PDA

View Full Version : Does cutting down the length of the putter mess with the weight?

bhilton
02-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I've always used a 35" putter even though I am not a tall person at all. I'm only 5'5", but I always just choked down to the end of th grip and putted like that. I've gotten used to it and it works. However, I went into the pro shop at my home course and they had an old seemore putter that was cut down to 32". When I held it, it just felt right. One of the guys in the pro shop said he doesn't like cutting down putters because it messes with the weight of the putter. I would like to get my putter cut down to the same length, but not if it's going to change the weight of the putter.

SeeMoreGuy
02-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I have had putter cut down and re-lengthed by 1/2" and not experienced and noticeable change. With such a significant change of 3" my guess is that would alter the weight but I will defer to the more experienced in this forum. Why not just grab the used Seemore putter?

TapAhoy!

Thainer21
02-05-2012, 10:38 AM
It changes the way the putter feels, but it wont change the actual weight. I think you'll be okay.

If I were you I would just buy the dang seemore!!

aslxa
02-05-2012, 11:28 AM
It will change both the swingweight (how heavy the head feels) and the total weight. You can add weight back to the head to adjust the swingweight with lead tape and you can add counterbalance weights at the butt end to change the total weight (by choking down 3" you are using the weight above your hands as something of a counterbalance). My guess is that the putter will feel different to you cut down versus choked down.

I've always used a 35" putter even though I am not a tall person at all. I'm only 5'5", but I always just choked down to the end of th grip and putted like that. I've gotten used to it and it works. However, I went into the pro shop at my home course and they had an old seemore putter that was cut down to 32". When I held it, it just felt right. One of the guys in the pro shop said he doesn't like cutting down putters because it messes with the weight of the putter. I would like to get my putter cut down to the same length, but not if it's going to change the weight of the putter.

HoosierGolfer
02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Never be afraid to experiment a little. Cutting 3 inches off will change the swing weight, but only you will know of it matters. Cut it down and find out. Anything done can be undone. Grips are easy to remove and reshafting is inexpensive and easy.

Tadashi70
02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm not 100% but I think for every inch you remove you adjust the swing weight by one. Again not 100% but I think that is the trade off. If your re used to the swing weight of your putter at 35" you will feel a difference if you cut 3" off. But as Hoosier stated, it can always be adjusted if you don't like it

v.man
02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
It will change both the swingweight (how heavy the head feels) and the total weight. You can add weight back to the head to adjust the swingweight with lead tape and you can add counterbalance weights at the butt end to change the total weight (by choking down 3" you are using the weight above your hands as something of a counterbalance). My guess is that the putter will feel different to you cut down versus choked down.

I know I cut down a belly putter and it really messed up the balance. I took it to a shop and they added lead tape, rebalanced it and adjusted the loft. I still can't putt with the dang thing though!

aslxa
02-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Did you readjust the lie? Assuming the same or similar hand position as your belly (and I know that everyone does not do that), your cut down putter may be too flat.

I know I cut down a belly putter and it really messed up the balance. I took it to a shop and they added lead tape, rebalanced it and adjusted the loft. I still can't putt with the dang thing though!

aslxa
02-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Actually rule of thumb is 3 sw points per 1/2" cut - 3" inches is a huge change in swingweight, which may or may not affect his feel for the putter.

I'm not 100% but I think for every inch you remove you adjust the swing weight by one. Again not 100% but I think that is the trade off. If your re used to the swing weight of your putter at 35" you will feel a difference if you cut 3" off. But as Hoosier stated, it can always be adjusted if you don't like it

aslxa
02-05-2012, 11:50 AM
BTW, I concur with this totally if the Seemore fits your eye as well.

I have had putter cut down and re-lengthed by 1/2" and not experienced and noticeable change. With such a significant change of 3" my guess is that would alter the weight but I will defer to the more experienced in this forum. Why not just grab the used Seemore putter?

TapAhoy!

v.man
02-05-2012, 12:17 PM

My bad. I said loft when I meant lie. I just couldn't seem to adjust to the belly putter.

aslxa
02-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Gotcha - that makes sense. Just from a fitting perspective, I've found that the belly putter requires a more exact ball location relative towards your stance. I play my conventional putter pretty far forward and that same position results in slight pulls with the belly.

My bad. I said loft when I meant lie. I just couldn't seem to adjust to the belly putter.

KellyBo
02-05-2012, 12:34 PM
I had a 35" putter that needed to be cut to 32" also. I took it to a master clubmaker to get it cut down and he only cut one inch off of it because he said it will make the head too light if he cut more. Lead tape is an option but I just choke down to make it work for me.

dug44
02-05-2012, 01:20 PM
I had a 35" putter that needed to be cut to 32" also. I took it to a master clubmaker to get it cut down and he only cut one inch off of it because he said it will make the head too light if he cut more. Lead tape is an option but I just choke down to make it work for me.

