Graphite Iron Shafts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been pondering graphite iron shafts for the last couple of weeks. Not necessarily because I am struggling with my shafts, because I like them quite a bit in my irons, but because I am intrigued by the latest technology quite a bit.

The technology in the shaft industry has gotten really good over the last few years and that has me intrigued more than ever. Some of these companies are putting out some incredible graphite shafts and I am interested in being ahead of the curve so to speak. Companies like Project X, Matrix and Aerotech (to name a few) are putting out some shafts that have me seriously thinking.

How many have spent considerable time with any of the higher end graphite shafts for irons and what were your thoughts? I have tried a few, but not spent a ton of course time with them. In my brief time, I am really intrigued.

I can tell you that I'll be getting very familiar with them in the near future :wink:

I do find them intriguing, especially when I actually research the subject a little bit. I think that your high end graphite shaft OEM's are on to some really neat things with this.

• Admin
I can tell you that I'll be getting very familiar with them in the near future :wink:

I do find them intriguing, especially when I actually research the subject a little bit. I think that your high end graphite shaft OEM's are on to some really neat things with this.

That is my thought as well. Not too long ago (well kind of), graphite was not the answer for anything. It was not considered stable or accurate enough. Now drivers, FW woods and even long irons (hybrids) are pretty much only coming with graphite as standard. Could irons be next? Or will cost keep that away for some time? They can make them heavier and lighter and extremely stable. The custom options are endless to an extent and what I am seeing is incredible.

I am really really interested in learning more and possibly making a switch.

This is the number one thing I've really wanted to know about. I've never really experimented with any different iron shafts and I'd like to find what would work best for me. I would think as great as companies are doing with graphite shafts these days there could be some graphites that work better than any steel shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technology has come a long way for these and it's not your father's wet noodle graphite shaft anymore. I'd love to hear more about these as well.

I've been contemplating putting graphite in irons for a few months now but the cost of the newer quality shafts has kept me away since I don't know if I'd like them or not.

I vote for you to give it a serious try and let us know. :smile:

This is a another great topic. As I get older, I always thought I might want graphite in my next set of irons.

• Admin
I vote for you to give it a serious try and let us know. :smile:

We have a shaft tester that will get right on this.

That is my thought as well. Not too long ago (well kind of), graphite was not the answer for anything. It was not considered stable or accurate enough. Now drivers, FW woods and even long irons (hybrids) are pretty much only coming with graphite as standard. Could irons be next? Or will cost keep that away for some time? They can make them heavier and lighter and extremely stable. The custom options are endless to an extent and what I am seeing is incredible.

I am really really interested in learning more and possibly making a switch.

I think cost is an issue, but I also think it could be worth it. I mean, I'm reading about graphite shafts that launch higher, spin less, and are far more stable. All of those are lethal combinations. Anyone who spent time on the launch monitor with you now knows how different graphite shafts can drastically change launch conditions. Imagine getting your irons dialed in like that?

We have a shaft tester that will get right on this.

Of the shafts you named. do you have a specific name of those or do they make one type. All you ever here is stay away from graphite you are to young oh your swing speed is to high. I want the Truth and nothing but the truth. They charge an extra hundred or so when you buy them.

The one thing I loved about graphite shafts when I played them for a span of about a week was how light they were. The lightweight actually gave me some confidence that I could give this club a good swing and not have any troubles.

That will probably be the first thing that pops into your mind is how weightless they are.

Of the shafts you named. do you have a specific name of those or do they make one type. All you ever here is stay away from graphite you are to young oh your swing speed is to high. I want the Truth and nothing but the truth. They charge an extra hundred or so when you buy them.

Each brand makes a few types in reality. But I am not really speaking about the standard graphite shafts that are found in irons but moreso the higher end models that I mentioned above.

The one thing I loved about graphite shafts when I played them for a span of about a week was how light they were. The lightweight actually gave me some confidence that I could give this club a good swing and not have any troubles.

That will probably be the first thing that pops into your mind is how weightless they are.

I was actually surprised to see that some of them weigh the same amount or more than their steel counterparts. Shocked actually.

I was actually surprised to see that some of them weigh the same amount or more than their steel counterparts. Shocked actually.

Exactly, they aren't really all that much lighter. Light, yup, but ultra light, not now that there's some more options. In fact, the shaft I'll be testing is about 25 grams heavier than the steel shaft in the Burner 2.0. And if it offers similar spin and higher launch, we're talking about "bubba" long.

This thread has me intrigued. Imagine if you could get fit for a shaft, and then just get it throughout your bag. I would love that to tell you the truth.

Maybe I just have no clue, and, it really doesn't matter what THEY do because they're on another level, but...

If graphite were even a slight improvement over steel shafts, wouldn't it be all over on Tour?

