PDA

View Full Version : TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Putter - Forum Review

Pages : [1] 2 3

War Eagle
05-02-2013, 06:50 PM
TaylorMade has sent out their new Daddy Long Legs putter for another round of THP Forum Testing! Putters are now making their way to the testers, and this thread will be for their long term testing reviews, thoughts and experiences with the latest Putter release from TaylorMade.

Feel free to join in the discussion with questions and share your thoughts as well!

Forum Testers;
golfinFF
v.man
niteowl03
jjmorris

golfinFF
05-03-2013, 11:21 AM
I just received confirmation from the wife that a fedex box arrived at the house this morning from CT from Taylormade. I can't wait to get home tonight and throw up some pics and initial thoughts here.

Brianbigoats
05-03-2013, 02:32 PM
I just received confirmation from the wife that a fedex box arrived at the house this morning from CT from Taylormade. I can't wait to get home tonight and throw up some pics and initial thoughts here.
I will be very intrested in your thoughts i have a DLL coming it will be here today also

niteowl03
05-03-2013, 03:05 PM
I got notification from the wife that my putter had arrived but was out with some friends. I took these pictures at 2am when I got home I was so excited. This putter looks good and feels stable. I looks very similar to the Rossa Monza Spider I gamed for a few months. I opted for the 38" Daddy Long Legs since I was fitted to a 35" putter. I will be gripping down on the putter by three inches or so.

According to Taylormade's site: "The idea is to grip the club as you would a normal-length putter, with two or three inches of the butt-end of the grip extended above your hands, which gives you the maximum benefit of counterbalancing. Thus, if you normally play a 35” putter you should opt for the 38”; if you play a 33” putter should use the 35”; if you play a 34” putter you can experiment with both the 35 and 38” to find which you prefer."

Alignment - The alignment is very simple but effective with a single line, but the design does a great job of framing the ball. "White leading edge and single, simple black alignment line make aiming easy."

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/bayloreagle03/Golf/DLL/DSC_0755_zpsf32b2a0b.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/bayloreagle03/media/Golf/DLL/DSC_0755_zpsf32b2a0b.jpg.html)

Taylormade opted for double bend heel shafted which should help the hands stay in front of the ball. The Pure Roll insert should help the ball roll smooth "PureRoll Surlyn® insert promotes soft-yet solid feel and smooth roll straight off the face"

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/bayloreagle03/Golf/DLL/2013-05-03124001_zpsb3877cca.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/bayloreagle03/media/Golf/DLL/2013-05-03124001_zpsb3877cca.jpg.html)

With a head weight of 395gm and face balanced the head really promotes a stable stroke. "Highest MOI head--over 8500--of any TaylorMade putter ever for tremendous twist-resistance and distance-control on off-center hits"

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/bayloreagle03/Golf/DLL/2013-05-03124704_zpsa29781f9.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/bayloreagle03/media/Golf/DLL/2013-05-03124704_zpsa29781f9.jpg.html)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/bayloreagle03/Golf/DLL/2013-05-03130241_zps4c0d76d6.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/bayloreagle03/media/Golf/DLL/2013-05-03130241_zps4c0d76d6.jpg.html)

The grip is about 5" longer than my current SeeMore. I also really like the graphical similarities between the headcover and the grip. "130-gram grip counterbalances head-weight to help you swing the head smoothly and on path. Counter-balanced Daddy Long Legs is 60% more stable based on overall club MOI values than a traditional putter."

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/bayloreagle03/Golf/DLL/DSC_0745_zps6b4e14fa.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/bayloreagle03/media/Golf/DLL/DSC_0745_zps6b4e14fa.jpg.html)

I am playing 9 holes tonight and look forward to putting this on the course and getting some more pictures. My putting has been horrific with my SB1 lately especially in relation to speed. I am excited to see if this can remedy some of those problems.

War Eagle
05-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Great pics niteowl! Looking forward to hearing how your 9 hole round goes!

thedue
05-03-2013, 03:33 PM
That thing is beautiful niteowl. Can't wait to hear what you think long term.

Brianbigoats
05-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Looks Great can't wait to get home and get mine

IceyShanks
05-03-2013, 03:47 PM
So are the heel weights changeable like other TM mallets?

niteowl03
05-03-2013, 04:23 PM
So are the heel weights changeable like other TM mallets?

There are actually no weights in the heel.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/bayloreagle03/Golf/DLL/2013-05-03142107_zps043609ae.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/bayloreagle03/media/Golf/DLL/2013-05-03142107_zps043609ae.jpg.html)

IceyShanks
05-03-2013, 04:25 PM
There are actually no weights in the heel.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/bayloreagle03/Golf/DLL/2013-05-03142107_zps043609ae.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/bayloreagle03/media/Golf/DLL/2013-05-03142107_zps043609ae.jpg.html)
Thanks for the pic and the update, from the top it looks like previous TM mallets that had them, very interesting they got rid of those. I always loved using the same tool on my driver that I then used on my putter!

afwcardinal
05-03-2013, 04:28 PM
That is a good looking putter the Aaron. Look forward to see how it felt in the course.

niteowl03
05-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the pic and the update, from the top it looks like previous TM mallets that had them, very interesting they got rid of those. I always loved using the same tool on my driver that I then used on my putter!

My Rossa Monza Spider had the weights and it was nice that it was the same tool, but I would bet that with the balanced face in combination with the counter weighting that there is no need to move weight around.

SaskeyInWash
05-03-2013, 04:36 PM
I would be interested in hear anyones comment who is or has played the Spider S on how the white top with black line compares to the black top with while line of the Spider S. I grabbed one at the golf shop yesterday and rolled a few putts and thought that my current Spider S with the black top was easier to aline. They didn't have the 38" model that I would need so I can't put to much into how it felt.

niteowl03
05-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I would be interested in hear anyones comment who is or has played the Spider S on how the white top with black line compares to the black top with while line of the Spider S. I grabbed one at the golf shop yesterday and rolled a few putts and thought that my current Spider S with the black top was easier to aline. They didn't have the 38" model that I would need so I can't put to much into how it felt.

Personally I like the design of the white top sitting inside the black on the DLL better as it seems to frame the ball better to my eye. I think this could easily be personal preference.

War Eagle
05-03-2013, 04:55 PM
I am guessing they removed the weights since the weighting system they went with in the shaft/grip made up for it.

IceyShanks
05-03-2013, 05:38 PM
I am guessing they removed the weights since the weighting system they went with in the shaft/grip made up for it.
Yeah that makes sense, if you messed with the weight the counterbalance would probably get thrown way off.

eyedrb
05-03-2013, 05:54 PM

I have tried the spider S at my local Dick's and loved it. Felt I was making great contact and easy to aline. I went to a golfsmiths last week and they had the daddy long legs, if I was going to buy one it would be the long legs. The grip is MUCH longer and the weight seems perfect to me. I was hitting some real long putts and seemed to be really consistant with distance. Im not sure what the exact size is compared to the spider S but to me the LLs seemed HUGE and hard to miss the center. My only complaint (other than name) is that the bottom seems made of real cheap plastic, unlike the spider 2 which seemed much nicer.. But really how often do you look at that?

Brianbigoats
05-03-2013, 06:22 PM
I have tried the spider S at my local Dick's and loved it. Felt I was making great contact and easy to aline. I went to a golfsmiths last week and they had the daddy long legs, if I was going to buy one it would be the long legs. The grip is MUCH longer and the weight seems perfect to me. I was hitting some real long putts and seemed to be really consistant with distance. Im not sure what the exact size is compared to the spider S but to me the LLs seemed HUGE and hard to miss the center. My only complaint (other than name) is that the bottom seems made of real cheap plastic, unlike the spider 2 which seemed much nicer.. But really how often do you look at that?

I would guess that the plastic on the bottom is to reduce weight so it can be put somewhere else

niteowl03
05-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I just showed up at Edwin Watts to meet up with my buddy before the round tonight and gave this a quick test. 5 out of 7 from 10ft first time rolling it... this thing seems

A few more pics:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/ysy4u7ub.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/e4ypugej.jpg

Jeff Spicoli
05-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Great writeup and pics, niteowl. I rolled the DDL for a bit at the store and really liked the stability, especially at 38". It seems like it would be a big help for me on short to mid length, as far as helping me get a consistent stroke going. It seems like it really helps me to putt exactly where I am aiming. This thread is definitely one I'll be following. Can't wait to hear how it works out for you guys.

niteowl03
05-03-2013, 07:28 PM
One more pic just for fun!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/ju7yqura.jpg

IceyShanks
05-03-2013, 10:34 PM
One more pic just for fun!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/ju7yqura.jpg
What's the patch on there? It looks like an odyssey swirl with a plumbing pipe.

golfinFF
05-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Thank You again to THP and Taylormade for this great testing opportunity.

I chose the 38" since my gamer is roughly 37 and with the DLL being designed to be choked down on, I did not want to have a too short of putter. I have always played my ping and only briefly tested some mallets.

My wife texted me this morning saying that a box had arrived from Taylormade, which got me all happy and I couldn't wait to get home and unbox it get some time in with it.

I decided to just go play 18 at my local track which I hadn't played yet this yr. I got to the course with the intention of hitting the practice green then going out and playing. The course was slow, so when one guy showed up to go out I asked if he would like to play together. Off we went with no practice time for me.

I struggled the first few holes leaving putts quite a bit short as the greens were quite fuzzy and slow. Then for a few holes I was long by two to three ft as I tried to adjust to the speed of the greens. By the time we made the turn I had the greens and putter pretty well figured out.

The wind was ridiculous on the back and just finding the green as often as I did was a miracle. Attacking pins was not an option I had several approaches that the wind blew 15 yards offline. I was 2 putting everything and was making lags from 20ft to almost 40+ footers to with in 3-4ft with some crazy breaks on some of them. I only had one or two at 5ft or longer and those were crazy breaks up hill and into the wind. Anything under 20ft seemed to be getting with in a 2ft circle.

Sound

The ball seemed to come off the insert hot but because of the greens being so fuzzy they didn't seem to roll as far as I would have thought. The Insert makes a nice dull sound when struck center. When hit off the toe it sounds dead like you will come up way short but that didn't seem to be the case.

Distance control

Once I figured out how the greens were rolling I was very happy with how well I was able to control the distance. On off center hits the distance was still good, just a little offline and maybe a touch short, both of which are totally expected.

Looks

Looking down on this is going to take some time to get used to for me since I have never gamed anything of this size. I do like the way the ball is framed, when set up in front of DLL. The white is not distracting and really stands out against the green and the black almost disappears. The grip really sets this club apart when its on the rack.

Feel

The putter head feels lite which I did not expect, yet feels heavy enough to make those long lag putts with out having to smack the ball. The grip is soft on the outside yet firm and really feels comfortable.

When putting I place my left thumb on the spiders body, which seems like a great spot for getting a consistent grip. I will play with different hand positions later but for now this seems to be working well. I am still working on ball position to get my swing right.

I am leaving out the pics sinc Nite did such an amazing job! I only have the one below to add.
Ball at adress on the practice green after my round.

After the round I spent 20-30mins on the putting green just getting a little more acquainted with it. The putting green was just as slow as the rest of the greens and was showing the aeration holes worse that I did not see on the course. My time on the putting green just gave me time to get some better feedback.

I did allow my playing partner to roll it and he did really well with it and commented on how good it felt, the ease to put with it. He did use it as a short belly putter a couple time wich was funny yet worked really well.

War Eagle
05-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Image loaded from phone, review in the works 9347
Already rolling it! Looking forward to your thoughts.

Rhyno
05-03-2013, 10:50 PM
A friend of mine was interested in this, so I'm gonna fill him in. Thanks.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Brianbigoats
05-03-2013, 11:02 PM
I got mine today took 6 20 footers on the practice green i hit 4 of 6
it feel as i can make anything inside of 10 ft
Distance control coming from my method 004 is a work in progress

This Putter is Point and shoot

Ole Gray
05-03-2013, 11:15 PM
This putter really intrigues me. I'm looking forward to following along this journey with the testers! Nice pics niteowl!

TMAdidas
05-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Cool pics niteowl! I'm really into this thread.

Pkielwa
05-03-2013, 11:17 PM
I went to the Cleveland Almost Belly for the very reasons TaylorMade designed this club. And I can tell you all, affirmatively, that the counter balancing above the hands is a game changer. It accentuates my feel, and greatly helps with my tempo. If you haven't tried these longer putters, counterweighted, you're missing out! Can't wait to see how the testers respond to this club.

niteowl03
05-03-2013, 11:36 PM
What's the patch on there? It looks like an odyssey swirl with a plumbing pipe.

Its the Odyssey Drain Patch. Its there new campaign for the Versa during May. If you go into a retailer and drain a 10ft putt with the Versa you get the patch...Well while I was in Edwin Watts today they were setting it up and I bet my friend working there a patch vs $10 that I could drain the first one with my DLL and he took it. Well I drained 5 out of 7!! I am putting together my thoughts after tonights 9 holes and will be posting them after dinner...Teaser----This thing is NICE!!

niteowl03
05-04-2013, 01:08 AM
Ok so first time out with the DLL today. I wasnt aware the the greens has just been punched so I was a little frustrated since I had been looking forward to this all day. As I have said in previous posts I had good success in the store with it.

Stats:
1 Putts: 3
2 Putts: 6
3 Putts: 0!!!

Performance:
First hole I hit a decent iron short of the green, I then managed to blade my chip to the back edge of the green (I guess the golf gods really want me to test this putter out!) Unsure of how the speed was on the greens along with this putter I chose to be a little conservative. A well struck putt actually burned the edge of the hole and was about 1ft past. I honestly expected less speed compared to my SeeMore milled face, but I think part of this was the bumpy dry greens.

Fourth hole I am trying to groove this new release in my golf swing and managed to pure my 6i about 15yds over the green, made a great chip to about 8ft. Took my line remembered the putt in the store and put the putt in the center of the cup.

Fifth hole, this green always haunts me as its 2 tiered and Im always on the wrong tier. Still playing with the new swing I just wanted to be on the bottom tier today where the pin was...NO...had to hit another good iron 2 feet from the fringe on the top tier in the back of the green. I have about 65ft to the pin with a 4ft drop in the center. Myself and the other 2 guys read the putt and picked a spot, my plan was to die it at the top of the hill and let it run down near the hole. I really felt the stability of the putter here when trying to put a good size stroke on this ball. The putt died a foot past the top of the hill and burned the edge of the cup 6ft past the hole, dropped the putt coming back.

Ninth hole was playing 364yds down hill and we had a decent wind to our backs. I hit driver and it seemed to never stop running (gotta love Texas fairways early) I was about 10ft off the front edge with the pin about 6ft off the front edge. I opted to chutt to see how this would perform. I missed the speed and left it just on the edge of the green but the line looked good. The remaining 5ft was an easy tap in!

Summary:
Obviously going from a milled face in my SeeMore SB1 as well as toying with a FGP mallet the Surlyn insert is a different animal. Also the change from enter shafted to the double bend heel shaft is also a different appearance.

The speed is going to take some getting used to but as far as line goes this seems to make swinging the putter along the path an easier task. The added weight above the hands helps to stabilize the putter and keep it from twisting in the stroke. There is very little sound off the face of this putter which was a very weird change coming from the milled face but almost nice as it meant I was hitting the center of the face. All in all this putter performed very well. As usual it will take a little getting used to but I have very high hopes going forward. I probably wont get back to the course till Wednesday afternoon or Thursday as this is finals week but look for more thoughts to come then!

Brianbigoats
05-04-2013, 01:16 AM
I noticed the sound thing as well when hitting some putts today very different from a milled face

cpljohnst
05-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Great stuff so far testers! I'll be following along with this one. I was impressed and intrigued by the 38" putter after rolling a few with it at a retailer recently.

golfinFF
05-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Nite glad to see your having such an early success with it and great pics as well.

v.man
05-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Great start to the reviews Niteowl and GolffinFF. I'll be a little late getting my Daddy Longlegs since I was traveling and didn't get my shipping data to GG until late. But, I couldn't stand it and went to PGA SS in search of the new DLL. At the Roswell store they had only one in stock. Luckily it was a 35 inch, which is what I ordered. But, the head and grip were still wrapped in plastic and it had a big annoying security lock thingy on the shaft. I thought that would throw off the balance, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Initial Thoughts: I currently game the Odyssey 2-Ball and have since it came out years ago. I've tried many putters but always returned to the 2-Ball--my comfort zone. The Daddy Long Legs mallet type head is similar to the spyder but larger, and larger than the 2-Ball. Just looking at it will take a little getting used to. It is heavier than my 2-Ball also. Holding it felt a little strange to me from a weight standpoint. But, surprisingly, when in position over the ball and choking up as suggested, it does not feel heavy and the stroke back and through seems so effortless. Even with the plastic and lock on the shaft it really felt comfortable as I practiced my stroke with it.

