Cleveland Golf Demo Day Review

I didn't hear much of that on Sat unfortunately man but what I did hear yesterday was that sound. It felt/sounded deeper than the CG7's I had and something I really liked. Really sweet clubs!

I felt even worse for that ball

This and that 'thwack' sound you get on a well struck shot are what really stands out with these irons

Agreed. When I hit them again at the Outing they just consistently perform and play the same way every time for me. It's hard not to notice that continued consistency

I didn't hear much of that on Sat unfortunately man but what I did hear yesterday was that sound. It felt/sounded deeper than the CG7's I had and something I really liked. Really sweet clubs!

I saw him absolutely murder a Niblick once. It was on a tee shot 135-140 yards in to the wind and he crushed it. I felt bad for the club.

I remember that shot... I wish I could translate some of that controlled violence into my driver swings these days. I'm having mucho problems with tempo and my mental state on the tee.

Being in the Cleveland thread, I'll try to get this back on topic by mentioning that the niblick is a strong candidate for being the 14th club in my bag. I was surprised how easy it is to hit full shots with, and those green side shots are really simple to hit too.

Any other guys hit the HB3's? Sounds like most were trying the standard iron sets. I saw Cheffor's review and then Patty & KellyBo. Just doing a little research and these look interesting.

I used this (Draw) for the short drive contest haha. But really I've hit this one before and I really liked it. In the hitting bay I was a bit longer than the 310 and it seems to draw a little more. It's longer length wise in the shaft but I didn't notice it at address. Pretty forgiving imo and launch fairly high.

No XL270 Driver? :disapointed:

Here are my thoughts on the 290 from my visit to THP HQ in April.

Cleveland Launcher Ultralite 290 - JB seemed to think that would be a good match for me. I will admit that I was a bit hesitant to try it out, which is pretty stupid since I’ve had great success with the fairway wood. I had the same doubts at the last outing and I'm not quite sure why. The one I tried had the same flex code that the Ultralite fairway wood has, which is a 43R 7711 (I think?). It matched well with my natural fade off the tee in that it kept the ball fairly straight while not promoting a left miss. It was very long (for me) with regularity and I hit some very nice drives with it to the upper limits of my distance. The ball flight is mid-high for me and I was getting a good amount of run when the ball landed. The shaft was very smooth through the swing and stable as can be. Never once did think that I was hitting an ‘ultralite” driver.

G4life absolutely dominated the Bear Trap with his mashies. He let me hit the X-stiff and I actually liked the way they felt (my driver SS is only 104, so that's stiffer than I usually use).

Agree on the M1, fantastic 3W replacement...but for me the ballflight was significantly lower and had more roll. My 3W (Burner Superfast) has more spin so it sits nicely, although is tougher to hit than a Mashie.

A couple of quick questions if yall don't mind:
Has anyone hit the Mashie Tour Version...I just do not like the look and the offset of the non tours.
Are the CG16 Tour irons forged?

I love my new Cleveland TL310...the head, feel and shaft are the best combo I have hit this year including the Titleist 910 D2 and D3 and it has easily replaced my Callaway FT Tour.

SethO actually owns the Mashie Tour. No, the CG16 Tour are not forged if my memory is correct.

Hawk, that is what I thought. SethO, do you have any pics of the Tour Mashie and if so an address pic would be great. The non Tours with the offset is a hooking machine for me even though I love the feel.

It may be worth your time to shoot him a PM, VT.

The XL 290 is the only driver I found that would kick the r11 out of the bag. I love the flight this driver gives me, stock swing is a fade and if I go after it and release my hands hard I get a very draw. Longer than the r11, incredible titanium sound, and forgiving. What more do you want from your driver?

CG16 Wedges, awesome out of the bunker but sadly not the right wedge for me from anywhere else. Gets stuck in the turf for me, granted I do get a little steep with my wedges. It may be a combo of me and the grind, but we don't get along in any kind of grass.

--
tapatalk

The XL 290 is the only driver I found that would kick the r11 out of the bag. I love the flight this driver gives me, stock swing is a fade and if I go after it and release my hands hard I get a very draw. Longer than the r11, incredible titanium sound, and forgiving. What more do you want from your driver?

CG16 Wedges, awesome out of the bunker but sadly not the right wedge for me from anywhere else. Gets stuck in the turf for me, granted I do get a little steep with my wedges. It may be a combo of me and the grind, but we don't get along in any kind of grass.

--
tapatalk

I have heard more than a few people mention that the 290 is one of the best drivers of 2011, a couple shop managers told me it was giving people at a demo day they went to like 4-5 mph more ball speed than any other major OEM's driver, he said they had everything there except the Zstar driver. One of the managers actually plays the Zstar and it was the only thing that gave him better numbers than the 290. I really wish they had a adjustable version

CG16 Irons
I hit the 5 and 9 irons. I couldn't really hit these all that well. They were some of the first clubs I hit that day and couldn't really find a groove with them. I liked the feel (seemed very soft). Aside from that, I can't really say much more, I just couldn't hit them good enough to get the ball up.

Mashie
Haven't hit the Mashie since last Outing and I forgot how light it is. Much lighter than my Rescue 11. I still like this club, but I don't think it's for me. I really like the sound at impact and the distance was ok for me. Hit the M4 model.

