The Morgan Cup - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a gorgeous day. Hit balls for an hour before playing. My daughter's swing coach was there, he was my high school coach when disco was king. I had been hitting the ball pretty well, but of course he doesn't like my little Cornish Game Hen wing finish. So of course he chimes in with some advice and has me finishing different. I was really confident going into the day, then listened to him, went out on the course with his thoughts in my mind and played terribly for six holes. Played them in +7 and I don't think I hit a good shot. Said screw it, went back to what I've probably been doing for 25 years, and played the last 12 in +1, hitting 9 of the 12 greens in regulation, and missing 2 of the other 3 by a combined 10 feet. I'll be bringing the Cornish Game Hen wing finish with me to The Morgan Cup.

Par is 71. 42-37.

Kevin

Last edited:
Just started my glowball tournament. Course is pretty crowded and the weather is great. Mosquitoes are getting a little feisty though.

Just started my glowball tournament. Course is pretty crowded and the weather is great. Mosquitoes are getting a little feisty though.

Pfft. You want to see mosquitoes, come to Cheeseland in a month or two. You can start a round of golf all plump like Homer Simpson, and they'll drain you until you look like Mr. Burns.

Kevin

Sounds like a blast esox, can't wait to see that chicken wing. We tee off at 8:30 and it's going to be a hot gorgeous day!
I'll try and get some pics,

JB dialed me into a sick shaft for the R11, the attas. I was killing it.

Sounds like a blast esox, can't wait to see that chicken wing. We tee off at 8:30 and it's going to be a hot gorgeous day!
I'll try and get some pics,

JB dialed me into a sick shaft for the R11, the attas. I was killing it.

It's a Cornish Game Hen wing, junior. They're like little chickens.

What was 60% chance of rain for this morning is now just 10% until noon. Looks like men's club is going to be okay. You have to like that. Qualifying today with my Kiwi partner for the Bluecoat Championship, the season long two man best ball match play tournament.

Kevin

Last edited:
39-43 yesterday. Cannot put together two nines. I'm thinking about kicking the neighbor's dog. Giving it another go today with my wife and daughter. Scattered and isolated T-storms in the forecast. Hopefully very isolated and scattered. Temps in the high 70s. 8:46 tee time. Hoping the females move fast enough to practice for at least an hour before playing.

It's s grind, but somebody has to do it.

Kevin

Made it out to the Callaway demo day at the local course and all I can say is wow. These guys are putting out some serious equipment. The entire line from top to bottom was magnificent. Can't wait to see what I get to play, but it doesn't really matter as everything they have in this years line felt amazing. I was out there for about 3 hours hitting everything i could get my hands on.

We'll see how the wrist feels tommorrow. First time I have hit more than 20 balls in about a month.

I'm playing in another tournament in the New England PGA Series tomorrow, it's at Essex County Club which is north of Boston. It's a very challenging Donald Ross course that hosted the Curtis Cup last year (women's version of the Walker Cup). It's a par-70 that were going to be playing at 6200 yards or so, but from looking at the course of Google Earth, the greens are very small, should be a good test of my iron game. Here's a great writeup on the course, I can't wait to get out there and see the architecture and test my game.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/essex-county-club/

I've gotta tell you guys.. The closer this gets, and the more I see your signatures, the more I am kicking myself for not attempting to be a part of this.

You're going to have such a good time. I hope everyone is getting ridiculously excited... It's not terribly close, but with the outing completed, I have to think it's starting to feel like it's right around the corner.

I'm playing in another tournament in the New England PGA Series tomorrow, it's at Essex County Club which is north of Boston. It's a very challenging Donald Ross course that hosted the Curtis Cup last year (women's version of the Walker Cup). It's a par-70 that were going to be playing at 6200 yards or so, but from looking at the course of Google Earth, the greens are very small, should be a good test of my iron game. Here's a great writeup on the course, I can't wait to get out there and see the architecture and test my game.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/essex-county-club/

Good Luck Ary...course looks beautiful in the linked pictures.

Morgan Cup marathon training session.

39-43, 39-38, and another 11 holes of practice after the first 36 holes. ALL TODAY. Also played 18 Friday, and played 18 yesterday. Hit a lot of balls at the range and spent some time on the putting green practicing too. The 77 consisted of 3 doubles and 15 pars and was played solo in just over 2 hours. The 43 on the back of the first round was affected by my daughter having a crappy day on the course and irritating the crap out of me. I knew better was there, so I took her and my wife home and went back to the course. I bounced around the back nine for the extra eleven holes.

That's a lot of golf in three days for a husky old man. I'm turning into a freaking golf animal. An animal I tell you. I'm close to becoming a green hitting machine. Found about ten yards off the tee by putting a Tour Burner driver into play. Putted well with the Corza. Two 3 putts in all those 47 holes. Snuggled the ball right up to the hole all day, but never got a birdie to fall. That was kind of weird. I keep hitting greens and they'll start to go.

Kevin

Good luck Ary. Smoke 'em.

Kevin

That looks like a pretty fun course Ary. Greens definitely look small and there is plenty of trouble to hit into. Good luck.

I played several tournaments this weekend...

Friday Night: 9 Hole Glowball Event, We ended up getting 3rd @ -4. We had a bogey on a longer par 3 that took some wind out of the sails.
Saturday: 18 Hole Outing for a Radio Show. A friend who has played golf twice in '11 and myself were randomly paired with 2 guys. We shot -10, and I sunk 9/10 birdie putts.
Sunday: Matchplay League Round #2, I won 21 to 17. I played a friend who is fairly equal in skill to myself and managed to squeak out the W. I also witnessed a 151 yd ACE from a 40 (yes I wrote FORTY!) handicap in the group. It was the first ace I had seen, and it was pretty damn cool.

