Very Basic Fitting Questions

anderjasonville

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm about 4 years into playing the game and bought my second set of clubs at the end of last year. I've never been fitted and don't know a lot about it. After some lessons, the base of my swing is really starting to be mostly consistent as I was a relatively consistent 15 handicap last year. I don't intend to get new clubs anytime soon and am wondering opinions on how important fitting is, as well as a general idea on costs.

Just for reference, I'm 5'8-5'9". My bag is Rocketballz Driver, 3W, 3H. Burner 2.0 Irons, Cleveland CG14 Wedges.

Thanks for your help.

Fitting becomes more important as you get better. For you, having the proper loft(bounce) angle and lie angle on your irons will be most important. Higher loft will help you on your driver. Shaft fitting is important as well but not as important until you have a solid swing, IMO. It depends where you get fit for the price. My shop charges 30 for fitting and bending. GG charged 50 plus bending, Performance labs charge over 100 for the fitting.

THPing on Tapatalk

Yes it will improve your game. I'm a firm believer that certain shafts are designed for certain swings and will assist with your tendency to miss. It will tighten your dispersion and may even make you a longer hitter.

I would recommend stopping by Golf Galaxy and testing the basic fitting option, which I believe is $30. Gives you 30mins on the launch monitor with a sale associate assisting. There are high end fitting facilities I could recommend in the area as well, but they cost a few hundred for a full bag or at least $100 for club specific.

It depends on how much you personally desire to become a better player with lower scores. If you definitely do then getting some swing lessons before getting fitted would be a good idea. Your improved swing will likely need a different makeup of shafts, lengths, swing weight, etc.

Are you asking if you should get a fitting done to check the lie of your current clubs or are you planning for the future when you buy new ones?

Current clubs. I like the Burner 2.0s and don't really want to get rid of them...unless the fitting showed something shocking about their fit for me.

An iron fitting will certainly help to develop your game. A good pro will be able to tell you if your clubs need adjusting, and by adjusting them will be able to help you to improve your ball striking in general.

It's definatley worth doing and I wouldn't consider buying irons without having them fitted for me now.

If you're happy with how they perform and are hitting them straight, I'd say skip the fitting until you are ready to buy something else, then have your new ones fitted. Then again, I don't know how much it costs to just have your lie angle checked. Maybe someone else can give a price range for that and if it doesn't cost much, it wouldn't hurt to have them checked to make sure the lie angle is correct for your swing.

If you're happy with how they perform and are hitting them straight, I'd say skip the fitting until you are ready to buy something else, then have your new ones fitted. Then again, I don't know how much it costs to just have your lie angle checked. Maybe someone else can give a price range for that and if it doesn't cost much, it wouldn't hurt to have them checked to make sure the lie angle is correct for your swing.

I think it costs around $35 to get lie checked and adjusted for a set of 8 clubs (at Golf Galaxy at least)

I'm about 4 years into playing the game and bought my second set of clubs at the end of last year. I've never been fitted and don't know a lot about it. After some lessons, the base of my swing is really starting to be mostly consistent as I was a relatively consistent 15 handicap last year. I don't intend to get new clubs anytime soon and am wondering opinions on how important fitting is, as well as a general idea on costs.

Just for reference, I'm 5'8-5'9". My bag is Rocketballz Driver, 3W, 3H. Burner 2.0 Irons, Cleveland CG14 Wedges.

Thanks for your help.

4 years in and you've become a consistent 15. Congrats, this is a difficult game! I think everyone here has kind-of stressed the importance of a fitting. No question, a fitting is going to put you on the correct lie, length and loft. The cost will be less than one round of golf (at most places) and you've got some of the best equipment on the market at this moment. If you're curious about it, I really think you should lay your worries to rest.

I guess my question is: then what?

What part of your game needs the most work? What's the best part of your game? What keeps you from being a 10? How is your course management? Golf isn't just about "grip it and rip it". Most of the time, the separation from 15-10 is some combination of tee shot, approach, short game and/or course management. What's the biggest difference for you between an 82 and an 87? I think the biggest part is learning what needs work and then how to better execute it once you've identified it. I hope this doesn't sound condescending, it's not meant to. I just want you to think about how to identify strengths and weaknesses, risks vs rewards and ways to accomplish your task most efficiently. Golf is a strategy of point A to point B.

It sounds like you really want to improve. I think you're looking for a way to do it. I just think its important for you to consider the best WAY for you to do that...

This didn't sound condescending at all. It's really what I've been thinking about going into this season. I don't need any new equipment. I just thought about the fitting as a means to solidify that everything is kosher in that area.

There are a couple places I need to work...one is consistency. I feel like if I analyzed my rounds, I'd look like a 10 for 15 holes and a 25 for three holes. The other is short game. Usually those blowups relate to bad sand play, bad play from 50 yards, etc. Those aren't equipment problems.

This didn't sound condescending at all. It's really what I've been thinking about going into this season. I don't need any new equipment. I just thought about the fitting as a means to solidify that everything is kosher in that area.

There are a couple places I need to work...one is consistency. I feel like if I analyzed my rounds, I'd look like a 10 for 15 holes and a 25 for three holes. The other is short game. Usually those blowups relate to bad sand play, bad play from 50 yards, etc. Those aren't equipment problems.

I think the fitting would be a great idea then. Solidifying that what you're playing with 100% matches your swing is priceless piece of mind...

The short game is normally what separates the pros from the rest of us. Best piece of advice I can give you is the "clock drill". Making swings with different wedges/clubs from 8:00 to 4:00, 9:00 to 3:00, 10:00 to 2:00, 11:00 to 1:00 and knowing how far they will go is priceless information. From a 100 yards and in, this will make life a lot simpler for you and will take some of the guess work out of what type of shot you need to hit with which club. You can usually accomplish this in one range session and then you can practice it as needed. For instance, if a 56* wedge 10:00 to 2:00 gives you 50 yards and you are having issues with that particular yardage, then you can work on it specifically. Sand play is a different story and a different topic but try to improve one area at a time and I think you'll see your scores begin to take shape as your knowledge of your swing does as well.

Back