyte slippage been resolved?

Kmac
07-06-2012, 10:55 PM
So I was ordering a car mount for my phone when one of these pops up as one of the other things I can buy from AT&T.... Wtf? Thought that was a little strange.

Buckjob
07-07-2012, 10:51 AM
So I was ordering a car mount for my phone when one of these pops up as one of the other things I can buy from AT&T.... Wtf? Thought that was a little strange.

Lol they must have known it was you! Did you buy one?

Khaot1c
07-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Looks like this store should have them:

3329 TURNER PLZ STE 108S
Abilene, TX

if not, they're sold out.

Thanks for the info. My trip here is wrapping up and I'm not sure what kind of time I'll have.
Can you give me info on purchase point at zipcode: 32579 ?

Thanks again!!

Kmac
07-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Lol they must have known it was you! Did you buy one?

No lol I didn't.

ParHunter
07-10-2012, 12:23 PM
So any updates on how the new straps perform?

When will the SwingByte be available to purchase from other countries the the US and Canada.
I've asked this before but never got an answer.

Nate
07-10-2012, 01:48 PM
So any updates on how the new straps perform?

I have not received them as of yet.....anyone else?

bellken
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
no new straps here, either. I think they might still be in test.

bbuonic81
07-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Anyone in the Boston area know of any local stores that have this in stock?

kolosy
07-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Guys - here are the two areas asked:

425 Mary Esther Blvd, Mary Esther FL 32569

349 Washington st, Boston,
100 CAMBRIDGESIDE PL, Cambridge MA

In terms of straps, something to clarify:

the only thing being changed with the straps is using a slightly different material. this doesn't address the slipping, just improves durability. The slippage issue is being addressed with an insert that a few THP'ers are testing right now. If folks like it, we'll start making those and shipping shortly.

Thanks,
Alex.

overkil2
07-12-2012, 12:15 PM
I just checked and they have it in one of the Miami AT&T stores. I think I'm heading there during lunch to pick one up.

TripleBogieTim
07-12-2012, 12:18 PM

Even the At&t website has heard of the legendary man formally known as OEM Kevin....LOL

Adam Hartzell
07-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Quick question. I added all of my clubs into the app on my iPhone. Is there a way to get the club data onto my iPad with out having to re-enter everything??

Frank Bullitt
07-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Good Morning Gentlemen - I hope your day goes better than mine did yesterday. I found a Swingbyte at my local AT&T. As a 13 handicap, I feel my swing has taken me as far as it can without getting structurally better. I come over the top and I practice quite a bit so I've dialed in a bad path, so this device is perfect for me and I was VERY excited about getting it.

My problem was that the device would not pair via bluetooth with my iPhone4. I fussed for an hour trying to get it to pair. I tried to get support via the site, the support on the site is HORRIBLE - where is a downloadable manual, or some troubleshooting information? The site requires that you send in a question, if it's after hours, then you wait until the next day, this is a big con in my opinion. So after fussing for an hour, I drove out to the AT&T store and exchanged for another one, I got this one in the car and it would not pair either. At this point I was really frustrated and ready to take everything back. Finally, I thought I should go to the Apple Store and check my phone. I tried pairing it to a iPhone4 in the store and it paired perfectly. So, there was a problem with my phone. The Apple Store rep reformatted my iPhone4 with a new copy of the OS. Once a fresh OS was installed we tried to pair my phone to the device again, it still would not pair. So, after some discussion with management at the store, Apple decided to replace my phone even though it was 22 days past my replacement/warranty period. I have to go back this morning and get it replaced via an appointment, but hopefully this will resolve the problem.

I would be nice if Swingbyte had some troubleshooting stuff up on the site, they could have saved me some time. I understand the product is new and is run by 3 young MBA's just starting out in the biz world (and I'm I'm rooting for them), but the site feels thin to me.

Long story short, it was Apple's fault, not Swingbyte, but getting to that determination was painful....

FB

@CPA
07-14-2012, 02:06 AM
Long story short, it was Apple's fault, not Swingbyte, but getting to that determination was painful....

FB

I dont know how a swingbyte help page could have helped. Bluetooth pairing is one of those annoying issues and if it was not the swingbyte there would have been nothing swingbyte could have suggested. Just imagine when the last troubleshoot tip is "your 20 day old iphone4 is *******", your reaction is........

It was either a problem with the swingbyte or phone.
Before you travel test the swingbyte- pair it to a different iphone4.

If it paired it was your iphone- go straight to apple do not pass go.
If it does not pair go to swingbyte.

I find mostly that bluetoothe pairing issues are ussually from not placing devices in pairing mode, not entering passcode or the phone.

Good to hear you got if fixed. Await you impression of Swingbyte.

@CPA
07-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Quick question. I added all of my clubs into the app on my iPhone. Is there a way to get the club data onto my iPad with out having to re-enter everything??

Adam

once you create a user account with swingbyte your golf bag shows up on the new device when you login.

kolosy
07-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Good Morning Gentlemen - I hope your day goes better than mine did yesterday. I found a Swingbyte at my local AT&T. As a 13 handicap, I feel my swing has taken me as far as it can without getting structurally better. I come over the top and I practice quite a bit so I've dialed in a bad path, so this device is perfect for me and I was VERY excited about getting it.My problem was that the device would not pair via bluetooth with my iPhone4. I fussed for an hour trying to get it to pair. I tried to get support via the site, the support on the site is HORRIBLE - where is a downloadable manual, or some troubleshooting information? The site requires that you send in a question, if it's after hours, then you wait until the next day, this is a big con in my opinion. So after fussing for an hour, I drove out to the AT&T store and exchanged for another one, I got this one in the car and it would not pair either. At this point I was really frustrated and ready to take everything back. Finally, I thought I should go to the Apple Store and check my phone. I tried pairing it to a iPhone4 in the store and it paired perfectly. So, there was a problem with my phone. The Apple Store rep reformatted my iPhone4 with a new copy of the OS. Once a fresh OS was installed we tried to pair my phone to the device again, it still would not pair. So, after some discussion with management at the store, Apple decided to replace my phone even though it was 22 days past my replacement/warranty period. I have to go back this morning and get it replaced via an appointment, but hopefully this will resolve the problem.I would be nice if Swingbyte had some troubleshooting stuff up on the site, they could have saved me some time. I understand the product is new and is run by 3 young MBA's just starting out in the biz world (and I'm I'm rooting for them), but the site feels thin to me. Long story short, it was Apple's fault, not Swingbyte, but getting to that determination was painful....FBHi Frank,Sorry for the trouble, but there is a good amount of troubleshooting info available at support.swingbyte.com Hopefully you won't need it, but just in case...

Adam Hartzell
07-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Adam

once you create a user account with swingbyte your golf bag shows up on the new device when you login.

Tried that after backing both devices up to the cloud, the clubs still didn't appear on the iPad.

Adam Hartzell
07-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Nevermind. I just found out I was entering the wrong password on the iPad. It would have been nice if it didn't take two days for tr software to tell me that.

sangoram
07-15-2012, 04:15 AM
I was able to get out and use the Swingbyte at the same time I had the Trackman set up to record. I had both of them working fine with the Swingbyte sending data to my iPad2 without any real trouble (occasional freezing in the record sequence prevented multiple swing acquisition in the same recording but stopping and starting the recording generally fixed this quickly).

The device with the adapter piece secured fine to the clubhead and the new straps held it on just fine as well. I didn't notice much change in position of the swingbyte after swinging the club multiple times. My swing speed is about 90mph but I also had a guy who could generate mid 100mph speeds also swing the club so I could troubleshoot the tech and look for correlation in the two sets of data.

Unfortunately, I quickly realized that there was very little correlation between the face angle, club path and launch angles with respect to the gold standard Trackman data. The Swingbyte was certainly registering and giving data, in fact swing speeds were matching up very nicely. But the lack of any precision to the face angle and club path really makes me feel that they need to go back to the drawing board on the algorithms that convert position/velocity/acceleration information and interpolate position of the clubhead at impact. The function as it stands now isn't getting it right unfortunately. I was excited to try this out in anticipation of bring it to some of the guys on the team so that they could use it as a way to check and deliver club feedback numbers without having to hit in front of the trackman but as it stands it'd be a waste of their time. I certainly wished I could give a more positive review but the numbers weren't making sense.

@CPA
07-15-2012, 09:21 AM
I was able to get out and use the Swingbyte at the same time I had the Trackman set up to record. I had both of them working fine with the Swingbyte sending data to my iPad2 without any real trouble (occasional freezing in the record sequence prevented multiple swing acquisition in the same recording but stopping and starting the recording generally fixed this quickly).

The device with the adapter piece secured fine to the clubhead and the new straps held it on just fine as well. I didn't notice much change in position of the swingbyte after swinging the club multiple times. My swing speed is about 90mph but I also had a guy who could generate mid 100mph speeds also swing the club so I could troubleshoot the tech and look for correlation in the two sets of data.

Unfortunately, I quickly realized that there was very little correlation between the face angle, club path and launch angles with respect to the gold standard Trackman data. The Swingbyte was certainly registering and giving data, in fact swing speeds were matching up very nicely. But the lack of any precision to the face angle and club path really makes me feel that they need to go back to the drawing board on the algorithms that convert position/velocity/acceleration information and interpolate position of the clubhead at impact. The function as it stands now isn't getting it right unfortunately. I was excited to try this out in anticipation of bring it to some of the guys on the team so that they could use it as a way to check and deliver club feedback numbers without having to hit in front of the trackman but as it stands it'd be a waste of their time. I certainly wished I could give a more positive review but the numbers weren't making sense.

What are the chances you can post a table of 10 7 iron shots swingbyte and trackman side by side.

kolosy
07-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Sangoram,

This is something that's been discussed here before - track man numbers won't line up because of different frames of reference. Another thp'er put up comparison numbers in this thread and we talked through it. The only two numbers that are an apples to apples comparison are club head speed and angle of attack, and we've found that we define angle of attack differently than trackman. Our numbers are typically a few degrees steeper there.

In general, the issue is that the reference point that trackman has for face angle and others, is the target line that's set through its camera. The reference point that Swingbyte has is the face at address. This means that all angles that are somehow related to the direction of the club face relative to the target are going to be different. Swingbyte is going to be internally consistent, but will provide different numbers. We're putting together a pro matrix that will give a reference for what those numbers look like.

@CPA
07-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Kolosy are you saying the clubpath number is derived by the offset to face at address?

@CPA
07-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Sangoram when you do the test again mark a line at the ball perpendicular to targetline and ensure clubface is square at address. Then data may be better compared.

Adam Hartzell
07-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Okay. I've reset my password for the app and I've backed both devices up to the cloud. However, the clubs I entered on my iPhone don't show up on the iPad.

I thought that the cloud would allow this to happen but maybe it's coming in a future update. I guess I'll just enter everything manually for now.

bellken
07-16-2012, 11:17 AM
This use to work in earlier versions of the app, but, it appears one of the updates broke it. I need to re-log in to the app to get the data to sync. (note:, I didn't check my golf bag on my tablet, just the swing history)

Frank Bullitt
07-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Hi Sangoram,

I'm interested in your opinion in a couple of things. (1) - what did you think of the playback feature? (it appears to me that there is an exaggerated loop at the top, both my brother and I had a huge loop at the top during transition back to the ball in the visual playback), and (2) - can you elaborate on the club path numbers. I was under the impression that trackman can't give you club path, are you saying that the club path numbers are incorrect with the swingbyte?

Thank you for your input!

Best,
FB

Nate
07-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Hi Sangoram,

I'm interested in your opinion in a couple of things. (1) - what did you think of the playback feature? (it appears to me that there is an exaggerated loop at the top, both my brother and I had a huge loop at the top during transition back to the ball in the visual playback), and (2) - can you elaborate on the club path numbers. I was under the impression that trackman can't give you club path, are you saying that the club path numbers are incorrect with the swingbyte?

Best,
FB

If you have questions about your exaggerated loop at the top, why don't you try and video your swing and then look at it to compare with the playback? Also, I did this with some of the tour pros to see how much drag they had in their swing. Doing something like this might also help to compare your data.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?28154-Introducing-Swingbyte&p=1365727&viewfull=1#post1365727

Adam Hartzell
07-16-2012, 02:04 PM
This use to work in earlier versions of the app, but, it appears one of the updates broke it. I need to re-log in to the app to get the data to sync. (note:, I didn't check my golf bag on my tablet, just the swing history)

I don't even get my swing history. Even after deleting the app from my iPad and starting from scratch.

kolosy
07-16-2012, 06:26 PM
I don't even get my swing history. Even after deleting the app from my iPad and starting from scratch.

We're doing some maintenance on the server in preparation for a public beta. Let me see if that broke something.

Thanks,
Alex.

kolosy
07-16-2012, 06:34 PM
We're doing some maintenance on the server in preparation for a public beta. Let me see if that broke something.

Thanks,
Alex.

Also - those of you that are having sync issues, please email support@swingbyte.com with

- your swingbyte account
- what device you're syncing from
- what device you're syncing to
- if either is a tablet, please specify whether it's wifi only or cellular also.

thanks!

sceptor
07-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Finally got my swingbyte. It was sent to my billing address by mistake and then I had to get them to send it to me where I am presently. Time is excruciating when your waiting.

After the first swing it told me I needed to calibrate it, so I was to set it down or lean it on something and then hit enter. I never got the chance, by the time I set it down the screen said calibration was complete. The club was moving the whole time so I dont see how it could have calibrated. So I will try again later.

