What ball did you play your last round and what did you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year I have been playing the Penta ball exclusively, and I absolutely love it. I played with it most of last year, but every once in a while threw another ball in the bag. This year I'm sticking with the Penta and it has been paying off. My short game has improved tremendously! I love this ball on pretty much any shot, but it really stands out to me around the greens as the best ball for me.

yesterday i played a taylormade xd ldp and that baby goes... i think i was 5-10yrds farther on more than a few shots

I've been bouncing back and forth between the Bridgestone R-330S and the Taylormade Penta TP.
The last 3 rounds have been with the Penta and I have decided to go with them for the rest of the year.
I love the feel, distance and spin I get from them.

Slazenger Raw Distance Straight. Cheap so I dont feel bad when i abandon one in the woods! But I get good distance off the tee with them!

Does what type of ball you play really matter if you are a high handicapper? Say above 15 for arguments sake.
I hit some bridgestone 330's side by side against some wilson budget balls and there was no difference in flight, distance or spin that I could see.
So, do the higher end balls really only benefit the better players?

I played an E7 and enjoyed the distance. However, I had a couple of chips/pitches roll out too far, one over the green. I'm hoping the 330-RX can solve that while being a nice ball in the wind.

Played the Nike One Tour today, really liked how it felt when struck with both Irons and Woods. Had great spin with the wedges and shots around the green. Putting felt really nice with it

May just go back to this for a round or 2 now to see if it continues to perform for me

**EDIT** I forgot to quote RonInThornton 3 posts above. /wave

Depends, in my opinion. I'm struggling to break 100 right now but REALLY like a ball that will check a bit more on the hard greens I'm playing on. E6's just rolled and rolled for me, where the E5 will hold up much better on little chip shots especially (I don't hit many greens and play a lot of that shot) and generally coming into the green from any distance. I probably lose 5-10 yds off the tee, but my game isn't about distance in particular...when I make solid contact I hit it pretty straight with either ball...the problem is currently getting that solid contact inconsistently.

But different people play different games, and some will much prefer the extra distance and straightness offered by (for example) the E6, where I just can't tolerate that it rolls and rolls and rolls.

I've been bouncing back and forth between the Bridgestone R-330S and the Taylormade Penta TP.
The last 3 rounds have been with the Penta and I have decided to go with them for the rest of the year.
I love the feel, distance and spin I get from them.

I've just recently found the Bridgestone B330-S to be a great ball for me! I've put my Pro V1s away for a few rounds now.
I'm getting excellent spin from them and no loss of distance that I can tell.
I'm still waiting on my FREE 6-Pack of Penta TPs to arrive though, so I can start gaming them! Boss!

the difference between the 2 will be night and day...especially around the green and off the putter
I played an E7 and enjoyed the distance. However, I had a couple of chips/pitches roll out too far, one over the green. I'm hoping the 330-RX can solve that while being a nice ball in the wind.

So, the last 3 rounds I have started to experiment with the Srixon Z Star XV ball. I usually play Pro V-1s, but recently grabbed a sleeve of the XVs down in Florida on a trip last month and was fairly impressed (shot 85 and 83). I am still breaking in my new clubs (pretty much the whole bag... Dr, 3H, and Irons), and my play as of late has been quite erratic - anywhere from 83-97 within the last month. Last weekend thought I put an XV in play again, and had the best putting round of my life (25 putts) in route to an 82. Was very impressed with the ball, but wanted to play the very next round using a Pro V 1 again just for comparison purposes. SO on Sunday, I ended up playing 36 which I thought would be a great opportunity to play both balls, each for a whole round. The morning 18 was played with a Pro V 1 and I shot 95 - couldnt control the driver at all and paid dearly for it. The afternoon round was played with an XV and I shot 80 (10 pars, 8 bogeys - most consistent round I ever had) while hitting the fairway 6 out of 8 times the driver was used with the 2 misses being within 5 yards of the fairway.. I was also hitting the longest drives I ever have at this course I usually play.

So clearly the XV is worth about 15 shots to me... haha! just playing, and I know there are many factors at play here, BUT it just strikes me as odd that my 4 rounds using XVs are 85,83,82,and 80 - vs the pro v this year which has yielded a handful of rounds over 90. Who knows, but I will def be sticking with the XV for a while.. I also noticed a pretty substantial increase in yardage using the XV (prolly 5-10 yrds on ironplay, 10+ with the driver). The XV doesn't spin as much, but I can still get a nice check-up on chip/pitch shots.. So far I am very impressed with the XV - unfortunately I haven't been able to find any deals on em!