This makes me wonder why more manufacturers don't offer the shorter length putter to begin with. Surely there are enough vertically challenged and more crouched style golfers like myself to warrant this. I've had my putter shaft cut twice now because on colder days it would get caught up in my clothing. Also had a jumbo grip put on which may also affect the swing weight according to some. There was never any mention of swing weight changes when the clubfitter did any of these things, but I was aked to try it out first in the store. I have to admit I really didn"t notice much in the way of change though.

bhilton
02-05-2012, 07:15 PM
The reason I can't use the SeeMore putter that is in the proshop is it belongs to someone else. I'm still debating on cutting mine down. I'm not sure yet. One of the guys I play with brought me another SeeMore putter today that he's had for a year or two that is 34". That is a great putter. I was hitting every line I wanted to hit and if the greens would have been rolling like they normally are, I think I would have hit many of the putts, but due to a lot of rain we've had the past two days, they were rolling a little slow. He told me to hang onto it for as long as I wanted, so now I'm really thinking about cutting mine down and if it screws it up, I have a backup with the SeeMore (which I will probably switch to anyway)

HoosierGolfer
02-05-2012, 08:54 PM
The reason I can't use the SeeMore putter that is in the proshop is it belongs to someone else. I'm still debating on cutting mine down. I'm not sure yet. One of the guys I play with brought me another SeeMore putter today that he's had for a year or two that is 34". That is a great putter. I was hitting every line I wanted to hit and if the greens would have been rolling like they normally are, I think I would have hit many of the putts, but due to a lot of rain we've had the past two days, they were rolling a little slow. He told me to hang onto it for as long as I wanted, so now I'm really thinking about cutting mine down and if it screws it up, I have a backup with the SeeMore (which I will probably switch to anyway)

Don't be afraid to experiment. Reshafting is not expensive or complicated if it does not work out. Most people will not feel the difference in swing weight.

texasgolfer
02-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I recently bought a Ping Karsten B60 that was 32". I putted with it in the store, and loved it but I have always played with a 35" putter. I bought a new greip, and had 3" added to the length and I could not tell a difference at all in the overall weight. Obviously the weight changed once I added the 3", but is was so minute, I couldn't tell. I am sure shortening a putter would be similar.

mched
02-05-2012, 11:21 PM
I had a putter cut down from 34 inches to 32.5 and did not notice a difference, except that I felt more comfortable and confident with a putter that fit me better!!!

hunterprov1x
02-05-2012, 11:30 PM
if you cut down your putter and fined it messes up the swing weight you can just throw some led tame on the bottom of it. it should do the job just fine

HoosierGolfer
02-07-2012, 08:15 PM
When you cut down a putter shaft you are simply moving the balance point of the putter towards the head. It is really just changing the balance point. The shorter the shaft, the heavier the head will feel. It is a fine line and very subjective as to what is right and what is wrong. The only time you really need to worry about adding weight to the head of the putter would be if you were to take a short putter, which would have the correct head weight for the length, and turn it into a belly putter. The longer shaft and the weight of the grip, would move the balance point towards the grip or butt end making the head feel lighter.

HoosierHacker
02-21-2012, 10:29 PM
I apologize ahead of time if this is a stupid question. But let's say you have two putters, one 33" and the other 34", and they both have the same loft, lie, and headweight from the manufacturer. Would there be any difference in buying the 33" vs. buying the 34" and having an inch cut down? Or would you end up with two identical putters?

JF
02-22-2012, 07:46 AM
I apologize ahead of time if this is a stupid question. But let's say you have two putters, one 33" and the other 34", and they both have the same loft, lie, and headweight from the manufacturer. Would there be any difference in buying the 33" vs. buying the 34" and having an inch cut down? Or would you end up with two identical putters?

If they are the exact same head they would be identical. If the 34" is slightly heavier due to the longer shaft then it would feel heavier. Keep in mind if the 34" is cheaper add the cost of cutting the shaft plus a new grip and installation to it.

HoosierGolfer
02-22-2012, 09:02 AM

For the most part, OTR putters bought off the store rack, whether 33in, 34in or 35in are the same heads and head weight. Not true in every case, but true with a large number of OTR putters. Heads are mass produced for standard lengths. There is also some confussion on head weight when cutting down a shaft. When you remove 1 inch of shaft from the butt end, the balance point of the putter moves towards the head, thus making the head feel heavier. You never add weight to the head of a putter if you trim from the butt. Adding weight there only moves the balance point more towards the head. You only add head weight when you add length to a standard putter.

Head weights on OTR putters are the same no matter if they are 33in, 34in or 35 because the masses simply can not feel the difference. This would not be true of custom putters, which are made with the shaft length in mind. Ping has made thousands of manganese bronze Anser's over the years, and during each release, the heads were mass produced from a single mould and then shafted to lengths of 33in, 34in, 35in....Swing weight varied slightly, but not enough that 99.9% of the people buying them off the rack could feel. Too many people get caught up in this weight thing I think with a club you are not making full swings with. Swing weight in irons is important. This gives you the same feeling in your hands from iron to iron. Putters, being the only club in its class, can really be any weight. It is very subjective as to what is right and wrong weight wise with a putter.