Adams Redline Iron & Hybrid Set Preview

Thanks, wceub. I appreciate the kind words. Once again, really enjoyed hitting these irons today. Review is basically wrapped up and should be up in the next week or two.

Stellar feedback as always Hawk!

Stellar feedback as always Hawk!

+1! You're making it really hard not to want these Hawkster! Of all the irons I hit at Demo Day, these were by far the nicest.

It's a no namer. Redline Performance 85 - Steel, They seem bulkier at the butt section and I can't really figure out a shaft to compare them to. Performance wise, they keep up with my slow swing just fine. High ball flight, but no ballooning. I was hitting them straight into the wind today and was pleasantly surprised.

Mine came in yesterday. What a nice iron set. The shafts are True Temper for sure. Their TT Finest Quality black mark is there beneath the speed steps. Now as to the type of TT shaft, beats me. I used this link http://www.truetemper.com/golf/pages.php?pID=26&CDpath=6 to help identify the shaft. I really can't come close to a match. Thought for sure it would be the GS85 but the steps are all wrong. Seems to be a cross between a GS85 and a DG SL perhaps? Defnitely a made for shaft and when it stops raining I can get reacquainted with this iron. Pretty stoked. The red new decades go perfectly with this stick!

Great reviews guys. Like the looks of these. Tried an Adams set a few months ago, really liked them.

I'm not sure if this will be useful for anyone, but I hit the Redlines in a simulator alongside the Wilson Di11 and Callaway RAZR X. I tired the Di11's in the steel shaft and the half and half. I eliminated them first. They just didn't feel right--to me it seemed like there was a big lump behind the center of the club face. Between the Redlines and RAZRs, though, it's a very tough call. The RAZR clubhead seemed to pull my swing right onto the plane and into a full follow through when I executed decently. The Redlines didn't quite have that sweet weighting feel, but were still very nice to hit.

For what it's worth, I carried the Redline 7i about 165 and the 5i about 185 on the best shots. Here's what I remember from the numbers on the 5i for a good swing:

Clubhead speed: 89-93 mph
Ball speed: 115-120 mph
Carry: 183-187
Total distance: 190-195

This is on a simulator, so take it for what it's worth. The Redline 5i is one degree less lofted than my current 4i, so these distances seem about right. Poorly executed shots carried about 170, but really depended on how poorly I executed. I didn't get quite this distance from the RAZRs.

I'm really torn now. The GolfTown I was at hadn't sold a single set of Redlines (which didn't surprise me). I doubt I'd sell them if they work well, but the resale on these is going to be next to nil compared to the RAZRs (this is only a minor consideration for me, as long the clubs play well). I actually don't mind the dull finish. I can see the chrome RAZRs looking rather bad (pitted, dinged, scratched) after I hit out of some of the places I hit my clubs, but the Redlines might not show the abuse so much. The RAZRs seemed to have the better weighting, but both seem quite forgiving and I hit some good shots with both.

It's going to be a tough decision...

I doubt I'd sell them if they work well, but the resale on these is going to be next to nil compared to the RAZRs (this is only a minor consideration for me, as long the clubs play well).

Agreed. Adam's resale is horrific. My suggestion is buy only what you like in the set, no need to get all 8 pieces unless you need to, and talk to Blind9 Golf, sponsors here at THP. Could help minimize your loss if you decide to go another direction this time next year.

Wish I could help you, but I really liked both sets you mentioned as well. The resale issue is definitely there, but my thought is that I would pick the set that performed best for me and expect to play them for awhile.

Not surprising to see that these are getting overlooked at the store, but it's a shame. They are a really solid set of clubs. I think some flashier looks and better marketing would do wonders for them.

I'm not sure if this will be useful for anyone, but I hit the Redlines in a simulator alongside the Wilson Di11 and Callaway RAZR X. I tired the Di11's in the steel shaft and the half and half. I eliminated them first. They just didn't feel right--to me it seemed like there was a big lump behind the center of the club face. Between the Redlines and RAZRs, though, it's a very tough call. The RAZR clubhead seemed to pull my swing right onto the plane and into a full follow through when I executed decently. The Redlines didn't quite have that sweet weighting feel, but were still very nice to hit.

For what it's worth, I carried the Redline 7i about 165 and the 5i about 185 on the best shots. Here's what I remember from the numbers on the 5i for a good swing:

Clubhead speed: 89-93 mph
Ball speed: 115-120 mph
Carry: 183-187
Total distance: 190-195

This is on a simulator, so take it for what it's worth. The Redline 5i is one degree less lofted than my current 4i, so these distances seem about right. Poorly executed shots carried about 170, but really depended on how poorly I executed. I didn't get quite this distance from the RAZRs.

I'm really torn now. The GolfTown I was at hadn't sold a single set of Redlines (which didn't surprise me). I doubt I'd sell them if they work well, but the resale on these is going to be next to nil compared to the RAZRs (this is only a minor consideration for me, as long the clubs play well). I actually don't mind the dull finish. I can see the chrome RAZRs looking rather bad (pitted, dinged, scratched) after I hit out of some of the places I hit my clubs, but the Redlines might not show the abuse so much. The RAZRs seemed to have the better weighting, but both seem quite forgiving and I hit some good shots with both.

It's going to be a tough decision...

I'm planning to get 4-GW, so an 8-piece set. I may not need the 4i, but it would give me options--if I hit it well, it would probably be in the bag most of the time.

I've been playing my current set for over 15 years, so it's not like I have a habit of buying and selling clubs; but the hitting experience is close between the Redlines and RAZRs so I'm looking for other differentiating factors. I'm wondering what Adams will do if these don't sell. Maybe revamp the look of them next year (at which point I could probably get a set of the current ones for a much lower price). As I said, the dull finish might wear a lot better than a chrome finish so it might be a good thing (except for the rather cheap, department store look they have). If there were a clear winner based on how I hit them, it wouldn't be a though decision at all.

I know the Redlines are new, but there's almost nothing out there about them. This site is one of the few with any real content about them (thanks, guys). No user reviews on Golfsmith, no independent reviews that I can find, not much advertising, and few forum threads.

Here's a question: does anyone know whether Ralph Maltby had any hand in the Redline's design? I read something on another forum about him doing design work for some companies, including Adams. Since there is no MPF that I can find on these clubs (probably a combination of being too new and not popular enough--too late for his 2011 listing), it would be interesting to confirm whether or not he had any design input.

Back