The New Sticks are here and built to spec.

I am the first to say get em dirty, but those are too pretty to hit. Well done!

Great looking set...enjoy! I'd specifically be interested in hearing your thoughts on the C-Tapers.

Beautiful set of irons !!

Great looking sticks I actually like those grips alittle better than my Golf Pride ones

Really nice looking sticks. Interesting that you would go with such low launching shafts with such low lofted irons. I'd be burning the worms!

If those clubs were walking by in a skirt I'd probably cat call and whistle at them.

OK, so the range session was pretty DARN good to say the least. When comparing them to my old gamers I was really awe struck. I'm going to have to get used to distances. My old 8 iron distance was 155 carry, now I knew these Z-Stars were stronger so I played the 9 iron like my old 8 iron. Confusing right......
Anywho, The Z-Star 9 iron was 170 carry!! I'm going to contribute that to the KBS C-Taper shafts. The shafts felt awesome, the launch wasn't amazingly lower like most have had, but they were lower than the S300's and Project X. The main thing was spin reduction which also lead to increased yardage.
So as of right now, these are permanently in my bag. I will be playing 18 tomorrow, so I will really be able to put them to the test.

More to come,
Wes

Thanks for the update Wes, sounds like you were killing them right off! I'm interested about the C-Tapers, you say they launch even lower than the S300s? That's interesting. Are they expected to do this or is it a 'for your swing' type of thing?

Thanks for the update Wes, sounds like you were killing them right off! I'm interested about the C-Tapers, you say they launch even lower than the S300s? That's interesting. Are they expected to do this or is it a 'for your swing' type of thing?

They are expected to be lower. I drive down on the ball very hard which probably equates to the high ball and high spin I get. At the range last night it was windy! I struggled a little bit, cause I wasn't used to the wind and in the Coachella Valley it blows hard in the night. In a standard 5-10mph wind these cut through pretty well, but last night was a 20+mph wind and I had no clue what I was doing. I don't know if I was just not squaring the club face up, or if the range balls were to blame, but I'm going to go to the range after the wife gets back from the gym. Hopefully I will figure out what I was doing wrong last night.

They are expected to be lower. I drive down on the ball very hard which probably equates to the high ball and high spin I get. At the range last night it was windy! I struggled a little bit, cause I wasn't used to the wind and in the Coachella Valley it blows hard in the night. In a standard 5-10mph wind these cut through pretty well, but last night was a 20+mph wind and I had no clue what I was doing. I don't know if I was just not squaring the club face up, or if the range balls were to blame, but I'm going to go to the range after the wife gets back from the gym. Hopefully I will figure out what I was doing wrong last night.

I see. I wasn't aware of the launch characteristics of these shafts until now. DG proclaim low launch as it is, and the C-Tapers really are getting some good press so far.
Sure you're just bedding them in, and you'll get a handle on it. It can be very difficult to predict in a strong wind when you're not sure about the regular ball flight as it is. A bad flight tells you nothing, a good flight can be made to look like a bad one!

Just caught up, and those are sweet looking! Love the grips too! Hit 'em well!

Sticks feel great. Here's #9 at Indian Wells Celebrity course.
aefe5334-78cb-02c2.jpg

Another range session down and I'm back in love with these sticks.
I think loosening the grip pressure did amazing things for me, I just need to make sure I drive through the ball consistently and be sure of myself.

On another note, upgrading to a new Project X shaft in my 09 Taylormade Burner TP was the best thing I have ever done to hit fairways. I'm now a fairway hitting machine, I have the confidence to swing hard and hit a bomb or ease off a little bit and hit a nice cut. Seriously though......this driver is LONG!!!! I've never had this much roll out in my driver EVER!!!!

Glad to hear you're back on track with them buddy. They are stunning.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Glad to hear you're back on track with them buddy. They are stunning.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Hey bud, did you get yours shafted up yet?

Caught up with this thread today. Seriously beautiful setup you have there. Makes me want to hold on to my C-Tapers as that satin finish is just freakin awesome!

Great sticks and sounds like they're playing nice for/with you. Thanks for the write up!

Caught up with this thread today. Seriously beautiful setup you have there. Makes me want to hold on to my C-Tapers as that satin finish is just freakin awesome!

