Dynamic Gold SL R300 to Project X 6.0 - Perhaps the wrong choice?

SFeigl

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm not sure, but I think I may have picked the wrong shaft. I had been using DG SL R300 shafts in my old Taylormade RAC LT Irons and was hitting my 6 Iron around 160m. When I bought my new Taylormade MC Irons, I got them made with the PX 6.0 shafts (as when I did a fitting session a while ago). Now I'm only hitting my 6 irons around ...145m, and it all seems to be just like too much hard work. I can pull the distance out if all goes well, but it's a lot more like hitting at 110% rather than a more preferable 95% swing.

I think it may be my fault by selecting the wrong stiffness (and perhaps shaft type, as I do prefer a lower trajectory), but my swing speed means that I need to use an X Flex Driver Shaft (when I did a fitting session), so I'd have thought that 6.0 should be okay. Ever since I upgraded to the R11 Driver and Fairway Wood, I'm hitting my Woods further than ever, but my irons shorter than usual. This has opened up a big gap of distance range between my 4 Wood and my 3 Iron which I'm not enjoying at all.

Can I get a bit of feedback and advice?

I've read fairly consistently that the Project X 5.5 is comparable to the Dynamic Gold S300. Maybe you've take too much of a step forward?

Do you have the ability to get to a golf shop to try a 5.5 or 5.0 in the project X? Do you know your swing numbers (speed, tempo, etc)?

Have you thought about a shaft fitting?
The flex point on your shafts is quite different now.
Is there a reason you chose 6.0 rather than 5.0 or 5.5 if you were hitting the R300s well?

That's a pretty big jump in shafts! Is the PX flighted or no? Maybe PX5.5 would have been a closer fit.

As stated, PX 6.0 is a very stout shaft. You are right the PX's will get you a lower flight. This may be a case of simply the wrong shaft for your swing. The DG SL's are quite a bit lighter than PX's and this may be the main culprit.

As stated, PX 6.0 is a very stout shaft. You are right the PX's will get you a lower flight. This may be a case of simply the wrong shaft for your swing. The DG SL's are quite a bit lighter than PX's and this may be the main culprit.

I would agree with everything here. I would also pose the question, how long have you had these new irons for?

If you just got them less than a week ago and hit them a few times, then I saw give them 2 weeks or more before making a change.

Sometimes when you have drastic changes in clubs there is a adjustment period.

I know when I switched from x100s to 6.0s my height skyrocketed and my distance plummeted. I'm not sure on the SL versions of the DG's what their characteristics are, but I understand your confusion. I used the mizuno optimizer twice with the same results but that shaft was just not for me.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

First the answer a few questions, I've had these clubs now for 2.5 weeks and have played 5 rounds and been to the range 4 times too. The shafts are not flighted, and whilst I'd love to do a proper shaft fitting, here in Australia you will need to take out a second mortgage to do it. I had my measurements taken in terms of length, lie angles, etc, but had my irons made in the US and saved around 30-35%.

I feel as though I may have ill-fitted myself. From where I bought them, the options on flex were just 5.5, 6.0 and 6.5, and I simply assumed that 5.5 would be regular, 6.0 would be stiff and 6.5 would be extra stiff. My mistake though, as 6.0 most people say is more like a S+. I think that I may be best reshafting with the Dynamic Gold SL again, in either R300 or S300. I've thought about the Rifle FCM shafts though (maybe 5.0 flex), as I've heard that the trajectory sits somewhere between the Dynamic Gold, and the Project X shafts. Do any of you have any feedback or experience with those shafts?

Thanks guys - love the feedback. Helps a lot!

For an interesting twist to this story, I went to a free lesson with the Head Coach at a nearby driving range, and his opinion was that the PX 6.0 may be the ticket for my speed. He claimed that he uses the exact shaft and that my SS was more or less the same as his. He pinpointed my distance problem as being more my swing and technique (I'd been setting up with a slightly open club face).

However, I do have my doubts though, because my technique was the same between the two different clubs and my distance had dropped. But... maybe my technique had changed since then. I've actually still got my old irons, so I think I might go to the range and give the newer technique a try between clubs and see the difference. The coach did make me feel a bit better about the situation though which is nice. I'll be seeing someone else on Saturday for a second opinion with another lesson, and we'll see if what he says mirrors this head coach.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

First the answer a few questions, I've had these clubs now for 2.5 weeks and have played 5 rounds and been to the range 4 times too. The shafts are not flighted, and whilst I'd love to do a proper shaft fitting, here in Australia you will need to take out a second mortgage to do it. I had my measurements taken in terms of length, lie angles, etc, but had my irons made in the US and saved around 30-35%.

I feel as though I may have ill-fitted myself. From where I bought them, the options on flex were just 5.5, 6.0 and 6.5, and I simply assumed that 5.5 would be regular, 6.0 would be stiff and 6.5 would be extra stiff. My mistake though, as 6.0 most people say is more like a S+. I think that I may be best reshafting with the Dynamic Gold SL again, in either R300 or S300. I've thought about the Rifle FCM shafts though (maybe 5.0 flex), as I've heard that the trajectory sits somewhere between the Dynamic Gold, and the Project X shafts. Do any of you have any feedback or experience with those shafts?

Thanks guys - love the feedback. Helps a lot!

I feel your pain, I live in an area where only football and wrestling matters. I asked a club fitter at the local "professional" club builder if they spine aligned Driver shafts and he stared at me with the deer in the headlights look.

There isn't a single launch monitor within 3 hours of here.

For an interesting twist to this story, I went to a free lesson with the Head Coach at a nearby driving range, and his opinion was that the PX 6.0 may be the ticket for my speed. He claimed that he uses the exact shaft and that my SS was more or less the same as his. He pinpointed my distance problem as being more my swing and technique (I'd been setting up with a slightly open club face).

Swing speed is not the only things that matters. It is only part of the equation. Tempo, flex points, etc. are all involved. You don't buy pants based just on lenght because you are tall, you also check waist size, etc. Picking a shaft based on just swing speed is no different.

If you are looking for new options and like a lower ball flight, however, I'd also suggest you include the KBS Tour C-Taper in your list of options.

Back