Callaway Demo Day Review

Big thanks for all of the Callaway gear sent over for the outing. There were tons of options to choose from. I've hit some of these extensively in the past, so my thoughts are combined from both demo days.

RAZR Hawk Driver and RAZR Hawk Tour Driver: These drivers are amongst the prettiest out there. They have a fantastic feel and distance. I wish they were adjustable. The designs on their shafts are incredible works of art.

Diablo Octane Driver and Diablo Octane Tour Driver: Solid driver, but they don't wow me.

Diablo Octane FW Woods I really like the fairway offerings in the Diablo Octane line. They seemed forgiving and easy to set up to, two big things I look for in a fairway wood.

RAZR Irons A little large for my liking, but very nice to hit and very forgiving.

RAZR Tour Irons These were the star in the entire Callaway line. Perfect for my eye, the right distance, easy to hit and just enough forgiveness. A fantastic offering from Callaway.

RAZR X Forged Irons Not a big fan of these. I just found them extremely unforgiving. Very pretty to look at.

Jaws Wedges I like the look of the wedge, the added number of grooves on the face and must say it is the softest wedge I have ever hit. Very enjoyable.

RAZR Hawk Hybrid and RAZR Hawk Tour Hybrid Very nice to look at, but not amongst my favorite hybrids that I hit at the demo day.

Callaways line was very hit and miss for me. They had some great offerings and then some I just was not a fan of. My biggest gripe with Callaway and something they are behind the times on is adjustability. Several of the larger companies have lapped them in terms of club adjustability and I'd like to see them get caught up. This is the first time in recent memory I have not had a Callaway club in my regular bag.

So I finally got to really hit the Diablo Octane FW at Dick's yesterday. Holy cow. The 3w was carrying as far as my R11 Driver. Not only that it was incredibly easy to hit. Can you say weapon???????

So I finally got to really hit the Diablo Octane FW at Dick's yesterday. Holy cow. The 3w was carrying as far as my R11 Driver. Not only that it was incredibly easy to hit. Can you say weapon???????

nice! Did you hit the 5 wood too? I have been a fan of the octane every time I hit it. I still want to put some swings on the Razr Hawk FW because unfortunately that wasn't at demo day.

I did not my friend. Since I'm most likely only going one FW, I think the 4w will be my weapon. This thing was just incredibly long and accurate (according to the sim). I need to get fit properly but I cannot see anything replacing this.

nice! Did you hit the 5 wood too? I have been a fan of the octane every time I hit it. I still want to put some swings on the Razr Hawk FW because unfortunately that wasn't at demo day.

The Octane Tour is such a great FW....the 'crack' sound itself that it makes on a well struck shot is worth the buy

They had that thing taped up pretty well but I can imagine. It had a nice sound to it, obviously a little muted but something about it just made me want to keep hitting it.

The Octane Tour is such a great FW....the 'crack' sound itself that it makes on a well struck shot is worth the buy

I did like the Octane Tour Combo that you have in your bag with the v2 shaft.

for me it's the smaller profile which takes away some of the intimidation of hitting it off the deck in addition to focusing more on contact rather than relyign on the club to cover up a mistake

They had that thing taped up pretty well but I can imagine. It had a nice sound to it, obviously a little muted but something about it just made me want to keep hitting it.

Feedback on a comparison between the Diablo Octane and the Razr Hawk fairway woods?

Feedback on a comparison between the Diablo Octane and the Razr Hawk fairway woods?

We didnt have a Razr Hawk FW just the Octane. Ive hit the Razr Hawk at GG and was really impressed with it. But the Octane is getting great reviews too.

Like OEM said, there was not a Razr Hawk Fairway at the outing. From the little I've hit them both, I've seen that I hit the Diablo Octane Higher. FOR ME it was a lot easier to hit up in the air than the Razr Hawk. I'm going to test them again in the near future and will post once I do.

Not at the demo day as OEM mentioned, but I did put these two side by side at a local joint over the weekend. Octane won out by a large margin, little longer, better dispersion, however I like the looks of the Hawk a tad more.

The octane and mizuno's FW offering were by far and away my two favorites.

Definitely would like to try out the Octane fairways again. After seeing the results that a couple guys have with them, they piqued my interest. I love the low profile as well. For me, that is a big confidence booster.

At the range today, they had a Callaway demo day, so I tried the RAZR X Tours, and the RAZR Hawk Drivers.

RAZR X Tour Irons: The very first hit I had was AMAZING! It went perfectly, and felt amazing. They had the S300 shafts in them, and it was really nice. However, after my first hit, nothing went well afterwards. I blame this on the fact that these were my first hits of the day (first time in a couple weeks holding a club), so I hadn't grooved my swing yet. That first hit went amazingly though... I want to try them again!

RAZR Hawk: I tried it in Stiff with a 9.5˚ loft. I couldn't make this driver work for me at all - I personally blame this on how long and whippy it felt. Compared to the 910 I demoed, this thing just felt like a lesser cooked spaghetti noodle (my normal driver is an overdone spaghetti noodle). I'd like to try this with a better shaft... my friend tried it with an Aldila White in X-Stiff, and it worked pretty well, but not for $650.

While Cally has not offered anything along the lines of adjustability yet, I have this constant suspicion that they are in a lab in a basement somewhere in the middle of nowhere developing something that is light-years ahead of all the other guys in this department. I picture Mickelson in a lab coat with a scary grin on his face. Maybe that's just me?

Back