HB3
Rhino suggested I try these but I just couldn't get anything going with it. I was hitting the 8 iron or at least attempting to hit it. It just wasn't working for me.

Laucher FL
Spent a lot of time with this club. Gamed it for 3 rounds and am seriously thinking of getting one or two. I was hitting the 17* 3 wood. Great sound and great distance. Ball flight was really nice too. High, but not ballooning. I sure winner, no doubt about it. It offers a great feel too. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I knew when I made good contact on the face. Ball just exploded forward. This is a great club.

I took the TL 310 out yesterday and holy crap do I have a driver. I hit 7/12 fairways and just missed on a couple others. The wind really changed the direction of the shot at times but it would've killed any drive. It's not a great percentage but That could've easily been 9/12 and even 11/12 had I just swung easy.

Anyway enough of the could have done. This driver/shaft combo is the real deal. I loved the lighter drivers in the series (270, 290) but the 59s in the 310 fits almost perfectly with my swing. I have never hit a driver further, straighter or a more penetrating flight. The only driver I've hit that rivals these numbers is the Z Star. For anyone that is looking for the performance of a Miyazaki but a lighterweight I can't imagine passing up the new Cleveland drivers. I know it sounds like hype but I have never put a driver in the bag I trust more. There were times I was thinking, just play it safe and I'm glad I didn't. I cannot thank THP and Cleveland enough!

I took the TL 310 out yesterday and holy crap do I have a driver. I hit 7/12 fairways and just missed on a couple others. The wind really changed the direction of the shot at times but it would've killed any drive. It's not a great percentage but That could've easily been 9/12 and even 11/12 had I just swung easy.

Anyway enough of the could have done. This driver/shaft combo is the real deal. I loved the lighter drivers in the series (270, 290) but the 59s in the 310 fits almost perfectly with my swing. I have never hit a driver further, straighter or a more penetrating flight. The only driver I've hit that rivals these numbers is the Z Star. For anyone that is looking for the performance of a Miyazaki but a lighterweight I can't imagine passing up the new Cleveland drivers. I know it sounds like hype but I have never put a driver in the bag I trust more. There were times I was thinking, just play it safe and I'm glad I didn't. I cannot thank THP and Cleveland enough!

I am thinking the 59 gram shaft would probably work well in the SL290 head as well. Hmmmm it would be interesting.....

I'm telling ya Gray, I hate to put numbers out there but this was incredible and something I'm not used to seeing in anyway. I hit this on the monitor and couldn't believe what i was seeing. I hit some bombs Monday and was in places I had no idea existed! I think you're right man and it would be worth a look :)

I am thinking the 59 gram shaft would probably work well in the SL290 head as well. Hmmmm it would be interesting.....

CG16 Irons- These are a little more bulky than I expected them to be, but it really didn't matter in the least. I hit them very solid and straight. Nice high ball flight that really impressed me with each shot. Very forgiving club but you don't feel like you're swinging an SGI club.

CG16 Tour Irons- These are gorgeous! I found them to be less forgiving than I hoped, but then again they are a tour iron so that should come as no surprise. I really liked the looks and on well struck shots I had a great mid trajectory on the longer irons and in the short irons I had no problem getting them up in the air.

CG16 Wedges- I like the CG15 better, but then again in my opinion the CG15 is the greatest wedge in the history of the world. Very good wedge that looks and feels just like you'd expect from a Cleveland wedge.

Launcher Ultralite Drivers- I'm not so shocked by the lightweight as I may have been at last demo, I love shaft in these and the clubs are just a solid option for about every golfer out there. Great look, plain but then again very classic and pleasing to the eye. I hit the drivers on a great mid trajectory that I really strive for in my tee shots. Distance was as good as any driver out there as well.

Mashie Hybrids- What can be said that hasn't already been said about the Mashie? I tried not to fall head over heels like everyone else did early on but my resistance was just temporary. Every time I've hit the Mashie I've come away with more and more desire to get one. I hit the ball dead straight and with a great high trajectory that I look for in a hybrid.

Sorry, what are the head differences between the three drivers?

I'm telling ya Gray, I hate to put numbers out there but this was incredible and something I'm not used to seeing in anyway. I hit this on the monitor and couldn't believe what i was seeing. I hit some bombs Monday and was in places I had no idea existed! I think you're right man and it would be worth a look :)

sounds like that R11 is going bye bye

Here ya go man! Obviously the overall weights are different and the grips are different weights as well.

270: 192g head, 460cc
290: 198g head, 460cc
310: 202g head, 440cc

Sorry, what are the head differences between the three drivers?

Yeah man. She is putting up a fight but its like Rampage fighting Chuck Liddell. Usually ends in a knockout.

sounds like that R11 is going bye bye

Thanks Yoccos.
Information overload right now... I wish i could absorb information for my class like I can absorb it for golf clubs and cars.

Np! They all feel pretty different imo. I'm not sure I could blind test like my man Yorkem's Friend but they all have their strong points and unique feels. The XL 270 Draw is fantastic at 60 yard shots into a staff bag :)

Thanks Yoccos.
Information overload right now... I wish i could absorb information for my class like I can absorb it for golf clubs and cars.

Back