Burner 2.0 or G15 ???

Benchmade

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey gang,
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new set of irons. Right now using burner+. There very forgiving but because of my build i have to swing them with my hands very low. Acording to the static fitting from ping i should be 3 deg upright.

Do i stay with what i have and get them adjusted. Buy 6-pw Burner 2.0s or jump ship and go with Ping G15 6-pw if possible ?

I would try to demo both sets and see what you like better and what gives the best numbers on a monitor and go from there.

Having hit both, I think they are definitely 2 completely different sets that need to be hit against each other for comaprison's sake. The 2.0's are really long with some forgiveness while the G15's launch the ball higher yet not as far while offering a little more forgiveness. Granted these are my thoughts only so your results may vary.

Having hit both, I think they are definitely 2 completely different sets that need to be hit against each other for comaprison's sake. The 2.0's are really long with some forgiveness while the G15's launch the ball higher yet not as far while offering a little more forgiveness. Granted these are my thoughts only so your results may vary.

I had similar results when comparing the exact same 2 sets, with standard setup. G15, higher ball flight, loss of distance (about 1/2 a club). 2.0s, added distance (about 1/2 a club) mid-high ball flight, VERY forgiving.

I was really digging the 2.0s and would likely made the leap if I hadn't won the Mizuno's last week. Both the 2.0s and the G15s felt very good to me, but as mentioned before I would've probably went the route of the 2.0s myself.

I'm 6'0" with 'average' length arms, the 2.0's in steel R flex fit me perfectly for length & lie angle right off the rack. They are very slightly on the heavy side to swing, which works for me just fine as it feels very stable going back and through. I had gone with something with a wide bottom like the G15's (Cobra S2 max, in fact) but that didn't last a month, I recognize it was in my head but I was seriously psyched out by the width of the sole. The Burner 2.0's have a more conventional look, less offset (progressive actually, but I don't notice it at all standing over the ball), and a leading edge + medium width sole that inspires confidence. I am a hacker (should be about a 15 hcp by summer's end but more like 20 right now) but I hit these very well, and they feel very good even on an off center hit.

I did hit the G15's at the local Golf Town, but they were the bog standard 'black dot' whereas their online fitting says I'm more likely a yellow - I don't know if that's 3* upright but I would bet we are pretty close. Anyways, I hit them very poorly but I don't blame that on the clubs, I know they have a very large following.

I don't know about bending the Burners you have now but from my reading 3* might be a tall order, 2* seems to be max for many cast clubs. Which would still get you in the ballpark, so if you can get it done cheaply or free, why not at least give it a go, that is if you like the clubs now.

Anyways, you should of course hit them all but I will give my ringing endorsement to the Burner 2.0's.

I hit both and definitely liked the burners better. But I hit the ball high and the pings definitely made it too high. The 2.0 had much more of boring flight for me.

Whateve you do, go hit them both first. I wasn't a big fan of the G15's, my friend was looking at buying them and I went with him, hit them and just didn't feel good to me, like hitting a Top Rock :D I have heard great things from people who have bought the burner 2.0 and I thought they felt much better when I hit them. Good luck in your search!

I thought for sure I was going into G15s this year. After hitting them outdoors on 3 different days, they just didn't work for me. I can definitely see the attributes of the irons....straight, forgiving, accurate. Maybe the big sole and above average bounce did me in. Moral of the story, let the testings/demos do the deciding.

I am in the same boat as you, looking for a new set and I have considered and hit both of these, I had the same results everyone else is reporting....ball flight was too high with the G15's and I lost 1/2 to 3/4 club in distance because of it. The 2.0's on the other had felt like they exploded off the clubface when I really clicked one.

As has been said above; what ever you do test them! I wanted the Callaway Razr X but the golf pro advised me to test Ping G15's, TM Burner 2.0 and Mizuno jpx800's as well.

Really didn't like the Callaways at all, pushed everything and just didn't like the feel. The TM's were ok but were still 3rd favourite. Loved the Mizuno's and thought it was a done deal until I tried the Pings, evry shot was arrow straight, felt lovely off the club face.

So the Pings it is, with a couple of minor adjustments, pick them up next week :)

By the way the test I did was pretty much a blind test, so I couldn't pre-judge the clubs. The pro taped the face and then handed me the club which I took straight to swinging. Only took a couple of swings to work what club it was but definitely a good idea

I have the G15's, and am getting ready to do some testing on the burner 2.0's (thank you THP and TM). If you follow along, perhaps the feedback I can give will be helpful for you, unless you need to know immediately.

Back