I'm definitely not one to play something just because it's so popular on tour, but, if it the tech in graphite shafts is starting to eclipse that of steel, wouldn't the pros just gobble it up?

:smile: Shiny new club, Shiny new club, I got me a shiny new club :smile:

So, this thread got me thinking and a buying. I've been talking myself out of buying a Callaway X Series Jaws wedge for nearly 2 months now. After posting here I thought, Hey, they have those with graphite shafts also. So, $69.99 later, :smile: Shiny new club, Shiny new club, I got me a shiny new club :smile:. This will be a brilliant experiment, stupid brilliant or smart, either way works for me (actually can't be too stupid as I have lots of steel shafts I can pop in if the graphite doesn't work). I figure, if a graphite shaft can feel/work good in a wedge, then that would sell me on switching out the irons. I mean, what can be a bigger challenge for graphite then in the SW? Even if I like it a little bit it will give me more reason to at least try it in the irons.

I'll get the actual specs later but for now it is a 56* 16 bounce (hope the special grind works out) SW (not the new CC grooves) with a Fujikara 95ST graphite wedge shaft. I'm guessing the 95 in 95ST is the weight.

As for weight, I also thought about that. The question between the weight of the shaft has to be thought out as what the swing weight of the club is going to be. There is a lot of leeway in hybrids, woods, and drivers since they are the lightest heads (or should be) and have a lot of air in them. When it comes to irons, if you want a specific swing weight then you have the head weight, grip weight and shaft weight to consider. I'm not sure of the math (I'll play around with the swing weight calculator later) but if they go too light in the shaft then they'll have to go with a lighter head weight in the iron.

:smile: Shiny new club, Shiny new club, I got me a shiny new club :smile:

I'm intrigued by this as well. I have KBS tour 90's in my CB2's and I am hitting way too high with these and may need to make a switch.
JB/TC/or another knowledgeable source: lets say a graphite and steel shaft have the same weight and same kickpoint, which one will launch the ball lower? Or, are there too many variables to answer this question?

I'm intrigued by this as well. I have KBS tour 90's in my CB2's and I am hitting way too high with these and may need to make a switch.
JB/TC/or another knowledgeable source: lets say a graphite and steel shaft have the same weight and same kickpoint, which one will launch the ball lower? Or, are there too many variables to answer this question?

I think there are other variables at work but I would think that the steel would launch lower. The KBS' are fairly high launching shafts for me, until I get into the heavier ones (S+ or X flex) and then they really help lower my ball flight.

I think there are other variables at work but I would think that the steel would launch lower. The KBS' are fairly high launching shafts for me, until I get into the heavier ones (S+ or X flex) and then they really help lower my ball flight.

Thanks, TC. I am thinking the same thing. I think this is going to keep me from moving to graphite unless I find a low launching option.

Edit to add: TC, can you share with us what graphite offerings you will be testing or is that still 'in progress'?

I wanted too for the MC but Ill be honest after my fitter said prob not because my wrist and elbow issues werent severe enough I passed. I shouldve asked more because I had them in a set of pings and loved it.

I know JB and I were kinda starting to discuss at the outing but we never got into it in detail. There was a stigma for awhile but even then I wouldnt care. Distance, control and less pain equals winner to me. Cant wait to hear the results from Lucas. Its my only regret from the fitting is not trying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, TC. I am thinking the same thing. I think this is going to keep me from moving to graphite unless I find a low launching option.

Edit to add: TC, can you share with us what graphite offerings you will be testing or is that still 'in progress'?

I should be able to get a thread up with some pics next week Doug. It's just a single shaft and I'll be putting it in a 6 iron. I can tell you this though, based on the research I've been doing, I am incredibly interested. See, if the spin can be somewhat minimized, but the launch can be higher, you're looking at some incredible carry distance. I have some great data on my Burner 2.0 6iron so I'm probably going to reshaft that club so I have something to compare to. It's very exciting times buddy!

I should be able to get a thread up with some pics next week Doug. It's just a single shaft and I'll be putting it in a 6 iron. I can tell you this though, based on the research I've been doing, I am incredibly interested. See, if the spin can be somewhat minimized, but the launch can be higher, you're looking at some incredible carry distance. I have some great data on my Burner 2.0 6iron so I'm probably going to reshaft that club so I have something to compare to. It's very exciting times buddy!

Excellent. Really looking forward to your findings.

Great thread idea JB. I don't know if you remember that we talked about this subject on Sunday for a little bit. I'm intrigued by graphite because I want to minimize the aches and pains I get from the steel shafted irons. I am mainly looking at the Aerotechs although I must say I'm intrigued by the Ozik Programs. I'm not really looking to go lighter as I think the 2 sets I'm interested are in the 120 gram range. My wrists and back need some graphite. TC I can't wait to read up on this experiment.

Back