Cleveland Claims Distance

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Each company talks a lot about distance and what their clubs and equipment are capable of. This year however Cleveland has jumped into the mix with some independent testing.

You can see the video spots here.

http://bcove.me/iipe8mls

http://bcove.me/25k4l9zg

XL270LONG-X2.jpg

CG16LONG-X2.jpg

Saw the driver vid yesterday. Great ad.

Cleveland is putting out great and equipment and now great ads. Very good times for the company right now it seems and it's well deserved.

Interesting. I haven't hit a cleveland driver in years... perhaps I will now. I was definitely sold on the Superfast, but I haven't hit a whole lot else. I definitely need to give these a try. Though my problem isn't distance, its accuracy and consistency. Hmmm.

Thanks to JB I got to hit the Cleveland Driver and indeed I hit it better than my own R-11.....They are coming through with some serious stuff

I definitely feel as if my 310 is the longest driver I've ever had in the bag. For some reason I can't pull up their site (clevelandgolf.com/XL270LONG. Doesn't their add contradict Callaway's add claiming their Razr Hawk is longer than the R11?

I get why they want to advertise the distance part, it just gets so confusing for consumers. You never know what to trust.

If anything the numbers alone should grab some extra attention to the Cleveland line for those in the market for a driver or irons. I'f be curious to see if either Callaway or Taylormade rebutt this ad campiagn with a kind of 'performance over paint' kind of thing.....

I saw this commercial yesterday, and thought it was very good for cleveland. They are really making a move in the marketplace right now with some great equipment and marketing.

Wow looks like the Razr Hawk isn't longer than the R11 for this testing. Good for Cleveland for entering the ring on this distance battle.

Everything these days has truth stretched out and this add is no different. Look at the iron in the picture. 5 Iron that is 24 degrees... yea, I think Cleveland will have longer irons than nearly any brand considering that is loft is equivalent to a 4i and in some cases imbetween a 3i and 4i. I can't say the same for the driver, but advertisement is "always" misleading.

"you're still away"
That is a really good ad. I also like how they mention the asterisk point. But there isn't one is there. Independent testing, "funded by Cleveland Golf", As JB has said hundreds if not thousands of times, Marketing is an interesting concept.(paraphrased of course) Makes me want to check them out, as I need a new driver. So many decisions, not the least of which is money.

Everything these days has truth stretched out and this add is no different. Look at the iron in the picture. 5 Iron that is 24 degrees... yea, I think Cleveland will have longer irons than nearly any brand considering that is loft is equivalent to a 4i and in some cases imbetween a 3i and 4i. I can't say the same for the driver, but advertisement is "always" misleading.

What are the lofts on the 2.0s, G15s, and Razr Xs?

When they say independent results, do they mean their own, or someone else's?

Independent results are done by an independent testing facility or lab. Sometimes Hot Stix, sometimes others.

Razr X 5 iron is 25

It's good to see Cleveland really bringing it this year. Their gear definitely is top notch and the driver/woods/hybrids have an amazing head & shaft combo.

Ding Ding Ding....We have a winner. Burner 2.0s are the same loft in the 5 iron.

Hahaha That's what I was getting at. It seems because Cleveland put the loft on their irons everyone jumps on them being strong-lofted and not truly long, as if most all GI/SGI clubs coming out now aren't strongly lofted.

I think much of the distance gained with the new CL drivers is related to a person being "fit" for the correct driver/shaft to fit thier swing. I was blon away at the attention to detail i saw by the Cleveland reps at a demo day. They were spending 30-40 minutes with each person demoing a driver to get the correct head/shaft combo to optimize lanuch angle, spin rate, etc... resulting in straighter and longer drives. Props to an OEM for doing it the right way.

Cleveland have really waded in amongst them with these ads! I like it!

I'm not one for buying a product based on the claims in the ad, but I like that Cleveland are backing up their product line this way. The Cleveland stuff really deserves to be tested.

So does that mean the testing was completely unbiased?

I cant answer that as I was not there. But I can tell you if it was Hot Stix doing it, then it was unbiased. No way of knowing, but when you formulate a campaign around it, doubt will always be there. However to go through the trouble of independent testing and calling it that would lead to some bad things if it were not true. Not really sure there is a way to be bias about launch monitor numbers outside of blatantly lying.

I cant answer that as I was not there. But I can tell you if it was Hot Stix doing it, then it was unbiased. No way of knowing, but when you formulate a campaign around it, doubt will always be there. However to go through the trouble of independent testing and calling it that would lead to some bad things if it were not true. Not really sure there is a way to be bias about launch monitor numbers outside of blatantly lying.

I hear you, but like you said, there is always doubt. Seeing the r11 outperform the 2.0 is a little eye opening. But it is what it is.

Back