One thing would be nice, a way to quickly select a birds eye view and closeup of the swingpath as the club goes through impact. An arc of the club path with a 3D vector showing the direction of the clubface would be great. It would aid in interpreting all of the numbers each time.

Now to see if it comes close to agreeing with Dancindogg's simulator.

@CPA
07-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Now to see if it comes close to agreeing with Dancindogg's simulator.

You do know the dancing dog is regarded as not too accurate?

The Trackman is the test, or Protee or flightscope x2 or Foresight GC2 with HMT

Then it comes down to what point is actually measured.

For the moment I just want to get the thing calibrated to targetline so the numbers make sense.

vicoz2009
07-17-2012, 06:59 AM
I still wish they improve the user interface. It becomes pretty annoying at the range, this is for both iphone and Ipad formats. I would like to be able to navigate through previous swings from the front screen. Anybody else finding it cumbersome?

kolosy
07-17-2012, 10:52 AM
I still wish they improve the user interface. It becomes pretty annoying at the range, this is for both iphone and Ipad formats. I would like to be able to navigate through previous swings from the front screen. Anybody else finding it cumbersome?

we do :)

update coming soon to address some of these issues.

Raphael_4
07-17-2012, 01:03 PM
How far along is the testing for the new mounts? Curious to think what the members think that were able to test them.

@CPA
07-17-2012, 06:53 PM

I havee suggested a table like the gc2 history. It includes all the swings and data in 1 table and easily read and compared.

sceptor
07-17-2012, 07:38 PM
CPA,

For $300 I really dont expect DDog to be real accurate. It does however do a pretty good job with club path and face angle, and thats what I am curious about with swingbyte. Since it's relative to how it's positioned at address, it really shouldnt be that hard to line it up so it's down the target line of DDog. Maybe. A few more beers and Ill be ready.

@CPA
07-17-2012, 11:45 PM
I'd just wait for Sangoram to test against Trackman.

My guess is you will just end up scratching your head, and that's not as a result of the beer.

sangoram
07-18-2012, 02:54 AM
Hi Sangoram,

Best,
FB

1) Playback feature-- Can't comment on it in great detail. It looks ok to me (the sickle appearance of the club head path from the hands staying closer to the body on the downswing is a general feature of most swings and casting can take this away...) This isn't duplicated by Trackman...
2) Trackman is however able to give club path, face angle and attack angle numbers probably by virtue of the doppler directly following the clubhead plus some calculations based on the initial ball flight data in combination. I don't know this for a fact either but I do know that the numbers make a lot more sense based on watching ball flights and talking to guys on the machine who really know their swings. The trackman has trouble giving this data with irons because of divots interfering with the analysis. It works best with driver, woods and irons if you sweep them (or take almost no divot).

I found that the Swingbyte club path and face angle numbers did not jive well the Trackman, sometimes more than 10 degrees off in face angle and this is physically impossible to get the ball going on the lines I was watching with numbers I was seeing. I'll post the direct comparison of the data soon but I haven't had a chance to pull the data off the trackman yet and since I was unimpressed and it wasn't very close I wasn't so motivated to do so. Had it been close, I would have done it so that you guys could see this correlation. But I suppose it'll be valuable either way. Club head speed however did correlate nicely without too much variability. It makes sense that this could be measured more accurately than the other parameters since they can be much more sensitive to play in the device position etc.

sangoram
07-18-2012, 02:58 AM
What are the chances you can post a table of 10 7 iron shots swingbyte and trackman side by side.

Just saw this... Will try to post the results (for drivers not 7 iron as trackman flakes with divots) soon.

sceptor
07-22-2012, 04:03 PM
So I decided to turn the device slightly counter clockwise to about 2oclock and voila, instantly getting closed face and in to out swing path.

Yep, I did this as well and interestingly the SB and Dancingdogg's optishot started having similar numbers. I need to do it a bit more methodically, and record the results so I can see if they really are correlating or not.

One thing to note. The 10" droid tab (samsung tab 2) displays shot "data" on the screen along with the swing plane arc as you are swinging. The 7" and the droid phone do not. I was hoping I could cheap out a bit and use the 7" tab, but without swing data available in realtime (vs. several screens to go back and forth) It's not very helpful as being a "feedback" device.

The overhead shot is great for watching wrist cock hold or early release. Especially with shorter wedge swings.

Well back to walmart to return the 7" and get another 10" tablet.

@CPA
07-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Kolosy

any word on the targetline calibration ?

cheers

kolosy
07-25-2012, 02:52 AM
We're working on it. We have a prototype that we're testing, we just want to make sure that it's fully fleshed out before we announce it to the public.

sceptor
07-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Well the more I use it, the more I begin to think it will be yet another training aid that never lived up to the hype.

How it determines that an impact face to path of 8.1 degrees closed, and an impact club path of 4.3 degrees in-out equals a straight slice is beyond me.

kolosy
07-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Well the more I use it, the more I begin to think it will be yet another training aid that never lived up to the hype.

How it determines that an impact face to path of 8.1 degrees closed, and an impact club path of 4.3 degrees in-out equals a straight slice is beyond me.

is that face to path or face to address? we're looking at how those shot shapes get labeled, the next update should improve that logic.

the fact is that we have to make too many assumptions to estimate ball flight, so we may drop that altogether.

@CPA
07-25-2012, 10:50 PM
If it is path that is a draw or hook.

I don't care for the description as I have gc2, others using on the range would not need it either.

If you want to know the numbers and buy SB I think you would have enough knowledge to guess the shot shape.

I suggest you drop it.

kolosy
07-26-2012, 12:56 AM
guys - we're ready to open the website beta to THP'ers!

keep in mind we're still making lots of changes, so you'll see improvements in the coming weeks, but we want to start getting more folks on so we can get as much feedback as we can.

please send all feedback to beta@swingbyte.com

to log in, go to http://my.swingbyte.com and log in with your swingbyte credentials.

please note, at the moment you need to use FireFox or Chrome. We'll support the standard range of browsers shortly, but for the moment we do need one of those two.

we look forward to everyone's feedback!

sceptor
07-26-2012, 07:15 AM
I went and looked at the site, not too bad. I dont think it's worth $50/month as it is, but hopefully there's still more to be added. Maybe if there were instructions on how to use it to improve your swing in the form of golf lessons of some sort.

I would suggest that a different pro be found, at least one that can release the club at impact. I couldnt find a shot that had a closed face to path value. Pretty much every shot would be a fade, pull or a slice with the values given. Pros dont keep their cards very long when they spend most of the time hunting for their balls. :D

kolosy
07-26-2012, 10:05 AM
I went and looked at the site, not too bad. I dont think it's worth $50/month as it is, but hopefully there's still more to be added. Maybe if there were instructions on how to use it to improve your swing in the form of golf lessons of some sort.

I would suggest that a different pro be found, at least one that can release the club at impact. I couldnt find a shot that had a closed face to path value. Pretty much every shot would be a fade, pull or a slice with the values given. Pros dont keep their cards very long when they spend most of the time hunting for their balls. :D

the pro data is across a number of different guys, and we're loading more guys in.

that said - here's a closed one :)

https://my.swingbyte.com/e/47188486i

also - the service will be $50 per year (so less than 5 bucks a month) and there will always be a free option.

shortyred
07-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I can't see the whole swing animation. The swing is to big, it doesn't fit the screen.

shortyred
07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Why does swingbyte take soooo long to ship? I ordered Sunday and this is Friday and still no notification!!

ERdiesel
07-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Curious as to what club this swing was with.

ERdiesel
07-26-2012, 11:33 AM
guys - we're ready to open the website beta to THP'ers!

keep in mind we're still making lots of changes, so you'll see improvements in the coming weeks, but we want to start getting more folks on so we can get as much feedback as we can.

please send all feedback to beta@swingbyte.com

to log in, go to http://my.swingbyte.com and log in with your swingbyte credentials.

please note, at the moment you need to use FireFox or Chrome. We'll support the standard range of browsers shortly, but for the moment we do need one of those two.

we look forward to everyone's feedback!

Site looks great!!! A couple of issues though:

1) Swing should fit on the screen
2) Allow user to set a default view for the swing so that I don't have to constantly toggle from the 3D default to DTL or FO views.
3) I think you should label the swing screen with the club itself so if I was to share just the "picture" we know what club was used.

kolosy
07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
I can't see the whole swing animation. The swing is to big, it doesn't fit the screen.

you can zoom in and out with the scroll wheel of your mouse, or the +/- key on your keyboard

kolosy
07-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Site looks great!!! A couple of issues though:

1) Swing should fit on the screen
2) Allow user to set a default view for the swing so that I don't have to constantly toggle from the 3D default to DTL or FO views.
3) I think you should label the swing screen with the club itself so if I was to share just the "picture" we know what club was used.

thanks!

noted on all fronts. btw - you can zoom with the scroll wheel or keyboard +/-. you can also click-drag to rotate in 3d or reposition in the others.

kolosy
07-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Curious as to what club this swing was with.

that was a 5i.

note to self... anonymous swing view needs to show the club name :)

kolosy
07-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Why does swingbyte take soooo long to ship? I ordered Sunday and this is Friday and still no notification!!

shoot a note to support@swingbyte.com, they'll look into it.

IceyShanks
07-26-2012, 12:05 PM
the pro data is across a number of different guys, and we're loading more guys in.

that said - here's a closed one :)

https://my.swingbyte.com/e/47188486i

also - the service will be $50 per year (so less than 5 bucks a month) and there will always be a free option.

That is awesome, A very cool feature and option!!!

ERdiesel
07-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Kolosy,

I take a lot of 3/4 type swings (especially with clubs from 7i on down) as i'm sure the "pros" do as well however i'm assuming that all of the model "pro" swings on the site are full swings. Are there 3/4 type swings you can include across the various clubs (and mark them as such). with a 3/4 swing i'm curious to see if that little loop thing at top disappears since you go up, and come back down from the inside..........so you'll see a more pronounced drop at the top as you transition into the "slot"?

kolosy
07-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Kolosy,

I take a lot of 3/4 type swings (especially with clubs from 7i on down) as i'm sure the "pros" do as well however i'm assuming that all of the model "pro" swings on the site are full swings. Are there 3/4 type swings you can include across the various clubs (and mark them as such). with a 3/4 swing i'm curious to see if that little loop thing at top disappears since you go up, and come back down from the inside..........so you'll see a more pronounced drop at the top as you transition into the "slot"?

we've been building a database of full pro swings, but that's definitely something we can start to include.

the pro swings aren't static, they'll keep building.

mschad
07-26-2012, 03:13 PM
is that face to path or face to address? we're looking at how those shot shapes get labeled, the next update should improve that logic.

the fact is that we have to make too many assumptions to estimate ball flight, so we may drop that altogether.

Please don't drop that feature. That is very nice for a high level view of your swing without having to dig into the numbers.

ERdiesel
07-26-2012, 05:43 PM

I wouldn't drop it. Yes, the description of ball flight may currently be wrong like 99.9% of the time BUT, just fix the logic so it is based not off of any assumptions (not sure why you're assuming anything in trying to make this determination) and is based purely off the data from your device. For ball flight determination you only need: 1) club face at impact 2) swing path --- Both data points that are captured by your device (though once again depending on target line and orientation of device on club, could be right or wrong). If you want to continue to capture the data points above, than I would also display expected ball flight. Here is a good source for how ball flight laws work:

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

With the above, also let the public know how you are determining ball flight, basically educate us as to why you're displaying a slice or a push or a pull, regardless of whether it's right or wrong (it should always be right according to data points captured, though the data points themselves might be suspect).

kolosy
07-26-2012, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't drop it. Yes, the description of ball flight may currently be wrong like 99.9% of the time BUT, just fix the logic so it is based not off of any assumptions (not sure why you're assuming anything in trying to make this determination) and is based purely off the data from your device. For ball flight determination you only need: 1) club face at impact 2) swing path --- Both data points that are captured by your device (though once again depending on target line and orientation of device on club, could be right or wrong). If you want to continue to capture the data points above, than I would also display expected ball flight. Here is a good source for how ball flight laws work:

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

With the above, also let the public know how you are determining ball flight, basically educate us as to why you're displaying a slice or a push or a pull, regardless of whether it's right or wrong (it should always be right according to data points captured, though the data points themselves might be suspect).

there are two key assumptions that have to be made:
- what part of the club face made contact with the ball
- wind

other than that, you're certainly right - it's pretty straightforward and based on numbers we already get.

@CPA
07-26-2012, 07:20 PM
there are two key assumptions that have to be made:
- what part of the club face made contact with the ball
- wind

other than that, you're certainly right - it's pretty straightforward and based on numbers we already get.

Good luck. With the audience it is going to need to be right 99% of the time, forget the wind.

Logged into my swingbyte-my trophy, are now gone!!

Dont care for the competition aspect-think it is detrimental as trying to hit too hard is a big no.

The pro swings are anything but that ~ drivers hit with in-out path and open face-see yon on the next fairway . hope it wasn't you Kolosy.

kolosy
07-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Good luck. With the audience it is going to need to be right 99% of the time, forget the wind.

Logged into my swingbyte-my trophy, are now gone!!

Dont care for the competition aspect-think it is detrimental as trying to hit too hard is a big no.

The pro swings are anything but that ~ drivers hit with in-out path and open face-see yon on the next fairway . hope it wasn't you Kolosy.

the badges will come back, it's just being updated. the pro swings are a variety of shot shapes. we're going to filter them out a bit and clarify which are which.

