Journey to Break 85

I played 36 on Saturday. By the end of the day I needed a drink (several to be honest). The range week I had did not translate at all. None of my shots really felt flush and that wouldn't have been a problem but I probably lost a good 20 shots or more each round to stupid crap off the tee. I never felt comfortable and it was just bad. I'm so disappointed. My only saving grace was my putting and I only had one bad 3 putt. I had a few others but like my day, the putts were riding the edges of the cups and went out instead of in. The Odyssey D.A.R.T is the real deal and it will only get better. It's like I hadn't missed a beat switching putters which is usually a big adjustment period for me.

Just a bad day and I will move on. Ill be back to the range tonight. Oh and I really needed a 7i on a lot of shots lol.

Keep your chin up buddy. I know you'll bounce back. Some days it just seems like fate is against you.

I have switched from chipping with an 8 iron to chipping with a 7 iron this year, and I'm finding it to be a very difficult transition. I know they say you should go lower loft because the ball will release better, but when I'm not hitting the fringe first (and with it, having the fringe eat the ball and barely leak onto the green), I find when I hit the green first, the amount lower trajectory and side spin cause too much of a direction change to be predictable. Do you have that problem?

It sounds like you have already come a long ways Hawk, I'm sure you'll be breaking 85 by about memorial day if you keep working this hard.

Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't had any problems with the ball not reacting (side-spin) correctly for me with the lower lofted chip shots. My issue is just getting my touch down so I can gauge what sort of stroke I need for certain distances. I'm used to a bit more height and less roll, so it is just a matter of getting my hands working with my brain and eyes.

Thanks Hawk. Question for ya, when you use your other irons for chipping, do you just use the same stroke and try to match distance with club? Do you only use it when you don't have much green to clear? Did I skim? lol.

Keep your chin up buddy. I know you'll bounce back. Some days it just seems like fate is against you.

Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't had any problems with the ball not reacting (side-spin) correctly for me with the lower lofted chip shots. My issue is just getting my touch down so I can gauge what sort of stroke I need for certain distances. I'm used to a bit more height and less roll, so it is just a matter of getting my hands working with my brain and eyes.

I'm using the least amount of loft I can to get the ball over the fringe, etc and rolling on the green. I don't really have a system as much as I'm relying on feel.

Posted via Tapatalk.

I've been hitting the range pretty hard the last few weeks. This Morgan Cup really has me motivated. I had some real fantastic days and real bad days. Never could stay consistant. TC was asking, why don't you take your good days to the course? Couldn't really answer that either. Part of the problem again, I truly had no clue what I was doing right when I was doing it right. Tough for me to admit but the more I thought about it, the more I knew I didnt know. I've always just assumed at some point it would click. So yesterday after some horrible shots I realized two things.

1. My head isn't in the right frame of mind. Golf was my escape from all the crap at home/work but I was turning my sanctuary into another job. Straightened that out lol.

2. I needed to listen to my instructor. I pulled out lesson notes and went to work. I'm just going to drill what he said and trust it. My set up feels awkward but when I look in the mirror its great. I'm having a hard time with his suggested takeaway but when I saw it on video I wasn't doing what he suggested. I was overdoing it. I'm confident I can break the single digit handicap and I'm confident I will do it when it's time.

I also need work on the putting but that will come. The DART is excellent for alignment and aim but I'm struggling with the touch right now. More work to be done but I'm going to keep plugging away. So much changing for me after the outing but I'm hoping it leads to a calmer future.

Keep it up, Marc. I know you have a lot going on in your life right now dude. I have no doubt that you are going to get yourself there if you concentrate on things your pro is telling you. It's hard to trust somebody, especially when you have to do things that don't feel comfortable at first.

Well, I haven't been in the updating mood as of late, but I suppose I can do an outing preview.

I'm continuing to work on an inside-out-ish swing and my new found set up routine. I'm finding quite a bit more consitency, especially with my driver. In fact, my driver is easily my strongest club right now. I never thought I'd say that. At the same time, my irons just aren't where I want them to be. I'm making much more consistent contact, but my accuracy just needs some fine tuning. I'm missing greens by small distances and it gets annoying. Mostly, it's annoying because my short game and putting is killing me.

Let me say this first. I'm playing better now than I ever have, but I'm beginning to expect more out of my game. In the past, I just hoped to hit the ball, then I just hoped to hit it in the air, now I want to hit it where I aim. That's a good thing, I suppose.

My transition to a different chipping method has been kind of difficult. Admittedly, I haven't spent a ton of time practicing it. What I'm finding is that I'm making cleaner, more consistent contact, but I have sort of lost my feel. My feel was probably the number one strength of my game for a long time. I'm just never really sure how far the ball is going to run, fly, etc when I'm near the green. I know that time will experience will teach me that, but it takes time and I'm impatient. Stupid feel.

