Do different brand clubs?................

clg82

Banned
Reaction score
Just was curious I was comparing my x22 6 iron to a mizuno 6 iron and a taylormade 6 iron and it was about 1/2 in shorter....is this normal?

Different brands have different lengths nowadays. They also have different lofts in irons. most feel this is due to wanting to claim to be the longest iron. While that is true on some levels, a few club makers have told us that another reason for that is because the advancement of technology in game improvement irons. Wider soles, different weighting, etc... make lofting and weighting much different in the past.

I have a friend who was bragging about how much further he hit his new irons and I told him to check the website for the specs on shaft length and lofts compared to his old clubs. He was surprised to learn that his new 5 iron and old 4 iron had the same loft and shaft length. Reminds me of when they improved mileage on cars by lowering the rear end ratio....some improvement in efficiency....:)

C-Tech, to me this is similar to the TaylorMade commercials with Nick Faldo. For some reason that commercial rubs me the wrong way since they know they aren’t really comparing apples to apples.

Last year when I was researching new clubs I kept seeing that the lenghts were different for different clubs. Not only that, but many times the lie angle and lofts were different.

That is something to keep in mind when buying clubs and a good reason to get fitted, one company's lie angle and length might be different than another company's. Even the same company might change their standard specs over time. When I got clubs 7-8 years ago I needed 2º up, so I figured that is what I needed this time. The 2º up on my old set is now standard.

thanks for all of the input fellas! I just noticed because I was comparing mine to my brothers clubs, and was a little confused at the outcome (mine being shorter). What I wonder would be the reason for the half inch difference for callaway I ponder?

For some fitting homework at work on Friday we pulled up the specs on the latest clubs (whatever they currently have on their websites) for the "Big 10" manufactures to help with our fittings at work. We found that each one has different loft lie and length mesurments. No 2 companies have similar setups. If they share a loft the lie and length are different. Don't be fooled there is no industry standard and this is why today fitting is that much more important. I have been refit due to this and I was suprised to find out that with a couple of companies I am 2* up and in 1 I am 1/2* flat. So if you are looking for new clubs take the time and find someone who knows what they are doing.

Just was curious I was comparing my x22 6 iron to a mizuno 6 iron and a taylormade 6 iron and it was about 1/2 in shorter....is this normal?

Most of the time, you can find exact specifications online. As others mentioned, length, loft, and standard lie angle differ not only between manufacturers, but also different models from the same manufacturer.

Not sure which Mizuno & TM you were looking at, but here is a comparison of 6 irons:

TM Burner:

• Length: 37.625"
  • Lie Angle: 62.5°
  • Loft: 27°
Mizuno MX-200:

• Length: 37.25"
  • Lie Angle: 61.0°
  • Loft: 29°
Callaway X-22:

• Length: 37.25"
  • Lie Angle: 62°
  • Loft: 30°

Mizuno and Ping typically have the flattest standard lie angle, while TM has a reputation for the strongest lofts and longest shafts.

Mizuno's US site seems to be down, but I had the numbers printed out because I lurv the MX-200s. You can check the Euro site though:
Mizuno MX-200 Iron

I've noticed also that some manufacturers are using different length spacing between clubs - I first saw a set that was 3/8" between clubs instead of the normal 1/2" (can't remember what clubs, though,) and the Adams A4 set has 3/4" spacing between 3h-4h-5i, then 5/8" between 5i-9i, then 1/4" between 9i-LW.

Back