... and I wish I could swing a driver at 115mph.

sceptor
07-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the chuckle. :D

sceptor
07-27-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm a little confused as to why the SB would consistently tell me the club face is open at address. I would think that if assumptions are needed to be made that having the club face pointing directly at the target at address would be the chosen direction. My club ALWAYS points at the target for this effort, yet the angles in the analysis reports are always open and vary from 1 to 15 degrees.

What would be nice, is having a text box to enter the desired club face angle at address and then base the rest of the swing from that. Even nicer would be a way to tell the software that I am setup so many degrees open (or closed) to the target line too. Plus a way to tell the software what the shaft angle is at address instead of it "adding to the lie" arbitrarily.

Oh yeh, as you know the 10" tablets can display the "selectable" data alongside the swingpath graphics. It would be nice to have the software remember my settings so the next time I start the program I dont have to reselect what I want to see on the screen.

One last thought, is there anyway to force a calibration on the SB? It always seems to pop up a box telling me calibration was required and it is complete. Invariably it seems, it's always when I am moving the club that this happens. So I have to wonder, did it think it calibrated itself while the club was moving? Does that explain why I see such odd numbers?

kolosy
07-30-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm a little confused as to why the SB would consistently tell me the club face is open at address. I would think that if assumptions are needed to be made that having the club face pointing directly at the target at address would be the chosen direction. My club ALWAYS points at the target for this effort, yet the angles in the analysis reports are always open and vary from 1 to 15 degrees.

What would be nice, is having a text box to enter the desired club face angle at address and then base the rest of the swing from that. Even nicer would be a way to tell the software that I am setup so many degrees open (or closed) to the target line too. Plus a way to tell the software what the shaft angle is at address instead of it "adding to the lie" arbitrarily.

Oh yeh, as you know the 10" tablets can display the "selectable" data alongside the swingpath graphics. It would be nice to have the software remember my settings so the next time I start the program I dont have to reselect what I want to see on the screen.

One last thought, is there anyway to force a calibration on the SB? It always seems to pop up a box telling me calibration was required and it is complete. Invariably it seems, it's always when I am moving the club that this happens. So I have to wonder, did it think it calibrated itself while the club was moving? Does that explain why I see such odd numbers?

The angle reported - are you referring to face to path or face to address?

as far as selectable offsets, we can certainly do that, but the issue is that it's pretty difficult for you to know how many degrees you're off from the target. shaft angle at address isn't arbitrary - it's just relative to the true horizon.

the settings being reset - i'll add that to the issue list, and the calibration dialog being messed up is an issue that's being fixed in the next release. the next release will also let you force calibration (due out this coming week)

d_in_la
07-30-2012, 02:47 AM
Kolosy, I gotta say, I'm thoroughly impressed with your willingness to engage with us, work off our feedback and your general high-touch-positive-attitude customer support. I sincerely hope your product continues to be successful.

mschad
07-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Kolosy, I gotta say, I'm thoroughly impressed with your willingness to engage with us, work off our feedback and your general high-touch-positive-attitude customer support. I sincerely hope your product continues to be successful.

+1 from this sb user!

kolosy
07-30-2012, 11:08 AM

thanks, but it's certainly a two-way street. you guys have been super helpful in making Swingbyte a better product. thanks for your continued feedback and participation!

dsc123
07-30-2012, 09:50 PM
So, I gather from the posts on here that the club head speed and angle of attack are accurate, but the rest isn't? Is that correct? I've been hitting putts with my swing byte and it seems like its telling me i'm swinging 4* out to in when I'm fairly certain I'm swinging in to out. Of course, I could be wrong, but if that data isn't accurate I'll probably shouldn't try to make changes to my swing based on the loft, path, and face angle.

@CPA
07-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Dse123

Agree you should not make changes at this stage.

dalostpinoy
07-31-2012, 12:52 AM

+100...

kolosy
07-31-2012, 01:52 AM
So, I gather from the posts on here that the club head speed and angle of attack are accurate, but the rest isn't? Is that correct? I've been hitting putts with my swing byte and it seems like its telling me i'm swinging 4* out to in when I'm fairly certain I'm swinging in to out. Of course, I could be wrong, but if that data isn't accurate I'll probably shouldn't try to make changes to my swing based on the loft, path, and face angle.

all the data points swingbyte provides are accurate, and verified. the reason you may be seeing an out to in number is two-fold - you may not have swingbyte aligned at the 3 o'clock position, or you may not be addressing perfectly neutral to the target line. remember - 1 minute mark on a watch face is 6 degrees, so 4 degrees is a small number to the naked eye.

the 3d view is also an accurate representation of your swing.

a great use of swingbyte is for comparing successive shots, as it's internally consistent.

Mathwiz
07-31-2012, 06:04 AM
I accessed the Swingbyte web site tonight and found it very interesting. I am a lefty. Does Swingbyte work for us?

9:00 position?

dsc123
07-31-2012, 08:51 AM
CPA,That is pretty damning. Isn't that the purpose of the device?

Can this even be fixed? It sounds like it is impossible to physically attach it to a club in a position that gives remotely accurate results. How close to 3 oclock can someone reasonably be expected to come? 2-3 minutes off? That's 8-12 degrees. I'm not an engineer or software guy so maybe, and hopefully, I'm wrong. But I don't see how software updates can fix this. Right now it looks like I spent $150 to measure my swing speed.

I'm not sure I understand how "internal accuracy" is useful. Is the point that it can tell me if I am swinging more in to out or my clubface is more open than the previous swing? Maybe then it should just record a few swings without giving data then spit out numbers relative to those. Instead its just spitting out false data. It's hard to understand the utility when the starting point is a mystery. I guess if you know you swing over the top you can take a swing and then try to improve the number you get. Just hope you didn't make a good swing by accident.

My last question is how can the 3d image be accurate if it can't tell what direction my club is my club is moving? Is the point that the shape of the path is accurate but the orientation relative to the target is not? I'm not sure what that tells you without the other info, but I can imagine that it could be useful.

I agreed that the service seems very responsive on here, and thats part of the reason why I bought it. I figured all the kinks would be worked out. But the responses are very vague. The data is inaccurate but its internally accurate? Although the data is bad,the 3d view is accurate? In what way? I have no idea how to use this thing. I don't even know what is accurate and what isn't, or how I can make use of the "internally accurate" data. If not for reading through 56 pages of posts on this website, how would a customer know any of this?

I sincerely hope that I am wrong and all these things can be fixed. This device could be a game changer.

kolosy
07-31-2012, 10:01 AM
CPA,That is pretty damning. Isn't that the purpose of the device?

Can this even be fixed? It sounds like it is impossible to physically attach it to a club in a position that gives remotely accurate results. How close to 3 oclock can someone reasonably be expected to come? 2-3 minutes off? That's 8-12 degrees. I'm not an engineer or software guy so maybe, and hopefully, I'm wrong. But I don't see how software updates can fix this. Right now it looks like I spent $150 to measure my swing speed.

I'm not sure I understand how "internal accuracy" is useful. Is the point that it can tell me if I am swinging more in to out or my clubface is more open than the previous swing? Maybe then it should just record a few swings without giving data then spit out numbers relative to those. Instead its just spitting out false data. It's hard to understand the utility when the starting point is a mystery. I guess if you know you swing over the top you can take a swing and then try to improve the number you get. Just hope you didn't make a good swing by accident.

My last question is how can the 3d image be accurate if it can't tell what direction my club is my club is moving? Is the point that the shape of the path is accurate but the orientation relative to the target is not? I'm not sure what that tells you without the other info, but I can imagine that it could be useful.

I agreed that the service seems very responsive on here, and thats part of the reason why I bought it. I figured all the kinks would be worked out. But the responses are very vague. The data is inaccurate but its internally accurate? Although the data is bad,the 3d view is accurate? In what way? I have no idea how to use this thing. I don't even know what is accurate and what isn't, or how I can make use of the "internally accurate" data. If not for reading through 56 pages of posts on this website, how would a customer know any of this?

I sincerely hope that I am wrong and all these things can be fixed. This device could be a game changer.

i'm not sure which responses are vague, so i'll restate here - all data points are accurate, and verified. we've spent time on swing robots with stationary radar systems, and high speed video systems.

the main issue is whether swingbyte is at 3 o'clock - you can reasonably eyeball that within a degree if you use the grooves on the club face as a guide, and we're putting together an alignment guide, and whether you're square to the target line. the reason i bring up the internal consistency aspect is that it lets you focus on the parts of the swing you want to change. you take a baseline, and then you see what changes impact what numbers. that way the absolute numbers aren't as important as the changes that you make. we see pros do this in lessons with swingbyte all the time, with great success.

kolosy
07-31-2012, 10:02 AM
I accessed the Swingbyte web site tonight and found it very interesting. I am a lefty. Does Swingbyte work for us?

9:00 position?

yup - on both counts

dsc123
07-31-2012, 11:46 AM
i'm not sure which responses are vague, so i'll restate here - all data points are accurate, and verified. we've spent time on swing robots with stationary radar systems, and high speed video systems.

the main issue is whether swingbyte is at 3 o'clock - you can reasonably eyeball that within a degree if you use the grooves on the club face as a guide, and we're putting together an alignment guide, and whether you're square to the target line. the reason i bring up the internal consistency aspect is that it lets you focus on the parts of the swing you want to change. you take a baseline, and then you see what changes impact what numbers. that way the absolute numbers aren't as important as the changes that you make. we see pros do this in lessons with swingbyte all the time, with great success.

I think there is potential for this to be a great device, even with its flaws. I'm not trying to flame it. But it can only be useful if the mfg is straightforward about what the device can and cannot measure.

I'll try to be more clear regarding why I think the responses are vague. For example, here is a swing that I took last night (putting):

1. Club face to address: 4.6* open
2. Club path 4.4* in to out
3. Club loft 4.0*
4. Shaft lean 2.0* forward
5. Club face to path 5.4* open
6. Lie angle 3* removed
7. Attack angle .4* up
8. Initial loft angle 2.3*
9. Initial shaft lean 1.7* forward
10. Initial lie angle 69.6*

You say: "All the data points are accurate, and verified." What does this actually mean? I think you will acknowledge that 1, 2, and 5 are only as accurate as I place the device on the club. So that right there is vague or misleading, at best. Your statement gives the impression that the numbers shown on my phone are correct when they are not.

Along the same lines, the FAQ on the website, in response to "How accurate is swingbyte" states: "We have cross-tested Swingbyte with most of the leading golf swing analysis technology and we are very pleased with the results. For example, club head speed on Swingbyte is usually within a couple of miles per hour of club head speed measurements on other devices. What is most important is that Swingbyte is internally accurate. From one swing to the next, if you swing faster, Swingbyte will capture that improvement."

This is a negative pregnant. The device gives 10 data points and this response claims that one of them is accurate, which begs the question. Although the website says you're pleased with the comparisons to "leading golf swing analysis technology", you acknowledged on here that only the swing speed and angle of attack are similar.

So instead we're told that its real value isn't in telling you if your clubface is open or shut but rather telling you that it was more open or shut than the last swing. Sure, a professional who knows every detail of his swing can take a swing with a swingbye, see 3* out to in and say to himself "well that's bs, that swing was 1* in to out" and then make good use of the device by subtracting 4* from the measurements. But if you don't already know this then how is this device useful? That's the ultimate question: how does the hacker use this to improve his game?

I've had my swingbyte for two months or so and I've used it maybe four times, all while putting indoors (brought it to the range once but it wouldn't connect). You can tell us the "data points" are accurate, but the fact of the matter is, I strap the thing on my putter and then what? I have no idea what my normal dynamic loft, club face, or swing path numbers are, how could I? It says my face is open 4* to the path, I know that I should be square to the path, but the data is totally dependent on how its attached to my club. That's the difference of one minute on a clock-face. Why would I try to square my clubface more at impact if I don't know that its not square to begin with?

I suppose you might say then that you must first know what to work on and that the swingbyte can't diganose problems. But even that wouldn't hold water. Say I take a lesson using a SAMLAB and i'm told that my clubface can be anywhere from square to open 6* at impact. The pro tells me to work on getting square more consistently. The next day at home I strap on my swingbyte and take a stroke that reads that i'm square. Was it a good swing or did I not attach the device right?

Lastly, there just isn't enough explanation of the data. When it says my swing path is 4.4* in to out what does that mean? Does that mean at impact my swing is still moving in to out? The goal of putting with an arc is to approach the ball from the inside, but be straight at impact. So aside from knowing whether it is accurate, I have no idea whether this is telling me that I'm still moving in to out when I should be going straight through or that I'm doing it correctly. I can't make changes based on that. This is just a matter of explaining what the device is doing. This could easily be done in an instruction manual or on the website.

Honestly, I am beginning to think this the lack of information is strategic. Maybe swingbyte has decided that it will sell the most units if it markets itself as a trackman substitute. So they tell you that they can give you the same data points and that they are "pleased" with its performance. Everything about these responses leave me wondering "why don't they just give a straight answer?" Embrace what the device does and how it can be used.

ERdiesel
07-31-2012, 03:15 PM
That's the ultimate question: how does the hacker use this to improve his game?