Putting is a mystery right now. I'm working on basics right now. Set up, grip, posture, etc. The Seemore thread has really helped with that. My stroke seems to be pretty solid to me, but who knows. I'm using a slightly gated approach that feels comfortable. I'm using a face balanced putter and part of me wonders if that's part of the problem. Of course, I pulled out the toe-weighted blade last night and drained all kinds of putts on the indoor mat. That got me thinking even more, of course. Thinking is never a good thing and I wish that I'd missed every putt with that thing. Regardless of the issue, I just keep missing and it pi$$es me off. I'm not missing by much, but it doesn't really matter.

So, my negative post can summarized by this: I'm playing better than ever, but I want to play better! Hahahaha. I'm looking forward to WPB and hopefully putting up a couple decent scores.

Thanks Hawk for putting this update in. Your approach is what it needs to be! I found everytime I thought I got it, I followed up with a cr@ppy round or 2. All you can do is play to your strengths. Part of driving well is hitting from good lies which we don't always see and I think hitting from those is tougher than being behind a tree.

I was searching for the words as to the state of my game. I just kinda think it is where it is. I was getting so stressed out with the MC coming up and the outing I forgot how fun golf could be. I didn't shoot well yesterday but I played well if that makes sense. I have a plan but I'm gonna wait till after the outing.

I'm sure your putting will come around as with your short game. That feel will come back with practice. Good driving is a great start dude and I know it'll come together for you. You work hard enough my friend, results will show!

It's much different playing from the fairway for sure. Especially when they are mowed pretty tight. I got pretty good at hitting out of the rough!

I know the feel will come back after some reps (unlike Tiger, I actually play hehe), but I want it back now! I'm still having fun though :)

Thats good man! Cause I have to admit, I was getting pissed off and hated looking at my clubs. I was going to the range because I felt I had too. Tight lies are no joke, and I was really honestly trying to seek advice when I was talking about turf interaction lol. Instead I felt like a 42 handicap been golfing for 2 weeks trying to get fit for blades.

Tiger Woods has nothing on you Hawk. I think for us where we are at, the true test will be bringing what we practice to the course. Once we can do that consistantly, low scores for us my friend.

It's much different playing from the fairway for sure. Especially when they are mowed pretty tight. I got pretty good at hitting out of the rough!

I know the feel will come back after some reps (unlike Tiger, I actually play hehe), but I want it back now! I'm still having fun though :)

Wow, well, I am getting caught up on this thread of the past couple of weeks. First, Yoccos, a decent break from the grind of hard practice can do wonders for your morale. I know I've been there where I have been practicing all too much, and get a little burnt out. So, I try, at least once a week (usually saturdays), to simply goto the local course, with a cooler of adult beverages, and just play with some golf buddies purely for fun.

Hawk, I finally settled on a green-side chipping stroke this year. It took about a month to get a lot of my feel back with it. Stick with it, and pretty soon it will just be instinct for you.

almost broke the 85 on Saturday, shot at 86, hit the ball as good as I have in at least a year. and that 86 includes FIVE penalty strokes, including 2 on the same hole.

I'd love to play that one over again

Thanks man. I'm sure you're 100% right and I just gotta find the balance. Tough though, because I know the swing is there. Just gotta do it consistantly.

Wow, well, I am getting caught up on this thread of the past couple of weeks. First, Yoccos, a decent break from the grind of hard practice can do wonders for your morale. I know I've been there where I have been practicing all too much, and get a little burnt out. So, I try, at least once a week (usually saturdays), to simply goto the local course, with a cooler of adult beverages, and just play with some golf buddies purely for fun.

Hawk, I finally settled on a green-side chipping stroke this year. It took about a month to get a lot of my feel back with it. Stick with it, and pretty soon it will just be instinct for you.

Man!!!!!!!! Hopefully you get that chance again. Good job!

almost broke the 85 on Saturday, shot at 86, hit the ball as good as I have in at least a year. and that 86 includes FIVE penalty strokes, including 2 on the same hole.

I'd love to play that one over again

Man!!!!!!!! Hopefully you get that chance again. Good job!

yeah, first time in awhile that I had back to back birdies, played the par 3's terrible and with those penalty strokes, made me wonder what could have been...

but yesterday was back to reality 99 lol

Ahhhhhhhhh man! Time to ponder new sticks lol. I'm just kidding but it happens. Best to have a good attitude man and I'm sure you'll be back to 86 in no time.

yeah, first time in awhile that I had back to back birdies, played the par 3's terrible and with those penalty strokes, made me wonder what could have been...

but yesterday was back to reality 99 lol

Ahhhhhhhhh man! Time to ponder new sticks lol. I'm just kidding but it happens. Best to have a good attitude man and I'm sure you'll be back to 86 in no time.

just what I need, Ive replaced every club in my bag this year EXCEPT the irons....maybe thats the problem lol

and yeah, I have a good time no matter how Im playing!!

