Scratch Golf Done?

Kudos for coming on here Ari and clearing things up! Very cool IMO.

Great to hear all's well for Scratch Golf. Thanks for coming on to let us know.

Tap,Tap,Tap

I just wish Scratch would make it easier for some of us to try the clubs. I was very interested in the past to try the wedges, but it was nearly, if not impossible to try them before you buy, and I won't buy a club I can't hit outdoors. Now with the groove change, it would be really tough to try the wedges (with old grooves) as I have NO interest in wedges with the new grooves.

Great to hear about the new stuff! I think the Scratch stuff is just beautiful! I like when a very high up will come on here and let us know what is going on.

TapaTalk: More addictive than crack and World of Warcraft.

Yessir! I plan on hitting these again, I just have not felt the "it" factor with these wedges that most seem to rave about. There was not buttery soft feeling and whatnot. Beautiful looking clubs though.

You guys will hear more about their wedges after the THP Demo Day this weekend.

I just read they no longer take orders online...that you now have to go through a golf retailer, e.g., Golf Town, PGA Superstore, etc.

I just read they no longer take orders online...that you now have to go through a golf retailer, e.g., Golf Town, PGA Superstore, etc.

Correct, that is for the summer or shortly thereafter. Due to the high demand they are focusing on the big box retailers for a time and will be going back to custom orders directly again come fall I believe. You can still get fully custom clubs painted, stamped and the like for no additional cost.

In fact here you go.

We will begin direct sales again with the release of our 100% USA made 8620-USA wedges later this summer. We are committed to making it easier for everyone to find our clubs and see them and try them in person (lack of this is the biggest complaint we get by far) and we have had so much demand from retail stores that we just do not have the ability right now to fill both direct orders and retail store orders. This is only temporary as we expand our retail network over the coming months.

During this time we will still be offering free customization. Anyone that has any Scratch clubs that they want custom stampings, custom paintfill etc you can send them to us and we will do all of that free of charge. You can also call and talk to someone directly or email us directly as you would have done before about your order and what you need and we will help you get that order placed with a retail store near you.

As always I appreciate your concern and your support for Scratch Golf over the years and now. Look for the new 8620-USA and new online store later this summer along with a newly redesigned webpage. If anyone has any questions or concerns and would like to contact me directly my email is [email protected]

I love the candor, thanks for your responses Mr. Techner.

Correct, that is for the summer or shortly thereafter. Due to the high demand they are focusing on the big box retailers for a time and will be going back to custom orders directly again come fall I believe. You can still get fully custom clubs painted, stamped and the like for no additional cost.
In fact here you go.

Okay, I dont get this at all. Im sure there is a great reason for it, but if a company is "notorious" for not filling orders, they want me to buy the club somewhere else and send it to them and hope it comes back? At least before I had recourse if the wedge never showed up. Now as a consumer, I would have no recourse since the purchase came from somewhere else. I understand the rabid fans, but this is a horrible idea business wise to win fans back. One mistake of a wedge purchased elsewhere and bad timing and the company will get crucified.

If a company cannot handle orders or must shut it down to focus on wholesale rather than retail that is fine, but just do that then. I dont understand what the above post says frankly....Not on those words anyway. [We cant fill our retails orders, but we are expanding our retail distribution which means more orders]. Im sure its just me, but I just dont understand that. Im guessing it means we dont have product or time to support both (like before), so right now we are not dealing with consumers directly. A company that has experienced incredible growth will always have growing pains and those pains at some places apparently scream very loud.

Okay, I dont get this at all. Im sure there is a great reason for it, but if a company is "notorious" for not filling orders, they want me to buy the club somewhere else and send it to them and hope it comes back? At least before I had recourse if the wedge never showed up. Now as a consumer, I would have no recourse since the purchase came from somewhere else. I understand the rabid fans, but this is a horrible idea business wise to win fans back. One mistake of a wedge purchased elsewhere and bad timing and the company will get crucified.

If a company cannot handle orders or must shut it down to focus on wholesale rather than retail that is fine, but just do that then. I dont understand what the above post says frankly....Not on those words anyway. [We cant fill our retails orders, but we are expanding our retail distribution which means more orders]. Im sure its just me, but I just dont understand that. Im guessing it means we dont have product or time to support both (like before), so right now we are not dealing with consumers directly. A company that has experienced incredible growth will always have growing pains and those pains at some places apparently scream very loud.

you don't understand what my posts says? you don't get it from reading the additional quote i added from Ari?
also, after reading your first post in this thread and now this one, its almost as if you take a personal enjoyment that this is happening. maybe that isn't the right way to say that. more of a "i called that one" approach if you will. i fully understand if someone doesn't want to deal with Scratch and their products if they are completely satisfied with their OEM wedges or just have no interest in what Scratch offers. after all, "different strokes for different folks," right?
however, the biggest complaint i have ever seen about anything scratch (is not where is my order!?!?!!) but "i sure wish i could hit it before i consider buying it." and rightfully so, after all that is the premise of the THP demo day. no one wants to spend their money on something they have never touched, held, hit, or felt.

