Ror(y) like a Tiger

Mastrofhouse

Reaction score
Handicap
Alright I know this has been beat into the ground in regards to the likelihood of Rory Mcillroy becoming the next tiger woods.

I always try to stay positive when it comes to these types of discussions, but I think the media and most people have jumped on the Rory wagon way too quickly. The kid can golf, I'll give him that, but at 22 he's going to need time to develop. Anyone remember Martin Kaymer, previous world #1? whats he been doing besides not winning?

Im not a Tiger Woods fan by any means, i think he really blew his life up socially and professionally that night back in November, but Tiger Woods is not done playing golf, he most likely will never come back the same, but he is not done. I think guys like David Toms can prove that good players have plenty of golf left.

I agree that the media has sort of jumped the gun a bit, and some of the things they were asking him at the Open after the first couple of rounds were pretty ridiculous. He can flat out play and is doing and saying all the right things, but one major win does not make him the next Tiger.

Those early TW years were really something and we may not see that in a long time, but we all want the next big player to come along, and if it happens to be Rory, then I think it is great. He is what the game needs in a star.

Rory has won one Major. When he wins two, then we can have this conversation again. When he wins 6 tournaments a year, we can talk about this again.

Let Rory be Rory.
Tiger be Tiger.
Jordan be Jordan.
Lebron be Lebron.

comparisons are nice compliments, but that's all they are.

Rory is humble, smart and wise beyond his 22 years.
When asked about all these comparisons, records, etc...his answers are clutch.

I agree. It seems the golf media need some story to beat us over the head with day in and day out. Since TW is sidelined and speculation on his return is food for discussion for just a limited time, McIlroy's convincing win is tailor-made for fresh media frenzy. Rory is the real deal, but expecting him to sprint to Tiger-like performance straight out of the blocks is unrealistic. I hope he has the discipline to keep grounded and continue to believe in himself and not the media hype. Let him play and improve at his own pace. I think if he does that he will have a long, illustrious career for future young players to emulate the way he has Tiger's and the way Tiger has Jack's.

No, Rory is not the next Jack Nicklaus. The next big thing has probably not even entered Kindergarten yet.

Rory has a beautiful swing and brilliant power seemingly coming from nowhere. Tiger you could see the power and anger in his swing. He was intimidating on the course. Rory is just like a cool breeze on the golf course he bee-bops around and enjoys the game. It doesn't seem so much like business when he is playing. When he is playing well everything flows.

With that said we can not compare him to Tiger just yet. He has a bright future for sure and as a 22 y/o he is one of my favorites. The best I've seen yet is still Tiger. Wish I could have watched Jack and Arnie play!

I do think he is the next big thing though.

Rory has won one Major. When he wins two, then we can have this conversation again. When he wins 6 tournaments a year, we can talk about this again.

+1 I don't go into every tourney right now thinking can anyone challenge Rory this week, and until that happens, he is just Rory.

+1 I don't go into every tourney right now thinking can anyone challenge Rory this week, and until that happens, he is just Rory.

Thank you for seeing the forest through the trees.

I was watching the golf channel last night, they were talking about how 2/3 of the major winners, have only won one major. That guys who where "the next big thing" like Fred Couples and Davis Love III, have only won one major. We need to cool the "Rory is going to be the next dominate force" for a while.

No, Rory is not the next Jack Nicklaus. The next big thing has probably not even entered Kindergarten yet.

That's right. He's 6 months old and lives with me :wink:

Most of the media are desperate for someone to champion, to bring in the crowds and sell the product.

Most of the media are desperate for someone to champion, to bring in the crowds and sell the product.

And Rory will sell a ton of product. He might as well be printing money for Titleist.

That's exactly it. Let's face it, golf is still not a huge force in the world of sports. It's needs someone popular like Tiger (maybe now Rory) to be the face of the game. As popular as players like Phil and Boom Boom are, they were never the face of golf. Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods, they were. Now that Tiger is fading, the game needs someone to rally behind. I don't agree with it personally, Rory is a top-notch player with loads of talent, but to make the comparsion at this time is premature. Like blugold said above, lets have this conversation again when Rory is as dominant as Tiger was.

