Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was going to get one of these with a regular Serrano Adilla shaft (9.0) after a monitor session that found low spin, angle of about degrees and good impact/effective speed etc; but that got sold so I alternatively went with a used one with 10.5 loft with the stock Ping shaft, and hit it long and straight as long as I do not overswing. I actually am glad I went with the loft but am trying to lower the ball flight and reduce the very rare but troubling blocks to the right (probably as I am afraid to release as my normal shot is a slight draw). The club hit right is incredibly long as I have reached some par 5s that at 53 and a swing speed of 95-100 were out of my effective range and am averaging about 255 with it including about 10 yards of roll.

I am trying though to lower my spin and may stick that Adilla shaft in but looking for thoughts on alternatives for shafts that are mid bend, torgue less than 5.5 and might be equal or superior to the Adilla. [I have also considered tipping the current shaft 1 inch first as even though I may lose a few potential yards probably would average near the same but recognize that would also effect the weight slightly and may put a shaft extension on and just choke up when needed when I went with that route.]

Rum- what flex is the stock PING shaft?

Regular for what that is worth these days but should have added that!

I was going to get one of these with a regular Serrano Adilla shaft (9.0) after a monitor session that found low spin, angle of about degrees and good impact/effective speed etc; but that got sold so I alternatively went with a used one with 10.5 loft with the stock Ping shaft, and hit it long and straight as long as I do not overswing. I actually am glad I went with the loft but am trying to lower the ball flight and reduce the very rare but troubling blocks to the right (probably as I am afraid to release as my normal shot is a slight draw). The club hit right is incredibly long as I have reached some par 5s that at 53 and a swing speed of 95-100 were out of my effective range and am averaging about 255 with it including about 10 yards of roll.

I am trying though to lower my spin and may stick that Adilla shaft in but looking for thoughts on alternatives for shafts that are mid bend, torgue less than 5.5 and might be equal or superior to the Adilla. [I have also considered tipping the current shaft 1 inch first as even though I may lose a few potential yards probably would average near the same but recognize that would also effect the weight slightly and may put a shaft extension on and just choke up when needed when I went with that route.]

In terms of tempo are you slow, smooth, quick?
Steep, standard or flat attack?
Do you happen to have the spin numbers handy? Perhaps the launch angle as well?

In terms of tempo are you slow, smooth, quick?
Steep, standard or flat attack?
Do you happen to have the spin numbers handy? Perhaps the launch angle as well?

I'm actually curious about this as well. I have a G15 10.5* with a stock shaft (stiff) and my numbers were fairly high (~4000 rpm).

To answer your question tuna, I am: smooth, steep, spin ~4000, launch angle ~15*

The simple answer is do a comparison of the S vs. R flex to see what kind of #'syou get between the 2 options. The more complicated answer is get a fitting done to add some other shaft variables that you may not be considering
Regular for what that is worth these days but should have added that!

I'm actually curious about this as well. I have a G15 10.5* with a stock shaft (stiff) and my numbers were fairly high (~4000 rpm).

To answer your question tuna, I am: smooth, steep, spin ~4000, launch angle ~15*

The general line is that anything at ~4k rpm and above is usually because of a too steep swing flaw rather then the shaft it's self. Having never seen how you swing I'm not going to say that's it but you might be getting overly steep to crank it up.

Steep swings require tip stiff shafts. You don't need the help launching the ball up, a steep swing will do that for you (as well as put more spin on the ball) already and generally, off the rack shafts will be tip light to help get the ball up. As you have a smooth transition, you'll also need to find something that's easier to load with it's bend profile while staying tip stiff.

Any idea of the SS you're hovering around?

As a general note though, research can help narrow things down for you to start but a proper ballistic fitting is the only way to sort out the best shaft for you.

With the Serrano I was getting as low as 3000 with a launch of 12-13 degrees similar to what I got with a trial of i15. With the Ping in another monitor closer to 4000 with a launch of 14 or so and got similar numbers for whatever reason hitting a Titleist D3 9.5 with the stiff adilla shaft that is their most common. On all monitors and consistent with the range and course getting about 230-235 carry with a swing speed of 98-102 + 10-20 yards role but have hit a few "bombs" with the club that in the 255-265 range despite some wet conditions.

The Ping G10 is simply a hot head but one can get too much spin with it - not sure I will stick with it longterm but it is fun to hit and i have 30 days to return for full credit.

Also tried the new TaylorMade TP11 but in the monitor and range with the stock shaft in stiff it was all over the place and the reg Ping Shaft definetly feels stronger with more kick and the Serrano shaft was probably the best shaft i have tested in a long time in both stiff and regular but the 9 degree head with the stiff got too low of ball flight despite the monitor showing a 12-14 degree launch. The other head that is impressive I have hit is the Razr but I do not like the look or feel but is surely a quality golf club as some low handicapers love it.

For me i am pretty loyal to either Ping (always seem to be at least pretty solid clubs) or Titliest (most of my fairway and hybrid collection) in my woods unless I find something outstanding in another line.

Back