The Morgan Cup - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha.

Yeah, that's a little steep. They are proud of their courses, I suppose.

Yeah, $180 for the round, carts are $30 a person, caddies would be around $100 each with tip so it would be $840 if we took a caddie. Tip some cart boys and have a $12 burger and it's like going to a THP outing for one round of golf.

Ain't happening. She's playing it again in July for a college coaches thing and that's only $160. For that she gets fed, gets a shirt, a clinic, a round table discussion with the coaches, and some other stuff. So at least they're supporting junior golf. But they ain't shy with the general public, that's for sure. The Straits course is around $400 I think after caddie fees.

Kevin

Got out and played 9, like TC due to weather. Took on a golfer that is better than me in a 9 hole match. Started off on a good note making par to win the 1st hole. Was 1 up till he made birdie on 4. Picked up another hole when I made a nice 20 footer to save par on par 3. Gave it back on 8 with a bogey. Won it with a par on 9. It was a great match. He hit the ball better than I did today for the most part. My iron game was good as I hit 6 of 9 greens. I couldn't get off the tee to save my life, which is becoming a problem. I really need to work on hitting the driver. Had 17 putts with 1 dreaded 3 putt. With all the rain we've had the course was very soft so I tried to be a little more aggresive with shots in to the green, knowing that they would hold.

Got out and played 9, like TC due to weather. Took on a golfer that is better than me in a 9 hole match. Started off on a good note making par to win the 1st hole. Was 1 up till he made birdie on 4. Picked up another hole when I made a nice 20 footer to save par on par 3. Gave it back on 8 with a bogey. Won it with a par on 9. It was a great match. He hit the ball better than I did today for the most part. My iron game was good as I hit 6 of 9 greens. I couldn't get off the tee to save my life, which is becoming a problem. I really need to work on hitting the driver. Had 17 putts with 1 dreaded 3 putt. With all the rain we've had the course was very soft so I tried to be a little more aggresive with shots in to the green, knowing that they would hold.

Good shooting ddec and congrats on the victory.

After seeing my driver swing on video this weekend, I think I'm signing up for lessons...it's a wonder I can find the ball given how bad it is.

6 of 9 greens is strong. Nice victory!

Nice win Dean! Your game is going to peak right around August and it's great already. I can feel it.

Nice win Dean! Your game is going to peak right around August and it's great already. I can feel it.

LOL I think it is peaking now, at least my iron/short game is. Nothing like peaking too early right? The courses I play up hear are nowhere near as difficult as the ones we will be playing down at Reunion.

Dude, that's the good part.. you think it's peaking but it's only gonna get better. Mar(c)kawesome my words brohammer!

I hit the Diablo Octane FW..... I almost OEM'd that thing yesterday.

LOL I think it is peaking now, at least my iron/short game is. Nothing like peaking too early right? The courses I play up hear are nowhere near as difficult as the ones we will be playing down at Reunion.

Now that would really make you like OEM! Buying a club that you will be getting in just a few short weeks haha

Dude, that's the good part.. you think it's peaking but it's only gonna get better. Mar(c)kawesome my words brohammer!

Ditch the hybos and go 4 & 7 wood FTW. Then 5 hybo

I'm seriously considering that. I could even still do the 4,5 hybrid along with a 4 and 7 wood. It's just insanely easy to hit.

Ditch the hybos and go 4 & 7 wood FTW. Then 5 hybo

LOL! So true. I loved my Dymo 3w until I hit an M1 but these are right up there.

as long as you can hit the ball in the fairway off the tee for Sat morning scramble, I don't care what you hit lol

I've been looking at the Callaway offerings for wedges lately. I see some with C Grind and some without. I've never gamed a wedge with C grind(to my belief at least. Anyway, I did quick search on THP about wedge selection and found this response from THP's Pro Andy. Thought it might be good for everyone involved to read this over.

Great topic here. I fit my clients for bounce on their wedges. I think it is one of the most important parts of picking wedges. Too much or too little just doesn't work and you shouldn't have to change your game to fit a wedge.

If you can get to a place that has a lie board here is what you do. Put a piece of tape on the sole of a sand (56*) with mid bounce (10-14*) wedge. Hit a ball off of the lie board. Where do you see a mark on the tape? Is it towards the leading edge of the club face? If so you need more bounce. IF the mark is towards the back edge of the sole you need less bounce. This is a great way to find out what you need.

The next thing to look at is what type of grass and sand do you play from. Here in Florida most course are bermuda grasses and that is thick meaning there is a small cushion of grass before you get to the dirt. As a whole most players down here should play a touch more bounce than I fit them for. Hope this helps.

Thanks Ddec, I remember reading that a while ago but it is great advice.