whats the best way for Scratch to do that? big box retailers. obviously, there are not many small privately owned golf OEMs out there today. its a tough business. if one wants to speculate how a company can stay in business, i guess there isnt a problem with that, it just seems they are damned if they do, damned if they don't. they are actively taking steps to move the 8620 line to a domestic product so there aren't such delays and growing their business by reaching more people than before, whom have complained about not being able to see the product beforehand.

and if you don't want custom stamping/painting, then the simple answer is just enjoy the wedge you bought from wherever. i think its a pretty nice service to offer for those who may want that, especially at no charge. will something get lost? i am sure it will. i also think the big dawg OEMs have that problem too. maybe i have a different outlook because i have been to their shop, met the people and own the product and walked away satisfied. i think the real difference is, people want Scratch to act like all the rest of the big OEM when really they aren't. they do things a little bit different and offer different customer solutions because they need/have to. its a small business thinking outside the box to compete in big boys world. sometimes its kind of nice being different.

you don't understand what my posts says? you don't get it from reading the additional quote i added from Ari?
also, after reading your first post in this thread and now this one, its almost as if you take a personal enjoyment that this is happening. maybe that isn't the right way to say that. more of a "i called that one" approach if you will. i fully understand if someone doesn't want to deal with Scratch and their products if they are completely satisfied with their OEM wedges or just have no interest in what Scratch offers. after all, "different strokes for different folks," right?
however, the biggest complaint i have ever seen about anything scratch (is not where is my order!?!?!!) but "i sure wish i could hit it before i consider buying it." and rightfully so, after all that is the premise of the THP demo day. no one wants to spend their money on something they have never touched, held, hit, or felt.

whats the best way for Scratch to do that? big box retailers. obviously, there are not many small privately owned golf OEMs out there today. its a tough business. if one wants to speculate how a company can stay in business, i guess there isnt a problem with that, it just seems they are damned if they do, damned if they don't. they are actively taking steps to move the 8620 line to a domestic product so there aren't such delays and growing their business by reaching more people than before, whom have complained about not being able to see the product beforehand.

and if you don't want custom stamping/painting, then the simple answer is just enjoy the wedge you bought from wherever. i think its a pretty nice service to offer for those who may want that, especially at no charge. will something get lost? i am sure it will. i also think the big dawg OEMs have that problem too. maybe i have a different outlook because i have been to their shop, met the people and own the product and walked away satisfied. i think the real difference is, people want Scratch to act like all the rest of the big OEM when really they aren't. they do things a little bit different and offer different customer solutions because they need/have to. its a small business thinking outside the box to compete in big boys world. sometimes its kind of nice being different.

I get NO personal enjoyment out of seeing anything like that. That is so far off base, its borderline absurd. I have dealt personally many times with Ari and it has been nothing but pleasant and we have always wished him and the brand nothing but success. However I will say I am not a fan or a consumer, and have my own thoughts on the matter. Just because they differ from yours as a fan and a consumer does not mean they are wrong just as nobody is saying yours are wrong. I dont think there is anything wrong with discussing how a company runs a business from the outside looking in. People do it all day every day in their complaints and fandom of other brands. Why is it okay to discuss one brand releasing too much equipment or someone saying that they dont like XYZ brand, but someone cannot voice an opinion of all brands big or small. Well maybe it is that way at other sites, I dont know, I dont frequent any others, but here everybody has a voice and as long as it is done respectable and without attacks, that is what this place is about.

And I think it's great that Scratch sent some wedges for our demo day Friday.

I don't see a problem with questioning the why's of a business, it's what we should do as consumers, and I would hope that Ari would welcome it. The only way one can grow or make necessary changes is to have honest feedback (good or bad) when it comes to your processes or your products.

I just wish they'd send a left handed wedge to demo day :alien:

And I think it's great that Scratch sent some wedges for our demo day Friday.

I don't see a problem with questioning the why's of a business, it's what we should do as consumers, and I would hope that Ari would welcome it. The only way one can grow or make necessary changes is to have honest feedback (good or bad) when it comes to your processes or your products.

I just wish they'd send a left handed wedge to demo day :alien:
Not to change the subject, but with so many left-handed golfers these days I'm surprised more companies don't accommodate you fellows. I play with a lot of lefties.

Not to change the subject, but with so many left-handed golfers these days I'm surprised more companies don't accommodate you fellows. I play with a lot of lefties.

Perhaps for another thread, but recent statistics show that the number of lefty golfers in the US is in fact on the rise.

I would love to be able to demo these wedges though.

Its not about whether or not the companies make LH models Sean. It comes down to a couple of things.

1. Not having LH media samples available.
2. Having only a select few things available to send, it would be hard pressed to have only LH when RH make up the majority.