I have been working on my putting stroke and it has been paying off. I have been trying to keep the putter close to the ground throughout the stroke and I am getting better roll compared to my old stroke. I used to leave a lot of putts One-T short, but the ball is coming off hotter and isn't hopping. I normally would have a round here and there where I would putt lights out, but this makes 3 straight days of great putting. My game isn't as crisp as it was a month and half ago, but confidence is building...

Jealous of how much fun you all are going to have. Maybe next year.

Wow! Florida in August = brutal!

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I shot a 95 today

**I workabilitied that post using Tapatalk**

Much better day today on the champions, played with dr teeth and swfla who played the tips on the bear trap. Brave souls! I was paired ith Carsten and I had my best day of the trip. Finally got the putter going. Went from 45 putts on the squire to 30 today on the champions, I was draining putts. It felt good.

Few blowup moments- 3 strokes to get out of the green side bunker on 18... Make you want to puke... 89 on the day. With an 8 on 18, my single worst hole of the day.

Went par double par on the bear trap... Missing birdies on both par 3's (15 and 17) by inches. Had the par 3's numbers... Was +1 on the 4 par 3's--- par bogey par par.

See if we can carry it over to tomorrow's round in the haig.

Shot 86 (with a triple and quad on the front 46-40) on the Squire. Had a great match with TC. More on that later.

Our team finished T2 in the scramble. Sunk a good length putt to tie for the clubhouse lead on 18 only to be outdone by TC and his team. Well done and clutch. After he made the putt, he said he couldn't see anything, it was dark. :D

Shot 91 on the Champions (41-50). Played 15-18 from the tips. That stretch of holes was so hard today. I couldn't putt today. Had a blast with our group. Ended with a triple. Not really the way I wanted to end the weekend.

Got to play with ddec and Yoccos. Met them and rbelbin. We have a great team. Can't wait to meet ary and esox. I could watch rbelbin hit golf shots all day.

I'm tired. I needed a break from my deadline.

More soon.

Golf in florida is hot, really hot! Bermuda is a different grass to play and tricky, to chip and pitch.

I had a great time in FL for the THP Outing! It was a great warm up for the Morgan Cup in August. As others have said, it is going to be HOT and HUMID in FL in August.

I played with my Morgan Cup teammate coolbreeze on Saturday. I struck it pretty well and shot 76 on the Squire, which wasn't bad after finishing with a double. I had 11 reasonable looks at birdie and couldn't get anything to fall.

I struggled a bit on Sunday but managed to squeak out an 80 on the Champions course with three ugly doubles (2 due to mis-clubbing the par threes of the Bear Trap) and a few more missed birdie opportunities (including about six feet on 18 to shoot 79). This was my first time around this great track so I was pleased with the result. I'm looking forward to getting another shot at this course.

^ this man is lying. He didnt strike it "pretty well" on the squire. He PURED it around the golf course, and left 8 birdie putts 2 revolutions short. Whoever plays this fellow is s-c-r-e-w-e-d.

I had a great time in FL for the THP Outing! It was a great warm up for the Morgan Cup in August. As others have said, it is going to be HOT and HUMID in FL in August.

I played with my Morgan Cup teammate coolbreeze on Saturday. I struck it pretty well and shot 76 on the Squire, which wasn't bad after finishing with a double. I had 11 reasonable looks at birdie and couldn't get anything to fall.

I struggled a bit on Sunday but managed to squeak out an 80 on the Champions course with three ugly doubles (2 due to mis-clubbing the par threes of the Bear Trap) and a few more missed birdie opportunities (including about six feet on 18 to shoot 79). This was my first time around this great track so I was pleased with the result. I'm looking forward to getting another shot at this course.

You are a beast!!! That course ate me for its lunch! You have an amazing swing and Team Paradise has got to fear your game!

Haha...I don't know about all that, but thanks for the kind words. It was a fun weekend and I enjoyed meeting you both. For those not fortune enough to play with Thainer, he's got some game as well!

It's still early and there's lots of time before the Morgan Cup so hopefully those birdie putts that came up a few revolutions short will be getting to the hole at Reunion in August.

I've heard good things about AHA's game, TC is playing phenomenal, I think team Paradise is a little on edge after this weekend.

AHA well have to get a round in sometime this summer, were in Columbus Ohio not far from Pittsburgh at all. Maybe well have some attas shafts to play with! Man i loved that thing this weekend. I hit so many fairways on Sunday with it, today on the haig was not as good a driving day. I put myself into so much trouble without the attas confidence off the tee.

Putter started dropping putts Sunday and today, had at least 6 putts lip out today. Off to pack and fly out, thanks for having us Florida!

Weighed myself this morning. I lost five pounds yesterday playing 47 holes. LOL. I should play 47 holes holes for the next two weeks straight and lose a quick 70. I'm now down 25 total. I've lost a large Thanksgiving turkey. Still have a long way to go because I was, and still am, muy grande, like almost Guy Boros grande. Looking to lose at least another turkey, maybe a slightly smaller bird. Or maybe two good size standing rib roasts. Like 8 or 9 ribs each.

Seriously, I want to thank JB and Morgan for putting this thing together. This has really motivated me. The Morgan Cup may just be saving my life. I've been sleeping much better without sugar and unneeded carbs in my system, and the tendinitis in my elbow has cleared up because I'm swinging better while carrying less weight. And best of all, I'm not sluggish in the morning. Today I had to dig around in my closet to find a belt to keep my pants up while working when I have my heavy tape measure in my pocket. Ironically, it's a Fat Max. I'm sure the weight is going to get harder to lose going forward, but I'm going to try and remain a salad and protein eating machine. A machine I tell you.

Mrs. Esox has been astounded and delighted by my progress. Look at her over there. I'm going to assume she's lusting after me.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back