Initial Results: (albeit on a carpet in PGA SS) I grabbed 3 balls out of the cup next to me and picked a cup about 15 feet away, lined it up and fired my first round. Again, the stroke back and through felt effortless and the putter felt very stable. I know that is in the tag line for this putter, but I'm telling you truly what it felt like. I really expect that readers will be hearing that over and over from the reviewers as this unfolds. The first putt rolled straight and true right into the cup. Putt number two looked like an instant replay. Putt number 3 was a little too firm and hit the lip and spun around. I walked to that cup and putted the same 3 balls back to the cup I just putted from. Putt number 1, drain-o. Putt number 2 lip out. Putt number 3 stopped just short. My first thoughts then were "man, goodbye 2-Ball. For the next half hour I played with the DLL at various lengths and couldn't believe how comfortable this putter felt in my hands. I usually have a difficult time adjusting to a new putter, which is why I have always returned to the Odyssey.

I know it is early on, and putting indoors on a mat with little or no break to the putts isn't a real test. But, it has really gotten me excited to get my hands on the Daddy Longlegs and onto the course for real testing.

I'm so glad THP and TaylorMade picked me for testing this new putter. It's going to be a blast. Thanks again.

TMAdidas
05-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Great write-up vman!

afwcardinal
05-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Lots of good thoughts so far guys. Nice going. Looking forward to hearing more about these putters.

Ole Gray
05-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Ok so first time out with the DLL today. I wasnt aware the the greens has just been punched so I was a little frustrated since I had been looking forward to this all day. As I have said in previous posts I had good success in the store with it.

Stats:
2 Putts: 6
3 Putts: 0!!!

The speed is going to take some getting used to but as far as line goes this seems to make swinging the putter along the path an easier task. The added weight above the hands helps to stabilize the putter and keep it from twisting in the stroke. There is very little sound off the face of this putter which was a very weird change coming from the milled face but almost nice as it meant I was hitting the center of the face. All in all this putter performed very well. As usual it will take a little getting used to but I have very high hopes going forward. I probably wont get back to the course till Wednesday afternoon or Thursday as this is finals week but look for more thoughts to come then

I love stat #3 ! :in-love:

I noticed the sound being low while rolling KellyBo's blade version.

Great start to the reviews Niteowl and GolffinFF. I'll be a little late getting my Daddy Longlegs since I was traveling and didn't get my shipping data to GG until late. But, I couldn't stand it and went to PGA SS in search of the new DLL. At the Roswell store they had only one in stock. Luckily it was a 35 inch, which is what I ordered. But, the head and grip were still wrapped in plastic and it had a big annoying security lock thingy on the shaft. I thought that would throw off the balance, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Initial Thoughts: I currently game the Odyssey 2-Ball and have since it came out years ago. I've tried many putters but always returned to the 2-Ball--my comfort zone. The Daddy Long Legs mallet type head is similar to the spyder but larger, and larger than the 2-Ball. Just looking at it will take a little getting used to. It is heavier than my 2-Ball also. Holding it felt a little strange to me from a weight standpoint. But, surprisingly, when in position over the ball and choking up as suggested, it does not feel heavy and the stroke back and through seems so effortless. Even with the plastic and lock on the shaft it really felt comfortable as I practiced my stroke with it.

Initial Results: (albeit on a carpet in PGA SS) I grabbed 3 balls out of the cup next to me and picked a cup about 15 feet away, lined it up and fired my first round. Again, the stroke back and through felt effortless and the putter felt very stable. I know that is in the tag line for this putter, but I'm telling you truly what it felt like. I really expect that readers will be hearing that over and over from the reviewers as this unfolds. The first putt rolled straight and true right into the cup. Putt number two looked like an instant replay. Putt number 3 was a little too firm and hit the lip and spun around. I walked to that cup and putted the same 3 balls back to the cup I just putted from. Putt number 1, drain-o. Putt number 2 lip out. Putt number 3 stopped just short. My first thoughts then were "man, goodbye 2-Ball. For the next half hour I played with the DLL at various lengths and couldn't believe how comfortable this putter felt in my hands. I usually have a difficult time adjusting to a new putter, which is why I have always returned to the Odyssey.

I know it is early on, and putting indoors on a mat with little or no break to the putts isn't a real test. But, it has really gotten me excited to get my hands on the Daddy Longlegs and onto the course for real testing.

I'm so glad THP and TaylorMade picked me for testing this new putter. It's going to be a blast. Thanks again.

Looking forward to seeing how you roll this bad boy down my way one day soon! I need to roll er a few times too :D

Brianbigoats
05-05-2013, 11:53 PM
I played 18 today i did not keep putting stats but only a few 3 putts maybe 3-4 most of those are due distance control coming from a milled face if i put it on line it goes straight i did have 2 one putts

Misfit
05-06-2013, 11:49 AM
I just picked this putter up yesterday and rushed out to play 18. It took me 9 holes to get the feel. 2nd nine the putter really took shape for me. Birdied 3 holes on the back, and not 1 3 putt. It may sound funny, but I think the feel off the face is very similar to my TM 8DOT driver (very muted and plastic/hot feel). It is a very good feeling putter and almost impossible to miss.

Jjmorris
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Good stuff so far to those who have received their putters. Hoping mine comes in today and I can get some initial thoughts down.

v.man
05-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Looking forward to seeing how you roll this bad boy down my way one day soon! I need to roll er a few times too :D

Probably won't get the chance to get over there before we leave for Orlando, but, I will have it with me at the outing. Maybe we can get a round together down there.

v.man
05-06-2013, 03:46 PM
My previous reviews of Daddy Long Legs:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?44044-TaylorMade-Daddy-Long-Legs-Putter-Forum-Review/page3 #35

Got home this morning to see that FedEx had dropped some joy on my doorstep while I was gone, so I thought I'd add a little to my initial thoughts after demoing it at the PGA Super Store. What a beauty the TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs is.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/kgv0622/IMG_2950_zpsadfd7ff3.jpg (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/kgv0622/media/IMG_2950_zpsadfd7ff3.jpg.html)

I had mentioned in my initial write up that the DLL is a fairly larger version of the Ghost Spider with a larger head and slightly heavier than my long-time gamer, the Odyssey 2-Ball. Here is a pic showing the difference.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/kgv0622/IMG_2946_zps58971879.jpg (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/kgv0622/media/IMG_2946_zps58971879.jpg.html)

Looking at them side by side, I don't think I'll have a difficult time adjusting from a size perspective; shape is another thing.

I also had some initial concerns about alignment, since I'm so used to just lining up the "three" balls and shooting. But, as you can see below, that shouldn't be a problem, especially since I use an alignment line on my ball. It can't get much easier than a simple straight line.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/kgv0622/IMG_2949_zps4fd42512.jpg (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/kgv0622/media/IMG_2949_zps4fd42512.jpg.html)

I'm really anxious to get this baby out on the course, especially since I had so much success with it fooling around in the PGA SS. I'm scheduled to play tomorrow, weather permitting, so hope to have a review for y'all tomorrow night of initial results under actual playing conditions. In the meantime, I'm about to set up my SKLZ Accelerator Pro putting mat (a pretty good product, by the way) and hit a 100 or so putts just to get the feel of it.

codybwallace
05-06-2013, 04:15 PM

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?44044-TaylorMade-Daddy-Long-Legs-Putter-Forum-Review/page3 #35

Got home this morning to see that FedEx had dropped some joy on my doorstep while I was gone, so I thought I'd add a little to my initial thoughts after demoing it at the PGA Super Store. What a beauty the TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs is.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/kgv0622/IMG_2950_zpsadfd7ff3.jpg (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/kgv0622/media/IMG_2950_zpsadfd7ff3.jpg.html)

I had mentioned in my initial write up that the DLL is a fairly larger version of the Ghost Spider with a larger head and slightly heavier than my long-time gamer, the Odyssey 2-Ball. Here is a pic showing the difference.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/kgv0622/IMG_2946_zps58971879.jpg (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/kgv0622/media/IMG_2946_zps58971879.jpg.html)

Looking at them side by side, I don't think I'll have a difficult time adjusting from a size perspective; shape is another thing.

I also had some initial concerns about alignment, since I'm so used to just lining up the "three" balls and shooting. But, as you can see below, that shouldn't be a problem, especially since I use an alignment line on my ball. It can't get much easier than a simple straight line.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/kgv0622/IMG_2949_zps4fd42512.jpg (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/kgv0622/media/IMG_2949_zps4fd42512.jpg.html)

I'm really anxious to get this baby out on the course, especially since I had so much success with it fooling around in the PGA SS. I'm scheduled to play tomorrow, weather permitting, so hope to have a review for y'all tomorrow night of initial results under actual playing conditions. In the meantime, I'm about to set up my SKLZ Accelerator Pro putting mat (a pretty good product, by the way) and hit a 100 or so putts just to get the feel of it.

I really like that you have already given two great reviews, and have yet to step foot on the course with this baby.

I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the DLL after your first round.

IceyShanks
05-06-2013, 05:00 PM
The clear red plastic on the sole of the putter is very interesting.

Misfit
05-07-2013, 08:37 AM
The clear red plastic on the sole of the putter is very interesting.

It gives this putter a snappy plastic sound (in a good way). Once you see the ball start it's roll immediately after the putt it's struck, you can get used to it.

I love the sound and feel personally. It's so balanced and allows you to make a nice smooth stroke to put the ball on line. I look forward to my next rounds.

mikedean441
05-07-2013, 08:40 AM
just caught up on the thread, some solid initial thoughts by those that have received them so far, looking forward to more of the on course feedback and seeing how this works for everyone.

Ole Gray
05-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Probably won't get the chance to get over there before we leave for Orlando, but, I will have it with me at the outing. Maybe we can get a round together down there.

Great job on your initial thoughts and thanks for the pics! Left78 and I are playing Tuesday morning, come join us and see what this hot new putter can do in Monroe :golf:

War Eagle
05-07-2013, 02:07 PM
The TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs putter made it's way down to Sarasota yesterday afternoon. Snapped some initial pics and got a feel for this one in hand. Admittedly, I have rolled this one a few times in the Golf store over the past few weeks, as the Spider line has always been one of my favorites, as well as me being a fan of TaylorMade putters in general!

Some quick pics;

The design of the DLL gives us the similar look to the previous Spider putters that TM has put out, but with a slight redesign, some black/white color lines, and a slightly larger head. Looking at the design, it really gives me a feeling of a cross design between the TM Spiders of the past mixed together with the Odyssey Sabertooth type putters. It looks great at address.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj156/rpjohs/Snapbucket/C993183A-orig_zps1670abfe.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj156/rpjohs/Snapbucket/5C50FE47-orig_zps2125d52b.jpg

Still finding it's way on to their putters is the Pure Roll insert. Introduced a few years back, it instantly became a hit for fans of the insert putters, and offered a good roll on the putting surface that seemed to help many with speed control for both longer and shorter putts.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj156/rpjohs/Snapbucket/4B65181E-orig_zps9477dd3d.jpg

The bottom of the putter is where the design gets interesting. It's hard to miss the bright red accent of the bottom which is intriguing in and of itself, but also interesting to me are the weights that extend out on each part of the sole, and the larger weight found in the middle. The large Red sole plate is for more than just looks, it is actually a weight itself, a 16g Poly-carbonate plate. While the typical screws most are accustomed to on the Spider are no longer visible on the DLL, there are still two 17.5g Tungsten weights on each flange on the back of the putter. A bit different than in the past, as they are not removable or able to be changed, but the weighting on the back of the putter design is still there for those that are curious. With it's size, it really gives the entire head a nice balanced weight. The Daddy Long Legs is designed to have a heavier head weight to keep the putter face square throughout your stroke, and with these here on the sole, holding this putter and making a few practice strokes with it really gives me the sense of a stable putter head from start of my stroke flowing to my follow through.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj156/rpjohs/Snapbucket/73901EA3-orig_zps6f23e271.jpg

And of course, the grip. All of it. The Daddy Long Legs I have here is playing at 38", 2 inches longer than my typical setup. TaylorMade suggests to choke down roughly 3" on the grip, to have a bit of the shaft extending through your hands. This will provide a bit of backweighting, and coupled with the DLL head it should provide that stable putting stroke we all look for on the greens.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj156/rpjohs/Snapbucket/E4A6E5AC-orig_zps334df004.jpg

Will have this one in the bag for my next round. Having been a fan of the Spider line in the past, I cant wait to see how it treats me on the course!

mikedean441
05-07-2013, 02:14 PM
nice initial thoughts beags, will be interesting to hear four feedback with the longer putter, maybe compared to your limited run with the longer Ping too

War Eagle
05-07-2013, 02:23 PM
nice initial thoughts beags, will be interesting to hear four feedback with the longer putter, maybe compared to your limited run with the longer Ping too
Having the longer grip will be key. Trying to choke down on the longer Ping was nearly impossible due to the standard grip on it.

golfinFF
05-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Nice initial write up war! Did you play a mallet before?

War Eagle
05-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Nice initial write up war! Did you play a mallet before?
Most recent gamer was a SeeMore SB2. Prior to that there is a long list of Mallets. Including the Corza Ghost and Spider Monza Vicino.

#Cookie
05-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Great photos War, thanks for pointing out the Sabretooth similarity as I hadn't really noticed it but definitely see it now.

Loving the back weighting concept so looking forward to the thoughts.

Jjmorris
05-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Received mine yesterday. Will get pictures and my initial thoughts up tonight! This putter is a freakin beast!

golfinFF
05-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Most recent gamer was a SeeMore SB2. Prior to that there is a long list of Mallets. Including the Corza Ghost and Spider Monza Vicino.

Thanks, war

We got a bunch of rain tonight at work so I didn't get to the practice green. I did however do some carpet putting in the station at 25,35 and 45 ft. I was mainly working on distance control and ball position.

Distance Control

The distance control with DLL was quite impressive even on of center hits toe or heel. Heel hits seemed to carry more speed for me tonight and those misses passed my target. Toe hits just were off line and a few came up a little short but were still tap ins just like the heel misses.

Ball position

I played around with where I put the ball in my stance a little bit tonight normally I place the just in front over center about a half a ball to ball. On the longer puts I had better luck with the ball just inside my left foot. My theory on this is that I was striking the ball more flat to maybe just a little bit of an upswing causing the ball to get to a forward roll sooner. I will have to get some time outdoors to see if I have the same to similar results.

Sound

I putted with two Penta practice balls and a cheap Titleist. The Pentas had a soft duller sound when struck and the Titleist had a higher pitched almost clicky/crack sound to it.

Visually I'm still getting used to looking down at a mallet. I do like the looks of the large and wide head at address. The alignment slot as well as the all white ball width piece in the center makes lining upto your intended line very easy.

Faiz
05-08-2013, 10:19 AM
The more I look at this putter the more I like it.
Interesting how the concept is similar to the Tank but I have to say I prefer the look of this one purely due to the centre line.
I'll have to give it a go next time I'm in England.

Jjmorris
05-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Well I finally have a chance to get some initial thoughts down about the Taylormade Daddy Long Legs putter.

When we were asked for a length, the first thing I did was went to the SITE HERE (http://taylormadegolf.com/taylormade/daddy-long-legs/DW-JN983.html) to see what was available. Since I am comfortable with a 34"-35" putter (never been fit) I read this "Thus, if you normally play a 35” putter you should opt for the 38”; if you play a 33” putter should use the 35”; if you play a 34” putter you can experiment with both the 35 and 38” to find which you prefer", and decided to go with the 38" model. I really wanted to experience the full potential with counter balancing and figured that was the best option. There is no need to go into detail about the concept (counter-balancing) and technology since it has already been hashed in here, but from reading about it, I am pumped to dive in feet first!

The package came, I knew what was inside so I didn't waste any time. Here are some initial pictures:

Such a clean look.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/jjmorris9/83999041-8F6B-49E7-8D85-D55A7B5B7E34-17497-00000D6826B655DD_zps48bfa027.jpg
Love the see-thru red.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/jjmorris9/D0EF6B6A-E12D-432E-A1C3-E9DA2E3358A0-17497-00000D680D6E0C35_zpsd79aa7a3.jpg
Grip and Headcover tie everything in well.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/jjmorris9/158AB2EE-B7BF-4D62-BBC2-F70AD202ABB5-17497-00000D681F1E3DC9_zpsb69bd9d5.jpg

I brought it out to the range yesterday during lunch but had a work emergency come up I had to take care before I got a change to roll it, but the guys I met there had these thoughts which is basically the exact same initial thoughts I had so I will summarize them for ease of browsing:

Solid looking putter
Extremely heavy feel
Not long enough to use as a belly putter :D (I say this because myself and another buddy tried a belly practice putt with it)

So going forward, I have a few rounds planned before I take off for Orlando and I decided i am not going to initially be 100% focused on putts made (will still keep stats though), but I am going to be more interested in distance control. My goal for initial testing is to minimize 3 putts. I really hope the technology offered in the Daddy Long Legs and my push through this testing to become a more consistent putter will allow my putts per round to decrease and I will be able to find confidence when putting I have never experienced..

I need to shout out to :taylormade: and :thp: for allowing me the opportunity to test the Daddy Long Legs Putter!

War Eagle
05-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Nice thoughts Jj. Focusing on distance control will be a good way to start working with the DLL. We will have to compare notes in Orlando.

golfinFF
05-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Nice thoughts JJ, sorry work called you away from getting to get some time in with it.

Like you distance control is a big goal of mine with this putter initially. If I can get that down then I know I'll start dropping them in the cup.

