Chris Berman on US Open coverage. Yuck

Every year, what ever tourny he is announcing, the golf boards go crazy with the Berman hate. I'm sure ESPN knows that he is not liked as a golf announcer, yet he is always there. Hope the "A" announcing team is on the 5:00 broadcast.

After putting ESPN on the map, Berman is allowed to pick whatever he wants to do as far as I know. I can't stand listening to him either. He should have retired years ago

After putting ESPN on the map, Berman is allowed to pick whatever he wants to do as far as I know. I can't stand listening to him either. He should have retired years ago

I was just wondering about that. Does he get to pick and choose where he goes? Or is someone that dumb to keep sending him to all the major sporting events? He really is terrible at most all of them.

I was just wondering about that. Does he get to pick and choose where he goes? Or is someone that dumb to keep sending him to all the major sporting events? He really is terrible at most all of them.

From what I've read he gets to choose the ones he wants to do.

When that came one I just couldn't believe he was on there. Someone should just lock him in a football stadium or something. He could commentate on the grass and how its not growing right...

John: I couldn't agree more. He makes non-sensical remarks and thinks it is funny. His original schtick was to rename players with humorous nicknames but it got old fast. He is an 18 handicap. As a 7 index now and a 1.3 when I was younger, I just cringe at his BS. He is clueless.

Maybe its just me, but I can't stand Chris Berman. His voice is so grating to me. I'm so fired up to watch the US Open as I work from home today, but I have to listen to his uninsightful, ego filled comments. :banghead:

John: I couldn't agree more. He makes non-sensical remarks and thinks it is funny. His original schtick was to rename players with humorous nicknames but it got old fast. He is an 18 handicap. As a 7 index now and a 1.3 when I was younger, I just cringe at his BS. He is clueless.

I notice two things:
1. This is your first post. Welcome to THP :welcome:
2. You are 200% right

Its all been said here, but Berman doing the golf telecast is just terrible. I don't mind him doing the sunday pregame for football, but this is just bad.

Berman in Bethesda... Yuck!

He should... go... all... the... way... back back back back... to Bristol!

Every year I hear just about every golf fan complain about Berman doing the first two rounds of the US Open. I'm going to email bomb espn this thread to see if they take notice for once!

I agree with everyone here. Chris Berman is good at hosting the NFL Countdown show, but commentating golf...NAH! Tirico should be on the call...along with Terry Gannon and the NBC folks.

I almost can't stand ESPN any more. They are no longer just observers of the sports world they have inserted themselves into it as if they were stars themseelves which of course they are not.

I agree with everyone here. Chris Berman is good at hosting the NFL Countdown show, but commentating golf...NAH! Tirico should be on the call...along with Terry Gannon and the NBC folks.

I think Sean McDonough could easily fill in for Berman.

Sean McDonough would be fine with me. I met him a few years ago, really a nice person to talk with and he does know his golf, along with baseball and college football and basketball.

I agree with the OP. His affect isn't the same as it was some years ago. Maybe I am getting stodgy as I get up there in years. Plus, his persona all around doesn't fit with what I expect when watching/listening to golf. Maybe I am just old fashioned, which is fine with me.

I would love to see Van Pelt fill in for Berman. I love Van Peezy!

My wife and I call him Chandler Bing because when he had hair he and Matthew Perry looked like they were separated at birth.

I agree with Van Pelt. Berman ruins Football for me so it was hard to listen to him do golf, but ESPN has done its best to ruin sports for me in general. I think putting Van Pelt and North in the booth would work well.

which is exactly why it won't happen.....makes too much sense and ESPN would rather appease Berman's larger than his waistline ego then do what's best for the fans

I agree with Van Pelt. Berman ruins Football for me so it was hard to listen to him do golf, but ESPN has done its best to ruin sports for me in general. I think putting Van Pelt and North in the booth would work well.

Berman is bad at golf, thankfully i've been pausing the dvr so i can fast forward through the commercials and intro's, so i only have to listen to him during play instead of his wayward introductions and send offs. As someone else said, his voice isn't nearly as terrible as that thing he calls a swing. I hate to be holier than thou but it does strike me a tad the wrong way to hear him discuss things then all i can think about is that charles barkley-esque bowl of ugly that he calls a swing

Back