I think that it's been discussed to the nth degree in this thread that regardless of what the marketing literature says or claims, individual swing data by itself can be fairly useless until the issue of ensuring the device is exactly positioned at 3 oclock and the device does not move and that the system knows that you're aligned and square to your "intended" target line. With that said, where the device is invaluable given the above constraints is for those data points which aren't dependent on exact positioning of the device on the club such as the swing speed, tempo, etc. and the graphical representation of your swing and more importantly, when comparing one swing to another so you get a sense that swing B had more speed than swing A, with a more ideal tempo and maybe that swing B was "less" out to in than swing A. Comparing data from swing to swing is invaluable rather than taking one swing in isolation. With the swing graphic, which I find extremely useful and which I don't believe is dependent on alignment of the device, you will quickly know if you're coming in over the top, if you're coming in from inside/outside at impact, if your swing is steeper or flatter, etc.

That is how a "hacker" can extract value from the device for now while the SB crew works out some of the kinks that I mentioned above.

dsc123
07-31-2012, 04:02 PM
. . . With the swing graphic, which I find extremely useful and which I don't believe is dependent on alignment of the device, you will quickly know if you're coming in over the top, if you're coming in from inside/outside at impact, if your swing is steeper or flatter, etc. . . .

I'll have to use it some more to figure out how the swing to swing changes can be useful. Like I said, I've only used it for putting indoors. I can see how if I am the range and hitting a slice after slice I could strap this thing on and work on the swing path without relying on the absolute number.

As for the graphic, wouldn't it too be relative to the position of the device? I asked this in my first post but Kolosy responded to my other points. If it doesn't really know what direction the swing path is going, how can the graphic be accurate? Is it that the shape is accurate but the direction off?

kolosy
07-31-2012, 04:22 PM
I'll have to use it some more to figure out how the swing to swing changes can be useful. Like I said, I've only used it for putting indoors. I can see how if I am the range and hitting a slice after slice I could strap this thing on and work on the swing path without relying on the absolute number.

As for the graphic, wouldn't it too be relative to the position of the device? I asked this in my first post but Kolosy responded to my other points. If it doesn't really know what direction the swing path is going, how can the graphic be accurate? Is it that the shape is accurate but the direction off?

if swingbyte is rotated relative to the club shaft, then it will be like you said - the shape will be correct, but rotated incorrectly relative to the target line.

ERdiesel
07-31-2012, 04:36 PM

I'm sure there is "some" dependency on how the device is positioned on the shaft for the graphic to be 100% accurate, however, because it's a drawn "graphic" to me it doesn't have to be "precise" i mean face it, does it matter if it's a few degrees off in the drawn graphic? You can surely "eyeball" the placement of the device at approximately 3oclock to get a good idea of general swing path. I have a buddy who's a good player with a great looking swing to the eye, but with SB, its obvious that he's ever slightly over the top in his transition though he manages to get the club back on plane and hits from the inside. I was shocked, he was shocked, the over the top move is so slight that you can hardly tell with the naked eye and since he got it back on plane prior to impact, ball flight was usually great. With a slow mo camera you could see the slight OTT move (but only if you were looking for it - otherwise, one would probably not have noticed), it certainly wasn't a "drop" to the inside. So for him, SB was an eye opening moment and something he's looking to correct (though i'm of the belief, who cares since he does such a great job of getting to the ball from the inside at impact). Another thing i noticed is that he really hits down on the ball whereas I don't hit down on the ball as much and he's got so much more forward shaft lean when compared to me (once again, SB is great when comparing swing A to swing B) so i try to use SB to really try get a steeper attack angle and more forward shaft lean. The absolute number as to shaft lean and angle of attack at impact might be wrong, but i will know that swing #10 had more forward shaft lean and a steeper AoA than swing #1 and that's why the ball flight was what it was.

dsc123
07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
The absolute number as to shaft lean and angle of attack at impact might be wrong, but i will know that swing #10 had more forward shaft lean and a steeper AoA than swing #1 and that's why the ball flight was what it was.

Are those elements affected by the position of the device as well? It would be really helpful to know which numbers are effected and which are not. Maybe they all are?

Thanks for your responses!

ERdiesel
07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Are those elements affected by the position of the device as well? It would be really helpful to know which numbers are effected and which are not. Maybe they all are?

Thanks for your responses!

Yes I believe they are (has to know which way the shaft is leaning, if you put the device on at 9'oclock, i'm sure things would be backwards, but if it's relatively close to 3*oclock i think depending on the what data type it won't be "perfect" but should suffice) but my point is that i'm not relying on the data for a single swing in isolation, but on the comparison of one swing to another. I know that my buddy has almost 2-3 times attack angle than me and almost 2x as much forward shaft lean than me at impact. I'm not getting hung up on whether his AoA of -10* as registered by SB is accurate or not, but on how his -10* AoA is 2x the -5* that SB might be recording for me. With that information if I work on a swing change and now SB registers my -5* AoA has improved to -10* AoA, than I know my drills or swing change is working (btw, i'm making numbers up to make a point). Same goes for forward shaft lean at impact, i'm not getting hung up on actual numbers but on whether the DIRECTION of changes in data from swing to swing is trending in the direction that would warrant improvement for that data type. Hope that makes sense.

sceptor
07-31-2012, 09:43 PM
The angle reported - are you referring to face to path or face to address?

as far as selectable offsets, we can certainly do that, but the issue is that it's pretty difficult for you to know how many degrees you're off from the target. shaft angle at address isn't arbitrary - it's just relative to the true horizon.

the settings being reset - i'll add that to the issue list, and the calibration dialog being messed up is an issue that's being fixed in the next release. the next release will also let you force calibration (due out this coming week)

The angle I am referring to is face to address. I copied it below for reference.

"I'm a little confused as to why the SB would consistently tell me the club face is open at address. I would think that if assumptions are needed to be made that having the club face pointing directly at the target at address would be the chosen direction. My club ALWAYS points at the target for this effort, yet the angles in the analysis reports are always open and vary from 1 to 15 degrees."
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp6357%3B%3Enu%3D3395%3E%3B44%3E4%3B2% 3EWSNRCG%3D34573%3B%3A886344nu0mrj

sceptor
07-31-2012, 09:51 PM
but my point is that i'm not relying on the data for a single swing in isolation, but on the comparison of one swing to another.

So far I havent been able to detect a trend at all, the angles vary from swing to swing way too much. I.E. the face to address, I always set up exactly the same yet the "measured" angle always varies from 1 to 15 degrees.

Could be a forced calibration will help. I hope. But I suspect it will take a manual setting of the setup rather than the SB measuring it to get repeatable info.

@CPA
08-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Sceptor

For a test try keeping your clubface as square to targetline in the backswing as long as you can. My guess is the SB is registering a different address point for each swing. If the number differential lowers that will be it.

kolosy
08-01-2012, 01:01 AM
The angle I am referring to is face to address. I copied it below for reference.

"I'm a little confused as to why the SB would consistently tell me the club face is open at address. I would think that if assumptions are needed to be made that having the club face pointing directly at the target at address would be the chosen direction. My club ALWAYS points at the target for this effort, yet the angles in the analysis reports are always open and vary from 1 to 15 degrees."

are the swings you're checking with a wedge? and what's the lie added/removed?

mrchua
08-02-2012, 05:06 AM
How does this compare to the 3Bays GSA Pro?

FloydPT
08-03-2012, 09:56 AM
The swing speed and tempo check are enough to warrant getting it for me. More later from my viewpoint. It's also been very useful as a PT and using it with patients. If we do xyz (stretch, strengthen etc) then what changes?

George

ERdiesel
08-03-2012, 11:09 AM
If we do xyz (stretch, strengthen etc) then what changes?

George

Huh???

kolosy
08-03-2012, 01:44 PM
guys - new iOS update is out, Android is on its heels (a day or two behind)

this one should significantly improve the phone experience - way less clicking, more things accessible from the 3d screen, can have have data points visible on the data screen now for phones.

for both iPhones and iPads, you can also now change swings without going to the history tab - just swipe with two fingers back or forth over either the 3d screen or the data screen.

we'll put up a blog post shortly detailing everything...

FloydPT
08-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I didnt mean this as a question for swingbyte. Rather, This is a question i ask myself and the patient. If we stretch your hip or neck, etc. Or if I do a manual technique then how does your swing change? Does swing speed go up? Not come over the top as much etc. that's why the internal consistency is important. And this helps to know the best stretches for someone to do.

How many swings before someone is really warmed up? Then that's a great number for them to do at the course.

George

ERdiesel
08-03-2012, 05:03 PM
I didnt mean this as a question for swingbyte. Rather, This is a question i ask myself and the patient. If we stretch your hip or neck, etc. Or if I do a manual technique then how does your swing change? Does swing speed go up? Not come over the top as much etc. that's why the internal consistency is important. And this helps to know the best stretches for someone to do.

How many swings before someone is really warmed up? Then that's a great number for them to do at the course.

George

I see, though keep in mind that the SB crew might say that the device is "internally" consistent and this very well might be true, BUT, in real world usage, "internal" consistency is meaningless when comparing one swing to another without ensuring that the device has ZERO movement on the shaft from one swing to another. Right now that's not the case, so use your best judgement as to what bits of data is dependent on staying in the same position, and which bits of data aren't dependent on that (i.e. swing speed, tempo, etc.).

FloydPT
08-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I would assume that ZERO motion would be crucial for the club face alignmen and a couple other measurements. However, as long as the device wasn't sliding on each individual swing then swing speed and tempo should be accurate.

@CPA
08-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Any news on the targetline calibration Kolosy?

@CPA
08-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Obviously there is a problem setting targetline.

I would have thought hit a button, subscreen says place clubface square to targetline an press OK. Takes a reading and if clubface at address not 0 new screen says move SB and press OK, Another reading until 0.

Or is the problem that software cannot read SB live and SB only sends data after an impact?

sceptor
08-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Hopefully the problem isn't a lack of software/embedded expertise. I say lack of, because lots of startups have to contract out the engineering to bring a product to market. Contracting can take too much time and deliver less than stellar performance when it's feeling cranky.

@CPA
08-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Kolosy not viewing thread anymore........no answer today!

kolosy
08-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Hopefully the problem isn't a lack of software/embedded expertise. I say lack of, because lots of startups have to contract out the engineering to bring a product to market. Contracting can take too much time and deliver less than stellar performance when it's feeling cranky.

lots of startups certainly do, but luckily we've got a pretty sharp group of engineers that runs that entire gamut. everything done in-house here :)

kolosy
08-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Kolosy not viewing thread anymore........no answer today!

just got back, sorry for the delay.

unfortunately it's not quite as simple as you describe in your earlier post. we have to balance ease of use with precision - this is a feature that's requested by our most data-hungry folks and we want to make sure that we give them accurate and precise information. we're working on it, please bear with us. once we have a version that we're happy with, we'll reach out to you guys for testers.

@CPA
08-07-2012, 11:35 PM
I can hear the programming keys clicking from here- but keep the bad language down!

kolosy
08-08-2012, 12:47 AM
I can hear the programming keys clicking from here- but keep the bad language down!

hey - there's only so much i'm willing to promise :-p

bigtourist
08-10-2012, 07:04 PM
first off, great device, very useful and i'm excited to really see this thing fulfill its potential.

i just wanted to give some feedback on the website & android app (i have the new version updated on my nexus7) it is much more responsive, thanks for the update.

ANDROID
1. The nexus7 looks like it is displaying the phone version, only larger, would it be possible for it to get the tablet ui?

2. Dragging the icon through the swing is extremely jumpy b/c it tries to 'snap' onto the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and impact positions, it makes it very difficult to drag the swing to the position you would like to see.

3. The back arrow is very narrow and can be frustrating when you keep clicking and just miss. I think it would be nice if the area that contains both the arrow and the swingbyte logo would trigger the 'back' command

4. I record swings with my phone and then view later that day on the tablet, I know it eventually syncs the swing data, but I would like a button to force the data refresh from the web

BETA WEBPAGE (using the latest Chrome build on Windows 7 x64)

1. I can only drag the swing to the 3/4 marker. The whole time I move the swing position, the bar with the position markers changes size too

2. If I use the scroll wheel to move up and down the page to see more data, it can zoom out on the swing, but no matter which direction I scroll, it just keeps zooming out, and the only way to get back to the regular size is to reload the swing

3. It would be nice to be able to delete swings from the webpage

4. When switching between swings, it would be nice if it remembered the perspective you were viewing the previous swing from (ie DTL, Overhead, 3D)

5. The pro swings are very helpful, are you planning any way to view the average values? Also, if you could see the average values of all of your swings it would be great -- especially if you could see it broken down by avg thumbed up swings by day and thumbed down, etc.

Sorry for the onslaught, I just figured I would do a brain dump here. I dont want it to come off like I am slamming the device, I just wanted to communicate the issues I do have with it. I'm also looking forward for your alignment tool. Thanks for a great product!

-bigtourist

sceptor
08-11-2012, 09:23 AM
guys - new iOS update is out, Android is on its heels (a day or two behind)

Has the droid update been posted? If so, what is the version number of it?

@CPA
08-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Has the droid update been posted? If so, what is the version number of it?

Have not seen it here!

bellken
08-11-2012, 11:24 AM
version 1.4, I got the update yesterday. I like the new layout, but, it has app seems to have acquired some new behaviours.

sceptor
08-11-2012, 04:05 PM
My phone had it when I checked again. 1.4

kolosy
08-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Guys - the new update did go out, but it seems there a couple of issues with it. Please hold off updating until tomorrow. I'll post an update once it's resolved.

