Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Still loving my mashie
Best hybrid ever
I now tap while I talk

Yesterday I received my M2 and M3 that AdWillingham gave me a great deal on. From the pictures of the headcovers I was expecting to not like them, but I really like them. They're quite a bit different from what I was expecting. I know I posted earlier in here I had bought M3 & M4 but I'm an idiot and forgot what I had bought. I'm looking to buy a M1 and maybe trade the M2 for a M4, but I need to get my yardages down with them before I figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's flat out marcawesome man!

I have to tell everyone about a couple of shots on Monday with the Mashie. Both Par 5's.

Par 5 8th hole.. Water to the left about 240 so I decide to play it safe and hit the M1. I just destroy the ball but push it. Everyone says I'm ok however I have a feeling I'm in some do do. Right on queue I'm in the woods. I punch my ball out and I have about 160 left. Pull out the 7i and push the beejezus out of it. Right behind one of two trees near the hole. My only option is one of those Mashie chips. My 4th shot I pull my M3 out. Hit it right into the tree lol. Lands near the same spot but a little further back. I was pissed because the contact was awesome. I channel'd my inner DDec/Nerfny and put my 5th about 6 feet from the hole. I pulled my bogey putt but I think I'm getting the hang of doing that little runner with the M3.

Par 5 11th. This hole is amazing. You sit on an elevated teebox with powerlines right in front of you. It's intimidating. I kill my drive but draw it too much (not on purpose) and into some trouble. Right next to a tree lol. So I barely punch out. I have about 231 left to the hole into the wind. Alright, M1 time. I blasted this thing. Took a nice easy swing (if it's breezy, swing easy) and man it felt great. Penetrating flight that rose a little and was drawing. We didn't see it land. When we got to the hole, I saw my ball next to another tree just past the green. Was about 240 and into the wind which was blowing pretty tough on this hole. Made my day. I chunked the chip but man what a great shot.

Point is, I'm loving these clubs. The versatility and the the way the clubhead/shaft perform in the wind is money!

Blind9golf can get you the Tour or the regular just send them a message. I just ordered a Tour M2 and Tour M4.

I have a complaint with one of my Mashies. The pom pom on the cover of my M1 fell off after only about 2-3 weeks of having it. I NEVER pull the head cover off with that part of it. Oh well, if that's the worst that happens then I'm doing good. Anyone else have this problem?

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

I have a complaint with one of my Mashies. The pom pom on the cover of my M1 fell off after only about 2-3 weeks of having it. I NEVER pull the head cover off with that part of it. Oh well, if that's the worst that happens then I'm doing good. Anyone else have this problem?

No, and I have had one in my bag since last November. Get hold of Cleveland and see if they will replace it.

I'll probably just sew it back on. It's no big deal. Just thought that I'd see if it did it to anyone else out of curiosity. Cleveland is a great company and I don't wanna bug them with something minor if I can help it!

so since before the outing ive been fighting a nagging issue with my hybrids. I game the m2, and m4 both in 59g stiff shafts. I always had a nice draw with them, and i play a draw with my irons. but on the irons its maybe 5-10 yards and the mashie was always about 15-20. Now its definately a hook, im getting decent distance about 180 with the m4 - but its hooking almost 30-40 yards left. unplayable in most cases.

at the outing i demo'd a regular flex shaft - and that somewhat "muted" the hook = so upon returning i ordered a new set of mashies.

Then today - i hit a 83g shaft - and i was bombing it long and straight.

Im not sure the root cause of my hook with the lighter shaft- whether its the transition at the top - or what. But i have come to realize LIGHT shafts are not for me. (i have a 39g reg flex Kua driver shaft i put in the supertri on the cheap. i duck hook the hell out of it)

So - im going to eventually replace my mashies with the heavier shafts, maybe next month. Wondering if anyone else relates to that, or if im in the minority. Im not normally a fast swinger - i strive for tempo and a repeatable swing. Strange im seeing such problems though out of the hybrids. oh well.

so since before the outing ive been fighting a nagging issue with my hybrids. I game the m2, and m4 both in 59g stiff shafts. I always had a nice draw with them, and i play a draw with my irons. but on the irons its maybe 5-10 yards and the mashie was always about 15-20. Now its definately a hook, im getting decent distance about 180 with the m4 - but its hooking almost 30-40 yards left. unplayable in most cases.

at the outing i demo'd a regular flex shaft - and that somewhat "muted" the hook = so upon returning i ordered a new set of mashies.

Then today - i hit a 83g shaft - and i was bombing it long and straight.

Im not sure the root cause of my hook with the lighter shaft- whether its the transition at the top - or what. But i have come to realize LIGHT shafts are not for me. (i have a 39g reg flex Kua driver shaft i put in the supertri on the cheap. i duck hook the hell out of it)

So - im going to eventually replace my mashies with the heavier shafts, maybe next month. Wondering if anyone else relates to that, or if im in the minority. Im not normally a fast swinger - i strive for tempo and a repeatable swing. Strange im seeing such problems though out of the hybrids. oh well.

Check your hands. That's exactly what I was seeing with my ball flight with the 59g and my misses now on the 83g are an exaggerated version of that variety. My TMPL fitter told me to stick to somewhat heavier, low torque shafts because if its too light and whippy my hands get flippy (to try to compensate for the shaft whipping through too fast). She said if I stick to her recommendation it'll quiet my hands through the swing.

