What Oban Devotion in a G15 9*

glibwort

Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking for some advice on what Devo to put into my 9* G15. I have read a lot of posts on these shafts and would really like to hear from some of you who have tried this combo.

My SS is probably around 105 and I don't know if I should go for the Devotion 6 or 7, and whether 04 or 05 flex. Some posts say that the 6 is ok if it has been tipped by 1/2", others say that I should be looking at a 7 and some say it is too low launching with very little spin. I have no opportunities available to me to try any demos so I'm really depending on advice that I can find online.

I would say that I have quite an aggressive downswing, if that helps. Cheers.:confused2:

I am looking for some advice on what Devo to put into my 9* G15. I have read a lot of posts on these shafts and would really like to hear from some of you who have tried this combo.

My SS is probably around 105 and I don't know if I should go for the Devotion 6 or 7, and whether 04 or 05 flex. Some posts say that the 6 is ok if it has been tipped by 1/2", others say that I should be looking at a 7 and some say it is too low launching with very little spin. I have no opportunities available to me to try any demos so I'm really depending on advice that I can find online.

I would say that I have quite an aggressive downswing, if that helps. Cheers.:confused2:

Too bad you can't demo them both. Have you tried contacting Ping or the shaft maker?

Morning,

If you're hovering in the 105 range, I'd stick with the 04. The Devotion requires an aggressive downswing to load the shaft and 105 just touches the botton rung of the 05 flex. If you end up being slower then that when fatigued you won't load the shaft properly and the performance will go way down hill.

Devotion 7 is quite low launching with very little spin. It's basically in line with a Proforce V2 96 gram or a Diamana Ahina. Some people have actually ended up with less spin with the Devo7 then the Ahina on various message boards but take that with some salt. As you go lower in the Devo line, the launch and spin come up a bit. A 4 or 5 is a mid spin/mid launch shaft, 6 is mid launch/low spin, 7 is low/low. 8 actually goes back up to low-mid for both spin/launch as it's intended for fairway use.

My inclination is to say to look at the Devo 6 but that will depend on how much you're trying to cut off your spin or launch since the G15 is close to a mid spin/mid launch head I believe.

Ive looked at those shafts and my swing speed is about 112 to 116. The only thing that concerned me about the shaft is the high torque (3.5) for such tip stiff and high kick specs

Morning,

If you're hovering in the 105 range, I'd stick with the 04. The Devotion requires an aggressive downswing to load the shaft and 105 just touches the botton rung of the 05 flex. If you end up being slower then that when fatigued you won't load the shaft properly and the performance will go way down hill.

Devotion 7 is quite low launching with very little spin. It's basically in line with a Proforce V2 96 gram or a Diamana Ahina. Some people have actually ended up with less spin with the Devo7 then the Ahina on various message boards but take that with some salt. As you go lower in the Devo line, the launch and spin come up a bit. A 4 or 5 is a mid spin/mid launch shaft, 6 is mid launch/low spin, 7 is low/low. 8 actually goes back up to low-mid for both spin/launch as it's intended for fairway use.

My inclination is to say to look at the Devo 6 but that will depend on how much you're trying to cut off your spin or launch since the G15 is close to a mid spin/mid launch head I believe.

Hi, thanks for the input.

I have been doing upper body exercises lately and it may be that I am in better shape than I was when I got fitted for my clubs originally, hence the indecision.

From what I can gather the 6 needs to be tipped as they can be a bit under flex. I also read that tipping a 04 brings it up to somewhere above S in the Serrano say. My whole reason behind doing this is that I don't feel that the Serrano is giving me the best that the head is capable of delivering, especially after the numerous posts I have seen from others using shaft upgrades. I am generally one of the longest hitters in fours that I play in, and I love hitting my driver, so I am on a quest to put in the shaft for the G15.

My gut feeling is to follow your advice and stick with the 6 though I don't know if the g15 is mid launch, I get some quite high launch angles even with the 9*. My main question, I guess, is if I do stick with the 6 (I am 54 and not gonna get any younger) how much do I get it tipped? I like distance, and don't we all, but what I am really after is more consistency.

Just to touch on what you said about the 7, I read somewhere about one guy who went from a 7 back to a 6 and couldn't believe the difference it made, and how much happier he was.:clap:

p.s. I play my driver at 44.5"

I'd start with tipping it half an inch to an inch. If you can, see what CPM the shaft comes out to before you install it as that will let the club builder know how much to tip it to begin with. You could also get Ping WRX to do the work for you which would sort the tipping issue out pretty quick.

From my expierence I didn't have any luck what so ever with the 7. It was a pretty signifigant drop in spin and height, the ball just couldn't stay up. Moving to the 6 sorted that all out pretty quickly.

I'd start with tipping it half an inch to an inch. If you can, see what CPM the shaft comes out to before you install it as that will let the club builder know how much to tip it to begin with. You could also get Ping WRX to do the work for you which would sort the tipping issue out pretty quick.

From my expierence I didn't have any luck what so ever with the 7. It was a pretty signifigant drop in spin and height, the ball just couldn't stay up. Moving to the 6 sorted that all out pretty quickly.

Hi, I guess that means that the fitter can tell what the CPM of an unfitted shaft is right? With my SS and tempo what kind of number should I be looking for, 260-270 I wouldn't have a clue. I read somewhere that different numbers can suit different individuals.

Looking at your comment on the 7, what kind of number would you say i need to keep the ball in the air longer? The PING dealer here says he can get the shaft in and then do the work here.....hmm? Sending it in for WRX to do the work may be an option if I don't mind being without my driver for weeks. The main thing is getting this right first time without ever being able to hit the damn club until it's all over and done.

If I tipped it 1/2" and left it at 45" (me liking it at 44.5") then I guess I could try it out and later take another 1/2" off either end, does that make sense.

Ive looked at those shafts and my swing speed is about 112 to 116. The only thing that concerned me about the shaft is the high torque (3.5) for such tip stiff and high kick specs

Hi, I don't think that I, personally, would put too much thought into the torque numbers when choosing a shaft. It is my understanding that different OEMs take their readings using weights on the shafts and that the amount of weight can differ from one manufacturer to another.

Since starting this thread I have seen similar comments regarding the CPM readings given by OEMs. At the end of the day maybe you just have to hit the ball and see how far it goes, and in what direction or, do what I'm doing, ask others who have already done it and get their advice.

Back