I played the penta yesterday. I can't seem to ditch em. Superb all around ball. Love the check up I get on wedge shots. Distance is great. Compared them to Zstar, e6, burner, and one d yesterday. Penta wAs the best. I had a fee holes ahead of people and thought what the heck. Keep in mind swing could have been a factor.

Love putting with the penta, just solid.

Got paired up with a guy last weekend who I didn't know. He was BOMBING his drives, 275-280 right down the middle every time. His short game was almost as equally impressive. Twice during the round I glanced at his ball he was playing. Once it was a Precept and once it was a Noodle. Go figure.

BTW his driver was an old ERC Fusion, maybe 400cc, and his irons were cheap 20yr old knock-offs.

I pulled out a sleeve of TM Pentas for Sunday after playing Bridgestone B330-S for several weeks. Before Sunday, I thought the 330-S was comparable distance-wise to the Penta...WRONG! I mishit my first tee shot and was looking for it in the FW bunker. A playing companion pointed it out to me way up the FW. That mishit gave me 285, I doubt it would have gone much further if I had hit the sweetspot though. It was off the toe a little so probably got some hook roll. Anyway, that is a bit further than I hit the 330-S. I still like the Bridgestone, it is more durable and spins less off the driver and irons. I have put up some good scores with the 330-S. decisions, decisions, which to play?

I am still waiting for the 6 pack of free pentas from TM.

I will be playing some shiny new Tour I(s) balls tomorrow. Never tried them before, but initial yard testing looks promising. Very nice feel.

Big fan of those balls Jacob. Hope they work out well for you.

I will be playing some shiny new Tour I(s) balls tomorrow. Never tried them before, but initial yard testing looks promising. Very nice feel.

Big fan of those balls Jacob. Hope they work out well for you.

I hope so too. Wally world is selling 6 sleeves for the price of 4...

20Xi-X. Last the distance and feel. Spin isn't bad for a "distance" ball

I've played the B330 for the past 2.5 rounds now. Coming from the Penta, which I loved except for ballooning drives, the feel is considerably different. Truth be told, I prefer the feel of the Penta but so far I'm loving the play of the B330.

Very long with a lower flight off driver and with much less spin than the Penta. Irons fly straight with a more penetrating flight. Very adequate spin into greens. Wedges back up a bit. Ball feels a bit harder on chips but spins enough for me, adequate and predictable. Off of my (insert) putter, it feels fine and rolls true.

Played a Z-Star my last round, last years model. Distance was good off the tee. Low spin off the driver which I like. Around the green it was amazing, it bit even with some of my worn out grooves on my Ping wedges (can't wait to see what happens with my VR forged wedges). It felt sort of soft off the putter. Perhaps a putter with no insert would feel better. The one thing that really surprised me though was the durability! I hit one off a tree about 20 yards in front of me (shank, haha), and after the whole round of sand, a little hard pan and one roll across a cart path, all it had was a scuff! Amazing for a performance urethane ball, especially one as soft as this. Definitely worth the buy (I got a dozen for $24 dollars).

2 different balls:

Bridgestone e5: Nice mid-high trajectory, allowing for long carry and roll on drives, and a soft landing on irons/wedges. Fairly soft around the greens, with slightly less spin than a Pro V1x. Often got hop-and-stop with full wedges. Good solid feel of the putter face.

Titleist Pro V1: Mid trajectory, decent carry and roll on driver, nice mid-high trajectory with irons/wedges. Super soft in the short game, one of the softest out there. Amazing spin. Sucked back a few full wedges, and got many hop-and-stops on 3/4 swings. Great, soft feel off the putter.

Taylormade TP Red love the ball play B330 RX-S on a regular occassion also.

Played with a 2010 Pro V1 and shot a 77. Couldn't have asked anything more from my ball.

I like nike one tour and tour D the pro v1x and bridgestone b330 rx and s and the bridgestone e6 all of which I
Like the e6 seems to be harder to stick on the green green.

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo's Nice ball but by geez does it get dirty easy compared to the e6. A lot of bounce off irons but really nice on the wedges. Came off the big stick high, long and straight. Got two dozen of them for $40AUD which seemed like a good deal, should me a little while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back