World Golf Ranking 5/16/2011

It had a better field than the Aussie masters. Its still a PGA Tour event. Lee Westwood has won multiple times over the last 24 months on both tours. People ask for Luke, Tiger or anybody else and while I dont think Westwood is the best player in the world right now, it is very hard to make a case for ANYBODY else.

I agree with everything you've said. I am not try to make a case for somebody else being #1 over Westwood, I am just making the case that Westwood is a pretty soft #1. Which is more of an indictement of everybody else.

I really don't think there is a number one right now. There are 4-5 guys that I think would be a good pick to win any given tourney right now.

Agreed, but I the rankings dont count chances to win, just finishes (I think anyway). So Phil has 4 top 10s out of 11 events, 36% and Tiger 33%. I guess I am just not seeing how he is much better. I like Phil by the way...

How about 2 wins and one of them being a major. Shouldnt wins, 2nd places and top 10s be exactly how someone is ranked? Over the last 18 months he has more than TW in every one of those categories.

How about 2 wins and one of them being a major. Shouldnt wins, 2nd places and top 10s be exactly how someone is ranked? Over the last 18 months he has more than TW in every one of those categories.

Yes, but aside from the win, they are comparable as far as stats in 2011 and TW is dropping quickly in the rankings. Wont Phil therefore also drop in a similiar fashion, especially when his major stops being considered?

Yes, but aside from the win, they are comparable as far as stats in 2011 and TW is dropping quickly in the rankings. Wont Phil therefore also drop in a similiar fashion, especially when his major stops being considered?

You cant say aside from the win, because that is a big part of the rankings.
But they arent comparable. He has twice as many top 10s. The rankings dont care that Eldrick has decided he has been too busy to play in events.

I'm a huge Tiger fan and even I can't make a case for Phil not being ahead of him in the rankings. Phil is pretty much playing his normal way, as to where Tiger has fallen flat on his face.

I'm a huge Tiger fan and even I can't make a case for Phil not being ahead of him in the rankings. Phil is pretty much playing his normal way, as to where Tiger has fallen flat on his face.

If this is in reference to my argument, I didnt say TW should be ahead. My point is, the consensus seems to be that TW is no longer a top golfer, so why cant we say the same about Phil if he has had similar results.

You cant say aside from the win, because that is a big part of the rankings.
But they arent comparable. He has twice as many top 10s. The rankings dont care that Eldrick has decided he has been too busy to play in events.

If this is in reference to my argument, I didnt say TW should be ahead. My point is, the consensus seems to be that TW is no longer a top golfer, so why cant we say the same about Phil if he has had similar results.

See above post.

The current world rankings only show the consistency over recent months. Clearly there isn't a true best golfer in the world right now. The 3 at the top have been the most consistent for the last year and that is why they have reached their current ranking IMO. In the past we never really talked too much about the rankings because Tiger dominated and had such a big lead over everyone else.

The few people that I find surprising in the top 10 are Rory, Stricker and Casey. These 3 to me haven't been as consistent as the rest but I would have to assume they are just a little better than the average tour player. Clearly at the moment it doesn't take much to create movement in the rankings.

I really enjoyed looking through this site: http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/rankings/default.sps, it's interesting to look at the points lost and points gained, it's easy to see who's on the downward spiral and who's on the up tick!

I enjoyed this site a lot! But the fact is IMO there isn't really a 100% stand out guy that should be ranked number 1 and there is going to be a lot of good debate on who should or shouldn't be ahead of each other. Luke Donald is being very consistant here recently though. He is my number one, but we all have our opinions :D

I enjoyed this site a lot! But the fact is IMO there isn't really a 100% stand out guy that should be ranked number 1 and there is going to be a lot of good debate on who should or shouldn't be ahead of each other. Luke Donald is being very consistant here recently though. He is my number one, but we all have our opinions :D

Consistency here recently, you'd have to give the nod to KJ Choi, no?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Consistency here recently, you'd have to give the nod to KJ Choi, no?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Very true. He tends to fly a lot under the radar, but with his recent win he should start to climb soon.

Not to get into the same conversation you and JB are having, but because he has sucked for so long?

I'm not gonna try and argue because there is much more evidence to support your argument, but he finished 4th in the Masters! 4th doesn't suck!

I'm not gonna try and argue because there is much more evidence to support your argument, but he finished 4th in the Masters! 4th doesn't suck!

Again, his average finish is right around 20th in 2011, the time period during which is "sucked". Surely that warrants a top 30 ranking..... right?

Again, his average finish is right around 20th in 2011, the time period during which is "sucked". Surely that warrants a top 30 ranking..... right?

It depends on the events. Take one top event out of the mix and where is he? As you said, take Phil's win aside, do the same for TW's Masters finish. The guy has ONLY played in 6 tournaments. You have to play to be relevant. And the rankings go back quite a bit before...Check his stats for the last 18 months.

At least top 30. There is still a dominant golfer in him somewhere. I just hope to see him get out of his slump soon.

It depends on the events. Take one top event out of the mix and where is he? As you said, take Phil's win aside, do the same for TW's Masters finish. The guy has ONLY played in 6 tournaments. You have to play to be relevant. And the rankings go back quite a bit before...Check his stats for the last 18 months.

I am really regretting my comment about not considering Phil's win. Notwithstanding.. If you use all of his events from 2010 and all of 2011, and consider a 70th place finish for the Wells Fargo where he missed the cut, his average finish is 22.8. Not great, but not sucky by normal person standards

I am really regretting my comment about not considering Phil's win. Notwithstanding.. If you use all of his events from 2010 and all of 2011, and consider a 70th place finish for the Wells Fargo where he missed the cut, his average finish is 22.8. Not great, but not sucky by normal person standards

Outside the top 20, where most people think he belongs. Then factor in the fact that the guy has played in less tournaments than just about anybody on tour, and you can see why some think he should be outside of the top 30.

Back