Project X Graphite Iron Shafts

Can we get a pic of the shaft in the iron? Pretty impressed with your findings so far!

Can we get a pic of the shaft in the iron? Pretty impressed with your findings so far!

That was the plan today, unfortunately I forgot the camera (real camera) on the course. We store our clubs there, so they are not here.
Tried with a cell phone and got something awful...hehe. I will post it anyway following this.

That was the plan today, unfortunately I forgot the camera (real camera) on the course. We store our clubs there, so they are not here.
Tried with a cell phone and got something awful...hehe. I will post it anyway following this.

No problem....I cant wait to see how you game them. 2-3 yards is a pretty big difference. I dont think you would benefit from a higher ball flight because yours is high already. Also, I am gonna need to hear if you can pull off the rope hook me heysoos with these. I think thats the ultimate test

Bad pic

That is a good question and I am not sure I have an answer. I have decent tempo and find I can adjust pretty easily. Goes with the job I guess.
So while I would like to say I have an answer for you, the only thing I have is...I kind of just adjusted.
Good on you. Tempo, tempo, tempo. I have nightmares about that. Thanks.

JB, do you think that in the near future the "stigma" of graphite shafted irons being for ladies, seniors, and slower swing speeds will be gone and fitters will actually start recommending them? I've seen it numerous times on here and heard it in person many times that you shouldn't even consider graphite shafts in your irons unless you have a SS in the 70's or lower. Obviously with the new technology this is just not true, but how long do you think it will take for them to be taking seriously by fitters and teaching pros?

JB, do you think that in the near future the "stigma" of graphite shafted irons being for ladies, seniors, and slower swing speeds will be gone and fitters will actually start recommending them? I've seen it numerous times on here and heard it in person many times that you shouldn't even consider graphite shafts in your irons unless you have a SS in the 70's or lower. Obviously with the new technology this is just not true, but how long do you think it will take for them to be taking seriously by fitters and teaching pros?

I do. It takes longer for the casual fan or non-informed fan to gravitate away from stigmas.
Tour acceptance is a huge part of it.
But lets not forget it took a while for many to switch to graphite driver shafts.
Took even longer for many to switch to hybrids.
Now this is the next big thing in my opinion in the world of golf, but it is not there yet and 2 things have to happen for it to get there.

1. More tour presence. There are a few guys on the PGA Tour playing graphite now. If the companies would make them more noticeable, that might change things, but hte players dont want to see a bright yellow iron shaft.
2. Price. The better graphite iron shafts are just not affordable yet. Getting there, but not there yet.

I can think of one major OEM that could put high end graphite into their irons without raising the price too much. But they dont make iron shafts at this time.

I do. It takes longer for the casual fan or non-informed fan to gravitate away from stigmas.
But lets not forget it took a while for many to switch to graphite driver shafts.
Now this is the next big thing in my opinion in the world of golf, but it is not there yet and 2 things have to happen for it to get there.

1. More tour presence. There are a few guys on the PGA Tour playing graphite now. If the companies would make them more noticeable, that might change things, but hte players dont want to see a bright yellow iron shaft.
2. Price. The better graphite iron shafts are just not affordable yet. Getting there, but not there yet.

I can think of one major OEM that could put high end graphite into their irons without raising the price too much. But they dont make iron shafts at this time.

Thanks. I forgot about the price issue.

When you do see the iron sets with graphite shafts they are generally $100 more. It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

Thanks for the constant updates JB.

Being that I was fit for the PX-steel shafts in a recent fitting, this is pretty interesting. The issue being, I have shoulder/elbow/wrist issues from time to time....(damn computer work all day long and a lot of tennis when I was younger). My issue with the current KBS (stiff but not the tour version) stock shafts in my R9s are that they're launching super high for me. However, when going back to a DG S300 type of shaft as well as the KBS tour (120 or 130g whatever it was), they feel heavy to me again.

Haven't considered graphite in ages, but this could be interesting.

JB: Sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find it. Are these brand spanking new PX graphite shafts or are they the ones that Mizuno has been letting people custom order the past couple of months?

Biggsy: I'd say that better regarded graphite shafts are even more then that. A set of Steel Fibres from Aero tech will set you back $40ish per shaft, while a Matrix Program is more like $90 per shaft

JB: Sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find it. Are these brand spanking new PX graphite shafts or are they the ones that Mizuno has been letting people custom order the past couple of months?

