TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

Okay played them for the first time in leagues... I lost with a 50! Worst 9 of leagues to date! However, my driver and iron shots were great! Just when I got 20 ft and in is where I blew up. Couldn't chip or putt. 2 chipped and 3 putted a lot of holes. I am still loving my irons. The way they feel and look. They hit the ball pretty sweet thru the wind. Still no fade's on my shots! I am completely happy with these!

Okay played them for the first time in leagues... I lost with a 50! Worst 9 of leagues to date! However, my driver and iron shots were great! Just when I got 20 ft and in is where I blew up. Couldn't chip or putt. 2 chipped and 3 putted a lot of holes. I am still loving my irons. The way they feel and look. They hit the ball pretty sweet thru the wind. Still no fade's on my shots! I am completely happy with these!
Dang, I hate when the ball striking is good but the short game fails you, that sucks buddy but hang in there! Thanks for the update!

So I just put in an order for a 6-9 irons. I already have a 48* wedge so I dont think I need the PW. I may pick up the PW later and bend it to 46* and my wedge to 49*.

When people say that blades are unforgiving or hard to hit, are they mainly referring to the longer irons (3,4,5) or does this include the lower irons? I currently have the 2.0's and only use the 7-PW (use a 5 and 4 hybrid). I picked up the 6-9 MB's due to the lofts matching up with what I have now. I am about a 15 HC but mainly due to my bad putting. i am a fairly competent ballstriker.

I tried these out at my local golfmart and loved the weighting and the feel of these. For some reason I am put on a more confident swing with clubs that I like the look of. Kind of weird. You could have the most forgiving SGI iron but if I dont like the looks or appearance of it, I just cant hit it well.

My first choice of irons would be the Callaway proto's but I cant find anywhere where I can buy them individually. The TM MB's were my second choice going on looks alone plus I could buy them individually. Hate to spend $900 for a set when I only use 4 irons.

They typically mean the lower ones, however these irons I have no problem with hitting any of them really.

Quite a few of the pros now a days are mixing and matching their sets with more forgiving and I think that is a great idea and should be used by everyone.

Is there a good high launching shaft that will match well with these irons? I believe mine come with the dg's but I would prefer a higher ball flight. Has anyone experimented with different shafts in these?

Is there a good high launching shaft that will match well with these irons? I believe mine come with the dg's but I would prefer a higher ball flight. Has anyone experimented with different shafts in these?

I would think the DG XP's or perhaps some KBS's would help raise your ball flight.

So I just put in an order for a 6-9 irons. I already have a 48* wedge so I dont think I need the PW. I may pick up the PW later and bend it to 46* and my wedge to 49*.

When people say that blades are unforgiving or hard to hit, are they mainly referring to the longer irons (3,4,5) or does this include the lower irons? I currently have the 2.0's and only use the 7-PW (use a 5 and 4 hybrid). I picked up the 6-9 MB's due to the lofts matching up with what I have now. I am about a 15 HC but mainly due to my bad putting. i am a fairly competent ballstriker.

I tried these out at my local golfmart and loved the weighting and the feel of these. For some reason I am put on a more confident swing with clubs that I like the look of. Kind of weird. You could have the most forgiving SGI iron but if I dont like the looks or appearance of it, I just cant hit it well.

My first choice of irons would be the Callaway proto's but I cant find anywhere where I can buy them individually. The TM MB's were my second choice going on looks alone plus I could buy them individually. Hate to spend $900 for a set when I only use 4 irons.
Typically I'd say you're correct in that the 3,4,5 irons are more difficult to hit than the lower irons in a blade set. I think a lot of that is in our heads as we try much harder and therefore usually blow it. But you're right, you have to like what you're looking down at and that is a big part of hitting the ball well. I know what you're saying about putting a more confident swing on these, it's almost like the lack of a huge sweet spot and a ton of forgiveness gives you a sense of confidence just like some get from hitting a SGI iron.

So your order is in, can't wait to hear how they work for you when they show up! Keep us posted.

I would think the DG XP's or perhaps some KBS's would help raise your ball flight.

Thanks. I will definitely check those out. Is there a specific model of kbs i shold be looking at? Just curious but how do you guys try out shafts? Do you just get one and install it or is there a wAy you demo them? Is it all by word of mouth? Seems like shafts would work differently in different heads so trying to find your club head with the shaft you want to try would be really difficult

Thanks. I will definitely check those out. Is there a specific model of kbs i shold be looking at? Just curious but how do you guys try out shafts? Do you just get one and install it or is there a wAy you demo them? Is it all by word of mouth? Seems like shafts would work differently in different heads so trying to find your club head with the shaft you want to try would be really difficult

Best way is to use a Mizuno optimizer or find a PGA professional who could help make some suggestions.

I don't find these hard to hit at all. Love how the ball no longer rolls all the way thru the green. And my fade is gone. I'm loving these clubs. My chipping has taken a crap tho. It seems as if I'm scared of hitting the ball too hard around the green. I need to trust my club. I'm struggling with that. My wedges are another topic tho. My iron game is going well eventho I just started using these.

I'm still loving life with these irons. You get these shots every now and then that you hit so pure and you just know it right away. When you get that feeling its like butter. No other iron I have tried do I get that feeling with. I am also swinging pretty well lately.