Specifically - the issue is that for phones (not tablets), the view selector isn't working (so you can't switch into overhead view and see the laser lines).

bellken
08-11-2012, 09:10 PM
getting a lot of fc's when attempting to switch views.

Greenbird
08-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Like some others, I haven't had much success getting 'real' readings from my SB. I would typically get very weird face-to-path & path angles. Swings that should be reporting big hooks were resulting in open-to-path club faces. One thing I was wondering, is if the moment in time where the address position is captured is incorrect. The reason I wonder this is, if you look at the following swings you will see some weird things.

Swing 1 - With my driver, my initial loft is reporting at 2.1 degrees (with a 9.5 deg club), with a forward shaft lean. I definitely do not have a forward shaft lean with my driver at address. Also, if you look at the swing, my impact point is about "1 foot" ahead of my address position (with some weird movement), and the impact loft is 0.8 degrees. I doubt 0.8 degrees of loft would get very high off the ground. I generally launch my driver pretty high compares to most people.

Swing 2 - A few similar issues with this one. The address issues are the same (forward shaft lean, very low loft) but this time the impact position is about "1 foot" behind my address position.

Swing 3 - With this swing the address position and impact position seemed to be in sync, but it's still reporting very low address loft and forward shaft lean.

edit: I guess a new poster can't post links, so these need to be typed in:

Swing 1: my (dot) swingbyte (dot) com (slash) e (slash) 1d8c98e4i
Swing 2: my (dot) swingbyte (dot) com (slash) e (slash) 24d73570i
Swing 3: my (dot) swingbyte (dot) com (slash) e (slash) 687c83b6i

Since address position seems to be so important for making accurate calculations, just wondering if the 'algorithm' that determines what the moment in time to capture address position has some flaws.

So far I haven't had any luck getting meaningful information out of this data.

bellken
08-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Just got version 1.4.3, it is looking better. I can switch views, again. I am not sure what the thumb up/down are for yet.

kolosy
08-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Just got version 1.4.3, it is looking better. I can switch views, again. I am not sure what the thumb up/down are for yet.

1.4.3 is good to go - folks can upgrade safely.

a quick run-down:

this version of the android app makes the app more android-friendly. it should be more stable and more phone-friendly, like the iOS app. the icons along the side for phones are shortcuts for common functions, such as going to the data screen, view and club selection. you can also now see a data point on the 3d screen for phones, and can select which data point is displayed by picking it in the detail screen.

the thumbs up/down is to let you classify which swings you liked and which you didn't. this information will feed into the web analytics shortly.

kolosy
08-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Like some others, I haven't had much success getting 'real' readings from my SB. I would typically get very weird face-to-path & path angles. Swings that should be reporting big hooks were resulting in open-to-path club faces. One thing I was wondering, is if the moment in time where the address position is captured is incorrect. The reason I wonder this is, if you look at the following swings you will see some weird things.

Swing 1 - With my driver, my initial loft is reporting at 2.1 degrees (with a 9.5 deg club), with a forward shaft lean. I definitely do not have a forward shaft lean with my driver at address. Also, if you look at the swing, my impact point is about "1 foot" ahead of my address position (with some weird movement), and the impact loft is 0.8 degrees. I doubt 0.8 degrees of loft would get very high off the ground. I generally launch my driver pretty high compares to most people.

Swing 2 - A few similar issues with this one. The address issues are the same (forward shaft lean, very low loft) but this time the impact position is about "1 foot" behind my address position.

Swing 3 - With this swing the address position and impact position seemed to be in sync, but it's still reporting very low address loft and forward shaft lean.

Since address position seems to be so important for making accurate calculations, just wondering if the 'algorithm' that determines what the moment in time to capture address position has some flaws.

So far I haven't had any luck getting meaningful information out of this data.

i'm not seeing the impact being past the address - are you referring to where the animation stops?

as far as the loft angles you're seeing, it could be a couple of things. shoot a note to support and they'll talk you through it.

Greenbird
08-12-2012, 02:30 PM
The calendar on [my swingbite] is not showing the correct date/time for swing entries. The date/time on my phone and tablet are OK, but show up as being 4 hours later on the website. I hit a few after 8PM one day, so these results are actually appearing on the next day.

bellken
08-12-2012, 05:20 PM
1.4.3 is good to go - folks can upgrade safely.

a quick run-down:

this version of the android app makes the app more android-friendly. it should be more stable and more phone-friendly, like the iOS app. the icons along the side for phones are shortcuts for common functions, such as going to the data screen, view and club selection. you can also now see a data point on the 3d screen for phones, and can select which data point is displayed by picking it in the detail screen.

the thumbs up/down is to let you classify which swings you liked and which you didn't. this information will feed into the web analytics shortly.

thanks for the information,

kolosy
08-13-2012, 12:40 AM
The calendar on [my swingbite] is not showing the correct date/time for swing entries. The date/time on my phone and tablet are OK, but show up as being 4 hours later on the website. I hit a few after 8PM one day, so these results are actually appearing on the next day.

Thanks. it's an issue on the site - times are being displayed GMT instead of your local timezone.

mschad
08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Down loaded 1.4.3 for Android. The crash when switching views is fixed, but when you are in over head view, the club path and lazer lines do not show up. I have to switch views to 'straight on' or 'down the line' and then back to 'over head' before they show up, and then initially they show all messed up. I have to play the swing before they show up correctly. Hope you can get this corrected soon.
Motorola Razr Maxx, version 4.0.4 (ICS).

Mathwiz
08-13-2012, 10:33 AM
After reading the thread, it seems to me with the unit mounted as close as possible in the 3 o'clock position,after entering the club number and loft, and holding in the address position the unit is going to require a calibration button that locks in until recalibrated with a different club.

Does this make sense?

I'm tapping, but it still ain't talking!

kolosy
08-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Down loaded 1.4.3 for Android. The crash when switching views is fixed, but when you are in over head view, the club path and lazer lines do not show up. I have to switch views to 'straight on' or 'down the line' and then back to 'over head' before they show up, and then initially they show all messed up. I have to play the swing before they show up correctly. Hope you can get this corrected soon.
Motorola Razr Maxx, version 4.0.4 (ICS).

yes - this should be fixed in the next couple of days. thanks for the feedback.

mschad
08-13-2012, 12:44 PM
yes - this should be fixed in the next couple of days. thanks for the feedback.

Thanks.... You guys are so responsive and great to work with!

shortyred
08-20-2012, 03:25 PM
So any updates?? Is it working and tracking right??? Hows the new holder coming?

sceptor
08-26-2012, 05:51 AM
After reading the thread, it seems to me with the unit mounted as close as possible in the 3 o'clock position,after entering the club number and loft, and holding in the address position the unit is going to require a calibration button that locks in until recalibrated with a different club.

Does this make sense?

I'm tapping, but it still ain't talking!

It makes a lot of sense and has for some time. Unfortunately it falls on deaf ears.

kolosy
08-26-2012, 01:20 PM
It makes a lot of sense and has for some time. Unfortunately it falls on deaf ears.

unfortunately it's not quite that simple. in order for a "calibration button" to work, you would need to put the club on a level surface, and make sure that the surface is as close to 0 degrees as you want the club calibration to be. that would mean using a physical level to check the surface you're using, then adjusting if there isn't a surface like that.

from our side, something like that is pretty straightforward to do, but it would be an onerous calibration procedure that few would go through, and is likely to introduce more issues than the other way around.

as I've mentioned before, we're still investigating other options, and hope to have an approach soon.

mschad
08-30-2012, 03:29 PM

There is now a calibration button on the account info screen of the app. Was in the last Android app update (08/29/2012).

~~~ Patience is a virtue ~~~

sangoram
08-30-2012, 11:37 PM
I was disappointed with the correlation of the Swingbyte and Trackman data and I had promised to post that data here some time ago. Still planning to do so but work, family, life got in the middle of good intentions. Soon...
Anyone check out this device though?

http://www.golfsense.me/

seems like a similar deal but the sensor goes on your glove so you can use it with any club...
The club attachment feature for Swingbyte was definitely another turnoff... (it worked but not very portable to other clubs especially with the revised insert attachment). Any plans for Swingbyte 2.0 to go to the wrist (and have better calibration)??

shortyred
08-31-2012, 12:39 AM
There is now a calibration button on the account info screen of the app. Was in the last Android app update (08/29/2012).

~~~ Patience is a virtue ~~~

I didn't see any calibration button.

mschad
08-31-2012, 12:46 AM
I didn't see any calibration button.

If you have the latest update, it will be on the account screen but only when you are recording swings.

@CPA
08-31-2012, 04:22 AM
Will ensure I have the update tonight and see what the calibration is.

Anyone tried it?

Kolosy ..........info update please.....

@CPA
08-31-2012, 04:26 AM
and as for golfsense- may measure swingplane and hand angle movement but the measurements of clubface, club path and othe club angles would be a wild guess.

kolosy
08-31-2012, 04:54 AM
Will ensure I have the update tonight and see what the calibration is.

Anyone tried it?

Kolosy ..........info update please.....

The calibration button is to force the calibration that comes up on its own. Its an internal sensor recalibration, and not anything related to face angles.

shortyred
08-31-2012, 10:27 AM
I still see no calibration button. My swingbyte never has calibrated and I can only get the first swing data. It does nothing else, it connects but doesn't show anything. Its just jewelry.

bellken
08-31-2012, 10:28 AM
yesterday, was the 1st time I tried changing clubs during a session, and, I was not able to record any data after attempting to the make the change. Did this get broken with the last update?

Un-installing, and, re-installing the app, solved the problem. I can record data with multiple golf clubs.

sceptor
09-03-2012, 05:05 PM
from our side, something like that is pretty straightforward to do, but it would be an onerous calibration procedure that few would go through, and is likely to introduce more issues than the other way around.

I have posted more than once that the current calibration scheme has cal'd the unit while it was actually in motion. Each time there has been a pop up screen telling me it had been done while I was moving the club. Always right after a swing and as I was walking to the bench to lean the club against it so I could check that swings results. One time I actually got a notice telling me to lean the club against something so it could be calibrated, and before I had the chance to actually set the club down, it had been cal'd.

As far as I can tell the current scheme is so far away from being accurate, that any alternative would be better. With that, I will make it a point to see if the new cal button on the accounts page helps in any manner. Hopefully you guys will make my $150 purchase worth more than it has been to date. Hint, paper weights dont normally cost this much.

@CPA
09-20-2012, 07:57 PM
mmmmmm keep saying it. Any word on calibration. SB is a very light doorstop without it.

mschad
09-20-2012, 08:30 PM
mmmmmm keep saying it. Any word on calibration. SB is a very light doorstop without it.

That came out in an update about a month ago. When you are adding swings go to your account screen. Providing you have the latest update.

shortyred
09-21-2012, 08:56 AM
So I can see this thread is really slowing down.......are you guys satisfied with the swingbyte or just given up on it? How is the new holder coming? Some new info would be nice.

mschad
09-21-2012, 11:36 AM
So I can see this thread is really slowing down.......are you guys satisfied with the swingbyte or just given up on it? How is the new holder coming? Some new info would be nice.

I've been following at SwingBytes boards:
https://swingbyte.zendesk.com/forums#recent
https://getsatisfaction.com/swingbyte

Not 100% satisified, but it is coming along with improvements in each update. Haven't heard anything about the new holder/alignment aid.

kolosy
09-21-2012, 01:02 PM
I've been following at SwingBytes boards:
https://swingbyte.zendesk.com/forums#recent
https://getsatisfaction.com/swingbyte

Not 100% satisified, but it is coming along with improvements in each update. Haven't heard anything about the new holder/alignment aid.

new holder is out... announcement coming today/over the weekend. stay tuned!

kolosy
09-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Guys - the new mounting tabs are available. More info here:

http://blog.swingbyte.com/post/32004986622/swingbyte-adhesive-mounting-tabs-now-available

@CPA
09-22-2012, 09:02 AM
That came out in an update about a month ago. When you are adding swings go to your account screen. Providing you have the latest update.

No the calibration to targetline, as far as I understand is still not out.

Jack28
09-25-2012, 04:16 AM
Its interesting!!
Nice product with cheap price.
Looking forward to see that product...I had Black bury is it work with that????
smsf super (http://premiersmsf.com.au/smsf-services/basic-service/)

navik
09-28-2012, 01:39 PM
just got my swingbyte today had a chance to test it together with the optishot, data was consistent with the shot made. will test it soon with the hdgolf simulator.

in the meantime I hope the developers would consider adding in the option to display estimated distance and ball flight based on the club spec, e.g. loft, club length, swing speed etc, I'm sure if the optishot could estimate a distance and ball flight based on club data, the swingbyte shld be able to do the same.

of course it would not be 100% accurate especially since wind speed /direction can't be factored in but it would be useful for those practicing at home and provide additional data for analysis

mschad
09-28-2012, 05:16 PM
just got my swingbyte today had a chance to test it together with the optishot, data was consistent with the shot made. will test it soon with the hdgolf simulator. ..................

Glad to see someone do a comparison against something else and post positive feedback. I use mine mostly in my garage to work on swing path/swing plane. But the couple times I have taken it to the range, my ball flight has also been relatively consistant with the data.

Will wait to hear how your comparison w/ the hdgolf simulator goes.

navik
10-01-2012, 02:31 AM
Managed to try the swingbyte with the HDgolf simulator over the weekend. Swing speed is quite close with the readings for the HDgolf simulator, give or take a couple of mph.