Jjmorris
05-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys, I think I have been too focused on the cup in the past and am going to get away from that initially, at least on longer putts. Daddy Long Legs for everyone in Orlando!

IceyShanks
05-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Well I finally have a chance to get some initial thoughts down about the Taylormade Daddy Long Legs putter.

When we were asked for a length, the first thing I did was went to the SITE HERE (http://taylormadegolf.com/taylormade/daddy-long-legs/DW-JN983.html) to see what was available. Since I am comfortable with a 34"-35" putter (never been fit) I read this "Thus, if you normally play a 35” putter you should opt for the 38”; if you play a 33” putter should use the 35”; if you play a 34” putter you can experiment with both the 35 and 38” to find which you prefer", and decided to go with the 38" model. I really wanted to experience the full potential with counter balancing and figured that was the best option. There is no need to go into detail about the concept (counter-balancing) and technology since it has already been hashed in here, but from reading about it, I am pumped to dive in feet first!

The package came, I knew what was inside so I didn't waste any time. Here are some initial pictures:

Such a clean look.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/jjmorris9/83999041-8F6B-49E7-8D85-D55A7B5B7E34-17497-00000D6826B655DD_zps48bfa027.jpg
Love the see-thru red.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/jjmorris9/D0EF6B6A-E12D-432E-A1C3-E9DA2E3358A0-17497-00000D680D6E0C35_zpsd79aa7a3.jpg
Grip and Headcover tie everything in well.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/jjmorris9/158AB2EE-B7BF-4D62-BBC2-F70AD202ABB5-17497-00000D681F1E3DC9_zpsb69bd9d5.jpg

I brought it out to the range yesterday during lunch but had a work emergency come up I had to take care before I got a change to roll it, but the guys I met there had these thoughts which is basically the exact same initial thoughts I had so I will summarize them for ease of browsing:

Solid looking putter
Extremely heavy feel
Not long enough to use as a belly putter :D (I say this because myself and another buddy tried a belly practice putt with it)

So going forward, I have a few rounds planned before I take off for Orlando and I decided i am not going to initially be 100% focused on putts made (will still keep stats though), but I am going to be more interested in distance control. My goal for initial testing is to minimize 3 putts. I really hope the technology offered in the Daddy Long Legs and my push through this testing to become a more consistent putter will allow my putts per round to decrease and I will be able to find confidence when putting I have never experienced..

I need to shout out to :taylormade: and :thp: for allowing me the opportunity to test the Daddy Long Legs Putter!
Awesome start Jesse, I love the red accent photo!

Jank
05-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Great write ups, everyone! For the first time in a while, I am really excited about a putter. I am hoping to roll one of these around this weekend. I am really looking forward to hearing more results!

twoods
05-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Great reviews so far guys, I have a plethura of 38-40 inch putters and this one is really intriguing to me as well. I had a an opportunity to stroke a few at golfsmith with the 35 incher. I really liked the grip on this putter and was wondering if anyone knows if Taylormade will be selling just the grip by itself. I would love to try this grip on some of my other putters. I look forward to hearing more thoughts on this putter, I was really impressed by it with my short little session with it in the store.

Brianbigoats
05-08-2013, 03:56 PM
I took mine to the Range last night and spent a good amount of time on the practice green practicing lag puts to get the speed right i am still amazed at how soft the incert is coming from a milled face i have to hit it now i can't just tap it the other thing that i have been getting use to is the sound or lack their of. this is the quietest putter i have ever used

Misfit
05-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Great reviews so far guys, I have a plethura of 38-40 inch putters and this one is really intriguing to me as well. I had a an opportunity to stroke a few at golfsmith with the 35 incher. I really liked the grip on this putter and was wondering if anyone knows if Taylormade will be selling just the grip by itself. I would love to try this grip on some of my other putters. I look forward to hearing more thoughts on this putter, I was really impressed by it with my short little session with it in the store.

You could probably get one directly from TM. It looks like and feels like a Winn grip. If you can find out the size, GolfWorks probably sells the same one without the TM logos on it.

SARSagent6
05-08-2013, 04:20 PM
I traded my Odyssey Black Metal X and got the DLL, and I love it. Like a couple of players here, it took me about 9 holes to comfortable with it. Planning on having this for a long time. Great job Taylormade and the testers here at THP.

Using HTC EVO LTE

twoods
05-08-2013, 04:37 PM
You could probably get one directly from TM. It looks like and feels like a Winn grip. If you can find out the size, GolfWorks probably sells the same one without the TM logos on it.
Thanks, Misfit. This grip seems to be just a little shorter than the Winn grips and a little more rounded if that makes sense. To me it is a little different sizewise than the Winns. I could be wrong because I havn't done a direct comparison. May try to contact TM directly.

Jjmorris
05-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I went to the range today over lunch to get a feel for the Daddy Long Legs since I am playing 18 tomorrow. Since I wanted to save my first rolls with it for on the green rather than carpet, it was my first crack at it.

Make things easier to understand here is what I gathered:

The counter-balancing is DEFINITELY noticeable

I feel this is a good noticeable, but it is indifferent right now since I haven't had enough time with it

HUGE. Check out the picture below at address to see what I mean
Distance was pretty consistent between putts
Not a big fan of the insert. Can't really describe why, just not keen on the feel/sound.

I don't want to go into too much more since it was just on a practice green and I didn't have hours but the quick session I did get with it left me excited to get it out tomorrow.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/jjmorris9/CF68B529-4DE1-43DF-8AFB-E1E9E013975D-18362-00000E1F599EECDD_zps6a9f1772.jpg

#Cookie
05-08-2013, 05:07 PM
JJ: nice initial pics and thoughts from the practice session. I am really digging the looks of this and like what I am hearing about being able to feel the weight.

Looking forward to rolling this next week.

War Eagle
05-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Good stuff jj. I have league play tonight, and this will get it's first test under fire!

niteowl03
05-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Headed to play 18...Thoughts to come!!!

Nate
05-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Good stuff so far guys! Quick question, I don't know what putters you used before this mallet style putter, but usually there are 2 types of swings made with the putter - straight back straight through and/or a slightly open to close swing that happens with the shoulders (in/out). With this DLL mallet style putter, are you finding that your old putting stroke to work with this type of putter? I ask because a lot of people say that a mallet style putter is best used with a straight back straight through type swing. Thanks and look forward to hearing what you think your putting stroke looks like with the DLL!

golfinFF
05-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Nate, I played a plumbers necked blade before that was heel shafted. For me I haven't changed my stroke which is straight/straightish back and through. I have messed around a little with closing the face on the through stroke when making long putts, but no significant findings on results as of yet.

Now I am messing around with ball position since the offset on DLL isn't near what my old putter was. Also messing with ball position on those long puts(moving it forward).

I hope this answered your question.

War Eagle
05-08-2013, 08:45 PM
13 total putts in my 9 hole league tonight, 2 of them for birdie.

Will have a writeup tonight, but first thoughts on this one is that I am loving how stable it is and how well the balls hold their line.

Robman7
05-08-2013, 09:17 PM

Will have a writeup tonight, but first thoughts on this one is that I am loving how stable it is and how well the balls hold their line.

Nice for 9 holes

tucsondivots
05-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Tried one at Golfsmith today and agree it is HUGE. Strikes the putts very solid, but felt like I was putting with a shoebox.

v.man
05-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Great initial thoughts by everyone. Looks like we're getting the testing off like a rocket!

Good stuff so far guys! Quick question, I don't know what putters you used before this mallet style putter, but usually there are 2 types of swings made with the putter - straight back straight through and/or a slightly open to close swing that happens with the shoulders (in/out). With this DLL mallet style putter, are you finding that your old putting stroke to work with this type of putter? I ask because a lot of people say that a mallet style putter is best used with a straight back straight through type swing. Thanks and look forward to hearing what you think your putting stroke looks like with the DLL!

Nate, to me the DLL just seems to want to go straight back and straight through. It almost does it automatically. That is my normal stroke, so, I haven't had to adjust anything--it just seems to make the stroke easier for me.

I'd take those stats every time out! Way to go, War.

v.man
05-08-2013, 10:06 PM

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/fo...m-Review/page3 #35
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?44044-TaylorMade-Daddy-Long-Legs-Putter-Forum-Review/page3 #43

Got my first actual on course round in with the new TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs putter yesterday and will share my results and observations.

First, playing conditions were not ideal after four straight days of rain and the fact that the greens were aerated last week. The holes are still prominent and the greens still have too much sand on them for my liking. To be perfectly honest, my usual mindset on greens in this condition is very negative and I usually do not have a good day. But, today I tried really hard to focus only on the DLL and not the green conditions.

First, the stats:
6 One putts
12 Two putts
30 Total putts

Wow! That is under par putting for me. I’m usually happy if I’m 36 putts or less during a round. And, it doesn’t hurt one’s confidence to one-putt the first three greens. Being objective, you could credit that to being more focused than usual because of the conditions or the fact that I’m testing a new putter, or maybe this putter is the reason. After one round, I’m not yet making any judgments. I will say that I can’t wait to get back on the course again.

Set up/Looks – I have to say that the look of this putter is not something that is normally in my comfort zone. I was used to very conservative looking putters and even the 2-Ball was a big departure from that for me. This design reminds me of cars of the late 50’s with fins and taillights on them. I specifically requested this putter, though, during signups because it was really different that what I’m used to.

The DLL has a larger head than I’m used to and a radically different look. It is also heavier than I’m used to and that is very noticeable when you hold it. But, here is the surprise. When you set up to the putt, and grip the putter as recommended (choking up a few inches) the weight disappears. The balance of this putter makes it “seem” almost lighter than any putter that I have used.

Setting up and alignment, to me, seemed very easy using the line on the DLL and the line on my ball. I’ll repost a pic here to show what that looks like.

Stroke – The stroke with this putter seems to want to be straight back and straight through, and I’m astonished at how effortless it feels to make it. I can only attribute that to the balance of the putter due to the counter weighting in the grip.

Feel/Sound – The feel and the sound of the ball off the putter is very soft and muted. On the first couple of putts, I actually thought I had hit the ball too softly just because of that sensation, but really hadn’t. The ball seems to roll freely off the putter face and did pretty well yesterday despite the punched, bumpy greens. TaylorMade says that the Pure Roll Insert “promotes forward roll, accuracy and control”. I have seen nothing to refute that claim thus far.

Perhaps what impressed me most during this first round with the DLL was how balanced the putter felt in my hands. I felt in control. I can remember only one putt that I felt I actually missed my line (a pull).
The last observation I’ll make actually came from my long-time Member/Member partner, with whom I was playing this round, and who has seen me play countless times. “I’ve never seen you stroke the ball that smoothly before. Make sure you have that thing in the bag this weekend for the tournament.

More to come. Another round tomorrow.

War Eagle
05-08-2013, 10:13 PM
5/8/13 - Bent Tree County Club
9 Hole League Play - Daddy Long Legs Review

Took the DLL out for it's maiden voyage today for 9 hole league play. Outside of rolling it at the golf stores, I had not yet made a single stroke with this one. Got to the course in time to load the back up and head to the tee for our shotgun start.

Total Putts = 13

Breakdown (my group started on Hole #2)
Hole #2; 1 putt - 12 foot Par save.
Hole #3; 2 putt - 20 footer, downhill left to right break. Left it about 2 feet short. Made the bogey putt from 2 ft.
Hole #4; 1 putt - 10 foot right to left. Made the birdie!
Hole #5; 1 putt - 8 foot straight on, BARELY dropped it in the front of the cup. Barely enough on it to get it there, but dropped it in.
**At this point, I find that my misses are just a bit short, and so I decided to focus on getting my stroke and follow through a bit exaggerated in an effort to get the ball past the hole**
Hole #6; 2 putt - I am sitting at the very front of the green, to a back pin. Easily 50+ feet. I hit the ball about as hard as I could to get it to the uphill pin. Left it about 2 feet out to the right. Made the bogey putt.
Hole #7; 1 putt - 3 feet for biride. A knee trembler, as the pressure was on. Won closest to the pin, but it's wiped out if you dont make the birdie putt. Pressure packed with a tester of a downhill 3 foot putt. Right in the center of the cup.
Hole #8; 1 putt - Left my approach just off the edge of the green, chipped to about 5 feet. Made the Par putt, straight on.
Hole #9; 2 putt - Managed a GIR from a LONG way away (Hello 186 yard 6 iron), had about 25 feet for a birdie, left it about a foot outside of the cup, tap in par
Hole #1; 2 putt - Landed back of the green, had about 15 feet for a birdie try. Rolled it about 4 feet past the hole, dropped in the par save.

As I noted above, one thing I noticed was I was putting "too easy". With the balance and the weight, I found that I wasnt hitting my putts hard enough. I was on line, but my putts were coming up a bit short. So, in an effort to get the ball closer to the hole, I firmed up my stroke and made an effort to hit the putts harder than I was. It really seemed to help me with my distance control.

The DLL really seems to give me a square face at impact, as my putts were holding their lines so well throughout the entire 9 hole round. This was a huge help for me, especially on the shorter putts. My 3 foot birdie putt is one that I usually over think a bit, but today with the DLL I just exaggerated my putting stroke follow through and hit it center of the cup.

The weighting of the entire head really just seems to keep it square throughout the entire putting stroke. I didnt pull/push a single putt, all of them were dead straight on the line I wanted. That's huge.

The Pure Roll insert is as good as I remembered from my time with the Corza Ghost. A great feel at impact that offers a good roll without causing any hopping/skipping, even when I am amping up my stroke to get the ball rolling quick on a long putt.

Quite impressed with my first time out with the DLL, cant wait to see how it treats me for a full 18 hole round this weekend.

Rambler
05-08-2013, 11:25 PM
As I noted above, one thing I noticed was I was putting "too easy". With the balance and the weight, I found that I wasnt hitting my putts hard enough. I was on line, but my putts were coming up a bit short. So, in an effort to get the ball closer to the hole, I firmed up my stroke and made an effort to hit the putts harder than I was. It really seemed to help me with my distance control

Nice breakdown of your round with the DLL. I picked up the putter end of last week, and the primary miss is indeed short, for me. Your description of requiring a "firmed up" stroke is very accurate, IMO.

mikedean441
05-08-2013, 11:37 PM
5/8/13 - Bent Tree County Club
9 Hole League Play - Daddy Long Legs Review

Took the DLL out for it's maiden voyage today for 9 hole league play. Outside of rolling it at the golf stores, I had not yet made a single stroke with this one. Got to the course in time to load the back up and head to the tee for our shotgun start.

Total Putts = 13

Breakdown (my group started on Hole #2)
Hole #2; 1 putt - 12 foot Par save.
Hole #3; 2 putt - 20 footer, downhill left to right break. Left it about 2 feet short. Made the bogey putt from 2 ft.
Hole #4; 1 putt - 10 foot right to left. Made the birdie!
Hole #5; 1 putt - 8 foot straight on, BARELY dropped it in the front of the cup. Barely enough on it to get it there, but dropped it in.
**At this point, I find that my misses are just a bit short, and so I decided to focus on getting my stroke and follow through a bit exaggerated in an effort to get the ball past the hole**
Hole #6; 2 putt - I am sitting at the very front of the green, to a back pin. Easily 50+ feet. I hit the ball about as hard as I could to get it to the uphill pin. Left it about 2 feet out to the right. Made the bogey putt.
Hole #7; 1 putt - 3 feet for biride. A knee trembler, as the pressure was on. Won closest to the pin, but it's wiped out if you dont make the birdie putt. Pressure packed with a tester of a downhill 3 foot putt. Right in the center of the cup.
Hole #8; 1 putt - Left my approach just off the edge of the green, chipped to about 5 feet. Made the Par putt, straight on.
Hole #9; 2 putt - Managed a GIR from a LONG way away (Hello 186 yard 6 iron), had about 25 feet for a birdie, left it about a foot outside of the cup, tap in par
Hole #1; 2 putt - Landed back of the green, had about 15 feet for a birdie try. Rolled it about 4 feet past the hole, dropped in the par save.

As I noted above, one thing I noticed was I was putting "too easy". With the balance and the weight, I found that I wasnt hitting my putts hard enough. I was on line, but my putts were coming up a bit short. So, in an effort to get the ball closer to the hole, I firmed up my stroke and made an effort to hit the putts harder than I was. It really seemed to help me with my distance control.

The DLL really seems to give me a square face at impact, as my putts were holding their lines so well throughout the entire 9 hole round. This was a huge help for me, especially on the shorter putts. My 3 foot birdie putt is one that I usually over think a bit, but today with the DLL I just exaggerated my putting stroke follow through and hit it center of the cup.

The weighting of the entire head really just seems to keep it square throughout the entire putting stroke. I didnt pull/push a single putt, all of them were dead straight on the line I wanted. That's huge.

The Pure Roll insert is as good as I remembered from my time with the Corza Ghost. A great feel at impact that offers a good roll without causing any hopping/skipping, even when I am amping up my stroke to get the ball rolling quick on a long putt.

Quite impressed with my first time out with the DLL, cant wait to see how it treats me for a full 18 hole round this weekend.
13 putts first time out is crazy...well done beags. Can't wait to see how u roll this compared to the blade.

golfinFF
05-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Vman and war those are some good write ups! Glad to see everyone having some success early with this one.

