Golden Tee or PGA Tour - Which Was Better?

I've played more than my fair share of GT in my life, but if they were as readily available, I would opt for PGA Tour I think. Haven't played it in years, but I thought it was much more challenging and less... 'arcadey'. Only word I can think of to describe it. For instance, when I'm putting in GT, my only objective is to hit the hole. Doesn't matter how hard. I'm also not a fan of paying extra (credits or whatever) make different shots with the golden tees. It seems like the only way they can keep it challenging with the engine they use is to make the courses more absurd...

All that being said, if I counted up all the money I've spent on Golden Tee, I could definitely afford one or two of my own! :D

I prefer PGA Tour for the simple reason that I would prefer to play real courses vs fantasy courses.

+1 Always more fun to play the real courses, IMO.

I gotta say Golden Tee. I wasted more money in college on that game in the bars than any other. Me and my friends could play it all day. Didn't play PGA very often.

gotta go Golden Tee....just for the "classic-ness" of it.

Golden Tee was pretty big around here for a while (still might be). I have played it a few times but I suck at it.....hmmm, correlation to my real golf game?

I've never seen the PGA Tour one.

Golden tee was all they ever had around me, so I'll put my name in that hat as well.

Nothing like a bit of Golden Tee, some wings, some beer, and Big Buck Hunter back in college haha!

Golden tee was all they ever had around me, so I'll put my name in that hat as well.

Nothing like a bit of Golden Tee, some wings, some beer, and Big Buck Hunter back in college haha!

Why does it always have to boil down to beer with you, huh Dan? :rockon:

I've played both and prefer Golden Tee. Can't really explain why but it seems like GT is much user friendly for me.

golden tee is classic! Would def love that game in my house

Having played both over the years I like the PGA game better due to the realism. Golden Tee is a game that if you play online you can see people shooting 30 under par in 1 round due to trick shots and driving Par 5's over trees. I never really liked that about the game. The PGA version is more of a golf game but if you like games where non realistic stuff is the norm then Golden Tee is pretty spot on. Hope that helps.

Golden Tee for me all the way, love that game, it has gotten a lot of my money over the years.

I have only played Golden Tee.

I am currently a +18 HC at Golden Tee with a career best +21 HC. Average -15 or so a round with a career low of -25. Golden Tee is so much better I cannot believe this is even in question. EA just threw a golf video game out in the market to try and get in on the huge amount of revenue that Golden Tee was seeing. They have never put much effort into the updating of PGA. Golden Tee updates every year with new courses and graphics. They have 50 person tournaments that run around the clock nationally that you can win money back by placing in the top 10. You can get a GT Card and hold all of your stats, or use any card with a magnetic strip. My career stats right now are something like 6000+ birdies, 3000+ eagles, 30 hole in ones, 28 double eagles. HAHA. The platform and support system behind it (Incredible Technologies) is high end. There are always regional and national qualifying events with awesome prizes such as Harley Davidsons and other merchandise. You have to be really good to win that stuff obviously, but there is a reason Golden Tee is so much more popular. I play with a guy who is currently the #3 ranked player in the world and has won some amazing stuff by playing GT Golf. He averages -23 and is a +25 HC. There is a national champ tourney in vegas every year. I have seen the real course argument and somewhat understand it, but it isn't real golf, and you are not going to shoot -15 or -20 at a real course anyway, so have fun with the cool fantasy courses.

TH,
I think that is one of my problems with it. Its great that they continue to update and that they are still around, but it is not even close to being actual golf gameplay. I mean -25 for a round should NEVER happen right?

Or is that the draw?

Back when I used to play Tiger Woods Golf on Xbox all the time, I rarely put it harder than easy... Something about video game golf and absolutely burying the courses with -18 or better really entertained the crap out of me. I think that translates to GT, at least for me.

If I want a course to beat me up, I'll go play one haha!

Having played both over the years I like the PGA game better due to the realism. Golden Tee is a game that if you play online you can see people shooting 30 under par in 1 round due to trick shots and driving Par 5's over trees. I never really liked that about the game. The PGA version is more of a golf game but if you like games where non realistic stuff is the norm then Golden Tee is pretty spot on. Hope that helps.

I rarely play PGA, but last time I did I shot -22. It is actually easier than Golden Tee. The reason Golden Tee has fantasy type courses is that a video version of real courses on these video games has no defense. Flat greens and straight fairways don't cut it in video golf. The amount of control on these games is awesome and they need to have crazy stuff in them to defend the course.

I've only played Golden Tee, so I vote for GT.

Wow, blast from the past! It's been a long time since I've played Golden Tee. I don't think I've ever played PGA. GT sure was fun though.

TH,
I think that is one of my problems with it. Its great that they continue to update and that they are still around, but it is not even close to being actual golf gameplay. I mean -25 for a round should NEVER happen right?

Or is that the draw?

I think it is part of the draw. Its only a number right? A great round in real golf for pro's is the low 60's or even a 59. A great round in Golden Tee is 49. It is all reletive. The control you have has to be consistant. But with the consistancy comes crazy low rounds. It still takes alot of learning. My buddies love playing with me because I can teach them. They rarely shoot -10. It is still hard. And as you get better, you start learning the tricks.

I have never seen an arcade golf game like that before! Probably due to me being from the UK and having not been in many arcades (My local arcade is quite small). Is it played using the ball to swing the club? Like roll it back and forth?
Looks pretty awesome to me :)

I have never seen an arcade golf game like that before! Probably due to me being from the UK and having not been in many arcades (My local arcade is quite small). Is it played using the ball to swing the club? Like roll it back and forth?
Looks pretty awesome to me :)

These golf games are mostly in sports bars and pubs in the USA. Nothing like having a beer and playing video golf when it is pouring down rain outside. :)

TH,

Or is that the draw?

First to answer the post, GT over PGA. GT has much better graphics. Yes on PGA you played real course with real golfers, but that was it. GT, the more your stats racket up, the more items you get for your created golfer. For example, every 10 birdies, you get a new shirt or shoes or hat, etc.

Not meant to be actual golf gameplay. It is definitely on the arcade side, but most have had a few before, while and after playing. So, the actual gameplay has to be kept on the simpler side. The only real penalty, as far as club distance, is if you put the ball in the mud or thick sand. But skill is required to play the game well. By skill, I mean touch on the roller ball.

If you want to purchase GT, you'll have to decide between commercial and home additions. Commercial, GT Live, has access to internet for tourney's, stat updates, etc via Sprint. Home version doesn't have access online access, but you get all courses from all previous years of GT. Stats for Home Edition are saved to the machine. Don't recall the cost of GT Live, but Home can be had for less than 5g's.

Edit - wanted to add, if you want more of a golf simulator (without actually swinging a club), Tiger Woods for the PC is best bet.

+1 They have it in the club house. Like playing after a round (Golden Tee) . Never had the Pleasure to try the other one.

I prefer Golden Tee. However, like real golf at times, it usually turns in to a drunken pissing contest.

Back