Swing path reading is also rather consistent provided:

1) the swingbyte did not shift during the previous swing;
2) the club face is lined up perpendicular to the target (in this case the screen).

The degrees reading might differ, but an out-to-in swing would read as out-to-in on the swingbyte if the two above conditions were met. I used a tape to mark out on the mat where to place the club head (so that it would always be perpendicular to the screen), and did my swings from there.

It's actually the same issue the optishot suffered from. Initially, people were complaining that the optishot was inaccurate but they did not realise that the sensor mat sometimes shifted a few degrees off tangent after a swing and that's what caused what looked like a straight shot into a serious hook/slice (or vice-verse).

I think this could be a useful tool, but certain "prep-work" need to be taken before using it. The Android app is still a bit unstable, it forced-close on my Samsung Galaxy S2 a few times. Nothing serious, a quick exit and return to the app and all is fine again.

Requests

- I would really like an option to show projected ball flight/path and distance in the app.
- Option to convert display between mph to km/h

Smallville
10-01-2012, 12:08 PM
This is a press release.

Swingbyte Named Official Swing Analyzer Of Proponent Group
Network of game's leading instructors endorses wireless 3D device that analyzes golf swings and promotes game improvement

CHICAGO, Ill. (Oct. 1, 2012) - Swingbyte has been named the official swing analyzer of Proponent Group, a network of many of golf's leading instructors in the U.S. and around the world. Swingbyte is a wireless device that uses a lightweight sensor to transmit digital images and swing metrics to smartphones and tablets. Swingbyte was introduced at the 2012 PGA Merchandise Show, where Golf Digest called it one of the "12 coolest" products at this year's show.

"Swingbyte has been earning a lot of buzz since debuting earlier this year," said Lorin Anderson, president of Proponent Group. "Our members pride themselves on being on the cutting edge of teaching technology, and we are very excited to be working closely with Swingbyte to keep our members at the forefront with a tool that can help them teach more effectively and will allow their students to practice more efficiently."

The Proponent Group helps instructors maximize professional opportunities through education and networking opportunities, instruction surveys, contract reviews and outplacement services. The group includes more than half of the GOLF Magazine Top 100 Teachers, more than 150 PGA of America section Teachers of the Year, more than a dozen PGA National Teachers of the Year and the owners and operators of more than 50 golf academies.

"We're honored to be associated with the Proponent Group and its highly respected network of instructors," said Swingbyte co-founder Brian Payne. "We look forward to introducing Swingbyte to Proponent Group members and their students, as well as receiving their valuable feedback."

Swingbyte weighs less than an ounce and attaches to any club just below the grip. As the club makes contact with the ball, a sensor transmits a digitized 3D version of the swing to Apple and Android smartphones and tablets. The swing image - along with measurements of club head speed, swing plane, face angle, loft and lie angles and tempo - can be viewed during practice sessions and archived in the cloud for future reference. With the information Swingbyte makes available, golfers can pinpoint swing problems and work on their own or with an instructor to improve faster.

Swingbyte can be ordered through the company's website, Swingbyte.com, and purchased at more than 1,800 AT&T retail stores. Swingbyte's introductory price of $149 includes the Swingbyte unit, the free Swingbyte app and an online account that includes additional analytics, personal trends, community rankings and access to premium content.

ParHunter
10-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Requests

- I would really like an option to show projected ball flight/path and distance in the app.

How would that be possible? The distance is very much affected by smash factor, spin, launch angle. Nothing of that can be measured with the swingbyte. You could just as well just show random numbers.

navik
10-02-2012, 10:06 AM
How would that be possible? The distance is very much affected by smash factor, spin, launch angle. Nothing of that can be measured with the swingbyte. You could just as well just show random numbers.

I understand that distance is affected by the various variables as mentioned, but I'm just thinking that if an optishot and p3pro could calculate the distance based on what I assumed should be similar data which the swingbyte could measure, i.e. club loft, club path, swing speed etc, then it should technically be possible to give a rough measurement. I don't expect it to be absolutely accurate (wind alone which can't be measured makes a huge difference), but from how far I usually hit, I would have a rough idea how much it is off by, e.g. swingbyte distance + 10% = real distance. Like what the developers said, it is internally accurate, so next time when my swing speed increases (assuming a good club path), I would know how much further I should be hitting.

Anyway, its just something which I hope could be done - it makes practicing at home hitting into a net more interesting.

kolosy
10-02-2012, 10:45 AM
I understand that distance is affected by the various variables as mentioned, but I'm just thinking that if an optishot and p3pro could calculate the distance based on what I assumed should be similar data which the swingbyte could measure, i.e. club loft, club path, swing speed etc, then it should technically be possible to give a rough measurement. I don't expect it to be absolutely accurate (wind alone which can't be measured makes a huge difference), but from how far I usually hit, I would have a rough idea how much it is off by, e.g. swingbyte distance + 10% = real distance. Like what the developers said, it is internally accurate, so next time when my swing speed increases (assuming a good club path), I would know how much further I should be hitting.

Anyway, its just something which I hope could be done - it makes practicing at home hitting into a net more interesting.

One thing missing from what Swingbyte gathers is specific impact position on the face (and i'm not just talking about was it in the "sweet spot" or not). depending on if you hit it fat, or topped it, or hit it with the hosel or whatever else, has a dramatic impact on ballflight.

we may put in something that shows theoretical ballflight on a windless day, with a center hit given the other data, but there would need to be a large disclaimer about assumptions :)

kolosy
10-02-2012, 06:31 PM
New app update!

Android should be in the play store now, iOS likely next week (submitted to Apple, waiting for approval):

http://blog.swingbyte.com/post/32757476236/its-that-time-again-app-updates

ERdiesel
10-02-2012, 06:47 PM
One thing missing from what Swingbyte gathers is specific impact position on the face (and i'm not just talking about was it in the "sweet spot" or not). depending on if you hit it fat, or topped it, or hit it with the hosel or whatever else, has a dramatic impact on ballflight.

we may put in something that shows theoretical ballflight on a windless day, with a center hit given the other data, but there would need to be a large disclaimer about assumptions :)

Yeah, I think showing "theoretical" anything is somewhat silly and will probably cause more headache than its worth from the idiots out there who will be posting on here about how "inaccurate" SB is. There are some things you can make assumptions about (for example, having SB assume that you're square to the target at setup and base graphics and calculations on that assumption). There are others that you simply cannot make assumptions on, and that is hitting the sweetspot and i guess assume a 1.5 smash factor or whatever the max might be for a specific iron. Bottom line is, i think a theoretical distance is unnecessary and will be very misleading at best. The great thing about SB is that even if the data points are not perfectly accurate in of itself, the numbers for one swing versus another, relative to each other will show if you swung "better" or "worse". The bad thing about even attempting to calculate distance based on a flawed assumption, is that you won't even get any value in knowing if one swing was better than the other, if the main variable in the distance calculation is simply swing speed (just because one swing was 110 mph, DOES NOT make for a better swing that was done at 100 mph)............it might actually hurt your practice if your singular goal to "increase" distance is to just swing harder/faster.

ParHunter
10-03-2012, 07:54 AM
There is a new kid on the block it seems : www dot swingtip dot com (it seems I am not allowed to post links ;-(
A nice feature is the alignment aid of the sensor with the clubface. They have a sight lever which you use to align the sensor with the grooves on the club.
I am not sure whether it will have the same problems of slippage as the swingbyte (which seems to be fixed now).

It reports the same parameters as the swingbyte but they also report the impact spot (as in centre hit or off centre). I wonder how they do it. Probably by measuring vibration along the shaft after impact?

Has anyone used this device yet?

shortyred
10-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Downloaded the update and the info is still to big for my 7" pad!! Should be a way to set the font size or resize to your device.

@CPA
10-05-2012, 07:57 PM
There is a new kid on the block it seems : www dot swingtip dot com (it seems I am not allowed to post links ;-(
A nice feature is the alignment aid of the sensor with the clubface. They have a sight lever which you use to align the sensor with the grooves on the club.
I am not sure whether it will have the same problems of slippage as the swingbyte (which seems to be fixed now).

It reports the same parameters as the swingbyte but they also report the impact spot (as in centre hit or off centre). I wonder how they do it. Probably by measuring vibration along the shaft after impact?

Has anyone used this device yet?

The sight lever looks good and should solve the alignment problems using a manual method. Kolosy...get onto a copy.......

The attachment to club looks good too.

But how in the begeezes do you get accurate data without entering club length loft and lie. Compared to swingbyte method accuracy would be a joke.

Tweety82
10-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Hm was just about to buy the Swingbyte than that swingtip shows up. This is getting confusing, so many of these gadgets are showing up on the market.

Can anybody tell me if you use the swingbyte and you only have an iphone (no tablet) will you be able to see all the data that you dont see on the iphone, on the website later on??
And why is there a yearly subsciption, I really dont get that. What are you getting for that $50 a year??

Still from everything i have seen the Swingbyte still seems to be the best, and I must say their support online is pretty impressive.

Tweety

kolosy
10-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Hm was just about to buy the Swingbyte than that swingtip shows up. This is getting confusing, so many of these gadgets are showing up on the market.

Can anybody tell me if you use the swingbyte and you only have an iphone (no tablet) will you be able to see all the data that you dont see on the iphone, on the website later on??
And why is there a yearly subsciption, I really dont get that. What are you getting for that $50 a year??

Still from everything i have seen the Swingbyte still seems to be the best, and I must say their support online is pretty impressive.

Tweety

hey - there's only one data point that doesn't show on the iPhone and does on the iPad - that's the plane angle. It will be added to the website shortly. Also - the subscription purely optional, and you won't lose any functionality. We're still working out what will be part of that, but any features and functionality you have today will be available without the subscription.

Tweety82
10-09-2012, 03:35 AM
Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I purchased a swingbyte (will arrive next week from golfsmith). The reason why I went with swingbyte is because of their quick and excellent responses to the question thatI have posted and from others.
I think I have resonable expectations of what the product will provide and I really hope ill be happy with my purchase.

Only thing I am unsure about is the $50 year subscription, I hope that they will soon decide what it will provide.

Cheers

Tweety

@CPA
10-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Kolosy

sorry to harp on...

targetline fix?

Tweety82
10-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Kolosy,

just got a message from golfsmith that my order of the swingbyte is on backorder, they said they are getting a shipment in from you guys on the 22nd. If that is true will that be the latest batch of swingbyte's ? would they include those new plates to help keep the swingbyte steady?

Thx

Tweety

kolosy
10-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Kolosy

sorry to harp on...

targetline fix?

We haven't forgotten, I promise :). We're taking a different direction with it that will give much more accurate results.

kolosy
10-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Kolosy,

just got a message from golfsmith that my order of the swingbyte is on backorder, they said they are getting a shipment in from you guys on the 22nd. If that is true will that be the latest batch of swingbyte's ? would they include those new plates to help keep the swingbyte steady?

Thx

Tweety

It's difficult to tell because the cutover happened recently, but I believe it should be. When you get them, if they're not there, just shoot support a note and we'll send you a set.

Tweety82
10-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Darnit,

Just got an email from Golfsmith saying another delay for the SwingByte, really wished you guys would ship internationally from your website.

"At the moment, we do not have a confirmed date for SWINGBYTE analyzer. I apologize, but we have not received any information from SWINGBYTE regarding the analyzer."

P.S. though its good sign for you guys that its sold out :)

-Tweety

kolosy
10-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Darnit,

Just got an email from Golfsmith saying another delay for the SwingByte, really wished you guys would ship internationally from your website.

"At the moment, we do not have a confirmed date for SWINGBYTE analyzer. I apologize, but we have not received any information from SWINGBYTE regarding the analyzer."

P.S. though its good sign for you guys that its sold out :)

-Tweety

hey - shoot support a note, we'll take care of it.

ParHunter
10-22-2012, 08:40 AM
I finally managed to get hold of a SwingByte here in the UK and already received the anti-slip tabs as well.
However I find it very difficult to align the SwingByte correctly. With an iron it is sort of okay, I hold a straight piece of metal (use what ever you want) along the seam between the white and the grey and I try to align the grooves along this piece of metal. However when doing this to attach the adhesive tab it still looked wrong when I attached the SwingByte again. As you can't move the tabs around it is quite difficult to get right (and yes I did see the FAQ on it).

Even worse is the alignment with a driver. How the heck are you supposed to do that if the driver face isn't straight but bulges?
Another problem is that I have my R9 supertri set up with an open clubface. I've learned from an email exchange with the support form SwingByte that if you device is aligned perfectly but you e.g. address the ball with a slight closed clubfaces a lot of the numbers are not correct anymore. E.g. you swing path will be more inside-out then it really is, shaft lean is reported as more as well. So getting the alignment right seems to be key. But when you don't align you face perfectly your numbers are screwed - IMHO not perfect.

But I think there should be a way to decouple this or adjust for it in the software (e.g. you could compare your path with TM/Flighscope numbers and 'calibrate' your path that way by e.g. 'rotating' the clubpath to whatever the launch monitor said it is).

@CPA
10-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Welcome to the swingbyte world out non alignment parhunter........ they have been working on a fix for 6 months.

Nate
10-23-2012, 06:20 PM
I haven't used my swingbyte in quite some time....mainly because of the issues or fixes I hear are being worked on but could also be because we moved. I'm going to get this out again this weekend and see how everything is running now.

