Played in a Fivesome today!

DonW

Reaction score
Handicap
teens
Have done it before and it was horribly slow, don't even ask me how a sixsome works speed wise! :banghead:

But today I played with an 84, 80, 78, and 74 year olds and myself at 54. I was a little hesitant but this is our regular foursome, usually someone doesn't show and we play as threesome or foursome. I'm thinking this might get ugly, but we only had one tee time so. Teed off behind a twosome and had a foursome right on our heels, at the second hole we're waiting for the twosome to clear the green, at the third again we wait but its a par3. Kept looking back and the foursome is never waiting on us so I relax a little on the fourth we all had some bad shots so a gap opens in front of us, and the foursome never catches up, so I totally relax and just get on with playing, two holes later we catch the twosome. At the turn the twosome lets us play through and we immediately open up a gap between them and us, we never see anyone behind us the final eight holes, on the 17th par5 we see a foursome (who teed off the 1st tee 20 minutes ahead of us) on the green as we hit off the tee.

I wish I could have every slow player play a round with these old guys, they definitely get around the course and to top it off while not a hard and fast rule they generally play honors off the tee, they putt furthest from the hole first until everyone holes out. They do give putts but not until you prove yourself first and nothing outside the leather is given ever. From the fairway it also furthest out hits first. The 84 year old and 80 year old are handicapped by injuries, I've had a ranger approach me to get a sign on their cart so they could drive right to the greens edge because of their obvious difficulty in walking. To top it all in the past we have played through cart groups while we are all walking.

So how do they do it? They watch every tee shot so someone always knows right where to look if a ball is lost in the rough. When hitting from the fairway it is not uncommon to hear four ball strikes all take place within seconds, they note yardages and choose clubs while approaching their ball on the move, traps are raked by those who are already on the green close and several clubs and putter are always carried to the green for pitches from the fringe, carts/bags are parked on the way to the next hole, closest pulls the flag first one holed out sets/returns the flag second holed out picks up extra clubs for those still putting, scores are written down on the next tee. Repeat 17 more times. After playing several months with these guys I don't believe there is any reason for slow rounds. They can and will teach anyone how to play fast enjoyable golf, I have never felt rushed playing with them and with an open course have gotten around in less than 3 1/2 hours as a foursome walking.

That is awesome Don, I hate slow play myself. I played a round today by myself with a cart in 1:50, I was not really playing fast as it was 97* and not many people were on the course, so I did hit an extra ball a time or two and dropped some balls in bunkers to practice.

Goes to show the power of ready golf.

I'd love to play with that group. It probably didn't hurt that they hit it down the fairway 90% of the time.

This is just common sense golf and if more people did it it would be great. Lets face it. The weekend warriors and recreational golfers are not in a hurry becasue how often do they get out. I feel they want to "enjoy" their time while they are on the course and really don't have a clue about pace of play and etiquette. Nothing like having a 5 hour round on a hot day let alone any day.

That is awesome Don, I hate slow play myself. I played a round today by myself with a cart in 1:50, I was not really playing fast as it was 97* and not many people were on the course, so I did hit an extra ball a time or two and dropped some balls in bunkers to practice.

I totally fall apart if I have to wait extended periods of time to hit shots, getting better/more patient but man there are a lot of things I'd rather be doing than play sllllloooooooow golf. Thanks to my cousin played in a sixsome once and I was ready to throw my clubs in the pond and walk home, never again!

I totally fall apart if I have to wait extended periods of time to hit shots, getting better/more patient but man there are a lot of things I'd rather be doing than play sllllloooooooow golf. Thanks to my cousin played in a sixsome once and I was ready to throw my clubs in the pond and walk home, never again!

Unless it's with these same guys and their equally fast buddy!

I'd love to play with that group. It probably didn't hurt that they hit it down the fairway 90% of the time.

I am the wildest/longest off the tee, two were scratch and two single digit in their younger years (at my best was bogey golfer), we have all lost distance two can't hit beyond 200. But they are all deadly around the green, I will never chip against them if money is on the line. Three can no longer reach long par 3, 4, or 5s in regulation so putting/chipping is a priority for their game and it is rare they are more than a yard or two into the rough.

Maybe you should introduce them to JB. Word is he play's at a decent pace!

THAT'S how to play ready golf! Congrats on having a great four-fivesome who know how to enjoy AND play a round in 3 1/2 hrs. And, yes, them hitting it in the fairway most of the time really saves a lot of time!

My father-in-law and I played a round in Florida with a couple of French Canadians who never hit it farther than 175 yds. But they always hit the fairway. Both of them waxed my butt by 5 and 6 strokes respectively!

That's how I wish everyone would play, but it's not going to happen. One thing that irks me is when a course has the pace of play for the course in the cart or on the scorecard and it's over 4 1/2 hours. It's hard to tell people to speed up when they're technically keeping up with the courses pace of play. I'm playing 36 tomorrow and Wednesday, we won't tee off until 5:30 and we'll have no problem playing 36 both days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think you could play in a group larger than 4. Over here you definitely can't. Having said that 3.5 hours for a fivesome is an incredibly fast round

I didn't think you could play in a group larger than 4. Over here you definitely can't. Having said that 3.5 hours for a fivesome is an incredibly fast round

Yea most courses won't allow groups larger than 4. Unfortunately, the course by my college allows 5-somes and sometimes 6-somes. It is very slow and I've walked off of the course a few times. Not sure why this course does it, but they do. If it wasn't the only course within 40 miles I would definitely play somewhere else. I can't wait to be home in a week!

I really can't imagine how long a 6some would take to complete a round, especially if walking

I really can't imagine how long a 6some would take to complete a round, especially if walking

The problem with this course is that many people own their own cart so many times you will have 4 or more carts per group. It is dreadfully slow and I refuse to play when it is that slow.

Goes to show the power of ready golf.

+2. If only more people could figure it out. A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I played behind a foursome of older guys at our home course and we never waited on them for more than a couple of seconds at any time. Some get it, some don't.

We didn't actually do 3.5 hours as fivesome, but have done it as a foursome walking. I think we finished a hair over four hours, with out the twosome I believe we might have been under four, but not bagging on them as they let us through as soon as it made sense.

I've been in a threesome following TWO fivesomes. One let us through at the turn, the other never did, I don't think they even knew we were behind them.

Back