Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
I going to move up and play the Senior Tees. If I had been playing up there all year I would have been in the money in this year's club championship. I moved back a set of tees as my handicap was climbing due to the easier slope rating. To heck with that. I going to play where my age group tees are and take the cushion that comes with it. Is that wrong? I shoot the same or actually better scores from the white tee boxes (regular) which are behind the senior tees. No more vanity, let the handicap rise :alien:

I'm all for playing where you're comfortable and letting your handicap work out on its own. Good luck Gray and let us know how your handicap changes based on the move.

I think you should play where you are most inclined to enjoy the game. I know lots of guys that are you using the same logic you do, although they don't have nearly the success at the tees they opt to play.

I going to move up and play the Senior Tees. If I had been playing up there all year I would have been in the money in this year's club championship. I moved back a set of tees as my handicap was climbing due to the easier slope rating. To heck with that. I going to play where my age group tees are and take the cushion that comes with it. Is that wrong?[/U] I shoot the same or actually better scores from the white tee boxes (regular) which are behind the senior tees. No more vanity, let the handicap rise :alien:

Not really my friend, if you plan to play that tournament and you are to play those tees in the tournament you should play them all of the time so your scores truly reflect what your handicap should be.

I'm with you OG, I likely should do the same, but still playing the standard tee's. I did play one set up last year in a few tournments and played well, but I just couldn't get stay there,lol.

If you qualify to play the senior tees, then you should play from there.

I going to move up and play the Senior Tees. If I had been playing up there all year I would have been in the money in this year's club championship. I moved back a set of tees as my handicap was climbing due to the easier slope rating. To heck with that. I going to play where my age group tees are and take the cushion that comes with it. Is that wrong? I shoot the same or actually better scores from the white tee boxes (regular) which are behind the senior tees. No more vanity, let the handicap rise :alien:
No, that's not wrong. In the long run you'll probably have more fun and score better too. I moved up today when I played nine (it was chilly: mid-50's, wet, and the course was soaked), and shot a 37. THAT was fun. On the way home I was wondering if I should play from that set of tees more often. I don't think it's vanity Gray. I think it's practical and realistic. We aren't getting any younger you know. :)

Not really my friend, if you plan to play that tournament and you are to play those tees in the tournament you should play them all of the time so your scores truly reflect what your handicap should be.

You can bet ya booty I will be hitting from the Senior tees from now on :thumb:

The whole thing behind the new PGA & USGA "Play it forward" initiative, is to play tee's to your index & driver distance and not to age and gender. I say play whatever tee's make the game the most fun for you. Nothing wrong about it at all.

Play from where you are comfortable. I play from the whites regardless of what others are doing. I witnessed today WAY TOO many people playing from the blues that had ZERO business back there. Anyhow...let them enjoy the higher scores from back there!!

I agree, you should play from wherever you are most comfortable!

Not only that but where ever your having the most fun.

To me having fun is having a challenge so I prefer to go the tips when possible even if it is out of my reach but I just think a challenge is fun

I found the same kind of thing (only different-at least from Thechosen1 :smile:). At the course I play the most, I can score about the same or better (handicap wise) from the back tees, but the tees one up are more enjoyable. For me, that's being able to hit a 7-, 8-, or 9-iron into the green instead of a 5- or 6-iron. It also keeps me from trying too hard with my driver, which lets me keep in control of my game more.

Play where you have the most fun. The handicap will be what it will be. It is the same here, I play the back tees during the summer and score the same or better so my index comes down about 2 points. My regular weekday foursome has two on the whites (front tees), one on the blues, and me on the back. We all have a good time and my weekend group adds two to my handicap if I play the back tees since most guys play the blues. We also subtract 2 from handicaps of guys playing the whites on the weekend, same reason.

If it's for a league, and other players of your age play the tees further up, and that gives them an advantage, I would play up with them. Just because you are better does not mean you should give up an advantage.

Move up, and give'em hell!

It does suck that it affects your handicap negatively. It's such a joke anyway. The day I start hitting driver wedge every hole is the day I'll move back. I play whites and still have a hybrid in my hand quite a bit. I played a course that is 5,600 yards last weekend and it was amazing how different it played out for me. All of a sudden I actually was close to having the chance to go for a par 5 in two. Not that I did or even would have hit the green if I'd tried, but it was nice to have the option.

It does suck that it affects your handicap negatively. It's such a joke anyway. The day I start hitting driver wedge every hole is the day I'll move back. I play whites and still have a hybrid in my hand quite a bit. I played a course that is 5,600 yards last weekend and it was amazing how different it played out for me. All of a sudden I actually was close to having the chance to go for a par 5 in two. Not that I did or even would have hit the green if I'd tried, but it was nice to have the option.

Hehe I know the feeling, I'm slowly increasing my SS with driver, I know i have to push hard to poke it out there accurately to 250. Even then still left with 200 in sometimes which is NOT an accurate club...

I've been going at some par5's in two to get me ready to compete. And I never would have had an eagle chip had I not gone for it. I'm guessing a nice chip and an easy putt for birdie is easier than laying up to get on in 3- and hope I hit it close for the birdie.

Back