TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

You are going to love them!!!! I know what you mean about soleing the club. I always try to keep the toe down, so I'm soleing it right, I think... LOL I've got my distance back, it seems anyways. Enough that I'm close to my other clubs without having the little fade any more. Everyonce in a while it peeks out, but not too often. But then again, I've only played 3 rounds with them.

On a side note: I do want to get better grips for them. I'm not really liking the stock grips. We will see in a couple weeks.

Went back to the range today to work on distance. I closed the club face a little bit and got my distance back. Still had great ball flight but I got my 8 iron back to the 150-160 mark and my 9 iron to 140-150. I must have had the club face open a bit that kept me from getting my distance. Still enjoy hitting these clubs. I go to the range to hit 150-200 balls and I never get to my driver! I love hitting these irons.

Worked a little on drawing the ball into the greens and these clubs work wonders for that! I can not wait to keep working on this so I can get 100% accurate with the shot. For now I will keep with my straight shots to the pin.

I sent a message to the taylormade rep if he had any idea if my irons are on schedule. He said as far as he knows everything is good and will let me know for sure later today. So hopefully I have irons in my hands tomorrow and can finally play these beautiful irons!

Slider I feel your pain!!

Went to the range again today at lunch. Hit another 50 ball bucket. Again I made sure I was the correct distance from the ball. Keeping my toe down. And sure enough, no blades today with the 5 iron. I did blade one with the 9 iron, but that's cuz I lifted my head as a jet roared by. Man, they come out of no where. The feedback you get with these are amazing. I think they are a little forgiving. Meaning, you can tell when you don't hit the sweet spot but the ball isn't too far off and still looks like a good shot, not counting blading the ball. The head size difference from my R7's isn't even noticeable any longer. I really like looking down on the thin top line.

Puttin4bird and I spent some time on the range Friday while everyone was at their lunch break. We were hitting some blade irons. Jake looked at me and said, "Luke, you can really hit blades". We were hitting 6 irons. I replied that yes, I sure could but why on earth would I want to. I'm sorry, but mishits go nowhere and I would never want to be penalized like that on a golf course.

I hope you guys "grow" into these like you hope to. I would've leaned towards the MC's.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I hope you guys "grow" into these like you hope to. I would've leaned towards the MC's.

TC

Are you able to give us a side by side comparison? Pros/Cons of both clubs MC's to MB's? What are you missing by not going to the MC's?

I know it will take a bit to get really comfortable with them. But heck so did my first set of clubs that were hand me downs. I really like these clubs. And am glad that I chose them. I was already premanissing that I would lose some strokes at first, but i'm still around where I was. But that's cuz of chipping with my new wedges, well part of it anyway. I think that if someone believes that they can't do something then they can't do it. If you go into the mindset that these babies are beautiful and keep the thoughts of eveyone telling you that you can't hit them out of your head. Focus and Swing away, you will be fine. It's my game to lose. LOL

I know it will take a bit to get really comfortable with them. But heck so did my first set of clubs that were hand me downs. I really like these clubs. And am glad that I chose them. I was already premanissing that I would lose some strokes at first, but i'm still around where I was. But that's cuz of chipping with my new wedges, well part of it anyway. I think that if someone believes that they can't do something then they can't do it. If you go into the mindset that these babies are beautiful and keep the thoughts of eveyone telling you that you can't hit them out of your head. Focus and Swing away, you will be fine. It's my game to lose. LOL
I love your attitude BF, I know you'll get there. If someone has a decent swing and a lot of confidence they can really get a lot out of these irons. Keep up the good work!

I finally had a chance to hit these on lunch today and came away really impressed. I'm playing the Nike VR Pro combos so I had some basis for comparison. I picked up an 8 iron as that is the highest blade in my set and immedietely felt that the head was heavier than the VR Pro. The topline was a bit thicker than the VR Pro's as well, but not a big difference. I put a couple of pretty good swings on them and they are a very nice feeling club. They felt a bit muted compared to the Nike's, not sure if I was a fan or not. I was hitting them inside on a mat so I cant really draw any serious conclusions from a short session in perfect conditions haha.

If the Nike's ever let me down, I'll definitely be looking to TMaG for a nice combo set of MB and MC's I think. Also, kudos to those who can hit the longer clubs in this set, my hands still hurt a bit catching a few thin!

Played 9 after work again last night. I shot a 44. Couldn't get my driver to come around. But I was hitting my irons pretty well. I had 4 terrible tee shots. Which made it hard on some of my second shots with punches out and what not. I still hit 4 GIR. only missed one GIR of my good tee shots. I still have to say that these babies feel really nice! I'm so glad the my ball has stopped fading and rolling all the way thru the greens. No bladed balls in this round! If I focus, I have no issues. I'm getting a little more at ease with every swing of an iron. I'm hoping the rain goes away so I can game them tonight for the first time in league play. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Just got the call an hour ago my irons are in! I'm going right after work to pick them up (trading in the nike's), and because it rained a lot today and yesterday the range it closed but course is open to walkers, which means I'm putting them in play first day out!

Really excited. Glad to hear everyone is liking their irons.

Just got the call an hour ago my irons are in! I'm going right after work to pick them up (trading in the nike's), and because it rained a lot today and yesterday the range it closed but course is open to walkers, which means I'm putting them in play first day out!

Glad you got your sticks!!! Enjoy breaking them in. Your going to love them!!