War Eagle
05-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Vman and war those are some good write ups! Glad to see everyone having some success early with this one.
Thanks dude. I always seem to have early success with Putters my first few times out with them, so time will tell how this one continues to work for me. Focusing on my putting game plays a huge part in success with the flatstick, so I am hoping some quality time with the DLL leads me to success with it.

niteowl03
05-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Ok finally some time to sit down now that all the finals are over with!! I want to start by saying that Roberto Castro tied the Course Record today @ TPC Sawgrass playing with this putter...#tourproven!

I played 18 yesterday at a course I played a lot last year but they have a new grounds keeper who opted to aerate and sand all the odd numbered greens yesterday so the round was quite interesting. Since right after the TX Invitational this year my putting has been the pits. I have not had a round under 40 putts. Yesterday seemed to be to totally different round than I have seen though.
Total Putts: 34
2 Putts: 14
3 Putts: 1

Even with the poor green conditions I still managed to have my best putting round in about 2 months including a 15ft 1 putt for eagle. While on the practice green I started noticing that I was setting up too close to the ball and pushing everything right, after noticing this things seemed to make a great turn for the better. Every putt I seemed to hit was on line, but what I am seeing more than anything is the speed control. Speed has been my problem lately and this putter just seems so stable through the whole stroke that my distance is much better; to the point where all of my 2nd putts were inside 4 feet where normally im closer to 10ft. I am a firm advocate that speed is more important than line most of the time especially on lag putts. The weight on this is substantially more than my SeeMore SB1 and FGP Mallet but it is totally unnoticeable when making the stroke. I am enjoying the sound feedback from the face as its almost silent when struck well but has just a light clink when taken off the heel or toe. I have a round planned for tomorrow night and Monday morning so I should have some better feedback then. I plan to get some kind of green layout map monday so that I can give some specifics.

War Eagle
05-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Ok finally some time to sit down now that all the finals are over with!! I want to start by saying that Roberto Castro tied the Course Record today @ TPC Sawgrass playing with this putter...#tourproven!

I played 18 yesterday at a course I played a lot last year but they have a new grounds keeper who opted to aerate and sand all the odd numbered greens yesterday so the round was quite interesting. Since right after the TX Invitational this year my putting has been the pits. I have not had a round under 40 putts. Yesterday seemed to be to totally different round than I have seen though.

Even with the poor green conditions I still managed to have my best putting round in about 2 months including a 15ft 1 putt for eagle. While on the practice green I started noticing that I was setting up too close to the ball and pushing everything right, after noticing this things seemed to make a great turn for the better. Every putt I seemed to hit was on line, but what I am seeing more than anything is the speed control. Speed has been my problem lately and this putter just seems so stable through the whole stroke that my distance is much better; to the point where all of my 2nd putts were inside 4 feet where normally im closer to 10ft. I am a firm advocate that speed is more important than line most of the time especially on lag putts. The weight on this is substantially more than my SeeMore SB1 and FGP Mallet but it is totally unnoticeable when making the stroke. I am enjoying the sound feedback from the face as its almost silent when struck well but has just a light clink when taken off the heel or toe. I have a round planned for tomorrow night and Monday morning so I should have some better feedback then. I plan to get some kind of green layout map monday so that I can give some specifics.

Good stuff, dude. Great thoughts. Are you finding that you are putting a bit harder with the DLL than with other putters? I think with the heavier weight, that I take it for granted and want to baby the putt a bit too much.

Nate
05-09-2013, 04:07 PM

How are you managing with the longer putts? Are you getting them to the hole with the extra weight using the same stroke or having to hit them easier/harder than normal? Thanks for the input!

niteowl03
05-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Good stuff, dude. Great thoughts. Are you finding that you are putting a bit harder with the DLL than with other putters? I think with the heavier weight, that I take it for granted and want to baby the putt a bit too much.

I dont feel that I am putting harder just a smoother stroke with less tendency to decel in the forward stroke.

How are you managing with the longer putts? Are you getting them to the hole with the extra weight using the same stroke or having to hit them easier/harder than normal? Thanks for the input!

Long putts seem to be where I am noticing the most difference. Instead of being 15ft short or past I seem to be closer to 4ft or less. I feel like my stroke tends to be the same for all the putts, the only variance being the backswing. The 38" length for me seems to totally take my wrists out of play so its a pure shoulder rock.

Brianbigoats
05-10-2013, 02:45 AM
Did you guys see that Roberto Castro is using on of these today

niteowl03
05-10-2013, 03:00 AM
Did you guys see that Roberto Castro is using on of these today

Ya I put it in the first sentence of my review from yesterday!

Brianbigoats
05-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Ya I put it in the first sentence of my review from yesterday!
Sorry I was skimming the thread and did not total read your review did not mean step on your feet sorry

twoods
05-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Part of the romance of this putter for me is the 38 inch length. I always felt I could see the line a little better when I stood a little taller to the ball. The other attraction, to me, is that this putter seems to promote a straight back and thru stroke. Would you guys testing this putter say this is true for you as well. I have putted with blade putters in the past, where a slight arc is used, but this putter seems to be perfect for guys that like to go straight back and thru. At least that is what I thought when I tried it.

v.man
05-11-2013, 07:35 AM
I have been quiet in here for a couple of days because I'm in the midst of the first major tournament of our MGA season--the Spring Member/Member. Suffice to say here as I prepare to leave for the course is that I'm gaming the DLL in this tournament despite it only being the 3rd day out with it. I have that much confidence in the putter thus far. After Day 1, which was 9 holes of Chapman (alternate shot) and 9 of 2-man Scramble, we stand 2nd, and the putter has been holding up its end. Today is Better Ball of Partners so I'll be playing my own ball for all 18 and will be able to do a decent review tomorrow. Wish me luck!

JB
05-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Confidence is an incredible thing to have in a putter and it sounds like this one sets up well for you.

cpljohnst
05-11-2013, 07:40 AM
Good luck V.man! Nice to see the DLL has quickly earned your trust. Look forward to hearing how it performs for you in tournament pressure.

golfinFF
05-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Part of the romance of this putter for me is the 38 inch length. I always felt I could see the line a little better when I stood a little taller to the ball. The other attraction, to me, is that this putter seems to promote a straight back and thru stroke. Would you guys testing this putter say this is true for you as well. I have putted with blade putters in the past, where a slight arc is used, but this putter seems to be perfect for guys that like to go straight back and thru. At least that is what I thought when I tried it.

For me a straight back and through seems to work well. I have played with a slight arc but it seems to cause me to miss right( not enough practice to confirm 100%).

I have been quiet in here for a couple of days because I'm in the midst of the first major tournament of our MGA season--the Spring Member/Member. Suffice to say here as I prepare to leave for the course is that I'm gaming the DLL in this tournament despite it only being the 3rd day out with it. I have that much confidence in the putter thus far. After Day 1, which was 9 holes of Chapman (alternate shot) and 9 of 2-man Scramble, we stand 2nd, and the putter has been holding up its end. Today is Better Ball of Partners so I'll be playing my own ball for all 18 and will be able to do a decent review tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Now that's confidence good luck out there today!

Weather and schedule have not helped me out this week on getting out to the course or practice green.

I did hit the indoor putting surface at the range the other day but I wasn't feeling the range session or putting practice that day. My stroke was missing Wednesday and I felt awkward and couldn't get comfortable(same issue on range). Daddy did exactly whatever my stroke told it to do which does bring confidence to the greens. Short putts 3-7ft dropped almost every time even with my uncomfortable stroke.

The back weighting of this putter makes getting the ball rolling almost effortless on those short putts and distance control very easy on the long lag putts.

I am gonna get out this weekend to the practice green as long as the rain holds off.

TMAdidas
05-11-2013, 07:44 PM
I just got this month's Golf Magazine and was disappointed to see no DLL or Spider Blade in it. :angry:

War Eagle
05-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Had this one out on the course today, and really struggled with my speed. Granted the greens were aerated a few weeks back and they were a bit longer and slower today. Even though my speed was off a bit, my lines were good and my strokes were what I wanted.

Will have some full thoughts up on this one tomorrow!

Rambler
05-12-2013, 01:02 AM
I'm all-in with this putter. Third full round; one 3-putt (on a danged power lip-out), with four 1-putts, and a putt through the fringe for a make as well. I'm not timid with this putter, even on those tricky down-hill-slide-to-the-right putts. Over the last several seasons, I average almost exactly 36 putts per round. This season, my goal is to be at 33. If I can shave 3 putts off my average, that's a huge weight lifted from other areas of my game having to make up for it (of course, lower than 33 would be good, too). Today = 31 putts, and I believe I could have been at 29, realistically. Don't let this honeymoon end!

v.man
05-12-2013, 11:48 AM

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/fo...view/page3 #43
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?44044-TaylorMade-Daddy-Long-Legs-Putter-Forum-Review/page7 #93

TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs putter testing 5/11/13

Today’s review will be a hole-by-hole synopsis of how I putted in day 2 of our Spring Member/Member tournament. Format was Better Ball of Partners. Conditions: Greens still bumpy and sanded from last weeks aeration. I particular dislike early morning starts under these conditions because the greens are wet with dew and the ball picks up the sand as it rolls towards the hole.

To get this part out of the way quickly, we DID NOT WIN the tournament nor even our flight mainly because of my partner and my inability to extract our heads from our rectal orifices long enough to make decent golf shots.

My putting stats for the round:

5 One-putts
13 Two-putts
31 Total putts

Of note is that this was only my 4th round gaming the Daddy Long Legs.

Hole #1 – Nice approach shot left me 5 feet for birdie. No problem smooth stroke and a little left to righter into the back of the cup. Feeling good.

Hole #2 – Long par 5, missed green but chipped to 3 feet. OMG! Missed the 3-footer. Purely carelessness. Unfortunately, my partner had visited the water twice, so the bogey had to stand.

Hole #3 – 2-putted from 12 feet for par. Ball seemed to deflect at the last second and hit the lip. @#&*ing greens!

Hole #4 – Hit a poor approach shot, mediocre chip to 15 feet and 2-putted for bogey.

Holes #5, #6, and #7 were all routine 2-putts from 15 to 20 feet for pars.

Hole #8 – Par 3, only 128 yards. Tee shot buried under the lip. First shot was, of course, unsuccessful. Second (angry) shot to 15 feet by leaving a severe down-hill putt. Drained it for bogey. Partner made birdie; its all good!

Hole #9 – Wonderful approach shot to 5 feet, but lipped it out. GRRR!

Made the turn with 16 putts, but felt I was robbed on a few. Worse, my partner and I have about played ourselves out of the tournament with him (6 handicap) shooting 43 and me shooting 42. Not our finest rounds.

Hole #10 – A breath of life after I jar a pretty 15-footer for birdie. My partner and I try to get ourselves pumped up to make a charge.

Holes #11 and #12 – Routine 2-putts from 18 and 25 feet for pars.

Hole #13 – Fittingly, was very unlucky. With my partner in his pocket, I hit a gorgeous 7-iron to front pin tucked behind a trap. It was dead on the flag and I’m licking my chops. Ugh! Another one buried under the lip, this one so deep we had to brush sand away to even find it. I closed the clubface and hit down as hard as I could only to drive it further into the sand. Took an unplayable, hacked it out in anger, and then drained a 25 footer for double bogey. But, that pretty much ended our visions of rallying to make the playoffs.

Holes #14, and 16 thru 18 were all routine 2-putts for me. I did make a nice 12 foot 1-putt for par on 15.

To sum up, it was not a good tournament result for the team. But, I can’t say I was disappointed with my putting with the DLL – 31 putts when every one of them is under pressure during a tournament is very good for me. Some key thoughts for me are:

- After only 4 rounds with the putter, my confidence that I can hit my line consistently is as high as it has ever been with any putter.
- I’m loving the balance and feel of the putter.
- The size and “look” of the putter is still a little “different” for me, but does not seem to affect my performance at all.
- I need a little more time working on lagging very long putts.

Thanks for putting up with my diatribe. I’ll be more succinct next time.

War Eagle
05-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Had this one out on the course yesterday, and the greens were aerated a few weeks back so they were still a bit shaggy for us during the round. That caused for some slowness to be there, and while it was mildly frustrating at times, my lines were good and I felt like I was rolling the ball decently well, even though I came up short more often that I would care to admit.

32 total putts in the round, a bit higher than I would like, as my goal is typical 30 putts or 15 per 9 holes.

Speed; This is where I struggled yesterday. Like I said, the greens were a good bit slower than what is typical, but throughout the round it seemed I just couldnt get the ball to the hole. Since getting this one in hand, I seem to be having to make a bit stronger of a stroke on the ball in order to get my speed. I do believe I am taking the weight for advantage and expecting it to do all the work for me. As I work with this putter and my stroke, I believe that my speed control will really be spot on.

Alignment; The contrast of the design in the DLL really makes setup an easy thing to do. The black/white contrast of the outer frame and the "spider" frame really sets up nice at the ball, and just gives me an overwhelming sense of being lined up properly. One thing I noticed yesterday, was that with the weight of the putter, it just wants to sit in a natural, neutral position. Often times, I find myself a bit of a hoverer with the putter at setup, but with the DLL I am holding it flat on the ground while I am adjusting my stance and it's natural sit just seems perfectly square. I like that a lot, and can get used to having an easy alignment on the green. Simple, and it works.

Feel; I have long been a fan of the feel at impact of the Pure Roll inserts. Always just a smooth, firm feel. Here, paired with a heavier putter, it still gives me that firm feel at impact, but I find it overly muted at impact giving me an impression that it is almost soft. Many people associate feel with sound, and I am one of those. The muted sound just really makes me feel like I am barely making contact with the ball, and this has been something that really has me working on my stroke from start to finish, making it one smooth, fluid motion.

Length / Grip; One aspect that I have to remind myself to focus on is where I am gripping the club. I find myself more often than not, gripping the club too high on the grip, which leads me to an uncomfortable putting stance/setup. When I choke down on the grip, and allow the longer shaft to extend back like it is designed to do, the balance of the putter seems to really come in to play, and allow a very pendulum like stroke. More time spent with this one, and I have a feeling that the grip in the correct position will become second nature.

Overall thoughts after 1 week; It's larger than other putters I have played. It's a completely different design than other putter I have played. It's unconventional, and I like it. I feel that I have been putting rather well with the DLL, outside of a few that came up short on some shaggy greens. The black/white contrast in the design frames the ball well and the Pure Roll insert is still one of my favorite inserts on the market. The DLL will have it's work cut out for itself this week, as I take on 90 holes of golf from Thursday - Sunday! I have a feeling that the DLL and I will get to know each other quite well over the next week.

niteowl03
05-12-2013, 06:07 PM
War you might try to grab one of those red "heavy balls" and try some putting with that. It has really helped me with the speed on this putter. I find myself hitting about 10 putts with the heavy ball at the beginning of my putting practice before ever hitting a regular ball and it seems to my the speed with a regular ball automatic.

War Eagle
05-12-2013, 06:09 PM
War you might try to grab one of those red "heavy balls" and try some putting with that. It has really helped me with the speed on this putter. I find myself hitting about 10 putts with the heavy ball at the beginning of my putting practice before ever hitting a regular ball and it seems to my the speed with a regular ball automatic.
Thanks for the tip... Dont think I have ever seen the "heavy balls", will need to keep an eye out for them.

niteowl03
05-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Here is what I use:

http://www.eyelinegolf.com/collections/putting-aids/products/ball-of-steel-3-pack

golfinFF
05-13-2013, 01:09 AM
I got out to the practice green yesterday and today.

I started off with short 3-10ft putts. I was seeing almost ever putt drop, I did have a couple lip outs but was very pleased since last time out my stroke was off.

I moved out to 12-15 footers and was seeing at least 1/3 drop with from this distance and my misses were mainly tap ins.

I also worked on long lags 20-40+ footers and I must say this is where I'm the most impressed with distance control as I've always struggled here. I had a few I left short short because I decelerated before striking the ball. Getting the ball close from this distance seems to almost be effortless.

Feel and sound

Putts struck on the center of the face feel as though they were barely hit and the sound is dull.

Putts struck on the toe or heel provide more of a hard feel and a click/crack sound that is a bit louder.

Grip

The feel of the grip is softer than what I'm used to and bigger as well. The extra size is helping me keep my hands and wrists quieter during the stroke. The soft feel of the grip also keeps me from gripping the club too firmly.

I'm still using the body of the spider as my reference point to place the thumb of my left hand(top hand). So far this seems to be the best for me, as it allows a couple inches to stick up slowing the counter balance placed in the putter by TM to work as designed. I have tried higher and lower with my grip but left thumb on the spiders body seems to be best for me.

Looks

After only a couple times out with this putter I have gotten used too the much larger head than I've gamed in the past. I'm liking the way the ball is framed and the ease that I am seeing when setting the Daddy Long Legs up on my intended line.

Overall

I'm really impressed with this putter and how easily I have adjusted to it. My confidence in my ability to game the Daddy long legs is quite high at the moment hopefully I can get a round in this week before I play in a scramble on Saturday.