At a guess, there's little expectation that he'll go win the next x amount of majors amongst the educated golfing community. But that's not the audience that they're trying to entice in. We'll watch no matter what.

+1....

Comparisons aside, Rory is awesome. He has had the lead at several majors and he just won his 1st by the best score ever. He is only 22. I am 100% on the Rory bandwagon. I believe this win will give Rory the confidence he needs to be an elite golfer and we will be seeing his name at the top of many more events. Can't wait to see him in the next one.

Alright I know this has been beat into the ground in regards to the likelihood of Rory Mcillroy becoming the next tiger woods.

I always try to stay positive when it comes to these types of discussions, but I think the media and most people have jumped on the Rory wagon way too quickly. The kid can golf, I'll give him that, but at 22 he's going to need time to develop. Anyone remember Martin Kaymer, previous world #1? whats he been doing besides not winning?

Im not a Tiger Woods fan by any means, i think he really blew his life up socially and professionally that night back in November, but Tiger Woods is not done playing golf, he most likely will never come back the same, but he is not done. I think guys like David Toms can prove that good players have plenty of golf left.

I know this was more of a subpoint in an attempt to prove a broader point, but Kaymer did win in Dubai in 2011. He also had a 2nd and 3rd place finish in two World Golf Championships this year.

With respect to Rory, he is not Tiger... he is Rory.

I know this was more of a subpoint in an attempt to prove a broader point, but Kaymer did win in Dubai in 2011. He also had a 2nd and 3rd place finish in two World Golf Championships this year.

With respect to Rory, he is not Tiger... he is Rory.

Point taken, also brings up another point... Will Rory play in the US more ? As far as I am aware he spends most his time across the pond. As an American I would love for the next big player to spend his time here week after week

Point taken, also brings up another point... Will Rory play in the US more ? As far as I am aware he spends most his time across the pond. As an American I would love for the next big player to spend his time here week after week

I think thats going to depend on how money driven he is. When the big sponsorships start knocking on his door, they're going to want him to sell to the US market first and foremost and that means being on NBC/CBC every saturday and sunday.

I like Rory. He was real fun to watch last weekend, and he never got overly excited, even with an 8 shot lead going to the final 9, but with that said, he did fall like a led balloon the last time he had a good lead.
Lesson learned?... I think so. He kept his mind in it, and held on to win in historic fashion.

Tiger will be back, no, not to the level he once was, BUT he will be back, and he will win. He needs to finish sorting things out personally and with his health, but he will be back, and people WILL watch him, because he is Tiger. Period.

Rory has a LONG future of golf ahead of him, and that's good. Well spoken, well behaved, and all around good kid. Hope to see others like him emerge.
Kind of fun not knowing each week just who will pop up and run with it. There are the favorites, yes, but overall, you just never know anymore.

I would like to see him play in the US often, but, more importantly, I would like to see him play in the big flagship events, whether that be in the US, Euro or Asia.

I think you'll see rory back on the pga next year, with maybe one or 2 others.

This is the truth. We have a void and they need to fill it.

Comparisons aside, Rory is awesome. He has had the lead at several majors and he just won his 1st by the best score ever. He is only 22. I am 100% on the Rory bandwagon. I believe this win will give Rory the confidence he needs to be an elite golfer and we will be seeing his name at the top of many more events. Can't wait to see him in the next one.

I love this kid myself and I've quickly become a huge fan of his game and the way he carries himself. Ultimately I think he can be the next big thing and be the one we're saying its him and the rest of the field... he did lead the last 4 majors at one point or another, even though he didn't finish them that proves he's got the game in my opinion.

I think you'll see rory back on the pga next year, with maybe one or 2 others.

I sure hope so! He'd make more money that way IMO.

+1..Let's give him a few years before we crown him.

Back