Struggling with Pace

MikeF

Reaction score
Handicap
Need a little advice please.

I use an old style blade putter as I really like the feel that it gives when putting.

My problem is that I am really struggling with pace control, I either leave it way short (more often than not) or race it by.

I am thinking that adding more weight to the putter head (with lead tape) may help me. At the moment the greens are pretty quick.

I don't want to resort to buying a new putter unless I really have to

Thanks

Have you tried this drill?

Place a 12x24 towel behind the hole. I like to miss 18-24 inches past the hole so that is where i place the center of the towel.
Put balls down at 3ft 6ft 10 ft 12Ft 15ft 18 ft 20ft
Starting at 3ft, either make it, or have it stop on the towel. Continue adding distance until you miss the towel. Start over
Hope that helps.

Thanks, will give it a go. The lead tape may help with the weight and I can always remove it if it doesn't

Haven't weighed it but it is very light. Tried a heavier putter on the putting green after my round today and it definatley felt nicer to me. I like my current putters feel, just not the weight if that makes sense. It just feels way too light

Lead tape is wonderful. I would try 3 one inch pieces. Then if you need more, 3 more. After that I would worry about CG and balance.
good luck

Try a one handed drill to find whih hand is more stable. Then putt with all of your grip pressure in that hand, and let the other hand just come along for the ride.

Try a one handed drill to find whih hand is more stable. Then putt with all of your grip pressure in that hand, and let the other hand just come along for the ride.

Lead tape will make a difference, I have it on my 8802 blade( the only club I've had for more than 15 yrs)

The one handed drill is a great drill. I often us it while I am waiting to putt. You may also want to not putt to a hole but try to putt to the fridge of the putting green. This will help you with the speed of the green. Putting to a hole will tend to tense you up. Just putting for speed will free you up. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike, I had the same problem with my previous putter. I just felt like I had to really swing it to get the ball rolling, and that's a recipe for disaster!

I experimented a bit with some lead tape, and it did help. You really need to practice with it though.

On a practicing note, I like to 'build' a box with 4 or 5 tees, and practice putting into the box. 1 point for every ball that ends up within the box, 2 points off for missing. Set yourself a points target, then try to beat it. This kinda replicates a bit of competitive pressure too.

Thanks for the tips :D

Putted a little better today but didn't feel confident at all with the short stick, so I have just ordered an Odyssey White Hot XG 9 to replace it

I like to switch up my grip sometimes to get my speed right. My favorite to help me out is putting backhanded. It just makes it weird and helps with pace, I don't know exactly why, but it works :D

I like to switch up my grip sometimes to get my speed right. My favorite to help me out is putting backhanded. It just makes it weird and helps with pace, I don't know exactly why, but it works :D

You mean right hand below left? like a left handers grip?

Putting can be so frustrating. I know i can putt, I practice on my green everyday and i know im straight. But you get out there and then you have breaks, and elevation changes...it's completely different.

I like a heavier putter too though, I think it helps on the longer lags, when i practice i just setup and try to get a feel from 20,30.50 feet. After awhile I start hitting it close, not really changing anything, just letting my putter feel it. It's so mental.

When I was having this problem last year, I tried putting with my eyes closed. It helped temendously. Take your mind out of the equation and just let your body determine how hard to putt.

Take a couple of practice swings with your eyes close. Step up to the ball and align yourself up (with your eyes open, of course). Then close your eyes and swing. Try not to think too much about how hard you need to hit the ball, just let your body determine the pace to get the ball to the hole.

I have a hard time maintaining the stiff arm triangle setup and pendulum stroke when putting longer putts. It works OK for short putts up to say 4 or 5 feet on any surface but for longer putts and especially on slower green surfaces I have gone back to a more right hand dominant putting style (right handed golfer). It is almost like a chip shot setup and stroke but with the putter, letting the right hand control the power and the length of the stroke and aiming the face of the putter at the target. It is too difficult to adapt to a lot of different green speeds with that pendulum stroke, at least for me. It works perfectly on super fast greens, even on longer putts, but since I don't always play on PGA quality greens it just doesn't work for me all the time. The revelation came to me after a bad day of putting when during that same round I chipped in twice and I thought to myself, I am chipping it closer than I can putt it. Why is that? The right hand focus is it. Along with a more athletic approach to the stroke and less of a mechanical movement. I went from 43 putts a few weeks ago to hitting 31 this past weekend and had 28 the other day. My distance control is improved by 100% at least, I have had only 2 three putts in the last 3 or 4 rounds.

Lots of good ideas here that are worth a try.

Something that will probably make a big difference that I do personally. Get a metronome (iphone has apps for it, i'm sure droid does too). You can find free versions of it as well.

Start with the setting at 57 and you want to start the swing on the first beat and hit on the second. That probably will seem slow, and you can make it a little faster, but don't go above 65ish. Probably will feel much different but will help with your distance.

Thanks again:D

My new putter has helped me, i feel so much more confident standing over putts with it. Even started to make a few now. Can't wait for the greens to start to speed up some more so I can really work on the pace and feel

Back