Just a suggestion. :D

finally met the mashie i have been looking for today. i placed the mashie in the middle of my stance, if not on my inside back right foot....and was striping the M1. every par 5 was reachable in 2..sort of. three of the par 5s i was pin high in 2 and bogeyed all of them. none of which was i more than 15 yards from the pin. anyway, moral of the story is, if this keeps up i will keep the club.

i only hit 5 fairways today and every one resulted in a bogey. i had more scramble pars than i have seen Tiger pull off. it was a stupid round. shot an 85 (45-40) but it was just stupid. wasn't close on any par 3, but i got up and in on every one of them. i have never drawn a drive in my life. my everyday shots are a cut, fade, slice or other right hand turn shots. i faded every drive to the point of ridiculous except for #16 which i played to fade and sliced the living bejebus out of it...i take really nothing from this round but i liked the mashie today.

I played 18 on Saturday. I used the Mashie once during the round. I needed a 200 yd shot of the tee. I used the M3 and hit a beautiful shot right down the fairway. It gave me a nice shot in to the dogleg green. I love that club. I know every time I pull it out it goes straight.

Hey DMB. Just wondering why you chose the M3 over the M2 to compliment your M1? There is only a 1.5* difference between your 4-iron and the M3. Can you provide your typical distances for the M1, M3 (200) and 4-iron. I'm wondering myself if I should go M2 or M3.

Last edited:
Hey DMB. Just wondering why you chose the M3 over the M2 to compliment your M1? There is only a 1.5* difference between your 4-iron and the M3. Can you provide your typical distances for the M1, M3 (200) and 4-iron. I'm wondering myself if I should go M2 or M3.

I would have thought it's due to the gap and yardages hit, I have a M3 and will be getting a M1 when I get the chance. Others have said that the gaps are too small if you go for a combo directly next to each other, M2 and M3 etc

I would have thought it's due to the gap and yardages hit, I have a M3 and will be getting a M1 when I get the chance. Others have said that the gaps are too small if you go for a combo directly next to each other, M2 and M3 etc

In my experience they are not too small. People regularly play 3 degree gaps in the lower end of their set. I doubt the half degree is as much an issue as its made to be.

Posted via Tapatalk

Whilst I agree, don't you also then open up a larger gap further down the clubs. M1,M2 leaves a pretty big gap to the next club if it is not another hybrid.

I try to space out my gaps as best I can do

What is good for one is not necessarily good for another.

Whilst I agree, don't you also then open up a larger gap further down the clubs. M1,M2 leaves a pretty big gap to the next club if it is not another hybrid.

I try to space out my gaps as best I can do

What is good for one is not necessarily good for another.

Of course. I was just pointing out that the gaps between mashies aren't that different than any other hybrid out there.

Posted via Tapatalk

When I was picked as a tester, it was my goal to replace my 3hy and 4i with the Mashie. Over time I have struggled with griping down on the Mashie to replicate my 4i results. (190 yd) The Mashie preforms great when I grip it normally. (205 yd) I think the 1.5* difference between the clubs doesn't mean much. The Mashie pops a little bit more than my 4i and I get further results out of it than an 3i or my old 3hy.

After having such great results with the M3 and struggling with my 3W. I decided to give the M1 a shot as a replacement. I have achieved a lot more consistent results with it. I always struggled with the 3W off the deck. This is where the M1 won the spot out. My carry distance is the same, but roll out is less. This gives me about a 10 yd loss by changing clubs. (Average with M1 220-230) I like having the predictability with the M1 distance though. It will hold a green, unlike my old 3Ws. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Why is that this is my favorite thread on the board? Probably because the Mashie M1 is the only club in my bag that I hit straight. Consistently. It basically replaces my driver on most holes these days. There's just a weird confidence behind hitting this club. Really enjoy all the comments/reviews in this thread. I'm going to have to get a M2 and M3 pretty soon.

So sadly it is time for the Mashie to go bye bye....While I love the shaft, head and forgiveness of this fine club - It is just not reliable for me. Sometimes I still turn it over and find that now I am trying so hard not to turn it over I almost quit on it. It has officially gotten in my head. I am going to give the Adams V3 a try and see if it is me or if I just cannot hit a hybrid consistently. I am going to hold on to this club for sure - just in case.

A little off topic but has anyone swapped out the shaft into another hybrid? I really like this shaft.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like one gets about 15 yard gaps between Mashies.

My M3 & M5 arrived yesterday. Headed out for 18 today after work and am very pleased with how these are perfroming thus far. Did not get to hit them a ton today but I will just below each shot I had and the result. Bear in mind that I am not a long hitter by any means.....250-260 is a good drive for me.

Hole 4: very slightly down wind, M3 off the tee: 241 yards straight down the middle
Hole 5: M3 off tee again and pulled it left - only went about 200 yards missing the FW
Hole 11: M3 from light rough - total yardage was 234 and dead straight
Hole 13: M5 from 165 into a light wind. Caught it a tad fat but still got up to about 5 yards short of green on the right side
Hole 15: M3 off tee: 226 down the fairway on a tight par 5. Hit M3 again but did not catch it really well - still went 200 yards and ended up short of green in FW

These babies are super easy to hit and I look forward to getting them in action more. I think these will be a GREAT asset especially off the tee for me.

I see mcook has the M3 and a 5-wood. I'd be interested to know the yardage gap between those clubs. However, I'm thinking the M2 is a better replacement for a 5-wood.

I see mcook has the M3 and a 5-wood. I'd be interested to know the yardage gap between those clubs. However, I'm thinking the M2 is a better replacement for a 5-wood.

I carry those two clubs as well. They gap out just fine for me.

Posted via Tapatalk

Funny you should mention that. I actually did not have my 5W in my bag yesterday as it is getting reshafted at PGA SS....picking it up today. But, to address your question - I got home from golf and mentioned to my wife that I may have some overlap in the top end of my bag. Not necessarily between the M3 & 5W but rather between the M3 & 3W. Now I know loft wise this does not make sense but on several shots the M3 was out there with my typical 3W distance. Plan on playing twice this weekend with everything back in the bag and will report back if there is an overlap, etc.

Back