Hitting Off Mats for Practice

Thanks blu. I had the ball pretty much right up against the towel and was trying not to hit. Not a really successful practice session.

Thanks blu. I had the ball pretty much right up against the towel and was trying not to hit. Not a really successful practice session.

I'm laughing because I know how frustrated I would be if I was you.

Gotta give yourself some space between the towel and ball. I also like using the buckets as practice tools. There is a lot that you can do on mats that you can't do on grass.

I'm laughing because I know how frustrated I would be if I was you.

Gotta give yourself some space between the towel and ball. I also like using the buckets as practice tools. There is a lot that you can do on mats that you can't do on grass.

haha... thanks again. i was thinking it didnt make any sense to have 0 room but i was doing it anyway... oh well I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Hey guys,

I've been having this problem too (among others). I'd be hitting the ball great off the mats but then I'd send clumps of dirt farther than the ball when hitting off of grass. I tried the towel trick today and it went alright. But I ended up hitting A LOT of thin shots. I was probably focusing too much on not touching the towel. I just read the above post about chasing the towel and it made me think...

should I be really worried about not touching the towel at all or is a little bit of contact ok. Some of the shots that i hit today moved the towel enough to know that i hit it but i never sent it flying. those were actually the shots that i hit the best. I understand that i should be hitting the ball first and taking a divot after the ball which is why i was trying not to hit it.

it's been incredibly frustrating lately because i've been hitting better than ever off of the mats some days but then chunking like crazy in the grass.

Start off with the towel a little farther away than you think it should be to get used to it being there. After you've forgotten about towel start easing it closer and closer. It honestly is the best thing I've found to help me learn to get ball first, and unlike most other things I seldom see a golf bag without a towel.

--
tapatalk

Thanks!

You could do like my son and hit in the back yard. The only problem I have now is how much sod I will need to purchase to fix all the divots he left behind.

Mats

Mats

I spent 2 summers on mats before I went to a course cause I was scared of showing up and spraying it everywhere. Turns out I didn't do much anyhow as I learned to hit fat shots beautifully on those mats! I knew I had to get off them to un-learn it so I have barely gone to a range with mats for the last 2 years. I belong to a club and can play almost every day so I decided that I would take it to the course and figure it out there! I did and now I can "feel" if I hit if fat on a mat. But if you can only practice there use the towel - best and cheapest thing you can do to learn to hit it flush - and when you are on course - imagine the towel. I suggest buying one with something funny on it that's facing your - or something you like so it doesn't become a tense situation. I have one with a smily face and it helps as it makes me smile and have fun with the drill.
Good luck and keep at it!
Maritxa

Back