Tiger Woods Press Conference

Oh I wasn't taking shots. That was an actual question. I didn't know if it was starting to skew older since he has been on tour for so long.

Do you think the video games help his demo skew younger?

I don't think it changes however long he's been on tour. As people get older, they generally wise up and see all is not as it seemed previously. Kind of like politics.

The cursing...slamming his club down....ignoring fans all together....I've seen it at East Lake over and over. It's unbelievable. As I said I used to love Tiger...I thought Phil was goofy. At least Phil smiles and thanks the fans over and over when at a tournament. He acts like a jerk. There would be no Tiger without the fans....no $.....no fame....no great lifestyle but he rarely even makes notice they are there.

all good points no argument here

I don't think it changes however long he's been on tour. As people get older, they generally wise up and see all is not as it seemed previously. Kind of like politics.

So your thought is that Tiger's older (agewise) fans have jumped ship since the Turkeyday Travesty while the younger fans are sticking around. I can see that.

I was thinking that the fans that watched Tiger from day 1 are getting older so his demographic might shift with their age shift while the younger fans start to gravitate more towards Ricky Fowler/Rory McIlroy/etc.

TC: "So Tig, what was it like? Banging all those broads? I imagine it was awesome. Is that what fuels your fist-pump?"
ETW: "The golf course looks good. My golf swing feels good. I like my chances."
TC: "That's great. So when you and Stevie Williams are out cruising the local IHOP at 2:00am how do you choose from all the choice tail?"

et cetera, et cetera, et cetera....

I just saw this. Great stuff!

Keep in mind that this is not my opinion, but based on viewership, and other things it has been classified as 12-29.

You clearly have not heard though....
Tiger is Back! :alien:

Your kidding right?
Club slamming
Swearing over and over
Dishonesty
Ignoring fans altogether
No signing of autos (unless he hits them with a drive)

Im guessing you have not seen him play live for any extended period of time. Now this is not necessarily my opinion, but many feel this way. Selfishness and Jerk kind of go hand in hand.

When you follow him you better have a Navy background because if you don't you will hear words that will make you blush.....constant gd this gd that.....it's awful. The crowds will leave Tiger one day and his kids will know the truth about what daddy did to mommy....and he'll have his money and that's about it to grow old with. Did you see David Toms' win this past weekend....His son runs onto the green to hug daddy....daddy is his hero. His wife respects and loves him and his daughter wants to grow up and meet someone like daddy. That's the guys I now pull for on Tour. Tiger could never play another round and I wouldn't miss him a bit. (my wife would be shocked I said that....)

So your thought is that Tiger's older (agewise) fans have jumped ship since the Turkeyday Travesty while the younger fans are sticking around. I can see that.

I was thinking that the fans that watched Tiger from day 1 are getting older so his demographic might shift with their age shift while the younger fans start to gravitate more towards Ricky Fowler/Rory McIlroy/etc.

No, I think he was losing fans as they got older before that. That event triggered a lot of fandom shift, but again, the people in his demographic got older before that happened.

Guy has fallen from grace and world rankings like a stone but his popularity is still unmatched. 14 pages in a forum in less than a day just on a press conf.

He's not who he used to be nor will he ever be imo but he's still most popular guy in world and people still root like hell for him. We'll probably never see in our lives another golfer that will due what Tiger did. A big part is the talent that is on tour now is amazingly deep. When previous tourney winners from prior year or two can't even keep their card and your getting more and more athletes in the game dominance by one person will not happen.

Something like last 10 majors all different players no repeats. YIKES!

We'll probably never see in our lives another golfer that will due what Tiger did. A big part is the talent that is on tour now is amazingly deep. When previous tourney winners from prior year or two can't even keep their card and your getting more and more athletes in the game dominance by one person will not happen.!

Keep in mind that they said the EXACT same thing about Jack.

TC: "So Tig, what was it like? Banging all those broads? I imagine it was awesome. Is that what fuels your fist-pump?"
TC: "That's great. So when you and Stevie Williams are out cruising the local IHOP at 2:00am how do you choose from all the choice tail?"

et cetera, et cetera, et cetera....

Lmao! Rep added for that post.

Keep in mind that they said the EXACT same thing about Jack.

Exactly right and then a dominant player came along...another great player will come along in our lifetimes.

It was either that or show one of the 5,948 replays of The Big Break. haha

What a total waste of airtime.

