Worst "Bag" currently on THP!

Storm

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, now that I've enjoyed quite a few hours on THP, read great threads on irons, putters, contests, golf courses, THP Outings and many others, I have come to the realization that I probably have the worst equipment setup of any of the THP members! Not that it matters to me, because I'm building my bag now and hope to have it up to date by the end of June. I got the R11 a couple of weeks ago and I'm on the hunt for the best iron set for my game. I have learned a lot reading through the threads and have changed my mind a little bit about just what I want to "test" over the next few weeks. I just want to say,THANKS,:thp: for all of the knowledge that you guys share here. I feel more confident I'll get fitted with the right clubs!

Storm it looks like you are blowing in the right direction dude. Lot's of info and you will have the chance to reap some expert knowledge from this site. Enjoy and looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

Storm it looks like you are blowing in the right direction dude. Lot's of info and you will have the chance to reap some expert knowledge from this site. Enjoy and looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

+1, well said OG

Welcome Storm and let us know what to put in there as you go through the demo process.

Sent from my Tapatalk!

STORM I know exactly what you mean. THP has helped my game so much. As you go from each piece of equipment,this is the place to research for it. When you get to your putter, dont forget the new book they have at THP. I wasted almost 4 years of putting the right way. Good luck. Look forward to seeing the completion of your bag

I wouldn't consider the TA 845's to be terrible though. Those are some classics.

GLad you are digging THP buddy!!!

I was one who believed I needed all brand new, top of the line gear when I first started out. I didn't want a used set, or something older or from a smaller company. So I went out, and dropped loads of money on all new Cleveland gear. I got decent, I play bogey golf. I went out and bought the clothes, shoes, and good balls. Thinking all this would make me an amazing golfer. Later my first year, I played a round with a guy who told me he just started also. The difference was he was played really old wilson staff fluid feel(or something like that), blade irons a driver with a head the size of my 3 wood. And a putter that looked like was made in the 1500's. Needless to say I felt confident with my new setup over his. I shot a 48, he shot a 39, on nine holes. It was then that I realized its not all about the clubs in the bag, but how you play them.

Don't worry about having a super duper top of the line set up, as long as you play well with what you have.

Sorry for the long post

I wouldn't consider the TA 845's to be terrible though. Those are some classics.

GLad you are digging THP buddy!!!

Thanks! I'm definitely "digging" THP!! I've already suggested my golfing buddies join up as well!! And yeah...the 845's are classic's LOL!

Thanks! I'm definitely "digging" THP!! I've already suggested my golfing buddies join up as well!! And yeah...the 845's are classic's LOL!

They certainly are. I played a set when I first got into the game about 6 years ago. I wish I still had them, I think they're timeless.

Keep us posted as you upgrade Storm, there are a lot of good buys in equipment that is not totally new out there as well. I still think the main club that needs upgrading often (every 2 years or so) is the driver and you have addressed that. I guess what I am saying is just take your time and find clubs that are right for you.

Welcome aboard!! I understand your wanting to upgrade your bag but I know guys at my home course that have clubs that are probably older than I am and they can still post scores in the 70's.

I was one who believed I needed all brand new, top of the line gear when I first started out. I didn't want a used set, or something older or from a smaller company. So I went out, and dropped loads of money on all new Cleveland gear. I got decent, I play bogey golf. I went out and bought the clothes, shoes, and good balls. Thinking all this would make me an amazing golfer. Later my first year, I played a round with a guy who told me he just started also. The difference was he was played really old wilson staff fluid feel(or something like that), blade irons a driver with a head the size of my 3 wood. And a putter that looked like was made in the 1500's. Needless to say I felt confident with my new setup over his. I shot a 48, he shot a 39, on nine holes. It was then that I realized its not all about the clubs in the bag, but how you play them.

Don't worry about having a super duper top of the line set up, as long as you play well with what you have.

