The Memorial Tournament [spoilers]

The video is being published, so give it a little time if you are curious about the ruling.
Thanks biggsy, I just lost any respect for schwartzel. Hope he gets paired with sabatini for the rest of the season. He's lucky he wasn't ob to begin with, then uses the injury baloney. What if I'm up against a tree root, I gotta take a stroke don't I?

Thanks biggsy, I just lost any respect for schwartzel. Hope he gets paired with sabatini for the rest of the season. He's lucky he wasn't ob to begin with, then uses the injury baloney. What if I'm up against a tree root, I gotta take a stroke don't I?
Yes you do, or play it and take a chance (worked for Sergio and that was an entire tree). I think it was bending the rules and his "feeling" a little bit.

A tree root is different than a sprinker valve box. One is natural. The 2nd is manmade. You get a free drop from the manmade obstruction. I was questioning it until the ruling official, an ex-tour player I believe, had him take a practice swing. IMO, there was a definite risk of hitting the cover w/ an inside-out swing. I haven't heard the commentator comments. I'll have to watch the last half of this video to get what Price was saying.

A tree root is different than a sprinker valve box. One is natural. The 2nd is manmade. You get a free drop from the manmade obstruction. I was questioning it until the ruling official, an ex-tour player I believe, had him take a practice swing. IMO, there was a definite risk of hitting the cover w/ an inside-out swing. I haven't heard the commentator comments. I'll have to watch the last half of this video to get what Price was saying.
Ok then apples to apples, it would be a cold day in hell I'd try to get relief from that lie. I'd be embarrassed to ask, and I'd laugh at anyone that did. Then again I'd never get a team of guys to move a boulder either. That's just me though.

Cant wait to go watch this weekend! Headed to Dublin tomorrow!

I agree that they are different but this ruling in question was bogus. He was not hitting that sprinkler and he honestly is going to regret that as the players will not forget

I've missed all the action today but only lost 2 players for the weekend, one was Watney's w/d. 15th place thus far.

I am just now watching the footage on Golf Channel and that moment just happened, and that to me is just being a weeny. He was not going to hit that sprinkler head and he knew it, and instead of hitting from the rough with the ball above his feet he got to hit from the fairway on flat ground. That was stupid.

Just got to sprinkler gate on the replay. I could go either way with it, but in all honesty if it were me in those shoes and the official said it was my call and I thought there was the slightest chance I could injure myself I most certainly would have taken the drop. Say what you will, but these guys make a living with their bodies, why chance a fluke injury if you can avoid it. Just my opinion.

--
tapatalk

Completely agree. You rely on your body to make you money. I wouldve kicked it if I were playing alone by myself. No way in hell Im risking an injury like that.
Just got to sprinkler gate on the replay. I could go either way with it, but in all honesty if it were me in those shoes and the official said it was my call and I thought there was the slightest chance I could injure myself I most certainly would have taken the drop. Say what you will, but these guys make a living with their bodies, why chance a fluke injury if you can avoid it. Just my opinion.

--
tapatalk

I just watched it again. Sorry but I consider Schwarzel as a cheater. That rules official was begging him to not take that drop. His divot was not even a divot on his real swing and he didn't even come close to the sprinkler when he took the practice swing.

Doh, my video got taken down because of a copyright infringement from the PGA. Blow me........a kiss

From this day forward, I will always root against Schwartzel. I hope karma bites him in the ace. I was driving when it happened and the guys on the PGA Tour Network on SiriusXM thought it was a bad ruling. When I walked in the door at home, it happened to be at that spot on my DVR. Even my terrible inside-to-outside swing wouldn't have come near that sprinkler head.

I totally agree! The wife and I backed it up and watched it twice and I said to her this is all because he wants a level stance and a fairway lie. The rules allow him to do what he did, but he flat-out cheated in my book in that he dishonored himself and the game. The official kept saying, it's up to you, if you say you need relief I'm fine with that. The implication was clearly, 'You're on your honor' and Schwartz did it anyway. Disgraceful!

** On a side-note, I've always said the rule should be "One club length no closer to the hole and not moving to a "better" terrain (ie. from rough to 1st cut or from 1st cut to fairway). Relief shouldn't allow you to go from the rough to a premium lie, it should simply be relief from the situation.

I totally agree! The wife and I backed it up and watched it twice and I said to her this is all because he wants a level stance and a fairway lie. The rules allow him to do what he did, but he flat-out cheated in my book in that he dishonored himself and the game. The official kept saying, it's up to you, if you say you need relief I'm fine with that. The implication was clearly, 'You're on your honor' and Schwartz did it anyway. Disgraceful!

** On a side-note, I've always said the rule should be "One club length no closer to the hole and not moving to a "better" terrain (ie. from rough to 1st cut or from 1st cut to fairway). Relief shouldn't allow you to go from the rough to a premium lie, it should simply be relief from the situation.

To your second point. Kinda like how Sticker moved into fairway because a portion of his left foot was on the sprinkler? I think your idea is a valid one, that way he (or charl for that matter) really wouldn't have gained an advantage from fairway vs first cut.

--
tapatalk

I don't see alot being said of Stricker doing basicly the same thing. The only difference was his foot was near it instead of the ball. Like Thainer said, if I were playing alone I would have kicked it and if the marshall had left it up to me of course I would have moved it. You would be crazy not to without penalty.

I don't see alot being said of Stricker doing basicly the same thing. The only difference was his foot was near it instead of the ball. Like Thainer said, if I were playing alone I would have kicked it and if the marshall had left it up to me of course I would have moved it. You would be crazy not to without penalty.

Thank you. And I wouldn't have seen your amazing foot wedge hehe

--
tapatalk

I just watched it again. Sorry but I consider Schwarzel as a cheater. That rules official was begging him to not take that drop. His divot was not even a divot on his real swing and he didn't even come close to the sprinkler when he took the practice swing.

Although I don't consider him a cheater I don't think he should have taken a drop. If another player said something to him I bet he would have backed off and just hit it. The tell you the truth it might have been a slightly tougher shot but I would have personally taken it and not have taken the drop.

Well crap.....3 of my picks missed the cut and I am 75th of 77. Nice, eh??

I will be a sleeper going into the US Open contest. Tiger FTW! :deadhorse::laughing:

I only caught the end of Stricker's situation, but was under the impression he was standing on the sprinkler while taking his normal stance. That is clearly interference and completely different from this 1" underground object SIX INCHES in front of my ball being a reason to dramatically improve my lie. If Schwartz had taken a divot big enough to hit that sprinkler head... well he'd have needed a backhoe to do that - especially since he's a picker anyway. He lied when he said he thought he would hit it, plain and simple.

Now, I still contend that the rule ought to require Stricker to drop in the first cut where his ball was before. I don't get how the rules gods at the R&A who never want to give a player an advantage of any kind have never caught on to this one???

Screw you, Hunter Mahan! I was just so sick of picking him every week, since I dislike him so much.

That was unreal. Stacker and Jobe hit the pin from almost the exact same yardage on the sane hole in the same pairing. They both got horrible breaks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was unreal. Stacker and Jobe hit the pin from almost the exact same yardage on the sane hole in the same pairing. They both got horrible breaks too.

no way that has ever happened before. Stadler's had to hit the cup by how high it bounced

Now Jobe is looking at bogey after hitting the stick.

wow stricker with the hole out for eagle, i hope he wins this week

Back