Golfers who make your squirm!

There was this old guy down at a course called Old Union...
He was playing a set of Old Cobra irons..(can you believe that??)
.j/k Gray....

Most of my pet peeves are relegated to the super slow players that feel they have to follow you to your ball...THEN proceed to their ball afterwards and do their entire setup and execute....
Also, there have been a couple of Super fast players that hover close to me on my shot making me feel like I am going way too slow...
Those guys I usually just ask to go on ahead as I wont be able to keep up....

Agreed. Every time I play with him I can hardly break 90.

Everytime I play with this Hawk guy he's always telling me what I'm doing wrong. Sometimes I wanna hit him in the goners with my Driver. Avoid this guy at all costs.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Got a guy on one of our trips who will give you the pre-play (what he is gonna do) then the replay (what he did) and why what he did didnt match what he said he was gonna do and you usually get all this while u are trying to make your swing. He's also good for doing things like when we get to a tee with water all the way down the right side saying something like "man wouldn't want to hit a slice here"... Thanks I'll just throw my tee shot in the water now

Man don't those type of dudes just irritate the :poop: out of ya! I mean you are trying to focus on a good target and then they go talking about how hard the hole is or say, this sucker will eat your fricking lunch. Excuse me, I prefer to found this tidbit of info out on my own. When you tee it up with a negative thought it usually goes south so why would you need help from a playing partner to screw up :beat-up:

bama:[B said:
There was this old guy down at a course called Old Union.[/B]
He was playing a set of Old Cobra irons..(can you believe that??)
.j/k Gray....

Most of my pet peeves are relegated to the super slow players that feel they have to follow you to your ball...THEN proceed to their ball afterwards and do their entire setup and execute....
Also, there have been a couple of Super fast players that hover close to me on my shot making me feel like I am going way too slow...
Those guys I usually just ask to go on ahead as I wont be able to keep up....

Hey Bama! Where have you been hiding out buddy? It's like you have got yourself a job being a golf travel bag inspector. hehe Wish you could be at the outing this week :thumb:

Interesting thread, we have all played with most of these types, but I find I can play with all of them except for the talkers, movers during the swing. And the talkers usually don't bother me too much if they are fairly quiet as I have poor hearing.

Interesting thread, we have all played with most of these types, but I find I can play with all of them except for the talkers, movers during the swing. And the talkers usually don't bother me too much if they are fairly quiet as I have poor hearing.

I hates whisperers more than I hate talkers. Your mind subconsciously tries to hear what they are saying...I usually turn to them and say "if you're gonna whisper you might as well just talk". For some reason that usually shuts them up...

I hates whisperers more than I hate talkers. Your mind subconsciously tries to hear what they are saying...I usually turn to them and say "if you're gonna whisper you might as well just talk". For some reason that usually shuts them up...

I can imagine, I wish I could hear well enough to hear them whisper but...I guess that is the only good part of not hearing well.

one of my regular playing partners makes alot of ppl we get paired up with squirm buahaha
everytime we play together while waiting at the first tee... if its not the starter itll be someone we get paired up with
there's always a groan or "oh man" under their breath
she looks like a skinny lil girl and for some reason ppl think "oh great we'll be waiting till she hits her 4th shot to our 1st"
she's even gotten a "darlin... the ladies tees are up there"
i always tell her forget ladies first... let these tools hit then show'm whatcha got
lil do they know she has an athletic scholarship and her teeball is usually 50 yrds or more past them every time lol

one of my regular playing partners makes alot of ppl we get paired up with squirm buahaha
everytime we play together while waiting at the first tee... if its not the starter itll be someone we get paired up with
there's always a groan or "oh man" under their breath
she looks like a skinny lil girl and for some reason ppl think "oh great we'll be waiting till she hits her 4th shot to our 1st"
she's even gotten a "darlin... the ladies tees are up there"
i always tell her forget ladies first... let these tools hit then show'm whatcha got
lil do they know she has an athletic scholarship and her teeball is usually 50 yrds or more past them every time lol

That is awesome! I live stories like that. That is one reason I love playing golf with Ole Gray and KellyBo.

TapaTalk: More addictive than crack and World of Warcraft.

The last round I played I played with a preacher at one of our churches. I have nothing against religion but when you are trying to push it onto me throughout my whole round I start to get aggitated. Then at the end of our round he gave me one of his cards, which I took. And then tried to get me into a pyramid scheme that he was a part of......just blew my mind.

My mom asked if I wanted to play with our church's priest. I politely declined for the same reason.