ParHunter
10-24-2012, 04:52 AM
Is it really just the alignment? I've tried to move around the SwingByte a bit to see which position would lead to some sensible numbers for clubface, path, angle of attack and shaft lean but I couldn't find one.
One swing with the driver which was IMHO correctly aligned was reported with a
22 degree open face relative to address
11.8 degrees open to path
10.8 path in to out
6.8 degree attach angle
11.5 degree forward lean at impact, 2.8 degree back at address

That would have been a massive push slice while the actual shot was straight!
I have the feeling there is more going wrong then just alignment. When I do a slow motion shot (e.g. with a putter) the figures look okay. I have the feeling there is some drift in there.

Another thing I've noticed is that the figure shown for the face to path in the 3D view on the web is completely different from the one shown in the summary. When I play back the swing the face to path varies between 2.9 degrees closed at the top of the backswing (??? face to path ??? That should be around 90 degree open or do I misunderstand here something?) and it then goes to around 0.3 degrees open at impact. I don't know why these numbers differ that much (I know they changed something recently, maybe they didn't update the 3D model yet). But face to path should go (ideally) from 0 degree at address to 90 degrees open on the top of the swing to 0 at impact to 90 degrees closed in the follow through.

Very confused!

kolosy
10-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Hey ParHunter,

A couple of comments -

- Aligning on a driver is a bit trickier because of the shape of the face, as you point out. There are two ways to do it - one is to use the markers on your grip (a lot of grips have markers at the 12/3/6/9 o'clock positions), the other is to align it to the line you'd get by connecting the top and bottom of the club head. i usually use the grip markers when i use Swingbyte on a driver.
- The numbers. Alignment does affect the numbers, but there's an added component - how you're addressing your target. Here's an example:

https://my.swingbyte.com/e/3556f2c1i

This is a pro golfer that we've worked with. He addresses slightly left (about 8-10 degrees), but hits it dead straight. Swingbyte sets its target based on where the club was addressed, that means that the face to path, and path numbers are going to be biased as a result, for this specific swing type. The rest of the numbers, including face to path, are not affected by this. This is the alignment issue that CPA is talking about. We're working on an app update that will let you take care of this.

Finally - face to path on the website. We're re-working the website, and that number is equivalent to the "face to plane" number on the app, not the face to path on the app. What we typically see for that number is 0 at address, 45 degrees at the 1/4 and 3/4, and 0 at the top. It measures the rotation of the club face within the club's plane at that particular point, and is different than face to path because it's measured in 3 dimensions.

Hopefully this clears some things up for you!

Thanks,
Alex.

@CPA
10-24-2012, 05:28 PM
"We're working on an app update that will let you take care of this."

under promise and over deliver. . . .

with that in mind an estimate of when we can expect to set targetline?

ParHunter
10-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Hey ParHunter,

A couple of comments -

- Aligning on a driver is a bit trickier because of the shape of the face, as you point out. There are two ways to do it - one is to use the markers on your grip (a lot of grips have markers at the 12/3/6/9 o'clock positions), the other is to align it to the line you'd get by connecting the top and bottom of the club head. i usually use the grip markers when i use Swingbyte on a driver.
- The numbers. Alignment does affect the numbers, but there's an added component - how you're addressing your target. Here's an example:

https://my.swingbyte.com/e/3556f2c1i

This is a pro golfer that we've worked with. He addresses slightly left (about 8-10 degrees), but hits it dead straight. Swingbyte sets its target based on where the club was addressed, that means that the face to path, and path numbers are going to be biased as a result, for this specific swing type. The rest of the numbers, including face to path, are not affected by this. This is the alignment issue that CPA is talking about. We're working on an app update that will let you take care of this.

Finally - face to path on the website. We're re-working the website, and that number is equivalent to the "face to plane" number on the app, not the face to path on the app. What we typically see for that number is 0 at address, 45 degrees at the 1/4 and 3/4, and 0 at the top. It measures the rotation of the club face within the club's plane at that particular point, and is different than face to path because it's measured in 3 dimensions.

Hopefully this clears some things up for you!

Thanks,
Alex.
Hi Alex,

thanks for your explanation.

Unfortunately I can't use the grip on my driver as you can adjust the face of the driver by taking out the shaft, rotating it a bit and attaching it again (TM r9 SuperTri) so the markings on the grip might be off depending on what setting you use.

Do you have any graphics showing the concept of the face to plane? I would have thought the angle would be 90 degrees at address then about 0 degree on the backswing (the face lays on the plane) going back to 90 degree at impact and then 180 degrees in the follow through.

Btw your customer service is the best I've seen!

kolosy
10-27-2012, 07:37 PM
"We're working on an app update that will let you take care of this."

under promise and over deliver. . . .

with that in mind an estimate of when we can expect to set targetline?

CPA - that's not something I can speak to right now. I will say this though - it's not far off, and it won't require new hardware. Just an app update.

kolosy
10-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi Alex,

thanks for your explanation.

Unfortunately I can't use the grip on my driver as you can adjust the face of the driver by taking out the shaft, rotating it a bit and attaching it again (TM r9 SuperTri) so the markings on the grip might be off depending on what setting you use.

Do you have any graphics showing the concept of the face to plane? I would have thought the angle would be 90 degrees at address then about 0 degree on the backswing (the face lays on the plane) going back to 90 degree at impact and then 180 degrees in the follow through.

Btw your customer service is the best I've seen!

We're saying the same thing, it's just our reference points are different. What you call 90 degrees, we call 0, as that's what people are used (square, vs a few degres open/closed). So, when the face lays in the plane, we say that's 90 degrees open (at the top of the backswing), and so on.

thanks,
alex.

Rooney
11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
So Swingbyte gave me the email address of a supplier here in the uk, 129.00 plus 5 delivery. Think I'll be getting one soon. How is the new attachment working with everybody? And is the alignment issue being dealt with yet?

@CPA
11-09-2012, 04:42 PM
So Swingbyte gave me the email address of a supplier here in the uk, 129.00 plus 5 delivery. Think I'll be getting one soon. How is the new attachment working with everybody? And is the alignment issue being dealt with yet?

Still waiting for alignment to be resolved. Kolosy I see you are logged on, any word?

@CPA
11-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Kolosy....any word?

kolosy
11-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Kolosy....any word?

Unfortunately I can't disclose more right now than what I've already shared with the forum. A change is coming that will help address this, it will be an app change. I can't comment on timeframes right now.

Thanks,
Alex.

@CPA
11-15-2012, 01:16 AM
aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

kolosy
11-15-2012, 09:58 AM
aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

:)

i promise you guys will be the first to know. srsly.

Rooney
11-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Kolosy, strange things are happening....when I go back into the android app after looking at my swings on the web, there seems to be extra swings appearing in my swing history. I have double the amount of PW swings today. All the same numbers but one said fade and the other said draw....any ideas?

Apart from that, first time I've used it with a club other than a putter. Very good graphic of why I slice and push shots left....a bad out to in swing with casting at the top...who knew??

very impressed :)

geeman5
11-18-2012, 06:55 PM
I think they just take the address position and assume you had it in the center of the face. As long as you don't address the ball on the toe or heal should be ok. I would think. I'm trying to decide on a swingbyte or swingtip.Both seem to have there good points. Don't like the mounting of the swingbyte or the update. Having mounts that stick on doesn't seem to be very good for moving from club to club. No device is going to be acurate if its moving around or can't align it consistantly. Will wait a liitle while to see if they come out with the app update to align the device. If doesn't come out soon will have to go with s

kolosy
11-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Kolosy, strange things are happening....when I go back into the android app after looking at my swings on the web, there seems to be extra swings appearing in my swing history. I have double the amount of PW swings today. All the same numbers but one said fade and the other said draw....any ideas?

Apart from that, first time I've used it with a club other than a putter. Very good graphic of why I slice and push shots left....a bad out to in swing with casting at the top...who knew??

very impressed :)

Glad to hear you're liking it!

The issue you're having sounds odd. Do you mind emailing support@swingbyte.com about it so they can walk through it with you?

Thanks,
Alex.

kolosy
11-19-2012, 11:48 AM
I think they just take the address position and assume you had it in the center of the face. As long as you don't address the ball on the toe or heal should be ok. I would think. I'm trying to decide on a swingbyte or swingtip.Both seem to have there good points. Don't like the mounting of the swingbyte or the update. Having mounts that stick on doesn't seem to be very good for moving from club to club. No device is going to be acurate if its moving around or can't align it consistantly. Will wait a liitle while to see if they come out with the app update to align the device. If doesn't come out soon will have to go with s

I hope you stick around long enough to give us a shot :)

One thing - we're happy to give you more of the mounting tabs so you can put them on all your clubs. They're tiny (weigh <1g) and barely protrude past the edge of the grip, so you can't see that they're on. that way - you have no issue with moving club to club.

@CPA
11-19-2012, 06:33 PM
I hope you stick around long enough to give us a shot :)

One thing - we're happy to give you more of the mounting tabs so you can put them on all your clubs. They're tiny (weigh <1g) and barely protrude past the edge of the grip, so you can't see that they're on. that way - you have no issue with moving club to club.

but once they are on cannot be moved so currently alignment is hit or miss. Bring on the software upgrade to reset the offset to 0 degrees.

@CPA
11-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Kolosy
My swingbyte on button is playing up. It either won't work or turns off.

Where do I send it?

kolosy
11-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Kolosy
My swingbyte on button is playing up. It either won't work or turns off.

Where do I send it?

shoot a note to support@swingbyte.com - they'll replace it asap.

@CPA
11-27-2012, 06:55 PM
shoot a note to support@swingbyte.com - they'll replace it asap.
Cheers
The replacement is on the way.

hamsterlegs
11-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Hi - new Swingbyte arrived today; cannot get it to recognize a full swing. I am hitting indoors with a Leadbetter Swingsetter and have tried hitting various items such as a pillow / card etc and it just will NOT pick up a swing.

Oddly enough it will pick up a little lazy 1/4 swing no problem.

kolosy
11-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Hi - new Swingbyte arrived today; cannot get it to recognize a full swing. I am hitting indoors with a Leadbetter Swingsetter and have tried hitting various items such as a pillow / card etc and it just will NOT pick up a swing.

Oddly enough it will pick up a little lazy 1/4 swing no problem.

hey - shoot support a note, they'll get this straightened out for you. hopefully it's just something simple, if not - they'll replace it.

hamsterlegs
11-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Still can't get it to register a swing - tried the support suggestions but those failed too. Has anyone else managed to use it without a ball?

Putting works, but the animation is totally wrong - here is a good example: (https:)//my.swingbyte.com/e/357adbd8i

For reviewing the swings online, is there a way to zoom in and out? For example, putting is far too small to see, and driving (DTL view) is too big to see: (https:)//my.swingbyte.com/e/3556f2c1i

runpuddrun
11-29-2012, 11:16 AM
When I first started using the SB, I really liked it if only for the fact that I could actually see my swing. After using it quite a bit, I am beginning to believe that it (the data) isnt very useful or reliable. I just wish that they could get some of the data points worked out.

hamsterlegs
11-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Yeah it's a shame, doesn't seem to work for me

mschad
11-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Has anyone else managed to use it without a ball?

I use mine without an actual ball. I have an artificial turf hitting matt and use a wadded/taped up sock instead of an actual ball... works great. I can also just brush the matt without the sock or anything and the swing will still register. As far as the data goes, I just use them as a reference; ie: If my straight shots say 2 open, path says 3 in to out, then I hit a push/slice... was the face more open/closed, path more inside/out than the straight swings? Not wether they are open/closed from 0. The reason, multiple slightly different combinations can produce a straight flight. That's obvious by just looking at all the different swings on the pro tour.

kolosy
11-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah it's a shame, doesn't seem to work for me

Hey - sorry for the issues. Shoot support a note. It's either a calibration issue, which you can force through the settings menu, or just needs replacing. If that's the case, we'll just send you a new one for free.

You do need to make contact with something, which could also be the issue. That said, it doesn't need to be a ball, it can be the floor, or a tee.

@CPA
11-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Got the replacement SB. Good Service. Now just need th long awaited Targetline software fix.

love how the android symbol on the box now holds a golf club!

sangoram
12-03-2012, 01:09 AM
Hey - sorry for the issues. Shoot support a note. It's either a calibration issue, which you can force through the settings menu, or just needs replacing. If that's the case, we'll just send you a new one for free.

You do need to make contact with something, which could also be the issue. That said, it doesn't need to be a ball, it can be the floor, or a tee.

I've promised data comparing swingbyte and trackman for months now and I keep trying to get around to it...
My latest issue is that Swingbyte app crashes on both the iPad2 and my iPhone4. Any thoughts as to why this is? I've updated the app and the ios is the latest version on both...
Thanks!
Ash

@CPA
12-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Updated app in android today. Was hoping for the targetline fix but alas no.

Hope it updated in apple as well and fixed your issues Sangoram.

Remember some of the trackman data is calculated rather than measured.

ParHunter
12-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Remember some of the trackman data is calculated rather than measured.

