Trackman Chart for Optimal Driver Fitting Numbers

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
Nice chart here from the John Graham Golf blog, listing the optimal numbers on Trackman for 4 different swing speeds: 75 mph, 90 mph, 105 mph, 120 mph. I was suprised to see the spin numbers be so high relative to what I thought (example: the "12 and 2200" that the Taylormade guys were looking for at the Kingdom). Also, it shows that a positive angle of attack (in other words, hitting up on the ball) has a big effect on carry distance, but achieving a +5 angle of attack is really hard to do. Finally, here is a definition of Spin Loft from Trackman: "Dynamic Loft - Angle of Attack. The spin loft is related to the static loft of the club, however shaft flex and hands leading or lagging the clubhead will alter this."

Screen-shot-2011-05-21-at-7.29.46-AM.png

Very interesting chart, thanks for sharing dolphin.

Thanks for sharing. It's a perfect chart to keep on my phone.

Thanks for posting this Ary. I have been working on my launch angles and am getting a lot closer to ideal...6-8 2 months ago vs. 12ish last weekend. Not swaying certainly helps!

This is an awesome resource. Thanks.

Catching the ball on the upswing is actually a really easy thing to do!

Thanks for posting. Looks like Im about 1000 more spin than I should be with a perfect launch angle. And I am losing 30 yards of carry. Hmm..

Interesting how each swing speed and each angle of attack all pretty much average 35 yds of roll +/-

--
tapatalk

I only ever look at carry distance for that very reason.

True, it just kinda jumped out at me since I used to fight high spin numbers off the tee and I had zilch for roll-out.

--
tapatalk

True, it just kinda jumped out at me since I used to fight high spin numbers off the tee and I had zilch for roll-out.

--
tapatalk

Remember, all of this is optimal numbers, so most people aren't going to carry it as far with the same swing speed on the chart or get that much roll. However, it is interesting to see those numbers as what is possible for a certain swing speed. I'm in the 101-103 mph ballpark, and it would be awesome to regularly hit it 280 in terms of total distance. I hit a couple of drives the other day that were 290 (GPS-verified) but both of them took advantage of hitting the fairway on the downslope and rolling a long way.

Remember, all of this is optimal numbers, so most people aren't going to carry it as far with the same swing speed on the chart or get that much roll. However, it is interesting to see those numbers as what is possible for a certain swing speed. I'm in the 101-103 mph ballpark, and it would be awesome to regularly hit it 280 in terms of total distance. I hit a couple of drives the other day that were 290 (GPS-verified) but both of them took advantage of hitting the fairway on the downslope and rolling a long way.

I agree, just some things jump out at me. Used to have a similar chart at a place I practiced at. 290 is 290 :)

--
tapatalk

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome....that's getting printed out and put on the fridge imo!

Nice find. Thanks for sharing. There's a Trackman at my local range, so I might hop on and compare numbers, see just how far out I am!

Nice find. Thanks for sharing. There's a Trackman at my local range, so I might hop on and compare numbers, see just how far out I am!

One thing that I just thought of for you, you may find that the optimal numbers don't work as well for your game due to conditions. For example, the numbers that I see from the PGA Tour usually has lower launch angles than what is above, but those guys take advantage of the normally firm and fast conditions of the fairways to get more roll. With you being in Scotland, you may find that a lower launch helps you not get affected by the wind as much. On the flip side, the number above are optimal for total distance, I wonder if you could tweak the numbers to get more carry distance, but less total distance overall; a situation like that would be better in soft or wet conditions where you're not going to get much roll anyways.

Is the spin loft the same as the club loft?

Not exactly. First of all, the dynamic loft is the loft of the club that is delivered to the ball. For example, if you have a 10 degree driver and you hit the ball without any foreward or backward shaft lean, your dynamic loft is 10 degrees. However, if you take that same 10 degree driver and have 2 degrees of foreward shaft lean at impact, your dynamic loft is 8 degrees. For the angle of attack, a positive number means that you're hitting up on the ball, and a negative number means you are hitting down on the ball. The angle of attack should be negative for all clubs other than the driver. So if you're hitting 1 degree up on that 10 degree driver with 2 degrees of foreward shaft lean, your spin loft is 7 degrees.

I got a lot of that info from a thread on Brian Manzella's forum, which also goes over a lot more Trackman info in this thread: http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfin...-learning-trackman-research-smash-factor.html

I need to start catching the ball on the ascending part of my swing....

Numbers are pretty close. My driver club head is around 120, and yesterday on the simulator my ball speed avg was 177 with a high of 183 and I was launching it right around 9 degrees.

Now how do I make sure I'm not hitting with a descending blow...

I am betting my spin is too low. Can't argue with the results I am getting however. Not changing a thing for awhile.

I need to start catching the ball on the ascending part of my swing....

Numbers are pretty close. My driver club head is around 120, and yesterday on the simulator my ball speed avg was 177 with a high of 183 and I was launching it right around 9 degrees.

Now how do I make sure I'm not hitting with a descending blow...

My swing speed and ball speed numbers are nowhere near yours, but in the times that I've been on Trackman, my angle of attack is anywhere from 0 to -1 degrees, not good. However, any time I try to put the ball further forward in my stance or increase my spine tilt away from the ball, my accuracy gets worse. I'd love some more distance with hitting the ball on the upswing, but I can't deal with hitting foul balls off of the tee.

Great chart to have when going to a Trackman session! I'm printing this now! lol

Thanks Ary

One thing that I just thought of for you, you may find that the optimal numbers don't work as well for your game due to conditions. For example, the numbers that I see from the PGA Tour usually has lower launch angles than what is above, but those guys take advantage of the normally firm and fast conditions of the fairways to get more roll. With you being in Scotland, you may find that a lower launch helps you not get affected by the wind as much. On the flip side, the number above are optimal for total distance, I wonder if you could tweak the numbers to get more carry distance, but less total distance overall; a situation like that would be better in soft or wet conditions where you're not going to get much roll anyways.

Very good points. No doubt conditions would play a major role in these numbers. I tend to favour a lower launch in most situations anyway, and I've actually been cultivating a fade from the tee to control my accuracy a little more. These figures are great and give a very good reference point, but I wouldn't go out looking for them to match up exactly (not like they would!). I've been messing about with my woods in particular this year to try to maximise my accuracy, but importantly just for the shots I'm likely to play - which is probably vastly different to the optimal launch conditions in perfect conditions.

Now if I could find a way to get 15MPH more speed, I would get an extra 50 yards of carry.

Interesting chart. My numbers were real close to that (105mph swing) during my fitting at fujikura. It was real interesting to see the difference different shafts make with the same head and how each shaft can affect the numbers, good and bad.

Thanks for posting the chart.

Back