I got paired up with 3 elder gentlemen this weekend at my tournament and they were all very nice guys. Pretty good players too as they all carried 9-13 handicaps. The one thing that drove me bonkers was having to share a cart with one of the guys. First of all, I dont like using a cart during a tournament as my tempo gets really fast and my mistakes compound on top of one another. Secondly, if I'm using a cart (I do pretty much every round at my home course), I usually like to drive myself. I'm the same way in driving a car, really dont ever like sitting in the passenger seat.

This guy had to be one of the all-time WORST drivers! The carts were some of the best I've ever been in, practically brand new electric carts that really hauled arse. This guy nearly tipped us over a few times, tailgated the cart in front of us, had to slam on the breaks and screech to a stop twice and hit the guys in front of us once! When we were on the fairways waiting for the guys to hit or going to our shots, he never stopped moving the cart. It was like he was afraid of parking brake. Even when I would try to get out of the cart and grab a club he would be creeping away!

I ended up posting a terrible 53 on the front 9 while I was fearing for my life. Finally got a little comfortable (white-knuckles holding onto the armrest and cart roof) for the back 9 and shot a much better 40.

I got paired up with 3 elder gentlemen this weekend at my tournament and they were all very nice guys. Pretty good players too as they all carried 9-13 handicaps. The one thing that drove me bonkers was having to share a cart with one of the guys. First of all, I dont like using a cart during a tournament as my tempo gets really fast and my mistakes compound on top of one another. Secondly, if I'm using a cart (I do pretty much every round at my home course), I usually like to drive myself. I'm the same way in driving a car, really dont ever like sitting in the passenger seat.

This guy had to be one of the all-time WORST drivers! The carts were some of the best I've ever been in, practically brand new electric carts that really hauled arse. This guy nearly tipped us over a few times, tailgated the cart in front of us, had to slam on the breaks and screech to a stop twice and hit the guys in front of us once! When we were on the fairways waiting for the guys to hit or going to our shots, he never stopped moving the cart. It was like he was afraid of parking brake. Even when I would try to get out of the cart and grab a club he would be creeping away!

I ended up posting a terrible 53 on the front 9 while I was fearing for my life. Finally got a little comfortable (white-knuckles holding onto the armrest and cart roof) for the back 9 and shot a much better 40.

Sorry buddy! I will try to do a better driving job next time :D

There's two guys that I've played with that are extremely irritating. The first one I don't play with anymore because he cheats all the time. But besides that he would hit a shot over the green and say he hit it "too good". In my opinion, if you hit it too good you would be in the hole. He also will hit an approach that will roll down the false front and completely off the green and say he put too much spin on the ball. I guess he doesn't know the difference between spin and gravity.

The other guy that plays in our group just has a really irritating personality. We usually have a draw straws type of game to see who gets stuck riding with him. Nobody wants to. He always hits his driver off the deck and will tell you he can hit that shot perfect just about all the time when in reality, he only hits a good shot with it maybe one out of every 20 attempts. Most of the time he will only hit it about another 50 or 60 yards or else out of bounds and then he'll try it again.

There's two guys that I've played with that are extremely irritating. The first one I don't play with anymore because he cheats all the time. But besides that he would hit a shot over the green and say he hit it "too good". In my opinion, if you hit it too good you would be in the hole. He also will hit an approach that will roll down the false front and completely off the green and say he put too much spin on the ball. I guess he doesn't know the difference between spin and gravity.

The other guy that plays in our group just has a really irritating personality. We usually have a draw straws type of game to see who gets stuck riding with him. Nobody wants to. He always hits his driver off the deck and will tell you he can hit that shot perfect just about all the time when in reality, he only hits a good shot with it maybe one out of every 20 attempts. Most of the time he will only hit it about another 50 or 60 yards or else out of bounds and then he'll try it again.

That is a classic statement.......LOL

I had a guy in my league who had to know what you were shooting all the time. If you played with him he would tell you where you were in comparison to his score after every hole, "You have me by one, or I have you by 3..." it is really annoying when you are just trying to relax and have fun because even if you weren't playing against him he wanted to know what you were shooting and would yell across holes to ask you. Also played with a speed golfer last weekend, that was the worst. He would run to the tee, hit and be in his cart before I took the head cover off my driver, the worst part is, most holes we were waiting on people ahead of us so it didnt make any sense to be playing this quickly.

