Cleveland Claims Distance

I am on their short game bandwagon for sure.

The question remains though, is distance everything? Marketing says so, but I'll give up a few yards for accuracy. Accuracy is everything.

In my testing so far the CG16 and the Adams Redline irons are definitely the longest. The Mizuno JPX-800's are pretty close, then the Burner 2.0's. The rest fall in pretty much lumped together after that.

The question remains though, is distance everything? Marketing says so, but I'll give up a few yards for accuracy. Accuracy is everything.

But they dont have to be exclusive to one another.

But they dont have to be exclusive to one another.

Exactly. Plus I don't care if the 8 iron in my hand has a 7 irons loft, in my head I'm feeling more confident in hitting the 8 over 7.

Seems every company has stats that their driver is X yards longer than others, or their previous driver, however it all comes down to the individual swinging the club. I like the looks of the Cleveland driver, but the stats didn't show it was the longest for me. The Cleveland rep at the fitting was honest enough to tell me that.

That, and forgiveness is up there for me. A lot of you guys might be hitting it on the screws every time, but I still do some toe hits and if I can get decent distance even when I miss then BONUS! :smile:

I hear you, but like you said, there is always doubt. Seeing the r11 outperform the 2.0 is a little eye opening. But it is what it is.

I thought the exact same thing, but I'm sure the robot is hitting the center of the clubface every single time.

Exactly. Plus I don't care if the 8 iron in my hand has a 7 irons loft, in my head I'm feeling more confident in hitting the 8 over 7.

Bingo! I don't care my Di11's are strong lofted, of I pull a 9 iron where I used to hit an 8 I'm far more confident, its totally mental, but it works.

I really wish Cleveland brand wasn't..well..Cleveland brand!!! I would have zero confidence swinging a Cleveland club every day (with the exception of the Mashie). But see, I just pretend that the Mashie isn't made by Cleveland - it's made by Mashie!!!

I really wish Cleveland brand wasn't..well..Cleveland brand!!! I would have zero confidence swinging a Cleveland club every day (with the exception of the Mashie). But see, I just pretend that the Mashie isn't made by Cleveland - it's made by Mashie!!!

Why is that? Cleveland makes great clubs, and is one of the best OEM's today.

Why?????

But how did the SL290 and TL310 do versus the other drivers? Weighing 25 grams less than most standard drivers with 39g shaft it shouldn't really be a surprise being longer due to faster head/ball speed.

But how did the SL290 and TL310 do versus the other drivers? Weighing 25 grams less than most standard drivers with 39g shaft it shouldn't really be a surprise being longer due to faster head/ball speed.

The 39 series does not weight 39 grams.

Why is that? Cleveland makes great clubs, and is one of the best OEM's today.

I'm from Pittsburgh. Duh. I have this intense dislike for all things Cleveland buried deep in my stomach. Grover Cleveland, the Cleveland Browns, the city of Cleveland, Cleveland from Family Guy, etc. I would feel like a traitor if I had a bag full of Cleveland clubs!

I haven't looked at the testing protocols (on my phone), but the distances shown in the pics look like perhaps the tests were geared towards slower swing speeds.

I did a little digging on their website. The testing was done by Golf Laboratories Inc. Here's some detail from Cleveland's site:

Cover Letter to Cleveland

Couple interesting points: the machine was set up to achieve ball speed of 150 mph, presumably with a "control club", whatever that might be, and all drivers had a stiff shaft and were supplied by Cleveland with loft of either 9 or 9.5 degrees depending on manufacturer. No mention of how the Titleist and R11 were set up for the test.

I'm a little suprised how poorly the Burner 2.0 performed. My guess is that the 2.0's "stiff" shaft is a little whippy compared to some of the other stock stiff shafts in the tested drivers and didn't hold up as well to the chosen test conditions. But who really knows without more detail than I could find on Clevelands site.

Cleveland Golf is named after a person not the city. I don't know where the company was originally started but I doubt it had anything to do with the city of Cleveland, Ohio.

I have never played a Cleveland Driver but have hit the old Launcher but was not a favorite but I bought the new TL310 because I wanted to hit the Miyazaki C Kua shaft and figured why not get a driver with it for $50 more. One word describes this driver to me "AWESOME". I have played the Callaway drivers over the last 10 years and the FT Tour since early 2010 and the FT was long and very solid shots but the Cleveland is as long if not longer but especially on slight mis hits. I hit the Cleveland at least 20 or more yards longer on slight toes, slight heel shots and especially slight low on the clubface shots. The Clevelands shot dispersion is way better and the club is by far better in forgiveness.

I have now sold every driver but the Cleveland and it has been in my bag since late April/early May and I don't see anything replacing it anytime soon. Not sure if it is the head, shaft or a combination of the two but Cleveland definitely has a winner with this driver. I am so thrilled with the driver that I ordered this morning the FL 3 wood with the C Kua 59 shaft.

This is a question for anyone that has hit the FL 3 wood...anyone know why Cleveland put a lighter shaft in the 3 wood then the TL 310 driver? I usually play my 3 woods around 10 grams heavier and have never played a lighter shaft and I'm curious to everyone's thoughts.

I am wondering what would happen with a different swing speed used during testing and if the results would be the same. I tested a ultralite driver at a golftown to see how it would work for me and I found I couldn't hit a consistent shot as I felt the driver was too lite. I think for someone that has a hard time generating clubhead speed on their own these drivers may be a good benefit but just like everything it may not work for everyone.

This is a question for anyone that has hit the FL 3 wood...anyone know why Cleveland put a lighter shaft in the 3 wood then the TL 310 driver? I usually play my 3 woods around 10 grams heavier and have never played a lighter shaft and I'm curious to everyone's thoughts.

To achieve the right balance between head, shaft and grip.

To achieve the right balance between head, shaft and grip.

JB, that is what I thought..What is your idea on the difference between the driver and 3 wood? Do you notice a difference when you have hit the 3 wood in feel vs. your standard 3 wood?

Thanks,
Ted

Every friend I know that has Cleveland consistently hits them farther. I like the Superfast 2.0, but I'm really really intrigued by these new Cleveland drivers and irons.

Back