Great sticks and sounds like they're playing nice for/with you. Thanks for the write up!

Honestly it just depends on what your launch and spin numbers are. If the shaft doesn't fit your game, then don't waste the time and money to shaft them up. Just my 2 cents.

On another note, playing a round today and tomorrow. Today I'm playing in the afternoon in the wind, so it should be a good test.

Hey bud, did you get yours shafted up yet?

No, I haven't yet. I'm still pondering what to put them in. I'm very hesitant to put them in the 2.0's as I believe the stock shafts are what makes those things as wicked as they are.

How are you liking them?

No, I haven't yet. I'm still pondering what to put them in. I'm very hesitant to put them in the 2.0's as I believe the stock shafts are what makes those things as wicked as they are.

How are you liking them?

Dude.......diggng them for sure. It took a little bit to get used to, especially since I went with fit clubs and wasn't used to +1/2" and 2 degrees upright. The hardest part for me was agreeing on the correct stiffness. I was fit to straight into X-Flex, but I like to take some off my swing sometimes to do a little more shaping so I went with the hard stepped Stiff+. I feel they suit me well, but I also feel like I could of gone Stiff+ straight in and been ok.

Overall, I'm loving them. Now that I know where my proper release point is on the down swing, I'm crushing these beauties. On a side note, I've been hitting a ton of fairways. The shaft change in my driver to a Project X 6A4 cut to 44 1/2" has done wonders!! Hit 12 fairways at Indian Wells Celebrity Course this week. Plus hitting out of the fairways does wonders for the game!

I think you're right on not wanting to change out shafts on the 2.0s. The shafts are specifically made for those club heads! I think the C-Tapers in some Razr X-Tours would be sickness, or even in some Razr X-Forged.

So how's the game coming along?

Another round in. Once again I'm just trying to commit to these irons. If I don't do that I push it right and lose 15+ yards everytime!! So on one hole I lay up off the tee and don't commit with my 7 iron, it goes 150 yards. WTF!! The next hole is 186 pin and I hit 7 iron pin high to 5 ft. Once again WTF!!!! It's a little frustrating at times.

On a side note my driver and short game saved my tail today. A nice smooth 76.

Well another round down and I think its time to make some adjustments. I'm so used to std. clubs that this 2 degrees upright is not working for me. So I think I might go to 1 degree upright before I make the decision to go back to std. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Well another round down and I think its time to make some adjustments. I'm so used to std. clubs that this 2 degrees upright is not working for me. So I think I might go to 1 degree upright before I make the decision to go back to std. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Were you fit for them at 2* upright?

Were you fit for them at 2* upright?

It was more of a static fitting. It was done by golf galaxy. I've played 2 degree upright cubs before and ended up going back to standard. I was just giving it a try to see if it would help my game, but I'm just not comfortable with the clubs that close to my body. And if I extend them out I hit a big pull hook as the heal digs into the ground.

Quick update:

Well after reading through the The keys to The Effortless Swing thread, I purchased the book on amazon for my phone. I read through it last night and it got me right back on track. Tonights range session was AMAZING!!! I know I will need to keep practicing, but it gave me new hope for these sticks. Flying 9 iron 170 yards is pretty sweet, if I turn on the PW it'll go 165, but there's no need for that. I like the smooth 9 iron at 160 though, it's just so DANG effortless. I was bombing 3 wood as well. The driver was a little different for me, so definitely need some practice there. It either goes really far or it just flares off and goes nowhere. Playing 18 tomorrow morning, so I will post some results after the round.

Quick update:

Well after reading through the The keys to The Effortless Swing thread, I purchased the book on amazon for my phone. I read through it last night and it got me right back on track. Tonights range session was AMAZING!!! I know I will need to keep practicing, but it gave me new hope for these sticks. Flying 9 iron 170 yards is pretty sweet, if I turn on the PW it'll go 165, but there's no need for that. I like the smooth 9 iron at 160 though, it's just so DANG effortless. I was bombing 3 wood as well. The driver was a little different for me, so definitely need some practice there. It either goes really far or it just flares off and goes nowhere. Playing 18 tomorrow morning, so I will post some results after the round.

Glad to hear things are working out. How do you like the 20xi?

Back