Jank
05-13-2013, 10:37 PM
OCD-type question here, but I am really pondering this putter, so I have to ask.

I currently game the ghost spider and it attracts wet grass blades like a magnet! Does this putter get dirty easily as well? I cannot stand putting with me being able to see any kind of dirt or grass on the putter at address. I don't know why, but it bugs me.

Also, the paint on the ghost series seems to chip somewhat easily. I know that it has been a short testing period so far, but does the paint job on the DLL seem to be pretty durable?

Thanks in advance!

niteowl03
05-13-2013, 10:41 PM
OCD-type question here, but I am really pondering this putter, so I have to ask.

I currently game the ghost spider and it attracts wet grass blades like a magnet! Does this putter get dirty easily as well? I cannot stand putting with me being able to see any kind of dirt or grass on the putter at address. I don't know why, but it bugs me.

Also, the paint on the ghost series seems to chip somewhat easily. I know that it has been a short testing period so far, but does the paint job on the DLL seem to be pretty durable?

Thanks in advance!

Jacob I dont seem to see it attracting grass but I havent play in super wet conditions yet either. The paint seems to be fine so far but you will get an upclose view @ Winstar...and if you didnt play backwards I would let you hit it some too!

War Eagle
05-13-2013, 10:46 PM
I played in some wet conditions a few weeks back, and I did not notice grass or any other debris getting on the putter.

Also of note, I dont think I have cleaned it once, and it is still spotless.

Ole Gray
05-13-2013, 10:48 PM
I played in some wet conditions a few weeks back, and I did not notice grass or any other debris getting on the putter.

Awesome job on your recent report and I look forward to checking this one out up close in a few days :thumb:. I would imagine the greens at Reunion will be running pretty fast so it will be a good test.

War Eagle
05-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Awesome job on your recent report and I look forward to checking this one out up close in a few days :thumb:. I would imagine the greens at Reunion will be running pretty fast so it will be a good test.
When playing slower greens this past weekend and leaving everything short, I really felt that I was hitting the putts that I needed too, but the greens were causing me fits. I think Reunion will give me a good, true roll this weekend.

Brianbigoats
05-13-2013, 11:51 PM

Same here

I did notice a bit of dirt got stuck in the groves on the face after i hit a shot from a fringe

codybwallace
05-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Guy I really appreciate all of this good input. Putting is by far the part of my game that needs improving. After hearing your initial thoughts on this putter, great weight distribution and ease of squaring the club face, I am really thinking of trying out this putter. Like always, I really appreciate you all taking to time to be so thorough on your reviews.

golfinFF
05-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Jank,

I haven't noticed grass or debri being an issue but all my time on greens has been dry. I haven't noticed any issues with paint either but the cover goes back on as soon as I'm done with it.

I have a round early sat morning where I should be able to give you more detail on the grass issue you speak of.

Cody,

Thank you, the testing has been fun, interesting and informative for me personally. With the testing I'm picking up things I've never paid attention to when putting on the course or in practice. I believe what I've learned will greatly improve my putting game.

War Eagle
05-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Guy I really appreciate all of this good input. Putting is by far the part of my game that needs improving. After hearing your initial thoughts on this putter, great weight distribution and ease of squaring the club face, I am really thinking of trying out this putter. Like always, I really appreciate you all taking to time to be so thorough on your reviews.
It is a completely, COMPLETELY different setup than the Sophia you are rolling now.

What are your struggles with your current gamer?

TMAdidas
05-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all this input guys. Once I have the $$$, I might have to get this and put off new irons until later in the year.

codybwallace
05-14-2013, 11:01 AM
It is a completely, COMPLETELY different setup than the Sophia you are rolling now.

What are your struggles with your current gamer?

Haha. It is completly different from the Sophia. Sorry I need to update that. I am rolling the Ghost Spider right now.

My biggest issue is a decel and a push/pull.

War Eagle
05-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Haha. It is completly different from the Sophia. Sorry I need to update that. I am rolling the Ghost Spider right now.

My biggest issue is a decel and a push/pull.
Ah, gotcha.

Well, what I have found with the DLL is that the push/pull issue for me is minimized quite a bit. The weight of the Daddy Long Legs keeps the face square for me during my stroke, which is something that I quite like as it takes one part of the equation of a putt out of it for me. Pick my line, work on my speed, and hit my putt.

codybwallace
05-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Ah, gotcha.

Well, what I have found with the DLL is that the push/pull issue for me is minimized quite a bit. The weight of the Daddy Long Legs keeps the face square for me during my stroke, which is something that I quite like as it takes one part of the equation of a putt out of it for me. Pick my line, work on my speed, and hit my putt.

I saw that you mentioned you were having a little trouble with speed, being a little short. I have just about got the speed figured out with my Spider, as my miss in the past with it has been more short than long. How do the inserts between the Spider and the DLL compare?

War Eagle
05-14-2013, 11:29 AM
I saw that you mentioned you were having a little trouble with speed, being a little short. I have just about got the speed figured out with my Spider, as my miss in the past with it has been more short than long. How do the inserts between the Spider and the DLL compare?
Ghost Spider and the DLL have the same Pure Roll insert.

codybwallace
05-14-2013, 11:34 AM

I was hoping it did. I just couldn't find a direct comparison or any information on if the PureRoll had changed any over the last couple of years. If I don't have to adjust to much speed difference, I can see the putter being a great asset to my bag almost immediately.

codybwallace
05-16-2013, 05:58 PM

Guess what got ordered yesterday?

golfinFF
05-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Guess what got ordered yesterday?

Ha ha nice work!

codybwallace
05-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Ha ha nice work!

I had to do it. This thing sounds perfect for me.

Odds are it with be in the FS fourum in about a week. Hahaha

golfinFF
05-16-2013, 07:01 PM
I had to do it. This thing sounds perfect for me.

Odds are it with be in the FS fourum in about a week. Hahaha

No I think with a little practice it will be good for you.

codybwallace
05-16-2013, 07:03 PM
No I think with a little practice it will be good for you.

Oh I think so too. I think it will be a great improvement.

TMAdidas
05-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Went to the shop to see this again today. I need to get some cash. Putting killed me tonight and I couldn't stop thinking about the DLL each missed putt.

niteowl03
05-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Ok I played on the 13th and shot a PB of 79, I would love to say it was all due to this putter, but I really was just firing on all cylinders!! I have played this course a few times recently and wasnt expecting the greens to be in near perfect condition so they were running faster than I was used to. My miss with this putter seems to be long and this just made it a bit worse but with my SeeMore SB1 I had been leaving everything short so at least being long putts have a chance to go in!

Here is a rundown.

1. 15ft first putt, 3ft past the hole, made the 2nd. I mishit this off the toe as I was too close to the ball.
2. 90ft first putt, 15ft short, 3ft past, made the 3rd. Burned the left edge on the 2nd.
3. 27ft first putt, 6ft past, made the 2nd.
4. 12ft first putt, tap in 2nd.
5. 12ft first putt, tap in 2nd.
6. 30ft first putt, tap in 2nd.
7. 36ft first putt, 12ft short on a poor read, made the 2nd
8. 30ft first putt, 6ft past, burned the right edge on the 2nd for tap in 3rd.
9. 6ft first putt, tap in 2nd misread the green
10. I holed out from 64yds for eagle so no putts here!!
11. 36ft first putt, 9ft past, burned the right edge on the 2nd for tap in 3rd.
12. I drove the green from 346 out, 9ft from the hole, burned the left edge for a tap in birdie.
13. 30ft first putt, 2ft past, easy 2nd.
14. 18ft first putt, holed!
15. 6ft first putt holed!
16. 3 ft first putt holed!
17. 15ft first putt holed!
18. 70ft first putt, 9ft past, 6ft past on 2nd, holed 3rd. Very tricky green.

Stats:
1 Putt: 4
2 Putt: 8
3 Putt: 5

I really dont like that 3 putt number but like I said I wasnt expecting the quick greens. I absolutely love the stability of this putter and honestly expect it to be the change in my putting game. The face is so easy to keep the head square. Im playing at least 9 tonight so ill be back with more.

jimmies
05-20-2013, 09:32 AM
I bought one yesterday....and went on the putting green. As others have said it is super stable - it is also leaving putts short, so this is going to take some adjustment.

I guess that we can put a heavier weight in the base to replace the 2.5g that is there?

Also the sound of the impact when going for longer putts isn't the best - I'm wondering if we could put something in the void in the base to deaden the plasticy echo type sound?? Cotton Wool maybe?

went out this morning and had 14 holes. Was 1 over after 4 (due to going in the water on 4). What I had noticed during my practice with it yesterday and early on today was that it leaves things short if I used my normal 'feel' for length. once I got this dialed in a bit more I went through the last 10 holes in 7 under my h/c to finish 6 under for 14 holes. Also finishing birdy,birdy with two 20 or so footers.

The thing with this putter is that it is very easy to get it going on your intended line (you still need a good read!). Once I get used to the firmness needed this putter will be excellent. The best thing about it is that I did not miss a single putt within 5ft and no 3 putts. This confidence then feeds into the rest of your game.

I've not been 6 under h/c since I was a 28capper !

War Eagle
05-20-2013, 09:40 AM
So many thoughts to get up on this putter from the past 4 days of non-stop golf. Jjmorris and I tee'd it up on Thursday afternoon and had a good chance to talk about our thoughts on this one a good bit.

jimmies
05-20-2013, 10:04 AM
I keep reading that this putter is supposed to be the legal answer (if there is a ban) for those guys who currently belly or broomhandle......Now I have never used either but if it is anything like the DLL then it certainly makes putting easier

Kobey
05-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Great reviews guys. I keep reading about stability. I'm wondering if this means what I think it does? My problem is that with my current blade, I have a hard time getting a smooth backstroke. It just feels so light that the head moves all over the place instead of going back the way I want it to. I just can't get a steady stroke with it. This results in my alignment being off at contact and I'm missing tons of short putts that should almost be gimmes, like 3 and 5 footers.

Do you think the heavier mallet head of the DDL would help with this?

jimmies
05-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Great reviews guys. I keep reading about stability. I'm wondering if this means what I think it does? My problem is that with my current blade, I have a hard time getting a smooth backstroke. It just feels so light that the head moves all over the place instead of going back the way I want it to. I just can't get a steady stroke with it. This results in my alignment being off at contact and I'm missing tons of short putts that should almost be gimmes, like 3 and 5 footers.

Do you think the heavier mallet head of the DDL would help with this?

The DLL actually feels light in hand.....but it is very easy to swing it on a stable path/arc. The weight in the base is changeable so I may see if I can up the weight alittle as ATM I'm leaving things on the short side. I'm sure I can adjust to this though with some practice

With regards 3-5 footers - After one round and 1h practice I have found the DLL is almost automatic. I didn't miss one today. I felt very confident. As with lots of average golfers (me..as a 16h/c) the 4ft putt can be harder than a 10ft sometimes....but the hole looked massive with the DLL, every shortish putt went in the centre of the cup.

golfinFF
05-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Kobey I think the although the head feels light when in hand due to the the back weighting design of the club it is very stable. I have found that I don't see the offline issues during the back stroke like I would occasionally get with my old blade.

Jank, I got sometime on a wet putting green Saturday morning. The green was still wet from the morning dew plus some sprinkles we had as well, and the green still had some sand on it from aeration. I noticed the wet sand really stuck to the insert, bottom and anywhere else that happened to touch sand. The sand and dirt also got into many of the little crevices on the putter face around the insert as well as around the plastic plate on the bottom. It's not a big deal but will take some time to clean out all the crevices and you will want to towel it off before you put the head cover back on it.

War I look forward to your thoughts after 4 fun filled golf days.

So I got a little time in with the DLL this weekend, unfortunately I didn't get a round in due to too much going on.

Sat morning I was an alternate for a scramble and didn't end up playing :( I spent some time on the practice green on long putts and struggled with speed, initially blowing 5 ft past the hole or through the breaks on every first putt, second or third putts were either in or short kick-ins. When I moved in to 5-6 footers putts were dropping or just lipping out because they were carrying a bit too much speed. Some of the speed issue could have been the wet greens combined with the sand on the greens and balls. I wasn't wiping the balls off in between putts.

I left the course and went to the range and after my two buckets of balls I went inside to the indoor green. I was struggling with my stroke initially, I figured it out and I was too hunched over and standing too close to the ball. I practiced mainly 12-20 footers and was seeing better success than that morning with my speed control. I still had a couple I blew by the hole, but most were under 3 foot from the hole and I made quite a few which is pretty good for me since the green is hard to read breaks on(yes the indoor green has breaks built in).

Hopefully I can hit the range at work at least once this week and use their two putting greens. As long as weather co-operates I will get at least one round in this week as well.

codybwallace
05-20-2013, 08:30 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/21/9enevesa.jpg

Time for a little testing. Hopefully a one putt or two.

Jank
05-21-2013, 12:11 AM
I was able to roll the 35" at golfsmith the other day. I really enjoyed it, but hopefully I can find a LH 38" to roll soon. I really liked the feel of the putter on the in-store greens it was just hard to choke down that much on the 35".

Are there any cons to this putter so far that many people are noticing? I've seen that pace takes a while to get used to as it seemed that many were leaving putts short initially.

golfinFF
05-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Jank I'm not seeing any downsides or negatives with this putter. It will take time to adjust to but this is true with any putter switch. Hopefully you can come across a LH 38 soon to roll.

Pevans
05-21-2013, 07:33 PM
I was intrigued by the DLL from the get go and reading this thread helped me pull the trigger on a purchase today for a very good price under MSRP can't wait to get the DLL and post my thoughts

Bull$hitter
05-22-2013, 02:33 AM
Rolled the 35" at Golfsmith and couldn't resist... have a 38" on the way as I really want to experience the full benefits of the counter balancing. As other have said, 15 - 20 footers on the indoor practice green seem almost automatic.

niteowl03
05-22-2013, 02:47 AM
I was intrigued by the DLL from the get go and reading this thread helped me pull the trigger on a purchase today for a very good price under MSRP can't wait to get the DLL and post my thoughts

Rolled the 35" at Golfsmith and couldn't resist... have a 38" on the way as I really want to experience the full benefits of the counter balancing. As other have said, 15 - 20 footers on the indoor practice green seem almost automatic.

You guys have made great purchases and I cant wait to hear your thoughts. The speed takes a little adjustment if you haved used this insert before but once the adjustment is made putting is effortless.

codybwallace
05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Ok guys. I really hope that this thread doesn't jinx me, but I had my first experience with my new DLL (38") yesterday. I am not going to post any photos, because there have already been some really great ones of this club. Let me start off by telling you I am a horrible putter. I putt well over 30 putts in a round of golf, and I very seldom make putts outside of five feet. It is just a blunt truth. My problem area has always been my line and my, for lack of better words, straight back/forward. I have never practiced as much as I should due to discouragement. Guys I am really bad.

The Club:
I have recently putted with a Yes! Sophia (blade). I had the worst time with lining up putts and following the correct swing path. I recently moved to a Ghost Spider, as this seemed to help me with my line, and I did see an improvement in putting.

The new DLL has some similar characteristics of the Spider, and I like all of the similarities. I much prefer the solid straight line on the DLL. The Spider lines were nice, but a little much for me. I love that the ball is white, the face is black and the sight line is white and surrounded by black. This really frames the ball and putt up for me. I feel that this will be a great asset to lining up my putts.

The DLL is obviously longer than my Spider (35"). I have zero experience with these longer putters, as this is the first I have ever hit. I have read all of the technical stuff about the longer putters, the MOI and the counter balancing. No one can give you that information better that TaylorMade, so I will not be spitting out all of the specs. I will tell you about my thoughts of all of this "stuff" that makes up this putter. The putter is long, but does not seem heavy. The putter is perfectly balanced for me. People have stated that the putter almost feels like putting on a rail (Straight Back/Forward), and I will agree with them. I am not going to tell you that I made 90% of the putts that I putted yesterday, but I will tell you that my putt consistency increased substantially. I have never been one to be able to reproduce a putt. I typically practice with three balls while putting, and these balls may not be in a 10' circle after putting. Yesterday the circle was 5'. Guys that are second putts of less the 5'. For me that is awesome, and brings me to my next topic. This thing is great with closer putts. I gained so much confidence in my "2nd" putt or my close putts. Again, I will not say that I made every putt, but we were closer to that 90% range within 8'. I really contribute this gained success, consistency and confidence in the counter balancing. The putting stroke itself almost felt effortless.

With a little much overdue practice and my new found confidence, I cannot wait to see what this putter has in store for my game. I will have it in play this weekend, and could not be happier. Everyone here has given such great information already, but please let me know if you have any questions about this putter. I will be glad to help.

cgstunts
05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Ive been curious since I joined. How are the members selected who will test products? I know I haven't been around long enough to be part of the action but I plan on sticking around so it'd be cool to know how it works.

TexasHacker34
05-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Ive been curious since I joined. How are the members selected who will test products? I know I haven't been around long enough to be part of the action but I plan on sticking around so it'd be cool to know how it works.

Its all about activity. THP opens testing to everyone, and if you stay active eventually your name will be called!

cgstunts
05-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Its all about activity. THP opens testing to everyone, and if you stay active eventually your name will be called!