Played 9 after work again last night. I shot a 44. Couldn't get my driver to come around. But I was hitting my irons pretty well. I had 4 terrible tee shots. Which made it hard on some of my second shots with punches out and what not. I still hit 4 GIR. only missed one GIR of my good tee shots. I still have to say that these babies feel really nice! I'm so glad the my ball has stopped fading and rolling all the way thru the greens. No bladed balls in this round! If I focus, I have no issues. I'm getting a little more at ease with every swing of an iron. I'm hoping the rain goes away so I can game them tonight for the first time in league play. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks for the update BF, I hope that rain is gone so you can play after work tonight! It sounds like you're really progressing though, keep up the good work!

Go get em Slider! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on these, come back and tell us all about it!

Well, league is canceled due to TORNADO WARNINGS!! So, next week I will game them in league first time. Stupid weather.

I'll give my first impressions after not getting to warm up or hit them before getting on the course. Unfortnately as well, the weather was 55, wet, and 20-25mph winds so ball flight was hard to tell if I'm drawing the ball too much, or I'm riding the wind.

First impression when I got them: They are a sharp looking iron, very very clean look at address and a small sole inspires confidence in the thickest rough. Remember my irons before this were Nike Victory Red Split Cavity irons so most of my initial reactions are based on the differences from that iron.

First swing with the iron and my first feel was how well the weight is distributed across the iron as a whole. It feels like one piece, where my Nike I felt a little more weight in the head rather then evenly throughout. The club seems to cut through the air better because of this and without effort it seems like you are generating more clubhead speed.

Feel off the clubhead is just as promised and as before, 'like butter'. At address the clubhead is smaller then other clubs and you get this sense that the club is longer then it really is and is just an adjustment period.

I was playing at times a 5+ yard draw on shots and not sure if its an adjustment to the club, or when they made them .5" long they didn't check to move the lie back to standard. I was really tempted to go back today and have them check and bend, but I think its probably safe to keep playing with them for a few more rounds and get them on the range today and really see what is going on. It's so hard to tell when you have wind swirling to make any kind of decision.

I'm more then happy with these irons. I agree 100% with previous posts that you don't have to be a scratch golfer to play these irons. While these are blades, they are much more forgiving then what Titelist is offering in this category. When I tried their blade I didn't like how it felt off the face or the flight. Their CB iron was much better and I think their CB iron compares to the TM MBs. Which says a lot to TM since this is a blade and has a feel of a cavity back. Distance wise at first glance I may be around 5 yards short my previous irons, but thats ok since I wasn't needing distance on my irons, and I think in time as I adjust to these I will regain that.

I was considering trying to take some time off today to go hit these, and still might leave an hour early! I have a match saturday and need to start dialing these in or I can be in trouble!

More to come!

Great write up Slider! I totally agree that you don't have to be a scratch golfer to hit these. I'm living proof. Ha ha But yes they are pretty sweet to look at during address. And cut thru the grass like you wouldn't believe. Glad you like your sticks so far.

Nice write up slider! In the end, the only thing that matters is finding what works best for you. I hope it's the MB's, they are gorgeous. Congrats again on the new sticks, new sticks are great.

Nice write up Slider. These were easily my favorite of the TP line. I hit the MC's and didn't care for them at all and the CB's were pretty good.

I just got a groupon notice for an hour session at golftec here in Milwaukee for $60. I will be able to get full feedback on how I am hitting these clubs. I am sure I will start a new thread on my experience. I am going to try and get in this weekend.

Awesome write up Slider and great updates by all. I'm really happy you are enjoying the clubs BF. Keep up the hard work!

Sorry for the delayed response, but great write up Slider! How did your match go on Saturday? I hope the MBs helped you notch a W there buddy.

Sorry for the delayed response, but great write up Slider! How did your match go on Saturday? I hope the MBs helped you notch a W there buddy.

I won my match 3-1. At one point I was up 4 through 6! I wasn't playing that great and neither was he. The irons performed great. The adjustment period I think is over, now its just really knowing what these irons will go for me. The distances overall are very similar to my nike's. These do a good job of planing out on shots and cutting through the wind.

I won my match 3-1. At one point I was up 4 through 6! I wasn't playing that great and neither was he. The irons performed great. The adjustment period I think is over, now its just really knowing what these irons will go for me. The distances overall are very similar to my nike's. These do a good job of planing out on shots and cutting through the wind.
Nice job on the win! I'm glad you're liking the MBs performance in the wind, I too play them in a lot of wind around here and have come to like how they don't balloon on me. The thing that I personally like best about the MBs is the way they cut right through the turf, there is so much less drag than anything I've used, even out of some pretty thick rough they just rock.

I have realized that I can swing away with these. The stiff shaft has helped me hit the ball straighter with my irons. NO MORE FADE! I'm still right at the 44 mark for 9. Shouldn't be long before I have my total confidence in these clubs. When you hit them on the sweet spot it feels oh so good! Miss hits send a shock through your arms. I'm really starting to hit these like I'd hoped, but still haven't been scoring. Ever seem like you played well but couldn't score. That's how I have been feeling the last few rounds.

I have realized that I can swing away with these. The stiff shaft has helped me hit the ball straighter with my irons. NO MORE FADE! I'm still right at the 44 mark for 9. Shouldn't be long before I have my total confidence in these clubs. When you hit them on the sweet spot it feels oh so good! Miss hits send a shock through your arms. I'm really starting to hit these like I'd hoped, but still haven't been scoring. Ever seem like you played well but couldn't score. That's how I have been feeling the last few rounds.

It'll get better, I'm really glad you are enjoying the new sticks. If you prefer this type of club I haven't hit anything better to date.

Back