wilson ci9 - uniflex shaft

i*windows

Reaction score
Handicap
hi, I'm new to the forum but have read all the posts on the wilson ci9s and after trying the ci11 I decided to buy some. I was expecting the stock shaft to be the FST Stepless, however the clubs turned up with some true temper uniflex - even though the SKU is for a Regular shaft. Has anyone any experience with this shaft? any idea which TT shaft it could be, I really liked the ci11 with the FST and I cant decide wether I should send these back or not... I got them for a very good price!

hi, I'm new to the forum but have read all the posts on the wilson ci9s and after trying the ci11 I decided to buy some. I was expecting the stock shaft to be the FST Stepless, however the clubs turned up with some true temper uniflex - even though the SKU is for a Regular shaft. Has anyone any experience with this shaft? any idea which TT shaft it could be, I really liked the ci11 with the FST and I cant decide wether I should send these back or not... I got them for a very good price!

First I want to say, welcome to the forum!

I'm confused. You bought the Ci9's or Ci11's? Because I think the Ci9's came with a stock uniflex shaft, while the 11's only come in reg and stiff. The FST Stepless shaft in the Ci9 is made by TT, just like the TX Flighted in the Ci11 is made by TT as well.

First I want to say, welcome to the forum!

I'm confused. You bought the Ci9's or Ci11's? Because I think the Ci9's came with a stock uniflex shaft, while the 11's only come in reg and stiff. The FST Stepless shaft in the Ci9 is made by TT, just like the TX Flighted in the Ci11 is made by TT as well.

Hi sorry I bought the CI9's. But I demod the Ci11s as I couldnt find any CI9s(as I guessed the performance is pretty similar)

On the Wilson website it says that the CI9 come with the FST as stock, but these are uniflex. I've tried to figure out the step pattern on the TT website, but cant find anything to match. I'm not a shaft snob and I dont mind playing the uniflex, but I dont know how it compares with the FST, which when I demoed in the CI11 was great and felt.

There seem to be a lot of CI9's with uniflex appearing in the outlet stores in europe.

Hi sorry I bought the CI9's. But I demod the Ci11s as I couldnt find any CI9s(as I guessed the performance is pretty similar)

On the Wilson website it says that the CI9 come with the FST as stock, but these are uniflex. I've tried to figure out the step pattern on the TT website, but cant find anything to match. I'm not a shaft snob and I dont mind playing the uniflex, but I dont know how it compares with the FST, which when I demoed in the CI11 was great and felt.

There seem to be a lot of CI9's with uniflex appearing in the outlet stores in europe.

Ah, I'm not sure whether WS puts a different stock shaft in the Ci11s over in Europe rather than in the US, but I do know that they have the different TX Flighted shafts as their stock offering here rather than the FST stepless. The FST does come in uniflex for the Ci9s. I think these are proprietary shafts made for Wilson Staff by TT, and that's the reason why they aren't showing up on their website.

I have gamed the Di11s, which had a made-for by TT uniflex shaft in them, and enjoyed the feel of the shaft a lot. It really helped get the ball up in the air a bit, while my Ci11s have a more mid-high flight to them. One of our THP members, mcook77, has been gaming the Ci9's, and could give you a bit more info on the shaft and overall feel. The Ci9s were a good iron set, no doubt.

Ah, I'm not sure whether WS puts a different stock shaft in the Ci11s over in Europe rather than in the US, but I do know that they have the different TX Flighted shafts as their stock offering here rather than the FST stepless. The FST does come in uniflex for the Ci9s. I think these are proprietary shafts made for Wilson Staff by TT, and that's the reason why they aren't showing up on their website.

I have gamed the Di11s, which had a made-for by TT uniflex shaft in them, and enjoyed the feel of the shaft a lot. It really helped get the ball up in the air a bit, while my Ci11s have a more mid-high flight to them. One of our THP members, mcook77, has been gaming the Ci9's, and could give you a bit more info on the shaft and overall feel. The Ci9s were a good iron set, no doubt.

thanks for the feedback. I'll contact Wilson and see if they have some idea to the shaft and how it plays; I'm sure it will be fine for me though

wilson said : "It probably won’t be the uniflex shaft, our uniflex shaft is an oversize shaft which doesn’t fit into a Ci9 head. It may have the wrong production label on the club." so could be some TX flighted shaft?

Hello, this thread let me to this site and tons of interesting discussion. I believe I have part of the answer to this question that I will post so others Googling the same topic find the answer.

My best guess is that Wilson decided to dump some TT Uniflex shafts into remaining CI9 heads and then close them out. The clubs being sold by Golfsmith, ebay and others with Uniflex shaft are not the stock stepless shafts. For example, shaft length in the clubs are not what is posted on Wilson site. They are 1/2 inch shorter meaning that are the same lenght as most clubs on the market such as Calloway. So if you want more industry normal shaft lenghts then you might actually like these better then the stepless. 5 iron is 38 inches long in my set. Swing weight measured D2 as posted on the wilson web site.

The shaft that is installed looks to have similar step pattern to a TT Dynamic Gold Stiff shaft I have but not exactly the same. I tested the shaft in the Ci9 and found it really betweeen the Dyn Gold Stiff and several Regular Steel shafts I have in terms of stiffness. My ball flight is generally too high and this club lowers it slightly; guess the rest of the change needs to come from a less decending blow.

Originally like the poster, I was upset that Golfsmith sent me clubs that were not what they or Wilson said they were. Now I'm past that and find the clubs suit me very well. I carry a 5 iron 180 give or take 5 yards on average so normally this puts me between a regular and stiff shaft.

These clubs rock by the way. I had mine delivered new with some promotions going on for $190. They make me swing a little better then my GI Pings but they are teaching me to improve my plane. Glad I got these vs. the far more expensive options I was considering.

not sure how the Di11 Uniflex fat shaft compares to the one you have, but I have a 76 mph 7i swing and a fitter told me that the Uniflex was a bit stiff for me. He said it falls somewhere between a Reg and Stiff. He said he would have put me in a normal reg flex shaft.

Still kinda bunk you got something you didn't expect.

not sure how the Di11 Uniflex fat shaft compares to the one you have, but I have a 76 mph 7i swing and a fitter told me that the Uniflex was a bit stiff for me. He said it falls somewhere between a Reg and Stiff. He said he would have put me in a normal reg flex shaft.

Still kinda bunk you got something you didn't expect.

Most of the time fitters will tell me that I can play either stiff or regular and honestly I think a uniflex is a perfect fit for my swing. By my measures the shaft in the CI9 (which is not a fat shaft) is closer to stiff then Regular.

It should be noted that Golfsmith offered me a free return label and full refund. Given I paid so little an wanted to try the clubs I decided to keep them and have them reshafted if I liked the head but not shaft. They certainly seem to be working out and reshafting, differnet grips and lie adjustment would be a tweek not a major performance improvement or me.

I do have a question that I should figure out (mabye too long a week). If the stock club is a D2 with say a 36 inch shaft in the PW and my set is D2 with 35.5 inch shaft in PW and same grip as stock does this mean my shaft is heavier or lighter then the stock shaft?????

If the step pattern has 9 half inch steps then a 4 inch space then more large steps (like my CI-7's), they are most likely TT Multi Step Lites.

FST is a different company altogether and actually is the parent company of KBS...just sayin

Back