Thats awesome now I just need to not feel weird posting up since I'm new. And sorry to steer the thread off course a little. Back to the DADDY LONG LEGS :drinks:

golfinFF
05-23-2013, 02:53 PM
I've been out to the practice green twice this week Monday and last night. I held off writing up my experience on Monday hoping it was a fluke.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case. I'm struggling with speed control on putts 10ft and in, I'm simply giving these too much pace and blowing by the hole and through any break. I saw the same thing happen on two different courses putting greens and three different greens total. I think I finally got it down last night toward the end of my practice session.

Long putts I am still seeing awesome results leaving the ball close or draining them. Although I've spent a ton of time on this part of my putting game.

I need to work on the short putts more and long putts less. As I really hope I can get the shorties down since my lag putting is going so well with the DLL.

KellyBo
05-23-2013, 03:12 PM
I have a putter that I love that is just like that since we moved to a new course with bent greens. I had to switch putters because it was just too hot on the shorter putts. I am testing the Spider Blade and do not see that as a problem at all. I hope you can get it to work out for you soon!

I've been out to the practice green twice this week Monday and last night. I held off writing up my experience on Monday hoping it was a fluke.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case. I'm struggling with speed control on putts 10ft and in, I'm simply giving these too much pace and blowing by the hole and through any break. I saw the same thing happen on two different courses putting greens and three different greens total. I think I finally got it down last night toward the end of my practice session.

Long putts I am still seeing awesome results leaving the ball close or draining them. Although I've spent a ton of time on this part of my putting game.

I need to work on the short putts more and long putts less. As I really hope I can get the shorties down since my lag putting is going so well with the DLL.

Jjmorris
05-23-2013, 03:18 PM
I will be throwing some thoughts up in here about my outing golf and DLL expericen soon but have to say I am really diggin it overall.

I also drained my first ever eagle thanks to the DLL.

ATLGolfer
05-23-2013, 03:22 PM
I will be throwing some thoughts up in here about my outing golf and DLL expericen soon but have to say I am really diggin it overall.

I also drained my first ever eagle thanks to the DLL.

Glad that you implemented a "cool down" period before posting your thoughts from the Outing. :act-up:

I'm not sure if a competition round is really the best way of getting used to a new putter. You three-jacked the first three or four holes, right?

War Eagle
05-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Glad that you implemented a "cool down" period before posting your thoughts from the Outing. :act-up:

I'm not sure if a competition round is really the best way of getting used to a new putter. You three-jacked the first three or four holes, right?
He was rolling it well with my on Thursday.

Jjmorris
05-23-2013, 03:25 PM

First 3 I did. At that point in time, it was not my favorite putter :D. But than I had 2 1-putt for birdies in 4 holes so we made up.

Jjmorris
05-23-2013, 03:26 PM

Another kind of up and down round, but definitely felt I rolled it well looking at the entire weekend as a hole. You were money with yours as well.

KellyBo
05-23-2013, 03:33 PM
First 3 I did. At that point in time, it was not my favorite putter :D. But than I had 2 1-putt for birdies in 4 holes so we made up.

We both had the same start that day. Those greens were lightning fast and were hard to get used to. Once we got in a groove, we were rolling them well and both making birdies. Congrats on the eagle!

golfinFF
05-23-2013, 03:35 PM
I have a putter that I love that is just like that since we moved to a new course with bent greens. I had to switch putters because it was just too hot on the shorter putts. I am testing the Spider Blade and do not see that as a problem at all. I hope you can get it to work out for you soon!

I hope so too KB it was frustrating to say the least the last two times out with it. I shortened my back stroke to only a couple inches and that helped a little.

Gonna try n get out tonight for a round which looks like it could be a soft wet round depending on course chosen

Jjmorris
05-23-2013, 03:42 PM
We both had the same start that day. Those greens were lightning fast and were hard to get used to. Once we got in a groove, we were rolling them well and both making birdies. Congrats on the eagle!

I didn't realize that but our putting tendencies were almost identical Saturday. Backweighting for the win!

ATLGolfer
05-23-2013, 03:43 PM

He got it going a little bit towards the afternoon on Saturday (the morning round, not the Nicklaus course in the afternoon -- but that wasn't the putter's fault). The real issue with the DLL that morning was that Jesse had several putts that were 40-50 feet or more with some severe slope. Those are tough with any putter, but especially tough with a putter that you're not used to.

Overall, I thought the DLL performed pretty well for Jesse when I saw him. [insert snarky comment about not winning the Outing Championship here.]

Jjmorris
05-23-2013, 03:45 PM
He got it going a little bit towards the afternoon on Saturday (the morning round, not the Nicklaus course in the afternoon -- but that wasn't the putter's fault). The real issue with the DLL that morning was that Jesse had several putts that were 40-50 feet or more with some severe slope. Those are tough with any putter, but especially tough with a putter that you're not used to.

Overall, I thought the DLL performed pretty well for Jesse when I saw him. [I wish I would have played better so we could have won!]

Yeah man, Palmer got the best of me on a few of those putts. Nicklaus just kept kicking me and kicking, while I was down and already out.

golfinFF
05-24-2013, 12:15 AM
I got out for 18 today and had 43 putts :sick: 9-three jacks, 7-two putts and 2-one putts. The greens were in good shape and rolling well. I had great success with lag putts and was utterly horrendous from 2-8ft. I missed almost every put the first time when I was 2-8ft. I seem to have absolutely have zero distance/speed control when I am close to the cup.

I am not sure if its the MOI, insert or the weight of the DLL but I am struggling to get the speed down on short putts. DLL just seems to be so hotttt off the face for me.

I can't seem to make a short enough back stroke to get the short putts to not run past the hole.

Jjmorris
05-24-2013, 12:23 AM
That is interesting FF. I didn't notice issues controlling my speed with my DLL, it was more not judging how much speed. Hopefully that round was just an outlier.

If it helps, I had a round last year with 46 putts; it can happen.

War Eagle
05-24-2013, 12:32 AM
GolfinFF, jj and I spoke about this when we played last week. The biggest thing I have struggled with here is being lazy with my putts and expecting the weight if the putter to do the work. I have found that I have to give it a little more of a stronger stroke to make sure I don't leave it short.

Think that could be the issue you are having.

golfinFF
05-24-2013, 12:32 AM
That is interesting FF. I didn't notice issues controlling my speed with my DLL, it was more not judging how much speed. Hopefully that round was just an outlier.

If it helps, I had a round last year with 46 putts; it can happen.

I seem to do great on long putts with speed, the short one I put too much pace on over and over again. This has been the case as well with my last two times on the practice greens.

I really need to get this speed issue under control.

Canadan
05-24-2013, 01:20 AM
I seem to do great on long putts with speed, the short one I put too much pace on over and over again. This has been the case as well with my last two times on the practice greens.

I really need to get this speed issue under control.

Are you letting the pendulum do all the work or are you getting your wrists involved?

I am kind of surprised that on a heavier putter, distance would be a big issue. Soften those hands brother!

golfinFF
05-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Are you letting the pendulum do all the work or are you getting your wrists involved?

I am kind of surprised that on a heavier putter, distance would be a big issue. Soften those hands brother!

I feel like I am all pendulum. no wrist at all, growing pains for sure with the big change.

Canadan
05-24-2013, 01:29 AM
I'd be very curious to see that stroke on film, if you testers are up for it..

Maybe five balls with your gamer, and then five balls with the DLL to see if there are noticeable stroke changes due to the weighting etc..

golfinFF
05-24-2013, 01:37 AM
I'll see if I can make this happen this weekend.

niteowl03
05-24-2013, 02:14 AM
I'll see if I can make this happen this weekend.

Me as well

TheWoo
05-24-2013, 08:14 AM
I'm struggling with speed control on putts 10ft and in, I'm simply giving these too much pace and blowing by the hole and through any break. I saw the same thing happen on two different courses putting greens and three different greens total. I think I finally got it down last night toward the end of my practice session.

Golf is such a weird game. I'm struggling with the exact opposite since getting the DLL. I'm putting better than ever inside 10-12 feet. But get me outside 20 and I become very inconsistent with speeds.

Somewhat related - I had a four-putt the other day for the first time in, oh, years. To be fair I had about 60 feet, over a ridge and had to putt through fairway, not just fringe, to play enough break. DLL didn't give it enough juice and I left it on top of the ridge in an impossible spot.

Otherwise, though, my distance putting seems to be improving and my medium-to-short putts are very improved over before. If I can become a little more consistent over the long ones, I see no way to take this out if my bag.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

golfinFF
05-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Woo its interesting you and me are struggling in opposite area of putting with Daddy Long Legs.

What putter were you using before getting DLL?

Did you struggle with long putts before?

KellyBo
05-24-2013, 10:08 AM
What type greens are you guys playing? I would think that would make a huge difference in green speed. We went from bermuda to bent greens and I had to switch putters.

golfinFF
05-24-2013, 10:33 AM
KB, I believe they are bent grass but will have to double check to be certain.

codybwallace
05-24-2013, 11:07 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/24/y8u7emyh.jpg

Anyone else having the paint chip problem around the insert?

Jjmorris
05-24-2013, 11:14 AM
I am not but I have been pretty meticulous with keeping it on the headcover and whatnot so far.

Rambler
05-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Well, this putter won't solve every problem, but my putting is definitely much better since putting it in play. Had a very bad putting round last Sunday (after another solid-for-me 30 putt round on Saturday), but I also had a bad overall round, on Sunday, with ball-striking, scrambling, etc. I chalked that round up to "just one of those days". Went out last night and played the equivalent of around 30 holes (played a couple of balls on many holes), and putted well. For me, huge improvement in 2 particular areas: lag putting and alignment/confidence within 6 feet.

As was pointed-out earlier in the thread, some of us have found that we have to be deliberate in delivering the head to the ball in a more "firm" fashion, to avoid coming up short on longer putts. Add that to the better alignment/confidence from 6 feet and in, and I feel good about my chances for a 2 putt from 30 feet in. I have not made more birdie putts with this putter, but I have made many more par putts (including those for par saves). I also have been closer to sinking more birdie putts, as I am much less tentative to give-it-a-go.

I think I should have it bent just a touch flatter - might have that done this weekend.

Rambler
05-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Yes. I noticed this on each of the putters in the shop, when I was trying them out as well. I have noticed it starting to happen on mine, now, too. I'm not too bothered by it, but I do wonder about the make-up of the paint/coating. I don't play on very sandy greens, and my head cover is on unless I am using the putter. Wonder if a black sharpie would do the trick for fill-in?

codybwallace
05-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Yes. I noticed this on each of the putters in the shop, when I was trying them out as well. I have noticed it starting to happen on mine, now, too. I'm not too bothered by it, but I do wonder about the make-up of the paint/coating. I don't play on very sandy greens, and my head cover is on unless I am using the putter. Wonder if a black sharpie would do the trick for fill-in?

I shot TM an email. I will let everyone know what they have to say. It isn't a big deal at all, but it is something I don't feel should happen after a couple of rounds putting.

golfinFF
05-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Cody I have not noticed that but will check it out when I get back to the house and my clubs.

Brianbigoats
05-24-2013, 01:42 PM

yep same thing is happening on mine i wonder is it is caused by the insert flexing

Pevans
05-24-2013, 08:13 PM
initial thoughts with the DLL after my time out with it I noticed that like others when you hit the sweet spot it feels like air and when you miss it on toe or heel it still rolls good but you definitely get a different feeling in the feedback the one thing I took away from today is that even if I didn't hole the 1st putt I always had a 2nd putt of less than 4 feet the toll was always consistent as long as I put a good stroke on it which almost effortless with the DLL it doesn't want to do any twisting a couple my playing partners tried DLL on a couple of putts and they couldn't believe how stable their stroke was one of them actually went it right after the round and ordered a DLL I do want to pose a question to DLL testers do you know if its possible to get a heavier weight other than the standard 2.5 it comes with? The one bad thing I will say about is not even about the putter itself its the headcover I am not really fan of the velcro closure but I can live with that however I don't understand why the inside of the headcover is white which will show dirt over a period of time has anyone had the same complaint about the headcover?

TheWoo
05-25-2013, 12:38 AM
Woo its interesting you and me are struggling in opposite area of putting with Daddy Long Legs.

What putter were you using before getting DLL?

Did you struggle with long putts before?

I was using a Ping Scottsdale Anser2. Had better feel on longer putts, but a more difficult time getting putts on line.

Lagged close by my HTC One

TheWoo
05-25-2013, 12:41 AM

Definitely have seen some of this. And I've never left the headcover off. I noticed it from the first round I played. Not a big deal to me, but definitely there.

v.man
05-25-2013, 01:02 AM

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/fo...m-Review/page7 #93
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?44044-TaylorMade-Daddy-Long-Legs-Putter-Forum-Review/page7&highlight=daddy+long+legs #100

TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs putter testing 5/16-5/19; 5/23

Last weekend I attended the THP Demo Day and Golf Outing in Orlando. I had originally decided NOT to post my experiences there with the Daddy Long Legs because it was not pretty. But, after some further thought, I really should share because there are a few pearls to be learned from my pain.

First, I should make it clear that I normally play on Bent greens, rarely on Bermuda, and have never putted very well on the latter. My long weekend began with a pre-outing round on Arnie's Bay Hill course with 3 other THP'ers--Cpljohnst, ATLGolfer and DoggDaddy. We had a really fun day, despite my putting woes. I actually started out on Hole #1 by draining a 12 footer for par. But, as the day wore on things turned a little sour. Bay Hills greens are not only Bermuda, they are very tricky. The down hillers were treacherously fast and the uphillers were painfully slow. Throw in some side hillers and some grain...well, you get the picture. I can't say that I had a horrible day putting; I was probably in the mid to high 30s. But, essentially I lost confidence in my ability to read and in my stroke. I became very defensive in my putting.

This defensiveness carried over to the Saturday competitive round at the THP Outing and my frustration just kept rising. Again, my total putts were in the high 30's. Perhaps it was a hangover from the Villa Crawl Saturday night, but, for the Sunday round I was in no mood for a repeat performance. I had thought about how defensive I had been on the greens and remembered reading something in an earlier War Eagle post about leaving putts short because of not being deliberate enough in his stroke. I decided to just start trusting the stroke and going for putts. I had a much better day putting and it spilled over to the rest of my game as I had my best scoring day of the week.

I know all that I've said in this review has little to do with the DLL and I lot to do with the guy holding it. But, I'm still convinced that if you have confidence in your stroke this putter will shine. I'm pretty sure that it would have much worse without the DLL; never once did I feel like problems were the fault of the putter.

Daddy Long Legs Putter Testing 5/23

Back on the home course and Bent greens with a clearer head and more in my comfort zone for sure. I worked a little more on being more deliberate in my stroke and it seemed to pay off.

Stats: 5 One-putts
1 Three-putt
12 two-putts

Shot a tidy 82. Happy with that. The nasty 3-putt was from about 50 feet, so wasn't too concerned with that. Only one of the 1-putts was from inside 6 feet. I had several more near misses and really felt in control. The putter felt great in my hands, speed was good, line was good, all was good.

Misfit
05-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Same here with paint chips.

Any one else find it scary on short down hill breakers? That is my only worry with this putter. I just hit it hard and hope. LOL!

Lefty78
05-25-2013, 10:05 AM

Yes with my Spider S (same paint job) and it is always in the cover when not putting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

thedue
05-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Some pretty interesting reading here so far guys, thanks for bringing all the info so far. I am a little confuse on what kind of feel everyone here is seeing in general. Would you guys classify this as somewhat "Soft" or "Firm" compared to your previous putters?

Misfit
05-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Some pretty interesting reading here so far guys, thanks for bringing all the info so far. I am a little confuse on what kind of feel everyone here is seeing in general. Would you guys classify this as somewhat "Soft" or "Firm" compared to your previous putters?

Soft feel. Previous putters were Cleveland classic, ping anser milled, yes Sara, rife Aruba.

It was softer than all of them. In a really good way though. Very predictable roll out.

thedue
05-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Soft feel. Previous putters were Cleveland classic, ping anser milled, yes Sara, rife Aruba.

It was softer than all of them. In a really good way though. Very predictable roll out.

Thanks, that's how it sounded initially, but then some talk of firmness, guessing on off center strikes. My initial thoughts with the Spider blade was a bit firmer than the SeeMore Si3, but can't confirm that untill later today on the course.

I really like the alignment set up of the DLL and can't help but think this putter could help a lot with lag putting as well as better alignment on those tricky short putts.

golfinFF
05-25-2013, 11:24 AM

On center strikes it is very soft, on just off center it's still soft but you know you missed center, toe and heel hits definitely have a distinct sound and feel. Crisper on the toe and dull thud-ish on the heel for me.

Zenger
05-25-2013, 11:28 AM
This putter is TM answer to tank ? Same premise ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

niteowl03
05-25-2013, 11:34 AM

Yes its he same premise. Counterweight ing and counter balancing to be the anchor-less solution.

golfinFF
05-25-2013, 11:48 AM

I would think so from what little I know about the Tank.

I think it's definitely their answer to the anchored putter ban. Well at least for the time being, I imagine there will be some different offering by the time 2016 rolls around.