I would rather watch the Big Break

Guy has fallen from grace and world rankings like a stone but his popularity is still unmatched. 14 pages in a forum in less than a day just on a press conf.He's not who he used to be nor will he ever be imo but he's still most popular guy in world and people still root like hell for him. We'll probably never see in our lives another golfer that will due what Tiger did. A big part is the talent that is on tour now is amazingly deep. When previous tourney winners from prior year or two can't even keep their card and your getting more and more athletes in the game dominance by one person will not happen.

Something like last 10 majors all different players no repeats. YIKES!

True, but how many posts are positive vs negative ?

Exactly right and then a dominant player came along...another great player will come along in our lifetimes.

We will see but Jack didn't have the same dominance tiger did I don't think not in his first 8-10 yrs. Jack had longevity too. Look at talent pool as well there was definitely different tiers just no where near as deep as today.

I'm going on record you will not see year over year dominance that Tiger had over 8 yr stretch again. We will see in time but its hard to imagine with so much money in the game its begging for talent to come and take it.

Mostly negative, although I wouldn't expect anything less until he starts winning again and it will be years before everyone can put what he did in the past, IN THE PAST! Some people just can't let go.....

True I was just commenting on popularity doesn't always mean well loved. Some say he's got more fame now than before as half love him and other half hate him. Women especially who could care less like my wife now see him on TV says I hope he loses...yikes

We will see but Jack didn't have the same dominance tiger did I don't think not in his first 8-10 yrs. Jack had longevity too. Look at talent pool as well there was definitely different tiers just no where near as deep as today.

I'm going on record you will not see year over year dominance that Tiger had over 8 yr stretch again. We will see in time but its hard to imagine with so much money in the game its begging for talent to come and take it.

Jacks competition wasn't anything like Tigers' is today! NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Your kidding right?
Club slamming
Swearing over and over
Dishonesty
Ignoring fans altogether
No signing of autos (unless he hits them with a drive)

Im guessing you have not seen him play live for any extended period of time. Now this is not necessarily my opinion, but many feel this way. Selfishness and Jerk kind of go hand in hand.

A heard this stroy second hand but from a trusted source. In a practice round a couple of years back Tiger hit several shots to a green. A marshall picked up one of the balls and gave it to a 9 or 10 yo kid standing there. The kid was beaming. Stevie comes down and starts yelling at the marshall and demanded the ball back from the kid while Tiger stood about 20 yards away completely disinterested. :angry:

I agree on TV he's good for golf but he is a complete POS.

Youre in luck. Since we've been home from the outing Ive seen it on tv about 100 times.

Lol I'm actually glad as my wife turned off my record of that show

Jacks competition wasn't anything like Tigers' is today! NOT EVEN CLOSE!

That is funny to me....I am going to go out on a limb and say that you did not watch a ton of golf during Jack's prime right? While there may be more depth today, the talent that was there was incredibly good at the top. Some would say at the top it was WAY better.

Take a look at the major wins as well as the 2nd places in majors and see how long Jack did it for. Sure he had longevity, but to speak of that, take a look at the pace they are both on for the record. TW was dominant, no question about it. Might still get back and be dominant again too. But to talk in absolutes is absurd. How in the world do you know if we will see dominance like that again? They said the EXACT same thing when Jack was there and before that and before that....There will always be domination.

I love when people speak in absolutes.

Ironically many would say that TW and Jack have another thing in common besides the wins....They are both incredibly boring in interviews and neither dealt all to well with fans.

Fanatics and fandom never cease to amaze me. It is what makes the world go round. While I have no opinion one way or the other, I am still shocked by the constant "sticking up" for a guy that acts like he does about his fans....But in the end, demographics (age) play a HUGE role in this and when you break down those numbers it is quite staggering. Some people look at things differently than others and while his actions (both on the course and off) are fine for some, others find them ridiculous.

I think some of it is a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts (i'm only going down this road to justify the 5 minutes i wasted reading through the past 12 pages of nothingness to see if anything interesting was said at the presser). Just using this board, this thread, as a small sample one can see there is a contingent that is fiercely with him and a contingent that is fiercely against him. One side says something (or a couple somethings) against him, so the other side gets upset feels obligated to defend him, and round and round we go. Or vice versa, one side sings his praise and the other side gets annoyed feels they need to critize him. Both sides can make fair points, so the argument never ceases.

Ironically many would say that TW and Jack have another thing in common besides the wins....They are both incredibly boring in interviews and neither dealt all to well with fans.

It's funny because when you watch Jack, Arnie, and Gary at the Par 3 contest you can see how great Arnie and Gary Player are with the fans. It's awkward watching Jack try to either force that interaction or just ignore them.

Back