Sorry for the long post

Great points dustklose! I will NOT be buying top of the line, thats for sure. I did buy an expensive driver though, because that's where my game really suffers. If I get off the box well, my confidence rises and I play better. If I'm slicing everything and hacking out of the trees, well...you know. The R11 with the stiff shaft and a closed alignment had me hitting straight and carrying 240 yds on the computer at Nevada Bob's. So it seemed to be a great fit for me. I do think I will buy a new set of irons, but will probably try eBay for some slightly used wedges and hybrids. I've seen Mashie's going on eBay for under $70!! The putter will probably be the last purchase, just because I actually putt fairly decent with my old Zebra. Again, great points and I know that I'll have to put in the time on the range and course to improve, regardless of the equipment I choose.

Ok, now that I've enjoyed quite a few hours on THP, read great threads on irons, putters, contests, golf courses, THP Outings and many others, I have come to the realization that I probably have the worst equipment setup of any of the THP members! Not that it matters to me, because I'm building my bag now and hope to have it up to date by the end of June. I got the R11 a couple of weeks ago and I'm on the hunt for the best iron set for my game. I have learned a lot reading through the threads and have changed my mind a little bit about just what I want to "test" over the next few weeks. I just want to say,THANKS,:thp: for all of the knowledge that you guys share here. I feel more confident I'll get fitted with the right clubs!

Storm,
Your bag looks a lot like mine at the present. I am sporting the 845's as well. They really arent that bad but I am handing mine down to one of my sons so i am in the market for new irons myself. Go luck on the purchase. Look forward to hearing about the new digs.

+ a couple thousand on those TA 845s. Timeless is right. You see some good players still gaming them. And while that Zebra has certainly been outclassed by technology, that baby was state of the art. I drained everything I looked at 30 years ago or so with a Zebra. I've never putted better than with the Zebra with the washers in the bottom as weights. I was a lot younger and steadier though. lol.

Kevin

If you have to buy something, do the opposite and buy new wedges and used irons.

Kevin

Welcome Storm! You are headed the right way with the new R11 and 845's are still some decent irons...I used to game a set of those, I go wedges and putter before irons....short game can shave some strokes my friend!

If you have to buy something, do the opposite and buy new wedges and used irons.

Kevin

Agreed. I'd really get fitted for your wedges before buying irons. I'm glad you're enjoy THP and keep us updated on your retooling.

Tap before talk.

No worries storm. And to say you have the worst bag in THP is wrong. You should see mine. :) Only 10 more days till my GolfTEC clubfitting and hopefully that will all change.

Your gonna love it here. Welcome!

Storm, Not sure if yours is the worse bag currently on THP. I gamed the 845's for several years and played some good golf with them and they are classics. I also remember a guy winning three club championships in a row at my course with those irons. There are no doubt some super choices today given the technology, but those irons will still do the job.

Keep us posted of your changes.

My regular golfing buddy plays the 845's and loves them. Said if he's more than happy with them, why change??

Things are looking up! I now have a Mashie and a pair of Cleveland cg15 wedges to go along with my R11! I'll be swinging these at Chateau Elan next weekend! Now...if I can just find some irons.

Things are looking up! I now have a Mashie and a pair of Cleveland cg15 wedges to go along with my R11! I'll be swinging these at Chateau Elan next weekend! Now...if I can just find some irons.

Good luck on the irons Storm and congrats on the Mashie and cg15's.

Hey Storm welcome to your new home. You show you have a high handicap but not everyone considers high the same way. My buddy is a 2 handicap and he thinks it's high. Are you looking for game improvement irons? Or a hybrid set? help us help you and again welcome to THP

Ron...my handicap is actually high! I'll never see a 2! At one point I played to about a 18, but now I'm about a 24. I was not playing for about 5 years and just got back to the game last year. I'm looking for GI irons for sure.

I have a few sets under consideration right now: Cleveland CG16's, Mizuno JPX 800, TM Burner 2.0 and the Callaway Razr X's. I've swung all of these at my golf store, but haven't put them on the computers yet. I'm hoping to do that this weekend. So, I'm getting closer to making a determination.

Good luck with your search Storm. The Burner 2.0's are some nice sticks for sure.

Back