Kobey
05-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Has anyone compared this with the Ghost Spider? I rolled them both in the store yesterday and I was more accurate with the Ghost Spider, but it could have been a fluke. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with either of them.

codybwallace
05-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Guys I just had my first full round with this putter and I am hooked. Again, I am not going to tell you that you can't miss with this putter, but I am hooked on it.

Today was one, if not the best, days of putting I have had in the last couple of years. This putter just radiates confidence for me. I have not been putting well for the last year, so the only thing to instill this confidence is this new putter. It just makes my stroke feel so natural. I know that the putter isn't making the putts, but it sure is helping. The counterbalancing of this putter is perfect for my flaws. I did not have many problems with speed and distance. I am really glad to have this putter in the bag.

War Eagle
05-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Guys I just had my first full round with this putter and I am hooked. Again, I am not going to tell you that you can't miss with this putter, but I am hooked on it.

Today was one, if not the best, days of putting I have had in the last couple of years. This putter just radiates confidence for me. I have not been putting well for the last year, so the only thing to instill this confidence is this new putter. It just makes my stroke feel so natural. I know that the putter isn't making the putts, but it sure is helping. The counterbalancing of this putter is perfect for my flaws. I did not have many problems with speed and distance. I am really glad to have this putter in the bag.

Do you think the counterbalance is helping you keep this face more square at impact? Any issue with coming up short?

codybwallace
05-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Has anyone compared this with the Ghost Spider? I rolled them both in the store yesterday and I was more accurate with the Ghost Spider, but it could have been a fluke. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with either of them.

I moved from the Yes! Sophia to the Ghost Spider several months ago. This week I made the change from the Spider to the DDL. I was looking for a putter that would help me line up my putt and help me keep the putter on the intended path. The move from the Sophia to the Spider helped with my line and the move to the DLL from the Spider improved my line even more and has tremendously helped my stroke.

I feel that someone that does not have an issue with keeping the putter on the intended stroke will not benefit from this putter as much. You may already have a pretty good putting stroke, therefore the counterbalancing and additional putter length may be more if a henderance than a help.

codybwallace
05-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Do you think the counterbalance is helping you keep this face more square at impact? Any issue with coming up short?

No doubt in my mind that the counterbalance is helping keep the head square. It makes my putting strong feel very strong and I can tell that I am actually putting the way a person is intended to putt.

I am not having trouble with distance like some others are. I think thinks because I have been putting with the Spider for the last couple if months. When I changed from my Sophia to the Spider I had some distance problems, but I have not had any additional distance problems changing I from the Spider to the DLL.

War Eagle
05-25-2013, 10:47 PM
No doubt in my mind that the counterbalance is helping keep the head square. It makes my putting strong feel very strong and I can tell that I am actually putting the way a person is intended to putt.

I am not having trouble with distance like some others are. I think thinks because I have been putting with the Spider for the last couple if months. When I changed from my Sophia to the Spider I had some distance problems, but I have not had any additional distance problems changing I from the Spider to the DLL.

Good stuff. I think my biggest problem was that I wanted to weight to do the work for me, once I went back to my normal stroke and forced ,yield to putt through the ball, my distance control was back to what it should be.

golfinFF
05-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Kobey, I have not compared the two and only rolled the spider once or maybe twice.

Cody, glad to see your having so much confidence with DLL and its working so well for you!

codybwallace
05-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Good stuff. I think my biggest problem was that I wanted to weight to do the work for me, once I went back to my normal stroke and forced ,yield to putt through the ball, my distance control was back to what it should be.

I don't feel as if the putter is quite heavy enough to make ME feel like the putter will do the work for me, but I could definitely see how someone could have that problem. I think that maybe is what people wanting to put additional/heavier weight in the bottom of the putter is trying to achieve.

TheWoo
05-25-2013, 11:28 PM

I have been putting very well the last couple times - distance control has really improved. More practice, improving greens, and getting more comfortable with the DLL has really helped.

A very decent 28 putts today.

codybwallace
05-25-2013, 11:52 PM
I have been putting very well the last couple times - distance control has really improved. More practice, improving greens, and getting more comfortable with the DLL has really helped.

A very decent 28 putts today.

That is awesome. I am glad you are turning the corner.

TheWoo
05-26-2013, 01:24 AM
That is awesome. I am glad you are turning the corner.

It's just too good from inside 15 to not do everything possible to make it work outside 30!

v.man
05-26-2013, 11:45 PM

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/fo...addy+long+legs #100
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?44044-TaylorMade-Daddy-Long-Legs-Putter-Forum-Review/page12 #179

Had another good outing with the Daddy Long Legs. First the stats:

(6) 1-putts
(10) 2-putts
(2) 3-putts
(32) Total putts

The two 3-putts were from distance--30-40 feet. The one difficulty I'm having with the DLL is my lag putts outside of 20 feet. I think some others have mentioned they are better on the shorter and medium distances. To be fair, I have not spent any time working on my lag putting. I'm sure with a few practice sessions this will come around. The putter is just too well balanced for this to be a continuing problem.

Three of the 1-putts were for birdie, which was good. Two were to save par, and one was actually to save a double bogie. All were inside 10 feet.

Of the 2-putts, I counted 3 that hit the lip and one that hung on the lip. All were around the hole and comfortable tap ins. So, despite the 32 putts, I still felt good about my putting round. With the exception of the two lag putts that I left woefully short and one 15 footer that I just hurried, I was very pleased with how I was rolling ball with the DLL.

One caution I would mention is that it is easy to get caught up focusing on the putter and not your stroke. When I do that I often do not hit the putt deliberately enough and usually come up short. I get better results from being a little more aggressive with my stroke, even on fast greens.

I have picked up a small chip on the white paint on the top edge of the face of the DLL. I keep the putter cover on until I putt. So, as others have noted, the DLL finish might be a little bit prone to chipping rather easily. I plan to get some touch up paint to keep it looking good. As long as I keep putting well with it, a little chip here or there can be handled.

VGSTYLE
05-27-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm a newbie who has been stalking this thread for some time and after a recent PGA Superstore visit decided to give the DLL a go. Love the putter but not so much the grip. Been previously using a Fatso (which I see is an option on TM website in supposedly at 130g variety???) Anyway, haven't come across much talk on the grip. I know it serves in the counterbalancing but find it hard to believe everyone loves this stock grip. So has anyone changed or altered the grip or shaft and what were the results? Thanks in advance for any help.

golfinFF
05-27-2013, 09:52 AM
VG, glad to see you join THP and the DLL thread.

As for the stock grip, I'm not one that has a specific grip preference. I actually like the feel of the stock grip as its soft on the outside yet is firm enough that I don't over grip it.

I don't have any inclination to change the grip out in the future either. I know some people prefer certain grips or certain grip sizes.

codybwallace
05-27-2013, 09:55 AM
VG, glad to see you join THP and the DLL thread.

As for the stock grip, I'm not one that has a specific grip preference. I actually like the feel of the stock grip as its soft on the outside yet is firm enough that I don't over grip it.

I don't have any inclination to change the grip out in the future either. I know some people prefer certain grips or certain grip sizes.

I am good with the stock grip, but I have always loved a SuperStroke. I am not sure that I would mess with this stock grip. I only used the SS to make me putt better, but this putter is doing that without a SS on it.

v.man
05-27-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm a newbie who has been stalking this thread for some time and after a recent PGA Superstore visit decided to give the DLL a go. Love the putter but not so much the grip. Been previously using a Fatso (which I see is an option on TM website in supposedly at 130g variety???) Anyway, haven't come across much talk on the grip. I know it serves in the counterbalancing but find it hard to believe everyone loves this stock grip. So has anyone changed or altered the grip or shaft and what were the results? Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm very happy with the stock grip. But, if the Fatso is an option on their website, I suspect that they have a version that achieves their counter balancing objective. Otherwise it would be ..er...counter productive.

War Eagle
05-27-2013, 02:39 PM
So, with having this one in the bag for a few weeks and having it in play for many rounds, I have some expanded thoughts I wanted to put up.

I have had the DLL in play on courses with lightning fast greens and courses with shaggy, slow greens. Overall, what I find to be the most consistent with the DLL is my lag putting and speed control.

When looking down at the DLL, it offers a familiar look to those who are familiar with the Spider line. Similar in design to those from years past, but with a few new flares and twists. The black/white color scheme goes far beyond providing a good look for the DLL, it provides a great alignment system and an aide that makes you nearly set up square to your target every time.

The weighting/backweighting of the DLL is such an interesting concept to me. So often we hear people talk about working on their putting stroke to make it more of a pendulum-like stroke. With gaming this putter at 38", the backweighting matched with the heavier head give me that smooth and steady stroke. It seems to make my stroke almost effortless at times, and leaves me to focus only on my line and speed. I have struggled with speed at times, mainly because I want to think that with a heavier head on the putter, that the putt will be made for me. When I concentrate on getting the head of the putter through with a good follow-through, my putts are nearly perfect with speed.

Gripping a longer putter- This is something that I worked on quite a bit. With the DLL playing at 38", my first instinct was to let my hands fall to their natural position and grip the putter at the length. Over time, I found that I have pulled my grip up a bit, and at the same time have extended my elbows out to allow myself to have a good shoulder "rock" with my putter stroke. This has allowed me to get that smooth stroke that I need to help my putts start out on my intended line. I still focus on keeping enough of the butt end of the grip extended through my hands, as it provides me with a nice feeling of stability during my stroke.

When the testing began, my struggle was with longer putts. Again, I attribute that to the heavier weight and me not putting a full stroke on the putt. Over time, I have worked on exaggerating my follow through on longer putts, and this has helped me greatly. While my putting stats have not improved dramatically with this putter, what I have found is that my misses are smaller and I am leaving longer putts inside 2-3 feet, and my misses on shorter putts are by mere inches. I think with some continued work on my speed as well as taking the time to read putts from both sides and pay more attention to break, I could definitely lower my strokes on the green.

Will have this one in the bag again this wednesday, along with the Spider Blade for some more head to head comparison.

golfinFF
05-27-2013, 02:57 PM
War what are you using as a reference point on the grip on where to place your hands? Or are you not using anything?

I've been using the spiders body for the thumb on my left(top) hand.

TheWoo
05-27-2013, 03:08 PM
War what are you using as a reference point on the grip on where to place your hands? Or are you not using anything?

Not War, but I'm using my ring finger of my right hand (top - I putt cross-handed) even with the body of the spider. As opposed to War, I've found my grip more comfortable further down than up.

The spider logo certainly comes in handy for grip reference.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

War Eagle
05-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Im right handed, and have my left hand just at the start of the body of the spider. My right hand grips over top of the spider.

golfinFF
05-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks woo and war! I was curious as too how everyone was gripping it and how far down.

Woo it sounds like we are gripping down about the same.

War sounds like your grip might be a little higher than mine.

Brianbigoats
05-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Had 33 putts yesterday including a 18 ft for eagle
I think i could have done better but there was a junior tournament at the course so the front nine was running normal speed but the back had been slowed down for the kids

golfinFF
05-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Nice eagle putt!

I'll be hitting the practice green tomorrow and playing in a scramble on Thursday. Tomorrow will be spent on 12ft and in putts as that's my biggest struggle right now. I figured at least an hr or so putting and then some time chipping tomorrow should help me dial in my putting to at least acceptable levels.

Oregon Jack
05-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Had 33 putts yesterday including a 18 ft for eagle
I think i could have done better but there was a junior tournament at the course so the front nine was running normal speed but the back had been slowed down for the kids

yeahh! nice!

really considering this putter.. rolled in reallllyyyy well at golf galaxy the other day.. i just don't know if it's as sick as Mr. Cameron..

v.man
05-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Nice eagle putt!

I'll be hitting the practice green tomorrow and playing in a scramble on Thursday. Tomorrow will be spent on 12ft and in putts as that's my biggest struggle right now. I figured at least an hr or so putting and then some time chipping tomorrow should help me dial in my putting to at least acceptable levels.

It's surprising to me that you're having trouble from 12 and in because that's where the DLL shines for me. I'm getting a lot on one putts from that range and usually if I miss it's because of a bad read. I'm putting the ball where I want it to go. My weakness has been the long lags (40-50 feet), but I haven't practiced those at all yet. With a little work, perhaps we'll both eliminate our weak points.

TheWoo
05-28-2013, 01:07 AM
It's surprising to me that you're having trouble from 12 and in because that's where the DLL shines for me. I'm getting a lot on one putts from that range and usually if I miss it's because of a bad read. I'm putting the ball where I want it to go. My weakness has been the long lags (40-50 feet), but I haven't practiced those at all yet. With a little work, perhaps we'll both eliminate our weak points.

I'm the same way you are, though I have found my comfort level is actually lower inside four feet than from four to 15. Especially with delicate, breaking 3 footers, I'm struggling some. I find I have a hard time hitting these softly while getting them online. I think it's because I likely compensated with some "handsiness" with different putters, and that's actually hard to do with the DLL.

codybwallace
05-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Just and update, as I played yesterday.

Rolled the ball very well. I may still be in the honeymoon stage with this putter, but I love it. I did not have many one putts yesterday, but I was not mad about the two putts. I did not have a single three putt, but then again I have only had one since buying this putter.

I will say this about the putter, the ball goes where you tell it to go. You may say "Well of course it does", but what I mean is the putter is pretty automatic (strokewise). It is so easy to keep the putter on the intended swing path. This putter really amplifies how bad of a putt reader I am. I hit every single line, but one, yesterday, and most missed putts were from a bad line/read. "Most" brings me to my next finding. I found myself leaving a few putts short yesterday. This is in no way the putters fault, and I have been a huge advocate of similar speeds between the DLL and the Spider I have been playing. I was just having an off day. I will brag on myself for a second...I was playing really good with my irons and approaches yesterday, so I was closest to the flag, so I putted last, so I had to watch all of these other hacks blow their ball past the hole, so I in turn came up short.

The part of the face around the insert is getting a little worse with each outing. I still have not heard anything back from TM on my concern. I have added photos of the face of my Spider and my DLL. The Spider probably has had thousands of putts on it and the DLL is only working with a little over a hundred.

Golf is so mental. In the past I have hated the green and putting. With this new putter, I can't wait to get to the green, and I have found myself getting there quicker. I am not going to say that this putter has made my drives longer and my irons straighter, but this putter has given me a certain confidence that has transfered over to the rest of my game.

#DLLFTW

War Eagle
05-28-2013, 11:06 AM
What do you think is causing the issue for the longer lag putts?

Jjmorris
05-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Amidst the crazy amount of rain we got this weekend and being a holiday, I was able to sneak out to the range Saturday before we got dumped on. I only took the DLL and my gamer I was using before DLL testing (Nike Method Concept). This will be my only review that involves any sort of comparison since the Nike will not sniff the bag until testing is over (if it even does!).

Even though the Nike is considered a "mallet" style putter, I was surprised at how different it is from the DLL. Aside from the obvious looks, size, and shape differences, the feel is also very different. I truly believe the back weighting technology TaylorMade has integrated into the Daddy Long Legs putter (and those that have similar technology) is beneficial to MY game. It just works.

Few things I wanted to get a solid comparison for: short putts (0-5'), mid/long range putts (5'-25') and lag putts (30'+). The range is not always the best indication of how good a putter is for me since I tend to not think about it as much and usually see better results than when on the course. Still a good indication of apples-to-apples between another putter for comparative results.

Short putts: This was the one category I really didn't notice a difference. It could have been the flatter practice green or the putting multiple times from a similar location, but both putters performed well and I couldn't definitively say one was better than the other. One thing I noticed with my stroke in general on these short putts; I tend to have better results if I keep the stroke short and the putter low to the ground.

Mid/long range putts: Here is where I started to really feel the DLL step up in the performance category. I wasn't holing a ton from this distance (and wasn't expecting to) but I started to build a repeatable stroke. I can't say the same as with the Nike. What I mean is after hitting the same putt 4 or 5 times in a row, I really could feel the stroke (pendulum maybe is a better term?) from start to finish and instantly knew if my putt was long/short. If this is something I can take to the course, I may just be able to gain that confidence putting I never had.

Lag putts: I don't have a whole lot to add to this yet as I didn't see enough results to have a conclusive observation on what I saw other than I could feel the stroke (similar to what I saw in mid range putts) BETTER with the DLL than with the Nike. lag putting was the one area I wanted to focus on for this testing and I still need to put more work into it before I can really start to get an idea on improvement and consistency.

Overall, I am having a very positive testing experience with the DLL and would like to quickly thank THP and Taylormade again, because I probably wouldn't have given this putter a chance if it wasn't for being a tester.

Mward
05-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Don't be hesitant to compare this putter to others Jesse, comparisons between competition helps gives you and us some pros and cons to it.

Solid writeup though, it seems the DLL's pretty good in that mid range putt distance for you so far!

Jjmorris
05-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks dude, it was pretty much money compared to what I usually see. The back weighting helps SO much with making a repeatable stroke. Don't tell the USGA, I don't want it banned.

golfinFF
05-28-2013, 01:15 PM
V.man and Jesse great write ups. Jesse I agree that we need not speak of the back weighting.
:-D

I went to the course this morning and concentrated on the putts from 12' and in. The wind was blowing pretty hard 15-20 across the elevated and wide open practice greens. I did lag a few but that was just hole to hole. I used three balls all morning and never putted more than on ball from the same spot. I worked my way around each hole from varying distance each time around. For example I would have a ten, six and three foot putt each time.