We work with every company to make sure to maximize what is available for golfers.

and have 2 new product lines coming out in 2011 that will both be 100% made in the USA.
Thanks Ari, This still means something to me anyway. Can't wait to try your clubs.

Its not about whether or not the companies make LH models Sean. It comes down to a couple of things.

1. Not having LH media samples available.
2. Having only a select few things available to send, it would be hard pressed to have only LH when RH make up the majority.

We work with every company to make sure to maximize what is available for golfers.
That makes sense JB...and I know how hard you folks work. TC...stick with Callaway for now. :)

I get NO personal enjoyment out of seeing anything like that. That is so far off base, its borderline absurd. I have dealt personally many times with Ari and it has been nothing but pleasant and we have always wished him and the brand nothing but success. However I will say I am not a fan or a consumer, and have my own thoughts on the matter. Just because they differ from yours as a fan and a consumer does not mean they are wrong just as nobody is saying yours are wrong. I dont think there is anything wrong with discussing how a company runs a business from the outside looking in. People do it all day every day in their complaints and fandom of other brands. Why is it okay to discuss one brand releasing too much equipment or someone saying that they dont like XYZ brand, but someone cannot voice an opinion of all brands big or small. Well maybe it is that way at other sites, I dont know, I dont frequent any others, but here everybody has a voice and as long as it is done respectable and without attacks, that is what this place is about.

no attacks meant. there were just 2 specific examples in your first post that bothered me.

I know many fans that laughed at me when the word got out about Ryan Moore switching irons and I said in my opinion he would leave Scratch. He left shortly after.

I said late last year that I would be shocked if they were around in the same capacity in 12 months.

i may have misinterpreted your post and to be fair, i have obviously done so. again, no attacks intended and i understand your point about discussing companies and their services. i am more along the lines of asking without being a big time OEM and having the financial backing that those do, what do you specifically want to see from Scratch? product delays are a fact of life. look at Adams. they push back the release date of products all the time due to demand/availability issues.
and again, maybe its because my business strategy for what i do is different. i am constantly trying to think outside the box and do things that no one else is doing as i get frustrated doing the same thing everyday, with less available business (like in golf) and hoping to grow my business.

Scratch just signed four new players:

Karen Stupples - LPGA Tour
Keith Clearwater - Champions Tour
Rick Price - Nationwide Tour
Todd Bailey - Nationwide Tour

Product delays and pushing back release dates are two VERY different things in my opinion as it relates to this discussion.

I have said my peace in regards to how I think some things are a mistake above, and it is merely my opinion.

Scratch just signed four new players:

Karen Stupples - LPGA Tour
Keith Clearwater - Champions Tour
Rick Price - Nationwide Tour
Todd Bailey - Nationwide Tour

See above.

I think one thing that kinda bugs me is the thought that biggest problem with Scratch is they aren't available to demo. I look through the WIlson Staff Di11 thread along with many other Wilson Staff threads and one of the complaints with the company is the fact they don't have a lot to demo. So it happens but still people are at least able to buy Wilson Staff equipment. I would see that being the biggest issue I have with Scratch. I don't have numbers but I just associate Scratch with not fulfulling orders. I don't know why but I was really thinking about this last night. I hate to read any company in trouble even if it turns out to be false. I just hate reading stuff like that.

Hands down some of the best looking clubs I have ever seen though. I also love the fact Ari listens and responds to message boards. When companies show passion behind their product and believe in it, does wonders for me haha. Which I'm sure is important to them lol.

One cool thing about Scratch is that they are using Pure grips on their clubs now. I love that feature!

I think one thing that kinda bugs me is the thought that biggest problem with Scratch is they aren't available to demo. I look through the WIlson Staff Di11 thread along with many other Wilson Staff threads and one of the complaints with the company is the fact they don't have a lot to demo. So it happens but still people are at least able to buy Wilson Staff equipment. I would see that being the biggest issue I have with Scratch. I don't have numbers but I just associate Scratch with not fulfulling orders. I don't know why but I was really thinking about this last night. I hate to read any company in trouble even if it turns out to be false. I just hate reading stuff like that.

Hands down some of the best looking clubs I have ever seen though. I also love the fact Ari listens and responds to message boards. When companies show passion behind their product and believe in it, does wonders for me haha. Which I'm sure is important to them lol.

i think the easy thing to recognize is when someone isn't able to demo something it usually (or at least in my head) is stated in a simple short message like, "i wish these were available to hit somewhere close to me." or "i would like to try xxx clubs but no one within xxxx miles has them" whereas we get a long detailed post when someones order is messed up.

i look at it similarly to people. to hear most people talk they hate their jobs. everyone wants to be heard when things go wrong or they feel cheated or they just like to b*tch about a boss. the vast majority never talk about a good day unless its exceptional. just "another day" at work.

and maybe i am wrong there too, but i can see how longer detailed posts stand out in my mind more generic one liners. i do read more golf forums than just this, and to me, availability of the product seems to be the larger of the two complaints,

Last edited:
Back