There is no problem in something being calculated if the algorithm/model is okay. EVERYTHING you see from SwingByte is calculated. The SwingByte is only measuring acceleration in X,Y,Z at a point (under the grip, away from the shaft) that isn't even shown in the graphs. Everything else is calculated from there.
Here however the problem is with the model/assumptions they are using. Getting this right it very difficult. I think one cause of problems could be that the shaft actually kicks forward shortly before impact (the COG of the clubhead tries to align with the shaft). That is something which the SwingByte probably can't measure. This could already be the cause for unreliable data at impact. Another problem is that the SwingByte cannot measure (I guess) when the moment of highest compression is (the moment that really matters and which Trackman/Flightscope use). If SwingByte defines the 'impact' at a different time face angle etc will be off (and not relevant).

kolosy
12-06-2012, 03:36 PM
I've promised data comparing swingbyte and trackman for months now and I keep trying to get around to it...
My latest issue is that Swingbyte app crashes on both the iPad2 and my iPhone4. Any thoughts as to why this is? I've updated the app and the ios is the latest version on both...
Thanks!
Ash

Ash - shoot support a note, they'll be able to help you out.

kolosy
12-06-2012, 03:41 PM
There is no problem in something being calculated if the algorithm/model is okay. EVERYTHING you see from SwingByte is calculated. The SwingByte is only measuring acceleration in X,Y,Z at a point (under the grip, away from the shaft) that isn't even shown in the graphs. Everything else is calculated from there.
Here however the problem is with the model/assumptions they are using. Getting this right it very difficult. I think one cause of problems could be that the shaft actually kicks forward shortly before impact (the COG of the clubhead tries to align with the shaft). That is something which the SwingByte probably can't measure. This could already be the cause for unreliable data at impact. Another problem is that the SwingByte cannot measure (I guess) when the moment of highest compression is (the moment that really matters and which Trackman/Flightscope use). If SwingByte defines the 'impact' at a different time face angle etc will be off (and not relevant).

Hey ParHunter - Swingbyte actual does account for club flex. We've got a pretty sophisticated model that uses the shaft stiffness you supply in club selection to model how the club deforms through the entire swing. Interestingly enough, flex can account for as much as 4-5mph on a driver swing. As far as impact - you're right, we don't measure the point of highest compression. We look for the first point of contact, which can generate some differences between our numbers and others. I don't think that makes the numbers irrelevant - they are still consistent numbers, and typically within a degree or so of what happens that millisecond later.

thepete
12-09-2012, 02:27 PM
In contact with dealers to get this. Should I? I imagine I'll use it mostly on tournaments when Flightscope/multiple camera angles aren't available to me. But I'm not gonna spend 150 bucks on a problematic software/troublesome hardware. Thoughts?

@CPA
12-09-2012, 04:43 PM
In contact with dealers to get this. Should I? I imagine I'll use it mostly on tournaments when Flightscope/multiple camera angles aren't available to me. But I'm not gonna spend 150 bucks on a problematic software/troublesome hardware. Thoughts?

Jury is still out. They need to change software so yon can reset the device to think it is attached at 3 o'clock(ie fix targetline). Then all the data will be comparable and can be tested to see how accurate/consistent it is.

with your access to Flightscope (I presume X2) it would be good to get your opinion. l have Gc2 (no HMT) so have to do some calculating to test accuracy. I was hoping to save myself $6500 by using SB rather than Gc2 HMT.

sangoram
12-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Ash - shoot support a note, they'll be able to help you out.

Ok... done. Awaiting response as there is still no launching of the app possible for me right now.
Thanks.

DawgDaddy
12-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Found this and posted it on DOD

Swingbyte Trainer $116.96 with the Mfg's instant discount and the 10% discount at checkout, be sure to enter JINGLEBELLS. http://www.budgetgolf.com/Swingbyte-Trainer.html

http://images.budgetgolf.com/P/swingbyte.jpg

@CPA
12-18-2012, 09:16 PM
aaaarrrrgggghhhhh.......I'm gomma check the threads soon to see when the targetline fix was first promised. Christmas is coming.

@CPA
12-30-2012, 04:31 PM
so Christmas has come and gone with no targetline fix.

perhaps there guys will get it right..........

Smallville
12-30-2012, 04:51 PM
CPA: Obviously you aren't happy with this. Why don't you just send it back, get your money back and let it go? Almost every post you make is complaining, so why not give up on it?

@CPA
01-01-2013, 04:51 PM
CPA: Obviously you aren't happy with this. Why don't you just send it back, get your money back and let it go? Almost every post you make is complaining, so why not give up on it?

Sorry about posting a link- used to other forums where it is allowed.

I want this company and device to work. There has been nothing like it on the market and I think it will be great for all golfers. Kolosy was great for information but has disappeared lately given the delay in software fix. They are still telling dealers of is on the way.

kolosy
01-02-2013, 01:27 AM
CPA,

We appreciate support for Swingbyte, and I assure you my disappearance of late has had more to do with the fast-approaching PGA show than any deadlines. I can tell you we've got some really cool things coming online at the show, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks,
Alex.

@CPA
01-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Kolosy see you are online, how do we get the news first?

kolosy
01-14-2013, 02:32 PM

we'll be making announcements at the pga show, but we'll make sure you guys are among the first to know...

JB
01-14-2013, 02:34 PM

THP will always have news from Swingbyte and its featured throughout the forum. Just as the news was released this morning and was immediately put up.

IceyShanks
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
THP will always have news from Swingbyte and its featured throughout the forum. Just as the news was released this morning and was immediately put up.
I can't wait to see the progress and updates to the Swingbyte, it's atop my ponder list for sure!

HighCutLefty
01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
This is probably a dumb question and probably already asked but did I see some product that was basically an affordable "personal" use trackman for sale. If so, does anyone know what its called?

IceyShanks
01-14-2013, 05:47 PM
This is probably a dumb question and probably already asked but did I see some product that was basically an affordable "personal" use trackman for sale. If so, does anyone know what its called?
I would say the Swingbyte fits into that category.

@CPA
01-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Trackman is a launch monitor and measures ball flight. SB does not and will never claim to do this.

Interesting the partnership with Flightscope Alex.....can you tell us the theory behind it and what is being developed with them?

kolosy
01-16-2013, 03:08 AM
Trackman is a launch monitor and measures ball flight. SB does not and will never claim to do this.

Interesting the partnership with Flightscope Alex.....can you tell us the theory behind it and what is being developed with them?

Thanks! The idea is that FlightScope knows everything about the ballflight, and we know everything about the club. We're combining that information in a single app with them to give a whole view of what's happening. We'll have a (very) limited demo at the PGA show, with expansion to follow.

Cool thing is there aren't any new hardware requirements for SB users (or FS users, for that matter). Your current Swingbyte will just work with this once it's rolled out to FlightScope users.

IceyShanks
01-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Wow, looks like with the new partnerships there will be a ton of new features to see at the PGA show.

@CPA
01-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Alex, I hope the targetline fix for SB is not reliant upon the flightscope data!

not going to buy X2 have a Gc2!

kolosy
01-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Alex, I hope the targetline fix for SB is not reliant upon the flightscope data!

not going to buy X2 have a Gc2!

it isn't :)

@CPA
01-17-2013, 01:17 AM
Good news.

Can you hasstle Foresight to do the same deal.

My ultimate would be GC2 and swingbyte data in clubfitting tab and 2 cam motionview in tab as well.

ParHunter
01-17-2013, 04:57 AM
Thanks! The idea is that FlightScope knows everything about the ballflight, and we know everything about the club. We're combining that information in a single app with them to give a whole view of what's happening. We'll have a (very) limited demo at the PGA show, with expansion to follow.

Cool thing is there aren't any new hardware requirements for SB users (or FS users, for that matter). Your current Swingbyte will just work with this once it's rolled out to FlightScope users.
Good news for me as my coach has a FlightScope and I have the Flightscope app (not the lite one). I hope this will just be an update to the Flightscope app and not a separate new app.

ontogreen
01-19-2013, 12:01 AM
kolosy- I know you can't say a lot of info but, an update to fix/set the target-line will be unveiled at the PGA Show, if that happens will we be able to download or obtain that update the same day you announce it at the Show? Thanks!

shinzon11
01-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi Guys,

New to the THP.

I am a lefty and have conducted 287 swings with Swingbyte. Even with the mounting tab, the device still move on hard impact. One of the things I have observed is that the fastening rubber and corresponding securing tabs on the device is not balanced. There is a lot of play at unsecured end of the SB which leads to a lot of play and eventual dismount from the mounting tab. Its an annoyance, but in the scheme of things it does give you time to ascertain your swing and gather your bearings (not to mention remount your SB).

What is really annoying is the Android app constantly having to recalibrate and rediscover the SB. SB seems to have a very short Bluetooth range.

Its a very promising device and the new partnership looks very promising. I hope it really gets its engineering issues resolved and that the old owners are not left in the dust as a result (with a new and improved version).

kolosy
01-19-2013, 06:15 PM
kolosy- I know you can't say a lot of info but, an update to fix/set the target-line will be unveiled at the PGA Show, if that happens will we be able to download or obtain that update the same day you announce it at the Show? Thanks!

any new feature we announce will be available to all current SB users, at no cost. specific timing will depend on whether you're iOS or Android.... but I promise it'll be worth any wait you may or may not have to endure :)

rcncgolf
01-19-2013, 09:35 PM
any new feature we announce will be available to all current SB users, at no cost. specific timing will depend on whether you're iOS or Android.... but I promise it'll be worth any wait you may or may not have to endure :)
:). Great news

@CPA
01-20-2013, 11:35 PM
PGA Show starts Wednesday 9am............counting the minutes

@CPA
01-20-2013, 11:39 PM
2601 for anyone interested!

kolosy
01-21-2013, 02:55 AM
2601 for anyone interested!

are you going to be down there? if so, come by and say hello at booth 781!

@CPA
01-21-2013, 08:11 AM
That might give me a bit more time to buy a ticket and fly from Australia!

One day I will.

Ranger5022
01-21-2013, 08:21 PM

Could you pm the details please very interested in this

arwin
01-22-2013, 12:30 PM
kolosy - I'm interested in getting a SwingByte, is there any sort of discount that THP members can get?

swingbyteuk
01-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Could you pm the details please very interested in this

Just sent you a PM with my details

paleface
01-22-2013, 05:02 PM
http://vimeo.com/57813905

New swingbyte 2.0 hardware launched at the PGA show along with an updated 2.0 app. It seems the targetline fix we have been waiting for has been dealt with. According to Swingbyte the 2.0 app permits data comparison to ball target line (i.e. the flagstick you are aiming at). Currently club path is compared to club face direction at address. Whilst i'm happy that the targetline issue looks like it has been fixed I feel more than a little shortchanged by Swingbyte. They have received many comments regarding the slippage issue and obviously were conscious of the fact that there was a design flaw with the original unit. I received the original 1.0 version as a Christmas present and have serious slippage issues with it. Had I known that a new version would be released at the end of January I would of course have waited. For us supporters of Swingbyte through Hackers Paradise, I really would have appreciated a heads-up on this. I must have advised at least 5 wives of fellow golfers to buy their men Swingbytes over Christmas. Boy will they be annoyed that it's out of date already. For us early adopters that support new business endeavours we are left with sticking stupid adhesive mounting tabs to our golf clubs (I received 2 with my package so i can swing two clubs....lucky me).

IceyShanks
01-22-2013, 05:40 PM
The new version looks great. I can't wait to see the coverage from the PGA show on it!

Slider15
01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
I just bought one recently as well. The slippage doesn't bother me that much, if that's the only change I can deal with that. I just hope all the functionality will be incorporated into the first gen units.

paleface
01-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Slider, apparently the new app will work with the first gen units with full functionality so thats the good news. I do have slippage issues with all my irons (driver not so much) and its infuriating having to realign it each time, especially as its almost impossible to know if you replaced it in the same position as before.

Slider15
01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
One simple tip I can give is just take a sharpie and mark your grip or shaft to ensure you're aligning it the same way every time. My grips are grey so I can see the mark easily.

paleface
01-22-2013, 06:25 PM
I'll try that slider. Thanks.

JiveTalkinRobot
01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Tell them that they need to make a simulator game/app/software for this. With all those stats you could reasonably estimate ball flight.

kolosy
01-22-2013, 07:54 PM
http://vimeo.com/57813905

New swingbyte 2.0 hardware launched at the PGA show along with an updated 2.0 app. It seems the targetline fix we have been waiting for has been dealt with. According to Swingbyte the 2.0 app permits data comparison to ball target line (i.e. the flagstick you are aiming at). Currently club path is compared to club face direction at address. Whilst i'm happy that the targetline issue looks like it has been fixed I feel more than a little shortchanged by Swingbyte. They have received many comments regarding the slippage issue and obviously were conscious of the fact that there was a design flaw with the original unit. I received the original 1.0 version as a Christmas present and have serious slippage issues with it. Had I known that a new version would be released at the end of January I would of course have waited. For us supporters of Swingbyte through Hackers Paradise, I really would have appreciated a heads-up on this. I must have advised at least 5 wives of fellow golfers to buy their men Swingbytes over Christmas. Boy will they be annoyed that it's out of date already. For us early adopters that support new business endeavours we are left with sticking stupid adhesive mounting tabs to our golf clubs (I received 2 with my package so i can swing two clubs....lucky me).

Two things - the new app will be fully compatible with Swingbyte 1, and we'll be offering a loyalty discount to all existing Swingbyte users - so you're covered if you want the latest and greatest!

IceyShanks
01-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Two things - the new app will be fully compatible with Swingbyte 1, and we'll be offering a loyalty discount to all existing Swingbyte users - so you're covered if you want the latest and greatest!
Those are both amazing points.

kolosy
01-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Also - if you guys are looking for more info, here's the official page:

http://www.swingbyte.com/sb2

rcncgolf
01-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Bring it on!