So I put in my order today for the PW. I originally wanted to put the DG Spinner in it to match my wedges. I was told by the TM rep that neither the spinner or the hi-rev can be installed in these heads. Kind of disappointing. Ended up staying with the stock r300. Can't wait for these to arrive. Waiting sucks

Before a recent demo day I went to I was pretty set on getting some MC's as my next set, but then I hit one of the blades from the Nike VR Pro Combo sets and one of the TM MB irons, and they felt better than anything out there. So now I don't know whether to go a full set of MB's or if I need to have some more forgiveness on the longer irons. I am usually a great ball striker, but I am just not sure about going with a blade for my 3-5. I wish they sold a mixed set of the Tour Preferred in retail stores rather than having to special order a mixed set. I didn't get the chance to hit any of the long irons of the MC or the Pro Combo, but honestly I think the MB felt a little better. I'm more confused than ever now on what I think will help my game the most! Defintely love the MB's though which I thought I wouldn't like before I hit them.

Before a recent demo day I went to I was pretty set on getting some MC's as my next set, but then I hit one of the blades from the Nike VR Pro Combo sets and one of the TM MB irons, and they felt better than anything out there. So now I don't know whether to go a full set of MB's or if I need to have some more forgiveness on the longer irons. I am usually a great ball striker, but I am just not sure about going with a blade for my 3-5. I wish they sold a mixed set of the Tour Preferred in retail stores rather than having to special order a mixed set. I didn't get the chance to hit any of the long irons of the MC or the Pro Combo, but honestly I think the MB felt a little better. I'm more confused than ever now on what I think will help my game the most! Defintely love the MB's though which I thought I wouldn't like before I hit them.

I was under the impression TM sold mixed sets. I've been to 2 TM demo days near my place recently, and they both mentioned that it wasn't a problem getting a mixed MB/MC set or what not. If the local golf course pro-shops were offering that, I'd imagine any large retailer could do it as well.

I actually changed up my order to get a mixed set. Now I have the 8,9,PW in the MB's and the 6 and 7 in the MC on the way. I had to order them individually so I am not sure if you can get the whole set mixed or not. Given that they are the same price, I dont see why they wouldnt however.

I've gotten my distance back to where it was with my r7's. No more fade. And haven't bladed one in a while now. Honeymoon is over, but still "IN LOVE". LOL

I was under the impression TM sold mixed sets. I've been to 2 TM demo days near my place recently, and they both mentioned that it wasn't a problem getting a mixed MB/MC set or what not. If the local golf course pro-shops were offering that, I'd imagine any large retailer could do it as well.

He is talking about just stock in the stores like how Nike has their Pro Combo set that is already that way. Right now, people are having to wait at least 3 weeks to get these irons in their hands. My MB's took a month and a half, and the taylormade rep was really trying to get me a set of them early.

He is talking about just stock in the stores like how Nike has their Pro Combo set that is already that way. Right now, people are having to wait at least 3 weeks to get these irons in their hands. My MB's took a month and a half, and the taylormade rep was really trying to get me a set of them early.
While I think it's great that TMaG is selling a ton of these I wonder why they didn't make enough sets to match the demand? I suppose they were a little cautious with what they made up early on. I am hearing a lot of love for the Tour Preferred mixed setup, I would have to agree that it would be a good way to have the best of both worlds for sure.

Hey folks
I cannot remember who, but someone ordered the mb with an AW. Was this through TM. Can it be done?

Hey folks
I cannot remember who, but someone ordered the mb with an AW. Was this through TM. Can it be done?

They ordered him the wrong set. No AW is available in this set.

He was misinformed by his dealer and was sent 2.0's

While I think it's great that TMaG is selling a ton of these I wonder why they didn't make enough sets to match the demand? I suppose they were a little cautious with what they made up early on. I am hearing a lot of love for the Tour Preferred mixed setup, I would have to agree that it would be a good way to have the best of both worlds for sure.

The TM rep was very adamant about the fact that the little weight on the back of the club comes from Japan and that they are still behind on orders for this weight and producing them as fast as they can, which still isn't fast enough.

Sad to say that the honeymoon is over and I may already be looking for a divorce. I have to start out with saying it may not be the club and just my swing. I purchased these clubs from a TaylorMade rep and he just looked at my swing with no other analysis and told me I could hit these irons. I did not hit any other irons, again my fault.

My issue with the club is that when hitting into the wind or in between clubs I can not take the club I am comfortable with at that distance and put a little extra into it to get it to the green. If you just barely mishit it you are going to pay. I have played 12 full rounds with these clubs in the last month so testing has been done.

As others on here I may just look to go with the MC 3-7 and keel the MB 8-pw. I want to make sure that people do no think I am bashing these clubs, they are just not the clubs for me and I regret not hitting any other irons.

Certainly isn't bashing to be honest. There are many professionals that wouldn't play a blade iron.

Sad to say that the honeymoon is over and I may already be looking for a divorce. I have to start out with saying it may not be the club and just my swing. I purchased these clubs from a TaylorMade rep and he just looked at my swing with no other analysis and told me I could hit these irons. I did not hit any other irons, again my fault.

My issue with the club is that when hitting into the wind or in between clubs I can not take the club I am comfortable with at that distance and put a little extra into it to get it to the green. If you just barely mishit it you are going to pay. I have played 12 full rounds with these clubs in the last month so testing has been done.

As others on here I may just look to go with the MC 3-7 and keel the MB 8-pw. I want to make sure that people do no think I am bashing these clubs, they are just not the clubs for me and I regret not hitting any other irons.

Did you find this to be true throughout the whole set or was it more limited to the 3-7? Did you find the same with the 8-PW?

Perhaps they didn't expect the demand to be this good and underestimated a little bit?

Back