Haha, yeah this is probably the wrong place to be if you want reasons to keep you current clubs :) I kid I kid.

just what I need, Ive replaced every club in my bag this year EXCEPT the irons....maybe thats the problem lol

and yeah, I have a good time no matter how Im playing!!

Pulled in a 88 yesterday. Played a local course I haven't hit up in quite a few years. For some reason this course just eats my lunch. One of the best scores I've posted and it was playing about 6300. Wind in our face quite a few times. The greens were pretty flat but the speed was tough. My putter is really coming through for me but I've got some work on the real long puts. I was really impressed with the alignment again and I cannot wait to get more practice with it.

My iron shots were extremely solid and I'm taking more and more of the range on the course. I must continue to work on ball position in my set up because I come in so steep I think I need to be moving it back some. This usually helps. I've also been looking a lot at Lee Westwood and how he stands over his ball and his body position throughout the swing (thanks buddy) and it has been helping a lot.

I'm so excited about golf again and am anxious for the day to end at work so I can get back out there. Just really sucks I have some dates coming up this week and next that honestly, I really wish I had no part in.

Pulled in a 88 yesterday. Played a local course I haven't hit up in quite a few years. For some reason this course just eats my lunch. One of the best scores I've posted and it was playing about 6300. Wind in our face quite a few times. The greens were pretty flat but the speed was tough. My putter is really coming through for me but I've got some work on the real long puts. I was really impressed with the alignment again and I cannot wait to get more practice with it.

My iron shots were extremely solid and I'm taking more and more of the range on the course. I must continue to work on ball position in my set up because I come in so steep I think I need to be moving it back some. This usually helps. I've also been looking a lot at Lee Westwood and how he stands over his ball and his body position throughout the swing (thanks buddy) and it has been helping a lot.

I'm so excited about golf again and am anxious for the day to end at work so I can get back out there. Just really sucks I have some dates coming up this week and next that honestly, I really wish I had no part in.

awesome dude! Your getting so close to break 85. I have no doubt that come Morgan Cup time you will be playing the best golf of your life. After spending 8 hours on a range with you, and having played a round together, I have no doubt that you will be past this 85 barrier in no time.

Glad to hear about your excitement for golf. I still have some issues on long putting as well. Do you do any drills for your long putting, or do you simply do like me, and go around the practice green with a few balls, always putting at the furthest hole?

Thanks man. The range swing is showing up more and more on the course. A lot of it is set up and body position. It's just nice seeing improvement each time out and it's just feeling really comfortable at this point.

awesome dude! Your getting so close to break 85. I have no doubt that come Morgan Cup time you will be playing the best golf of your life. After spending 8 hours on a range with you, and having played a round together, I have no doubt that you will be past this 85 barrier in no time.

Thanks Mc!!! You know the best practice is I use some really good advice JB posted somewhere. I practice the 10 feet and in putts the most. While long putts help, they're just so hard to predict when the greens change throughout the round and from course to course. I figure if I can get my putts into that range, and then have that range be automatic, I wont need to worry about putting my 40 something foot putts to 1-2 feet. That would just be a bonus.

For the long putts, my practice putt consists of looking at the hole and taking a stroke. This kinda gives me a good reference point for when I address the ball.

Glad to hear about your excitement for golf. I still have some issues on long putting as well. Do you do any drills for your long putting, or do you simply do like me, and go around the practice green with a few balls, always putting at the furthest hole?

Great round Yoccos! I know how excited I would be to shoot an 88 at a certain course that seems to whoop my butt every time I play it. Glad to hear your irons and putting are going well. My coach really talked to me yesterday about the importance of practicing my putting. It's the part of the game that we can't ignore or we will never get the lower scores we want. Keep up the good work!!

Exactly! I wanted to go comment in your thread because I'll be looking at adding a 60* low bounce wedge to my bag :)

Great round Yoccos! I know how excited I would be to shoot an 88 at a certain course that seems to whoop my butt every time I play it. Glad to hear your irons and putting are going well. My coach really talked to me yesterday about the importance of practicing my putting. It's the part of the game that we can't ignore or we will never get the lower scores we want. Keep up the good work!!

Nicely done, broski! I've found that ball position a bit farther back has helped me quite a bit as well. Get your Toothy on and tear up Reunion dude.

Thanks buddy. It's in the plans for sure. I think Toothy and I might be long lost bro's. It's possible.

Nicely done, broski! I've found that ball position a bit farther back has helped me quite a bit as well. Get your Toothy on and tear up Reunion dude.

Back