Nike VR Pro Wedges

I was throwing darts with these bad boys this weekend. I am really working on my knock down game, so I am not experiencing a ton of spin, but the accuracy and swing feel of these are second to none when I use them. I had a couple tap in birdies because of these beauties.

Do you think it's an issue with the wedge itself in your hands? ie Is the weighting off to what you're used to? Is it just the distance control you're struggling with, or is accuracy a struggle too?

FYI - I feel the weight in the head more in these than I do most other wedges, but IMO feeling the head is a good thing especially with the wedge and a heavier head should get through the rough easier.

Those distances is why I ordered a 52*. I really hope it is going to be the answer to my problems. I just can't seem to hit over 70 yds with a 56*. I don't know why my friends can do it and not me. I just accept it and buy new clubs to fix it. :act-up:

Now that I know I like the setup I just picked up a 50* to replace my PING gap

Nice. I am going to play the 52 for about a month and then decide if I need to bend it one way or the other. I have the R9 AW and it does a great job, but you can't control the distance that well of a cavity-back club. I think the 52 will come in handy if I get a set of clubs down the road with out a AW.

Nice. I am going to play the 52 for about a month and then decide if I need to bend it one way or the other. I have the R9 AW and it does a great job, but you can't control the distance that well of a cavity-back club. I think the 52 will come in handy if I get a set of clubs down the road with out a AW.

Thanks for the updates - I'm interested to hear how you're getting on with these. Definitely on my radar, as I'm struggling a bit from the fairway around 60-100 yds with my current wedges.

Check your ball too... I've been working in the 20XI-X ball and have been playing well with it... but will probably go back to the Pentas. I can flight the ball down more easily and I get more greenside spin so I can be more aggressive on my up and downs. But my stats say that I'm hitting more fairways and more greens and I'm longer with the 20XI... So what do I do?

And it's worth noting that the 20XI is the first ball that has had me even consider taking the Penta out of play...

FYI - I feel the weight in the head more in these than I do most other wedges, but IMO feeling the head is a good thing especially with the wedge and a heavier head should get through the rough easier.

That's pretty handy, and I tend to agree. I like to feel a bit of weight to encourage me to release the club head rather than hold on all the way through.

I had an opportunity to hit a bunch of wedges yesterday. The CG16 won out for me, but the x3x's weren't far behind. They actually felt similar to my MP T10s only easier to hit. The sole is better compared to the MP T10, for me anyway. If not for the CG16 I would have a hard time choosing between the Nike and the Adams Pugliellis.

So full blown pondering mode is at it's peak with these wedges. Spent some more time with them indoors again over the weekend and it was tough not to whip out the charge card and take them home. I found myself perplexed with the lofts but now I'm pretty much sold on the 54 and 58* versions. Looked them up on Nike's website this morning and noticed that there are several options regarding shafts, the standard stuff plus DG Spinners and KBS Wedge. Am I correct in thinking that the KBS Wedge is not the same as the Hi-Rev?

Either way the black finish with a black nickel shaft would be incredible, but performance over paint right?

My signature has been updated.
I put these in my bag and love the look.
Have not reshafted with DG Spinners yet because I went to these to get less spin than i was getting out of my Cleveland wedges. So far it is working. However I do want the lower ball flight that the DG Spinners have, so the change might be coming.

Have not reshafted with DG Spinners yet because I went to these to get less spin than i was getting out of my Cleveland wedges. So far it is working. However I do want the lower ball flight that the DG Spinners have, so the change might be coming.
:thumb: They are sexy!

Damn JB, really wanted to see the blue shafts with the black heads - hehe

Damn JB, really wanted to see the blue shafts with the black heads - hehe

That sounds so wrong...hehe
I had that in the last wedges. You can see the pictures in the CG15 thread and the Vibrant thread.

Would you consider putting a spinner in one/two of the wedges and use that/those as your 'lower ball flight wedge?

Would you consider putting a spinner in one/two of the wedges and use that/those as your 'lower ball flight wedge?

No, for me I like to have the same shafts in all of my wedges.

That sounds so wrong...hehe
I had that in the last wedges. You can see the pictures in the CG15 thread and the Vibrant thread.

It does actually reading it back, only those with a dirty mind would think that though - hehe

will hunt the pics down, didn't know you had black wedges previously

Just ordered these beauties today. 52/10* and 56/14* with Rifle 5.5 shafts. Can't wait

I just got back from a range session with the 56*. I only took it to the range to work on getting some control over the 50 yd to 80 yd shots. I really was able to dial it in and gain a lot of confidence with it. I hope to transfers over to the course. I even practiced a bit around the chipping green, but I have not been struggling there. I really do enjoy this club a lot and I think once I get the 50 yd to 80 yd shots down. It will be my true scoring club.

One complaint I do have about the club is the wear factor on the face. I have only had the club for about 2 weeks now and the hex groves were the ball hits are already worn down. The black finish has worn off too. I thought it would last a bit longer than this. Has anybody else has this problem with these wedges? I really hope my wedges last a year and I think the regular grooves will. The hex grooves are the ones that have already worn off. Here is a picture from my phone of what they look like now.
f560305b.jpg

DMB,
It really is designed to do just that. In fact there should be a sticker on the shaft talking about that.
I actually really like the way yours looks now.

DMB,
It really is designed to do just that. In fact there should be a sticker on the shaft talking about that.

Really, I guess I was to excited to hit it to read the sticker. Does that take away from the functionality of it?

Really, I guess I was to excited to hit it to read the sticker. Does that take away from the functionality of it?

Not at all. The "micro grooves" like the laser lines on the Cleveland CG15 are not going to add too much outside of surface roughness.

Not at all. The "micro grooves" like the laser lines on the Cleveland CG15 are not going to add too much outside of surface roughness.

Ok, thanks.

DMB,

I understand that the color will wear off due to the lack of finish, but why do the hex grooves wear off? Same reason? Or...? Will the worn out hex grooves affect playability?

I just got back from a range session with the 56*. I only took it to the range to work on getting some control over the 50 yd to 80 yd shots. I really was able to dial it in and gain a lot of confidence with it. I hope to transfers over to the course. I even practiced a bit around the chipping green, but I have not been struggling there. I really do enjoy this club a lot and I think once I get the 50 yd to 80 yd shots down. It will be my true scoring club.

One complaint I do have about the club is the wear factor on the face. I have only had the club for about 2 weeks now and the hex groves were the ball hits are already worn down. The black finish has worn off too. I thought it would last a bit longer than this. Has anybody else has this problem with these wedges? I really hope my wedges last a year and I think the regular grooves will. The hex grooves are the ones that have already worn off. Here is a picture from my phone of what they look like now.

My VR pros don't look nearly like that, but I clean my wedges constantly while I am practicing.. They are certainly heading down that path, though.

Back