The first green is fairly flat and just has minor breaks in it. I putted really well here I missed a couple of the longer putts but just barely. I left the green more confident with DLL than I have been in awhile.

Green two has way more breaks and slope in it than the first green. I putted really well here as well and my misses were generally thinking the putt would have more break in than it did. Once I got the grain figured out my putts were much better. This green has some good double breakers and down hill sliders and I managed those really well making or just burning the edges on many of those.

Overall I am very pleased with today's putting and have some much needed confidence that I need going into a scramble on Thursday.

The biggest thing I re-learned today was with DLL I have to play the ball forward in my stance, just behind my front foot.

War Eagle
05-28-2013, 02:16 PM
V.man and Jesse great write ups. Jesse I agree that we need not speak of the back weighting.
:-D

I went to the course this morning and concentrated on the putts from 12' and in. The wind was blowing pretty hard 15-20 across the elevated and wide open practice greens. I did lag a few but that was just hole to hole. I used three balls all morning and never putted more than on ball from the same spot. I worked my way around each hole from varying distance each time around. For example I would have a ten, six and three foot putt each time.

The first green is fairly flat and just has minor breaks in it. I putted really well here I missed a couple of the longer putts but just barely. I left the green more confident with DLL than I have been in awhile.

Green two has way more breaks and slope in it than the first green. I putted really well here as well and my misses were generally thinking the putt would have more break in than it did. Once I got the grain figured out my putts were much better. This green has some good double breakers and down hill sliders and I managed those really well making or just burning the edges on many of those.

Overall I am very pleased with today's putting and have some much needed confidence that I need going into a scramble on Thursday.

The biggest thing I re-learned today was with DLL I have to play the ball forward in my stance, just behind my front foot.

Interesting setup, any forward press with that?

golfinFF
05-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Interesting setup, any forward press with that?

It is for sure War, but it seems to be what works best for me. No forward press, I set DLL down behind the ball step up ball just inside left(front foot) take my grip, rock my shoulders to bring the club and then rock through. My wrists are completely still and locked into position with no break down through or past the ball.

I use the distance I bring the club back along with speed through the ball and follow through distance to get my pace. I am not a fan of taking the club back far on long putts so for me the speed picked up on the down swing created by my turn of the shoulders creates the pace.

I would venture to say I don't ever bring the club back more than 9-12in even on a 30ft lag. My follow through will definitely be longer on those long lag putts and at times will end up just below parallel on a really long lag and uphill.

I'll see if I can get the wife to go with me one day this weekend and video me putting or I will see if my brother will do it when we play Thursday.

Brianbigoats
05-28-2013, 04:57 PM
yeahh! nice!

really considering this putter.. rolled in reallllyyyy well at golf galaxy the other day.. i just don't know if it's as sick as Mr. Cameron..

Not as pretty as a Cameron but the prefromace from me is better

Pevans
05-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Great updates everyone I want to pose a question to you all. I am thinking about putting my DLL head to head with a belly White Hot XG Sabertooth, but have it cut down to the same length to compare the stability only. I won't test for feel as the inserts are completely different.I chose the Sabertooth belly because the head weights (DLL@395 Sabertooth@400) are similar so all I would have to do is after getting the shaft cut down is place 130 gram grip to act as the counter balance. I guess the reason I want to try this is because I know guys love the counter balance idea that TM has with DLL but they don't like the look and/or feel of the DLL. Do you think this would work as a good comparison?

TripleBogieTim
05-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Some good thoughts in here on this putter....I like the counter balance idea

Jjmorris
05-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Great updates everyone I want to pose a question to you all. I am thinking about putting my DLL head to head with a belly White Hot XG Sabertooth, but have it cut down to the same length to compare the stability only. I won't test for feel as the inserts are completely different.I chose the Sabertooth belly because the head weights (DLL@395 Sabertooth@400) are similar so all I would have to do is after getting the shaft cut down is place 130 gram grip to act as the counter balance. I guess the reason I want to try this is because I know guys love the counter balance idea that TM has with DLL but they don't like the look and/or feel of the DLL. Do you think this would work as a good comparison?

I don't see why not. Callaway has the same technology with the tank right now and other companies have done similar. This concept is not new and has been around for awhile. Let us know how it turns out if you decide to carry out your experiment.

War Eagle
05-28-2013, 05:15 PM
I figure as long as the length/weight are similar, then yes, it could provide you with a good comparison.

Are you not wanting to game the DLL any longer, but are looking for something that would be similar?

niteowl03
05-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Well 2 rounds this weekend.
5/26/13 - Pecan Valley Hills Course: 6:30am
33 Putts
1 Putt: 6
2 Putt: 9
3 Putt: 3

All the 3 putts were on the first 3 holes as the greens were really wet and I was figuring out the speed. I havent played this early in a few years and it is definitely different! Very pleased with the putting today

5/27/13 - Pecan Valley River Course: 6:30am
32 Putts
1 Putt: 5
2 Putt: 12
3 Putt: 1

Again the 3 putt was on the first hole. I am totally in love with this putter. Inside 10 feet is basically automatic, worst case is maximum 1ft return putt. Ive always been told that I read greens well and this putter has just made that so much more magnified. I truly believe that by the end of June Ill be consistently below 30 putts with the rate my game is heading now. The stability of this putter combined with the SPi concepts ive been working on are a true game changer for me. Its as simple as: Place left thumb on spider body, grip putter, choose line, sole putter, choose speed, execute putt. Yes it really is that easy!! I can not thank Taylormade and THP for the chance to test this putter! I have a round tomorrow and then 36 at Winstar with a bunch of THPers, and Im sure Nate and I will do a little head to head with the Tank.

Nate
05-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Well 2 rounds this weekend.
5/26/13 - Pecan Valley Hills Course: 6:30am
33 Putts
1 Putt: 6
2 Putt: 9
3 Putt: 3

All the 3 putts were on the first 3 holes as the greens were really wet and I was figuring out the speed. I havent played this early in a few years and it is definitely different! Very pleased with the putting today

5/27/13 - Pecan Valley River Course: 6:30am
32 Putts
1 Putt: 5
2 Putt: 12
3 Putt: 1

Again the 3 putt was on the first hole. I am totally in love with this putter. Inside 10 feet is basically automatic, worst case is maximum 1ft return putt. Ive always been told that I read greens well and this putter has just made that so much more magnified. I truly believe that by the end of June Ill be consistently below 30 putts with the rate my game is heading now. The stability of this putter combined with the SPi concepts ive been working on are a true game changer for me. Its as simple as: Place left thumb on spider body, grip putter, choose line, sole putter, choose speed, execute putt. Yes it really is that easy!! I can not thank Taylormade and THP for the chance to test this putter! I have a round tomorrow and then 36 at Winstar with a bunch of THPers, and Im sure Nate and I will do a little head to head with the Tank.
Tank vs Long Legs!

Jjmorris
05-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Sounds like you are rollin it pretty solid Aaron. To be honest with you, I would kill for those putting numbers right now. I really hope by the end of testing I will be recording 30-32 putt rounds on the reg'.

niteowl03
05-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Sounds like you are rollin it pretty solid Aaron. To be honest with you, I would kill for those putting numbers right now. I really hope by the end of testing I will be recording 30-32 putt rounds on the reg'.

I really just need to spend a bit more time on the practice greens before the round, but the 6:30 tee times didnt leave alot of time. To be honest I think most of it is the SPi method combined with the putter being able to put a consistent stroke on the ball. Choose your line and rock the shoulders. It sounds easy but it really takes all the thoughts out of it. I have spent alot of time focusing on the speed because if you think about it if the line is right, but speed is wrong you could easily have a 10+ footer for your second putt, but if the line is wrong but speed it right you will usually only have a short putt coming back.

Pevans
05-28-2013, 07:10 PM
I figure as long as the length/weight are similar, then yes, it could provide you with a good comparison.

Are you not wanting to game the DLL any longer, but are looking for something that would be similar? I am loving my DLL, but I want to see if you have any putter no matter head shape or style it could be turned into a counterbalance putter.

golfinFF
05-28-2013, 07:25 PM
I am loving my DLL, but I want to see if you have any putter no matter head shape or style it could be turned into a counterbalance putter.

That's a pretty interesting thought and would be interesting to see how it turns out.

v.man
05-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Pevans, I'm not sure how that would work out. The reason I say that is I have had some experience with cutting down a belly White Hot 2-Ball putter. I bought one used that was a little long for me and my assistant pro cut it down to the proper length for me. Well, it really destroyed the balance and I couldn't get the dang thing back and through on a straight line. I took it to the PGA SS and talked to them about it and they told me that is was balanced for its original length. After some trial and error with lead tape on the bottom, they finally got me "fitted" for the thing and it was much better. I never did take well to the belly though and eventually went back to the short putter. I can't say that is what will happen in your "experiment", but, I thought I'd share my experience.

v.man
05-28-2013, 07:28 PM
What do you think is causing the issue for the longer lag putts?

War, I think it was just that I hadn't had many opportunities because the first few rounds I was inside 20 feet most of the time. I didn't spend any time on the practice green on long lag putts either. I'm getting better though because I'm working on it now.

TMAdidas
05-28-2013, 07:40 PM

I've heard of this happening a lot with the white TM putters.

Jeff Spicoli
05-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the reviews everyone. The DLL is one I've been pondering hard and will more than likely be my next major golf purchase. I love the stability it provides. I've only used it indoors at a couple places, but it seems very easy to hit it exactly where you are aiming.

codybwallace
05-28-2013, 07:54 PM
I've heard of this happening a lot with the white TM putters.

I put up a picture earlier comparing my Spider with the DLL. My Spider appears to have a white outline of the insert, therefore there was no black paint to chip. I think the Spider will look better longer.

^^^^Just Tapped That

v.man
05-28-2013, 08:07 PM

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/fo...addy+long+legs #100
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/fo...-Review/page12 #179
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?44044-TaylorMade-Daddy-Long-Legs-Putter-Forum-Review/page14 #200
Played another round with the Daddy Long Legs today. River Pines Golf Club, Johns Creek, Ga. Shot 78 (par 70).

(6) One-Putts
(12) Two-Putts
(0) Three-Putts (I'm really liking this number)
(30) Total Putts

Three of the one-putts were for birdie, three for par. I had a couple of really long putts that were successfully lagged for par. I'm getting better at the lag putting. But, it really does help to have that feeling that if I can lag it to anywhere from 6 feet and in I'm probably going to make it. The same is true for chipping.

The one-putts were from 3, 6, 2, 5, 6, and 12 feet. I had several nice par putts from inside 10 feet as well. I haven't been keeping stats on those like I have been on the one-putts. I'll do that for the next few rounds.

I want to quote something codywallace mentioned in one of his write-ups: "This putter really amplifies how bad of a putt reader I am. I hit every single line, but one, yesterday, and most missed putts were from a bad line/read." I also am finding this to be very true. If I miss a putt from say 12 feet and in, it is almost always because of the read. The balance is so good that it is almost automatic to roll the ball on my line. I mean, I know where I'm trying to hit the ball, so when it goes there and I miss the hole, there is nothing to say but, oops, bad read.

One other thought today and a question for the forum testers, or for anyone for that matter. I read the following somewhere online referring to the DLL: "The putter is yet another industry example of a pre-emptive strike against the USGA's proposed anchoring ban. The weighted grip substitutes for the anchoring technique used by some of today's players". I don't know if that is true or not, but was wondering if any of the testers game or have gamed a belly or long putter, and does this putter kind of compensate for that kind of control. I know I feel I have better control over my stroke with this putter than with any other short putter I've gamed. I know a couple of my pals in the club game broomsticks. I think I'll catch them on the putting green and put this DLL in their hands and find out what they think.

v.man
05-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the reviews everyone. The DLL is one I've been pondering hard and will more than likely be my next major golf purchase. I love the stability it provides. I've only used it indoors at a couple places, but it seems very easy to hit it exactly where you are aiming.

Quoted for truth, buddy.

TheWoo
05-28-2013, 08:30 PM
I want to quote something codywallace mentioned in one of his write-ups: "This putter really amplifies how bad of a putt reader I am. I hit every single line, but one, yesterday, and most missed putts were from a bad line/read." I also am finding this to be very true. If I miss a putt from say 12 feet and in, it is almost always because of the read. The balance is so good that it is almost automatic to roll the ball on my line. I mean, I know where I'm trying to hit the ball, so when it goes there and I miss the hole, there is nothing to say but, oops, bad read.

For sure. It has been especially apparent on 5-12 footers. I am starting the ball on line most of the time, only to end up shaking my head and gesturing in wonder that the break didn't materialize the way I expected. Very humbling for a guy who's been playing golf all his life.

One other thought today and a question for the forum testers, or for anyone for that matter. I read the following somewhere online referring to the DLL: "The putter is yet another industry example of a pre-emptive strike against the USGA's proposed anchoring ban. The weighted grip substitutes for the anchoring technique used by some of today's players". I don't know if that is true or not, but was wondering if any of the testers game or have gamed a belly or long putter, and does this putter kind of compensate for that kind of control. I know I feel I have better control over my stroke with this putter than with any other short putter I've gamed. I know a couple of my pals in the club game broomsticks. I think I'll catch them on the putting green and put this DLL in their hands and find out what they think.

I gamed a belly putter last year. IMO, this is simply marketing, as the feel and experience are totally different. That said, I'm making more confident strokes with the DLL than ever with my belly putter.

Jeff Spicoli
05-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Quoted for truth, buddy.

I have limited experience with the DLL, but it seems like you have to put a really bad stroke on it to hit it offline on short putts.

I can see the potential the DLL has to help save a few strokes per round.

v.man
05-31-2013, 01:06 AM
Um. I'm not going to count this as one of my reviews, because like a dumbass I left the scorecard with all my notes on the length of the putts, etc. on the cart. It's a shame because I really kept detailed notes, and I was really proud of myself today and would have loved to have given a detailed account of the round. Suffice to say that I had 8 one-putts and 10 two-putts, and most of the two putts were thrown back to me because they were all over the freaking hole, even the 25-30 footers.

I made a few bucks off of the DLL today as well. We play a game sometimes called "trash". It's basically greenies, birdies, sandies, winning the hole, and POLEIES. Poleies are any putt made for par or better from outside the length of the flag pole. I drained several of these 8 to 12 footers, enough to pay for my post round quaffs.

Brianbigoats
05-31-2013, 01:38 AM
I have limited experience with the DLL, but it seems like you have to put a really bad stroke on it to hit it offline on short putts.

I can see the potential the DLL has to help save a few strokes per round.

You have to try hit it offline

Patriots1
05-31-2013, 02:21 AM
My DLL story is pretty much the same as most of the comments before me. Hard to put a bad stroke on it, deadly from inside 10 feet, stays on line perfectly, etc.
This next little story pretty much sums it up. I play usually once every couple weeks with my Dad, brother, and brother in law. We played may 18th and I gave them a little taste of what DLL could do. A week later we played on the 25th and all three of them had a damn Daddy Long Legs. I think we were all square that day.

Jeff Spicoli
05-31-2013, 03:05 PM
My DLL story is pretty much the same as most of the comments before me. Hard to put a bad stroke on it, deadly from inside 10 feet, stays on line perfectly, etc.
This next little story pretty much sums it up. I play usually once every couple weeks with my Dad, brother, and brother in law. We played may 18th and I gave them a little taste of what DLL could do. A week later we played on the 25th and all three of them had a damn Daddy Long Legs. I think we were all square that day.

Sounds like you guys are in an arms race. Mutually assured destruction, perhaps?

Jjmorris
05-31-2013, 03:07 PM

Sounds like you guys are in an arms race. Mutually assured destruction, perhaps?

Ha! I see many good-good's in near future if everyone has the DLL.

golfinFF
05-31-2013, 07:46 PM
I played in a scramble yesterday and putted terrible! I did however have an aha moment, I realized I was crowding the ball. My putting improved when I stepped back from the ball.

I guess I have something to work on my next time out and hopefully it'll change my success rate.

TMAdidas
05-31-2013, 10:51 PM
Thinking about testing on the practice green tomorrow with a demo. It's a long overdo testing.

War Eagle
05-31-2013, 11:18 PM
Um. I'm not going to count this as one of my reviews, because like a dumbass I left the scorecard with all my notes on the length of the putts, etc. on the cart. It's a shame because I really kept detailed notes, and I was really proud of myself today and would have loved to have given a detailed account of the round. Suffice to say that I had 8 one-putts and 10 two-putts, and most of the two putts were thrown back to me because they were all over the freaking hole, even the 25-30 footers.

I made a few bucks off of the DLL today as well. We play a game sometimes called "trash". It's basically greenies, birdies, sandies, winning the hole, and POLEIES. Poleies are any putt made for par or better from outside the length of the flag pole. I drained several of these 8 to 12 footers, enough to pay for my post round quaffs.
Draining those 8-12 footers is huge, v.man! In my opinion, being able to drain putts from that length is an absolute game changer. glad to hear it's treating you so well.