This weekend we had our annual buddies 2 man scramble where we have a 28 man field that is ranked, we put the best golfer with the worst and so on down the line to try to come up with 14 evenly matched teams. I was ranked 5th so I'm playing with the 5th guy from the bottom in a 2 man scramble. So my partner wasn't real good but he wasn't horrible either, I suppose he is something around a 25 hdcp or so. He actually kicked in a little help early on as it took me a bit to really get going but from the 5th hole on it was all me.

I had the Razr X Tours on fire and just hit some great iron shots. The only problem is that nothing was getting real close for an easy birdie and the putts really weren't dropping. We get to the par 4 9th hole at 1 over par. This hole is 440 yards up hill, I hit a pretty solid drive to the middle of the fairway and had 190 left to the hole. My partner sliced his 3 wood into a backyard. I grabbed a 4 iron and hit maybe the best shot I've hit in 2 years, just dead center with a great ball flight that we knew was going to be close but we couldn't tell how close because of the uphill to the green but then the green sloping from front to back. We get up there to find the ball 18 inches from the cup! Tap in birdie and head to the back 9 even par.

I was hoping that would light a fire so we could go on to make some more birdies but unfortunately the beers started to adversely affect my partner's ability to contribute too much. I still had the irons going good and after starting with a bogey on 10 was able to get us back to even par with a birdie on the 13th. I figured that we were well back as there were some pretty good players in the field but when we got to the 16th tee suddenly people started showing up to follow us in (we were the last group out) and I come to find out that -1 is the leader in the clubhouse so we had to get another birdie. On 16 I just smoked a drive dead center of the FW, 130 left to the hole, the approach was up hill with a little wind and after my partner worm burned one well right I grabbed a 9 iron and everyone watching thought I holed it. It landed about 8 ft short of the pin but spun back so we had about 18 feet. Couldn't get the putt to drop. 2 more holes to play. The 17th is a par 3 playing 172 into the wind with water and bunkers short of the green. The trusty old partner of mine slices one into the water and we have a good laugh, I originally had a 6i out but after seeing how much the wind hurt his ball I went to a 5i and grooved one to about 12 feet. Right on with the theme of the day we couldn't get the birdie putt to drop so we go to the last needing a birdie to force a playoff. The 18th hole is a par 4 that measures 440 and the wind was dead into our face by now. Partner hits an ok shot and I hit a so so drive that went a little right but was safe from trouble, only problem is that we still had 220 to the hole. Trusty Rusty shanks one and I grab a hybrid and absolutely pounded it dead on line but yep....short of the green. We weren't making any birdie putts to how about we chip in for birdie to tie this thing up? By this time everyone was crowded around the 18th green watching the drama unfold. Try as we might we couldn't chip in for birdie and had to settle for a par to finish 1 back with an even par 72. Man it felt good to have the pressure of winning this tournament and I hit some really really good golf shots but just couldn't get that last birdie putt to drop.

It was fun and my partner and I had a lot of fun, he joked how I was dragging him around the course most of the day but I didn't mind, that is pretty much what you expect from this format anyway. I really thought we were too far back because there were some good teams in the field, because of some late additions and certain other reasons we did have some teams that weren't exactly paired up according to their rank but we hung in there anyway. A few years ago I was in a similar situation with 3 to play, had the lead in fact but poor play at the wrong time cost me. I hit some really good shots with some pressure on so that felt good.

My Razr X Tour irons are absolutely awesome irons, I already feel like I have the distances dialed in pretty close and they just feel great when you nail one in the sweet spot.

I've been looking at the Callaway offerings for wedges lately. I see some with C Grind and some without. I've never gamed a wedge with C grind(to my belief at least. Anyway, I did quick search on THP about wedge selection and found this response from THP's Pro Andy. Thought it might be good for everyone involved to read this over.
I used to play low bounces on all my wedges. I've gone more mid-bounce and it's helped with consistency on the lies I face in and around the greens and even the fairways. Nice find there ddec, that was a quick and detailed explanation.

Great stuff P4B, sounds like a fun tourney, and you handled the pressure great.

Great 4 iron shot P4B!

Sorry you guys couldn't get into the playoffs. Doesn't sound like your partner was much help other than reaching into the beer cooler.

I can imagine how cool it was to have everyone following you and having that extra added pressure. Good stuff.

Thanks guys! Yeah my partner....he had fun! As we're on the 17th tee box trying to figure out what club to hit and everything he was off doing shots with a gal we know who lives right off the 17th tee box. At least he was nice and relaxed right?!

It was so much fun having people there watching and of course heckling and stuff, last time I was in that spot I choked big time and lost a lead and lost the event, this time I didn't win but I definitely was proud of the way I hit the ball down the stretch. I struggled with distance control on the greens all day, so many times I had it read right and it was dead on line but short.

Good stuff Jake! I am in a scramble tournament this weekend that I am really looking forward to.

Just got my airline tickets. Its official now. I arrive Thursday at 1:55PM and leave Monday morning at 11am

Great stuff OEM, glad you will be joining us. I'm happy now that my iron woods are all set!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back