Question to you Mac users

RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
I have supposedly used 199gb/250gb and I have no clue how.
Is there a way I can display a list of everything in a sorted way?
I have tried going into my hard drive and displaying as a list, and then sorting by size, but because of all the folders, it will only display individual files, and not folders in descending/ascending order.

Thanks!

Were you in the process of erasing the free space by any chance?

Another cause could be if you have encrypted your userhome. It will only free up the space when you log out when connected to a power source (after emptying the trash)

Were you in the process of erasing the free space by any chance?

Another cause could be if you have encrypted your userhome. It will only free up the space when you log out when connected to a power source (after emptying the trash)

I'm afraid I don't know what these mean. Could you please explain it?
As far as I know, I don't have any encryptions running on the computer.

OK, in your utilities folder there is something called disk utility. In that app one option is to wipe the free space on your HD. If you are doing this and the process interrupted by a force quit or crash, when you start again it looks like your drive is nearly full. This is because of a hidden file created during the wipe. But if you were not using that then its something else.

Is your drive partitioned with bootcamp?

Not sure why but I am a little surprised at all the mac users on here. I too use disk inventory x.

OK, in your utilities folder there is something called disk utility. In that app one option is to wipe the free space on your HD. If you are doing this and the process interrupted by a force quit or crash, when you start again it looks like your drive is nearly full. This is because of a hidden file created during the wipe. But if you were not using that then its something else.

Is your drive partitioned with bootcamp?

Thanks!
I haven't been doing this, what does wiping the free space do?
My disk is not partitioned at all.

I had the same issue with my MacBook Pro. I had no disc space left and couldnt even do updates. I couldnt figure out what was eating space up so I just upgraded to a new bigger HDD. It was one of the easiest upgrades Ive ever done on a device, windows or Mac.

I had the same issue with my MacBook Pro. I had no disc space left and couldnt even do updates. I couldnt figure out what was eating space up so I just upgraded to a new bigger HDD. It was one of the easiest upgrades Ive ever done on a device, windows or Mac.

I'm tempted to dump mine into an external and just start fresh with only the few files that I NEED to do school work and such.

I'm tempted to dump mine into an external and just start fresh with only the few files that I NEED to do school work and such.

I tried to get rid of all the pictures and anything else but it made very little difference. So I used timemachine to do a backup, bought a new 500GB hybrid laptop drive and then followed instructions online for replacing the HDD. Boot up to the OS cd and then used the timemachine backup. Worked like a charm.

The easy answer is to get yourself a nice PC and move on from the terrible world of Mac's.

The easy answer is to get yourself a nice PC and move on from the terrible world of Mac's.

After the issues I've had with windows computers both at home, at school, and at the office, I really don't want to own one if I don't have to.
It took my office computer 20 minutes to do a hard reboot.

I will probably run Windows 7 on my mac, to be able to use some specific programs like simply accounting and ms access, and potentially solidworks.

For Windows 7 it is best to use either Parallels or VMware Fusion and have a WIndows 7 VM. This way you don't need to keep rebooting into Windows and can run them both side by side under OSX

Someone mentioned Parallels to me once, but I haven't really heard anything more than that.
How does it work/is it easy to set up/where can I get it?

Someone mentioned Parallels to me once, but I haven't really heard anything more than that.
How does it work/is it easy to set up/where can I get it?

We use both Parallels and VMware Fusion here at our office and on our laptops, they both work great, you can easily switch between PC apps and Mac apps. We've had good luck with both, we just went with whatever was cheapest at the time!

I've never figured out why so many people insist on buying a Mac and then the first thing they do is install Windows...

I've never figured out why so many people insist on buying a Mac and then the first thing they do is install Windows...
I've been a Mac user since 1984. I've NEVER installed Windows.

I will be doing it begrudgingly after 23 months with my computer because my education depends on it.

Back