Biggsy: I'd say that better regarded graphite shafts are even more then that. A set of Steel Fibres from Aero tech will set you back $40ish per shaft, while a Matrix Program is more like $90 per shaft

These are straight from the company. I dont know what Mizuno has been letting people order, so I cannot compare them.

Good info so far JB.

What I really liked hearing about was the dispersion, specifically consistency with distance. If graphite shafts can produce consistent yardage gaps AND provide a few yards of extra distance (due to weight and possibly other factors), then really, what's not to like? I think the lighter shafts may take some getting used to for me, but I'd be willing to try. Higher ball flight may be OK if it doesn't come with a bunch of additional spin.

To me, the price probably wouldn't be a serious deterrent. Even at 50+ bucks a shaft because then they would just become pulls and re used in whichever club heads I migrate to. Again, to me, extra distance is never a bad thing if it is consistent.

Question for you, would you consider putting these shafts in your CG 15 wedges?

This is some good info. Im looking forward to some further write ups.
I just purchased a set of JPX 800 Pros with GS95 s300 steel shafts and I already had a set of Mizuno JPX 800 with graphite shafts. I know its a different club head so its not apples to apples comparison but I do feel a lot of differences in the two clubs.

I have not hit the new ones long enough to say what I like better its just different.

Played today with these in a set of Cleveland CG 16s. Have to say, I was pretty impressed. A couple of things stood out to me.
The thought of using graphite as being somehow lesser in quality to that of steel is just not the case. I found that out after about 3 swings.
These are as good as any shafts I have played and held up to a swing as good as any steel shafts I have used as well.

On the monitor, they launch a little higher, however they did not have more spin than their steel counterparts (stock CG16 irons).
Carry distance was actually about 2-3 yards further (only based on monitor, not playing).
Monitor was used outside on the grass, so these are real world numbers, not mat numbers.

The feel was lighter for sure, but with in a few swings I had it dialed in for the most part and really liked them.
One the course there was a higher launch but again, similar distances. The feel was excellent and not a single time did the shaft not hold up or was not as accurate.
The lack of vibration was really interesting to me because I feared no feedback on mis-hits. Not the case, the feedback was still there, but in a different way, with less vibrations throughout.
There was also a great feel at impact of "purity" and something that I got to enjoy a few times.

Looking forward to a few more rounds with them before I decide if the switch will take place.

Pretty much exactly what I was seeing and feeling with the other companies shaft. Can't wait to try these shafts out in the Nikes. Game changers man. The days of graphite being inferior are over. I think the next evolution in terms of irons is the graphite shaft. It will soon be cool to have graphite in your irons.

These are the same shafts available in Mizuno for custom order. Nike has a "made for" version of these for their Pro Combos

JB, is there going to be a full review of these shafts, or more updates on here?

I saw a set of PX 5.5 graphite pulls on ebay. Had me itchin!

I've been loving the 5.0's in the Pro Combos. Great feel that is completely different from the feel of the PX steel. Nice high ball flight that absolutely does not balloon. I just feel like I can take an easy swing and still kill the ball with these shafts. This is my first time playing a regular flex shaft and I wish I had gone to it sooner. PX graphite is a great shaft that more people should be looking at. Graphite. Not just for the elderly

I've been loving the 5.0's in the Pro Combos. Great feel that is completely different from the feel of the PX steel. Nice high ball flight that absolutely does not balloon. I just feel like I can take an easy swing and still kill the ball with these shafts. This is my first time playing a regular flex shaft and I wish I had gone to it sooner. PX graphite is a great shaft that more people should be looking at. Graphite. Not just for the elderly

I'm loving your thoughts on these CL. Graphite shafts really have my attention lately, and while after doing an iron fitting I was fit to PX 6.0 steel, I'm 99% positive, I could find a graphite shaft with the same ball flight and numbers, but with that buttery graphite feel.

They are the future CB. I mean I have heard that graphite shafts were developed in MST about 100 years ago and they are finally dribbling out to us mere mortals. Aerotech is my next shaft to really give a test to. So far PX and Ozik have really opened my eyes

They are the future CB. I mean I have heard that graphite shafts were developed in MST about 100 years ago and they are finally dribbling out to us mere mortals. Aerotech is my next shaft to really give a test to. So far PX and Ozik have really opened my eyes

LOL, I wish we knew what was always going on in the MST. I do think they are the future of iron shafts though, and 10 years from now we will look back at our steel iron shafts and laugh.

Back