US Open Predictions - THP Staff

Eff Google buddy. I looked at it as driving isn't as paramount at a US Open (golf) as a short game and putting can be with how fast the greens usually are. I was also thinking that if this was going to be the year that someone who hasn't won a major could win one then why not Stricker who has quite a few good showings in majors?

Dude, average with a driver = not good at the US Open. Same way Phil can't play worth a shat in the British. I suspect Luke will actually have a good finish, just not higher than the man himself, toothy.

Lot of love for Westwood :D

Interesting to see everyone's picks.

+2. Westwood got lots of attention and rightly so I think.

These were some of the hardest picks I have had to make but it was a lot of fun. I really did just close my eyes and pick a player because the field is just that wide open. It will be very interesting who starts off strong and then who finished strong, because I have a feeling it won't be the same person.

I have a feeling that the winner will be there or thereabouts after Friday's round

Enjoyed the picks. Loved the line about Westwood not playing on Sunday because he's so religious. Haha

Nice picks and interesting thoughts. I am curious to see how this year's open goes because the field really seems to be wide open and there are a lot of golfers playing well this year with a real shot at winning.

Sticker is just getting it done right now, he's going to win. And why would I need google to tell me that the top ranked American golfer is going to win the US Open? C'mon now. On my way into work today listening to PGA Tour radio a lot of people were picking Kuch to pull out the win, why not? Could be a good pick right here too. I'm sticking with Strick though.

Awesome read. Glad to see Stricker getting some love after his win.

Tap before talk.

Great article. I think I agree most with Jason Ks picks and reasoning. I hope that JB isn't right in the mere fact that if Westy gets his first major on US Soil that'll be like kicking us Westy Haters in the teeth! I just labled myself a Westy Hater. That might be a little strong so we'll see.

And the "religious" comments had me literally laughing out loud.

Love the Quiros darkhorse picks too... So tough.

Oh good. Now I know who not to pick :)

Lots of love for toothy this year. Love the darkhorse pick, Hanks. GW in our nation's capital... money.

Sticker is just getting it done right now, he's going to win. And why would I need google to tell me that the top ranked American golfer is going to win the US Open? C'mon now. On my way into work today listening to PGA Tour radio a lot of people were picking Kuch to pull out the win, why not? Could be a good pick right here too. I'm sticking with Strick though.

You're boring too. I'd rather paint than watch Stricker win a US Open.

don't let Erin read that man.....wishes do come true sometimes....

You're boring too. I'd rather paint than watch Stricker win a US Open.

Ill take Luke Donald as my darkhorse this week. One of the shortest drivers on one of the longest courses in US open history? Good enough for me.

Ill pick him to win too.

Choker: Phil

Winner, LEFTY! I agree with TC and he finally gets it done this year, and I think LukeyD finishes higher than toothy.

don't let Erin read that man.....wishes do come true sometimes....

Not on Father's Day weekend. So that should tell you how much I enjoy watching the khaki crusader.

Not on Father's Day weekend. So that should tell you how much I enjoy watching the khaki crusader.

I heard just for the US Open he's going to go with Khaki on Khaki for sunday, kind of a toned down fowler thing.

I think that's called the 'tree look'

I heard just for the US Open he's going to go with Khaki on Khaki for sunday, kind of a toned down fowler thing.

Really interesting discussion here. I enjoyed reading everyone's predictions and the write-ups on each.

I'll throw my picks into the ring:

Winner: The boring one...Steve Stricker
Darkhorse: Robert Rock. Coming off a win on Euro Tour. He's a grinder, waited 9 years for his first Euro title. I like grinders in the US Open.
Luke Donald finishes higher. I just can't pick Westwood for anything.

With the course being long this week I'm surprised nobody took the other lefty, Watson. His creative shot shaping may be a hindrance but he has hit a ton of GIR's this year. Really like the Woodland pick as well, but I think it's Strickers year, his confidence is high and his putting has came around.

Great thread. I think the winner is someone that shoots around par for the first 3 days and is within 4 of the lead heading into Sunday. If that is the case I will pick Westwood who strives on conditions like this and on tough course he rarely goes low but also rarely shoots himself in the foot and over par.

My darkhorse for the week is: are you ready...Patrick Cantlay...yes an amateur who just won the Nicklaus award and whipped up on most of the tour pros and the Columbus Qualifying event.

I think Donald will struggle with the driver this week but will contend just because his game from 120 in is unbelievable and he has been working with a trackman the past two weeks dialing his distance in from 116 yards and in.

This should be a great Open on a great venue.

Back