Ooooooops, my bad. Saw the title and thought this was another TW or Sabbatini thread :D

Got a guy on my golf email list that bugs the crap outta me. Lets call him Bob. Bob's a high handicapper (if he carried one.) If he hits a bad drive he won't say a word to my friend who is also just starting golf (who imho is better than Bob). If Bob hits a decent drive he'll start giving my friend tips on what to do. If Bob hits that 1 really good drive you won't hear the end of this lessons. The funny thing is that he won't just give lessons on driving but putting. My buddy is a nice guy so he won't tell Bob to back off because it's golf and we don't want to stress it. I do have to constantly remind my friend that his tips are wrong and just swing the club you'll be fine.

I don't mind tips, in fact I welcome them, as I'm still learning in this game too but you gotta at least be in the high 80's to low 90's to prove to me you know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
A guy my golfing buddies know as Peckerhead. Haven't played or seen him in several years... thank godness. But he was a hot headed mess. Only played with him a few times but it was a nightmare. I remember playing 18 holes at my home course and got to #9 that is dogleg right. He tries cut driver around corner but goes left directly behind a huge pine tree. He is golfer that will tell you what and why type of shot he is going to hit next. Anyway he is maybe 5 feet behind the tree and takes a hybrid to go around it. However he tries to go directly through the tree instead and hits dead center which bounces straight back almost taking his head off. He turns blood red...slams club few times and just starts cussing. I hold in a chuckle but he still see me giggling like a school girl. Well he sorta cools off and then we get to #12. He pulls his second shot into the left bunker with his wedge and boy he isn't happy. He uses the same wedge trying to get out but doesn't get the ball out almost stays in same spot. He cusses the wedge and how POS it is an tomahawks it into the pond to the left of us. I fall over laughing since this is too much to handle. All he can say is never liked that wedge anyway. :D

He cusses the wedge and how POS it is an tomahawks it into the pond to the left of us. I fall over laughing since this is too much to handle. All he can say is never liked that wedge anyway. :D

Hahaha. It's great that he blames it on the wedge on not user error.

I haven't played with anyone like this in a while, but a few years ago I played with a kid whom refused to be quiet while anyone was swinging. Not just making a little noise... :banghead: But he would be having a full out conversation with his friend on the other hole, or slamming his club on the ground, or just messing in his golf back. He simply just didn't care. I was so mad especially since this was a tournament I was playing in. I finally said something to him after making noise in my swing, I just looked at his and said "DUDE SERIOUSLY" he knew i was a bit angry so he was chilled out the rest of the time.

Sorry buddy! I will try to do a better driving job next time :D

haha Gray I'm sure you are a better driver than this guy...he needs to have his liscense revoked!

I had a partner in league for a few years and finally had to ditch him. He is a 17 (for 9 holes) and I was always around a 6. He would tell me how to hit shots and what club I should use. I would tell him once he started to beat me, he could give me advice. He would also constantly complain about slow play, while looking for his errant shots every hole. Some of our golfers are older and can't hit the ball very far so they might use a driver on a par 3. He would say "This is a par 3, you're using a driver? A driver?", as he tops his ball 20 yards with a 5 wood. And my favorite is when he would actually make good contact but with a big slice he would say "I hit that good, why did it go over there?", and that would be repeated at least twice per accurance, 3 or 4 times a round. I did drink more during those years, helped somewhat.

That is awesome! I live stories like that. That is one reason I love playing golf with Ole Gray and KellyBo.

TapaTalk: More addictive than crack and World of Warcraft.

id love to play a round with those guys too... but i doubt too many ppl underestimate them hahaha

Well as for playing well while sloshed, how many times does your instructor tell you to relax the tension in your arms or tells you not to swing at the ball but just let he ball get in the way. Well I suspect you are pretty well loosened up if you a good way into a 5th of scotch and as for just letting the ball get in the way, hard to swing at it if you can't see it!

While I think every course has it's version of "Instructor Guy" and "Too slow to be believed Guy" and a few have way too "Fast Guy", the one that every course seems to have that surprises me is "Can't stand the Guy", but he insists on being paired up. I almost wonder if these characters get avoided like the plague off the course making the course the one place where they can just sit and wait while insisting they be paired up with some poor unsuspecting golfer.

Sandbaggers! It's the reason I don't participate in any of the club events unless they are mono y mono with no juice. I play in the A flight, so most of the guys are better than me anyway.

I just hate when a guy is a 20 and breaks 80 consistently and then says it was "the round of a lifetime". They obviously don't put all of their scores in. Whatever dude, fool me once, I'm outta here.

If I am ever paired up with a "joker" or "assclown" as I call them, it just provides me with in-round entertainment and they don't bother me. Or at least is hasn't bothered me for several years.

Be yourself, have fun, try your best, don't be a jerk, more than likely I'll want to play with you again.

Back