PDA

View Full Version : Taylormade R1 Driver... what is going on here...?

Cyan007
10-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Hey guys,

I decided to check out some forums to see what I could possibly be doing wrong with this new club I bought. I picked up the Taylormade R1 driver a few weeks ago and ever since then I have been utterly awful with trying to figure out how to hit it. I previously owned a Taylormade Burner. My biggest issue with the new driver is I cannot hit for distance at all.

With the Burner even though I sliced here and there I was able to hit between 240 and 270 yards. Now with my new R1 driver, I'm lucky if I can hit 200 yards on the roll and it's driving me crazy. I have about 400 drives into it with very few getting past 200 yards. I have tried so many swing styles with it that now the rest of my game is also out of whack.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is it possible the driver is broken and I should take it back and have it tested or something? I'm being told I'm crazy and it's just my swing but I had no issues with my previous driver...

Thanks!

JB
10-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Sure have. Its a driver that just did not work for me. It comes down to fitting. Some heads are high spin, some are lower spin, then couple that with correct loft and shaft profiles and it leaves a lot of work to find the right one.

Now add to that the side of every club that works for amateurs and that is how forgiving is it on off center hits and non-direct blows and you have a whole lot to figure out.

blugold
10-04-2013, 01:15 PM
I would think a fitting and objective launch characteristic analysis is needed.

ddec
10-04-2013, 01:18 PM
first off welcome to THP.

Sounds like you need to bring it in for a fitting of some sort. Lofts and shaft length similar to what you had in the burner driver?

tequila4kapp
10-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Check out the forum reviews on this club. There is alot of content in the regular R1 thread, then a bit more in the R1 Black thread.

Many people found they had to go up in loft due to the low spin head. I was finding best results at 11.25 and 12. I then switched out shafts, going from TM's stock Aldila to TM's stock Fujikura, was able to go back down to 10.5 and have had much better results. Then I started fiddling with how high to tee the ball...in general, higher has been better for me.

bulldog
10-04-2013, 01:26 PM
I'll also add one other thought. It may be a dead head. I was @ a store & a guy had the same problem. Also it was a TM driver. They sent it in & he got it exchanged. It happens.

tappin from my big as note2

PinHunter
10-04-2013, 01:27 PM
I hit the R1 before buying my 913 and I found it dead and clunky feeling. Same with the stage2 and r11s. I had a R9 460 before my 913 and I liked it. Way more pop. But with my 913 I can absolutely crush it. Feels more lively and the ball explodes off the face

Javelin
10-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Hey guys,

I decided to check out some forums to see what I could possibly be doing wrong with this new club I bought. I picked up the Taylormade R1 driver a few weeks ago and ever since then I have been utterly awful with trying to figure out how to hit it. I previously owned a Taylormade Burner. My biggest issue with the new driver is I cannot hit for distance at all.

With the Burner even though I sliced here and there I was able to hit between 240 and 270 yards. Now with my new R1 driver, I'm lucky if I can hit 200 yards on the roll and it's driving me crazy. I have about 400 drives into it with very few getting past 200 yards. I have tried so many swing styles with it that now the rest of my game is also out of whack.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is it possible the driver is broken and I should take it back and have it tested or something? I'm being told I'm crazy and it's just my swing but I had no issues with my previous driver...

Thanks!

I noticed that I hit my R1 about 10 yards shorter than my old Burner SF the first few weeks I had it. But after talking to TM and getting a little better fitting they dialed me properly to the driver and now I'm hitting it further than my Burner driver and with more accuracy. I'm a high 90s mph swing speed hitting the R1 about 220-230 yards.

Cyan007
10-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Hey guys! Thanks so much for the responses. I think what I'll do is go back to the store and pretty much lay out what's happening... have them take a few swings to see if they have any luck with it and go from there.

It's just so frustrating at the range having a driver you THINK should be great and having it be a complete dud so far. Thanks again and I'll let you know what happens tonight after I go back.

POKeefe
10-04-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm a high handicapper and I found it to be far better than the other drivers I tried. It sounds like a dead head to me personally. Sometimes you can tell by the sound it makes, but maybe not.

Agent Jay
10-04-2013, 02:31 PM
I would take it back, find the EXACT same club, then hit both on a monitor. If the both preform the same, then it's the Indian, not the arrow as they say.

BirdieBob
10-04-2013, 02:38 PM
And what shaft are you using in this R1 driver?
With a 36 Hcp try some different shafts and see if that helps.

The R1 driver has been tested side by side with many drivers and while it is the most adjustable driver on the market, it also has excellent distance.
Right there with any other driver and has great distance across the entire face (Watts Robo testing confirmed).

Philly Golf Guy
10-05-2013, 09:14 AM
The R1 allows for a lot of adjustability, so there is a lot of ways to make the driver work for you. I would spend some time with a fitter or a LM and make sure there is nothing wrong with the club you have, then figure out the best settings for you. Give it some time, as it's by far the best driver I have played.

Orange Hog
10-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I picked up an R1 this summer going from my old Ping G20. I noticed that I was immediately getting more distance out of it. I've messed around with the settings and ended up going up to 11* at neutral. I'm now bombing it straight off the tee every time. If you feel like you've hit it solid but still can't get the distance then take it back, get fitted and have them run a launch monitor. Might be the club head? Or this just might not be the club for you. For high handicappers I think the adjustable driver is the way to go. You might want to test out the new TM SLDR driver and check the review thread on THP for that club too.

Via Tapatalk4

Cyan007
10-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I actually took it back and had it tested and the guy testing it wasn't able to find any issues with it. He also hit it a few times and it was pretty solid on the drive. I bought a roll of impact tape, I'm going to see exactly where I'm hitting the ball off the head... that might solve a few issues. I did however migrate back to my old driver for a round and was hitting much better... although with my natural slice. :angel: