New Irons, Shafts and Mizunos Optimizer

Xt1ncT-NZ

Englishman in New Zealand
Reaction score
Handicap
First my admission - I've been a "club ho" for the last 8 years - actually longer, but let's just keep it to while I've been in NZ shall we :D

Since coming here I've had: 2003 - Lynx Black Cats, traded to TaylorMade OS Reg flex. These helped me come from an 18 handicap down to 12. 2004 - traded the TMs for Ben Hogan Apex FTX stock stiff 4. I had these adjusted 1* up and fitted with my fave Lamkin Crossline full cord grips, these took me from 12 down to my lowest ever of 6.9. 2006 - traded the Hogans for the worst irons I have ever owned - Mizuno MX900s, this was simply because I was going through a period where I just couldn't hit my Hogans. These didn't last long, and the same year I traded them for my favorite clubs EVER. Tourstage z101's. All I have to say about these is I liked them so much I bought a 2nd set! That was so I could keep a set of club at my father in laws house ;) .

This brings us right up to date. Early in 2010 I decided for some unknown reason (probably the club-ho in me coming out) to buy a set of J36 combo irons. PX5.5 shafts. I quickly put the Lamkin grips on them. These clubs are nice, very nice in fact. One problem. I really dislike the pocket cavity 3-5 irons. And my dislike is growing daily! The dislike isn't justified, as I know I can hit them well and maybe it's mainly a subconscious thing. If they were the CBs all the way through the set I'd probably be fine. But they're not, and it's not fine.

So, right now I have them for sale on an auction site here in NZ. I've already sold my R9 3 & 5 woods (going to replace with a 4 wood, or maybe the 910f so I can adjust the loft in line with conditions), I'm also selling my x tour wedges. And this is what I am looking to go to:

Driver - keep my 910 D2, shafted with RIP Alpha 60s.
Fairway - most probably going to a 910F 17* - if too windy I can reduce the loft - I may still go for a 15* and increase the loft, the jury is still out on that one.
Hybrid - keep my TM Rescue 2009 model - 19* and a 2-3 iron replacement
Irons - TBD!!!
Wedges - not sure of the model yet, but most probably Callaway Jaws 52, 56 & 60
Putter - I am currently gaming a SeeMore mFGP 34". I also have a custom shop Scotty Mil-Spec with my name stamped onto the face. Have had it since 2006, and it needs a bit of TLC to bring it back to it's best. Beautiful putter though.

So now to my iron dilemma.

What I like - clean lines, not too "chunky". Prefer forged, but not a deal breaker!

Irons I've tried:

AP2 (like very much), I15 (really really want to like, but I just dont. Could be the AWT shaft), MP53, MP63, JPX800 Pro, Razr X Tour (like very much), and yesterday I went to the shop I frequent in bad weather and the pro there suggested TM CBs.

I've been on the Mizuno Optimizer a number of times, but I wanted to check that the numbers were still right, and the 3 swings I made with it gave me a 90mpg swing speed, and 6,3,8,9 in the other numbers - these are tempo, toe down, kick point and one more thing that I can't remember, and also maybe not in that order!

The shafts it suggested were DG XP S300 hard stepped once, PX 6.0, KBS Tour X Stiff soft stepped once. I tried the PX and KBS and the KBS was my preference. They can't soft or hard step from the fitting cart so I tried the stock stiff and extra stiff shafts. The pro is firmly of the opinion that with my swing that the stiff will be too soft. And I'm fine with that. Did I mention that I've used this fitting tool about 5 or 6 times now all with the same shafts coming up? I love it! Anybody buying new clubs should definitely use it!

I always thought that maybe my shafts were too stiff, turns out the opposite is true!

My dilemma is which iron to go with. I now only play once a fortnight, although I try to practice twice a week if possible (I have my own business and work evenings on occasion). I've really narrowed my choice down to the AP2s, Razr X Tours (not tested with the KBS as the fitting cart didnt have that head or shaft), Cleveland CG16 Tours (only downside is that they seem to launch really high) and the TM CBs. Right now I am leaning towards the CBs simply because I think they'll be a bit more forgiving though the set which is pretty important to me. Also important is the nice top line on both sets.

So, what do people here think? Have you tried any of the above? What about shaft selection?

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

Rob

After talking to my brother today, the RH Tours offer far more forgiveness for him than the CB's.

You also know that I just received the tours and have the kbs in x stiff soft stepped. I haven't hit them yet but will be tomorrow. I'll certainly leave some feedback tomorrow night.

I'm also very biased at this point :)

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

After talking to my brother today, the RH Tours offer far more forgiveness for him than the CB's.

You also know that I just received the tours and have the kbs in x stiff soft stepped. I haven't hit them yet but will be tomorrow. I'll certainly leave some feedback tomorrow night.

I'm also very biased at this point :)

interesting, so he considers the Razr Tours more forgiving than CBs. Now I'm rethinking myself yet again! I just read the Callaway thread and noted your specs are almost exactly the same as mine, only differences are I'm a Lefty that plays Righty and I have 2* up not 3*.

I look forward to your review of them with interest.

Last edited:
Been gaming the AP2's with PX shafts for two years now and love the combo.

interesting, so he considers the Razr Tours more forgiving than CBs. Now I'm rethinking myself yet again! I just read the Callaway thread and noted your specs are almost exactly the same as mine, only differences are I'm a Lefty that plays Righty and I have 2* up not 3*.

I look forward to your review of them with interest.

He thinks the tours are more forgiving, yes. I'm sure he'll be posting tomorrow.

He thinks the tours are more forgiving, yes. I'm sure he'll be posting tomorrow.

Bugger! Looks like I need to try them side by side - not done that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugger! Looks like I need to try them side by side - not done that yet.

Yeah, a side by side battle is always a good, and fun thing to do. There's just some great options out there man, I swear. It should be fun following your progress and seeing what ends up in your bag.

I have the RXTs w/ PX 6.0s and absolutely love them. If you were stateside I'd direct you to my "For Sale" post. :D

In all seriousness, though, these irons are very forgiving for being "tour" irons with minimal offset. I don't know if it's the lofts or the shafts or whatnot but I've also picked up a club in distance (150 club went from a 7 iron to an 8 iron). I would certainly recommend them to anyone looking for a forgiving, easy-to-hit "player's" iron.

Yeah, a side by side battle is always a good, and fun thing to do. There's just some great options out there man, I swear. It should be fun following your progress and seeing what ends up in your bag.

For sure! Just need to find somewhere with a fitting cart. Where I normally go has Ping, Titleist, TM, Mizuno and Callaway - but their Callaway cart is shocking. Hardly any heads and an awful selection of shafts :(

I have the RXTs w/ PX 6.0s and absolutely love them. If you were stateside I'd direct you to my "For Sale" post. :D

In all seriousness, though, these irons are very forgiving for being "tour" irons with minimal offset. I don't know if it's the lofts or the shafts or whatnot but I've also picked up a club in distance (150 club went from a 7 iron to an 8 iron). I would certainly recommend them to anyone looking for a forgiving, easy-to-hit "player's" iron.

Haha if I was stateside that would be dangerous - although I'm not a lover of the 6.0s. I once had a set if X Forged that I brought in fro EBay with those in and I just hit everything right with them. Ever since then I've shied away from those shafts.

No testing for me this week - had a side strain last Sunday, and boy did it hurt! Been resting it through the week, and saw my Chiro yesterday - going again Monday. Major golf withdrawal symptoms going on right now! I hate Saturday's without golf! Right about now is my normal tee off time :(

So, I'm pretty sure what irons I king with - now it's a question of sorting the rest of the bag. Recently I've carried both a 3 & 5 wood. Am giving serious thought to dropping both and using a 4 wood. pretty much so I can go from the 4 wood to my 3 hybrid then 4-GW and a sand am library wedge

How many of you have gone this route? I feel I need more options closer to the green, now 200+ meters out.

I wish I saw this thread earlier so I could chime in but seeing your sig you made up your mind on irons already. I recently purchased the RXT's and love them. I did a side by side comparison with the CB's, MC's, CG16 Tours, JPX Pro's (all had the DG S300 as the stock shaft except for the CB's) at the THP Outing and these won out. Basically these were the most forgiving player's option iron out there hands down. Yes the Callaway cart is less to be desired so whilst being fit for shaft I did the Optimizer as well and tested shafts with the 800 Pro head. Decided on a shaft (Rifle 6.0) and was confident in my decision (I mishit some with the 800 Pro and it hurt like hell). So basically I went down the same path as you to a degree. Great choice and congrats.

As far as the bottom of the bag, if you go 4W-3h-4-PW the PW on the RXT's is at 45* which leaves a huge gap to the 52*. On my set I went PW-AW 50*-SW 54*-LW 58*. Top of the bag you can go 3W or 4W then 3h-4h or 4i-PW. I think you could stick to the 3W at 15* since your 3h is at 19* and the RXT 4i is 23*.

I wish I saw this thread earlier so I could chime in but seeing your sig you made up your mind on irons already. I recently purchased the RXT's and love them. I did a side by side comparison with the CB's, MC's, CG16 Tours, JPX Pro's (all had the DG S300 as the stock shaft except for the CB's) at the THP Outing and these won out. Basically these were the most forgiving player's option iron out there hands down. Yes the Callaway cart is less to be desired so whilst being fit for shaft I did the Optimizer as well and tested shafts with the 800 Pro head. Decided on a shaft (Rifle 6.0) and was confident in my decision (I mishit some with the 800 Pro and it hurt like hell). So basically I went down the same path as you to a degree. Great choice and congrats.

As far as the bottom of the bag, if you go 4W-3h-4-PW the PW on the RXT's is at 45* which leaves a huge gap to the 52*. On my set I went PW-AW 50*-SW 54*-LW 58*. Top of the bag you can go 3W or 4W then 3h-4h or 4i-PW. I think you could stick to the 3W at 15* since your 3h is at 19* and the RXT 4i is 23*.
Thanks man, actually managed to hit 110 balls yesterday, and spent a good part of those hitting the rxt 6 iron. Ok it had the s300 shaft so not perfect, but boy are they easy to hit, and loooong!

Have sold my 3 & 5 wood, but have an old (from 2006) Callaway X Tour 3 wood hanging around so hit that a bit and it went really well, so I may just go with what you said for now. Eventually I'd like to get a 910f, so I can adjust the loft - maybe add a bit to take it to about 16*.

Then gonna think about a 54 bent to 55 and 60 jaws from Rock Bottom - selling for around $60 at the moment.

Good times!!

I use to own the X Tour 3wood and have always regretted selling it. Sounds like your bag is starting to come together dude.

I use to own the X Tour 3wood and have always regretted selling it. Sounds like your bag is starting to come together dude.

Ahhh golf club regrets! That's a whole other thread my friend! EDIT: so I started one! Haha

-Tourstage z101
-Ben Hogan FTX
-Scotty Mil-Spec
-Ping Anser Specify (this was an awesome putter!)

All these among others :)

Last edited:
So, I ended up with totally different clubs to the ones mentioned:

Ping i15 4-PW, with KBS X stiff, soft-stepped. Have also ordered a Tour-S 50* wedge.

Now I just need to decide whether I go 54* & 58*, 54* & 60* or 56* & 60*

I'm really not sure which way to go - what do other combinations do THP'ers go to?

Personally, I would go 54, 58. That's the setup I'll be winning points with in the MC.

Personally, I would go 54, 58. That's the setup I'll be winning points with in the MC.

I'm leaning this way and I even have a 58* already so would only need to get a 54*.

At the same time, I'd like the higher shot a 60* could potentially give me!

Decisions, decisions!

So I got a call from the golf shop - my new :ping: i15s have arrived. Just gotta make time to go pick em up tomorrow!

Can't wait \o/

What a great two days - first I get told my i15s have arrived, then a box turns up at work with this in it:

Well I played my first round with my new i15s and tour s wedge.

First round for about 2 and a half months - back injury kept me out.

One thing I'll have to get used to is the distance these things go! I was hitting the 50* wedge 110 meters (about 122 yards). The 9 iron went about 135 meters, and the 8 148 meters.

That's long for me.

Anyway, really happy with the KBS shafts, they feel much better than my old PX5.5s. Looking forward to getting the 54* and 60* tour s wedges as well. Really easy to hit, and so solid.

Also tested a 910f 15* which I set to 16.5, really solid and pretty easy to hit off the deck.

Just need the weather here in NZ to get better so I can play some more.

Sounds like you had a good first experience with the clubs. That is a sharp looking wedge. Did you end up with 50, 54 58?

Okay, I'm gonna sound stupid here...but as someone who has never been fitted for clubs, can somebody tell me what "hard stepped and soft stepped" is?

Back