Course Management discussion

Thechosen1

#Thistagwilltravel
Reaction score
Handicap
What would you say about your course management skills?

This past month I really focused on getting better at course management and it led me to shoot the 3 best rounds of my career. So then I have decided to take it a step farther, since I'm going down to Florida in a few weeks I decided to start looking up the courses we're going to play. I started looking up each hole and their distance and well I have started to realize hitting driver every hole just doesn't have to happen and that's what I did this past month I stopped pulling driver on every hole and it led to being on the green in two more often. Point being is that I have found my personal way of keeping good course management and it has worked for me which is to look at the yardage of a hole/a good landing area and hit to it, rather than try and bomb it.

I think my course management regarding the driver depends on how I am hitting it that day. Some days if the driver isn't working well I can almost eliminate it from the round. If I am hitting it well I will play it most par 4's and par 5's unless it's a short or tight hole. I usually tend to play semi-aggressive unless I am not playing well, then I'll take a more sure thing over a "chance" type of shot. For example, if my short game is struggling I will do more bump an run type shots and less pitching/flop type of shots. And if my chipping is bad I'll putt it from WAY off the green on occasion. I do struggle with getting out of the aggro mode at times, only because I feel the "power" game is more my strength when trying to score well.

I remember a few months ago, JB and TC had a very interesting discussion on this very subject. I have tried to look at the different courses I play differently and use more strategy and when I do it does helpmy scoring. Too often i find myself going back to grabbing the driver on every hole or if I have 270 yards left to the green I try to knock the snot out of the ball instead of playing smart and maybe playing two shots with the 8 iron. I am still going to have to hit 2 shots, why not make it two that I am comfortable with instead of one that migt not be straight everytime then have to hit my next shot 70-100 yards which is a distance I struggle with. After a very bad back nine this past weekend, course management has been on my mind and something I am going to strongly commit to moving forward.

Google Earth is something I use for just what you're talking about. Golflink's (hope I can say that here) yardage maps are even better, but require an annual subscription fee.

If people want to lower their scores, course management is key. I too love to hit driver but short par 4's and many par 5's there is no need to, unless your dead on with driver which I am far from that. There have been many par 5's which I duff a drive and still par the hole. Utility/hybrids have changed the game for me, never could hit a 3 iron and now more than ever course management plays a big roll in lowering my HC.

My course management is horrible. Hence I enjoy playing with good players in hopes of learning from watching what they do in certain scenarios. If hitting 8I from tee to green on a short par four would get me home in 4, in my head I would take it, but I always pull out a driver...

--
tapatalk

Mapping your plan of attack is great until you show up and the wind is blowing or the conditions are wet. Course management is great and knowing you strengths and weaknesses is key.
I love my driver and hit it when ever possible. There are holes that I know better but Orlando courses are so generous off the tee it's hard not to hit driver. 3w or hybrid may be hit once or twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to manage the course well. I keep my driver in the bag anytime there is trouble on the left side and I dont try to be overly agressive with any of my shots. Sometimes it leads to good things, but sometimes I wish I played a bit more agressive.

Since I got my GPS, I am now laying up on par 5s to 100 yards, instead of just trying to hit it as close to the green as possible. Can't really say it's helped, but it does make me think more about course management.

Playing conditions really come into how I chose my plan of attack. I know there are a lot of holes that I shouldn't hit driver but I do and it comes back to bite me. One of the courses I play is a fairly short course and I will hit driver twice on the front and 4 times on the back. I tend to play better there than the course my league is played. For me it just comes down to how comfortable I am with a particular club and playing to a certain distance and go from there.

Just saw this posted via Facebook:

I am a big guy and hit the ball far so course management is important because the further you hit a ball the further out of bounds it can go on a mis hit. For a while i would tell myself "if i could only get off the tee with my driver i'd be a scratch golfer". Then finally i decided to give course management a try. I have been hitting 3i (do not carry anything between driver and 3i) off of any tee box where I see danger. I am closer than ever to shooting my first round even par. Yesterday I shot a 74 +2 at my home course and I give a lot of credit to course management. There is something to be said for being comfortable over every shot rather than feeling hard pressed to hit a long tee shot or long approach on a par 5. We all know how hard that one bad shot makes the next one.

In the video I will agree with the putting. I have started thinking that way when it comes to long par putts. I think "I just want to get this within 4 feet for bogey" and it has certainly helped big time with lag putts.

I remember a few months ago, JB and TC had a very interesting discussion on this very subject. I have tried to look at the different courses I play differently and use more strategy and when I do it does helpmy scoring. Too often i find myself going back to grabbing the driver on every hole or if I have 270 yards left to the green I try to knock the snot out of the ball instead of playing smart and maybe playing two shots with the 8 iron. I am still going to have to hit 2 shots, why not make it two that I am comfortable with instead of one that migt not be straight everytime then have to hit my next shot 70-100 yards which is a distance I struggle with. After a very bad back nine this past weekend, course management has been on my mind and something I am going to strongly commit to moving forward.

This is exactly right and something I agree with 10,000%. Hitting the fairway on your second shot when "laying up" with a 7 or 8 iron is so easy. So if I'm sitting at 240+, why the hell would I hit a 215 yard 5 wood and leave myself a tweener pitch and risk a myriad of problems including but not limited to bunkers, OB, slice into the woods, tall rough, other hazards when I can hit an easy 8 iron and a comfortable gap wedge and putt for birdie. Hell, I've done the same after muffing a tee shot on a par 4 - divide up the remaining yardage and take the easy route to a par putt rather than pull the FW and pray for a miracle.

Course management is something I worked strongly on at the beginning of the year, and continue to build on. At the beginning of the year, I focused on playing to a spot, playing to a yardage. I wanted to be 100-110 out from the hole if possible, but anything inside of 140 yards is good for me as far as hitting into the green. Well, I got pretty good with that. So then, I started playing to actual spots. Instead of a bar across the fairway I was going for, I would play to a 10 yard circle, trying to have the best angle in. This is not my strong point in golf, but still, it helps. It also leads into my next area of course management I've been working on the last couple of weeks. I know what my usual bad shots are, and so when I approach each shot, I ask myself "ok, that is where you want to hit, but if I thin this or catch it on the toe, where is it going to end up and is that a good spot to be." That helps me with club selection a lot of times, trying to ensure that no matter what the outcome of the shot, I'm in a good spot afterwards.

So course management has been a huge deal for this year, and I continue to work on it. And now that I can hit a driver straight, course management as become considerably easier.

I could definitely work more on course management. There are a few holes that I should keep driver in the bag, but don't and I pay for it more often then not. No matter what I will try to hit the green on a par 5 in 2 if I am within 250 after my drive. I would much rather a short chip than a 100 yard shot. I am very confident in my wedge game around the greens.

If my driver is clicking, then I will hit it on any par 4/5. If I really need to hit the fairway, I am still confident these days in pulling driver and taking a bit off. Next year I am going to get some hybrids (2&3) and they will probably be my comfort clubs off the tee. I am somewhat confident in my 3 wood right now, but will be upgrading next season.

Course management is something that I try to do every time I play a round. Gone are the days where the driver would be out on every par 4 and 5. Nowadays I rarely play the driver at all, I much prefer to hit my 3w to try to ensure that I keep the ball in the fairway which will usually leave me with a very good chance of hitting the green in regulation.

I know that my usual shot is a fade so I will always tee up on the right hand side and aim down the left and just let my natural shape do the rest for me. Same thing applies with my shots to the green, I will aim either at the left side or the middle, very rarely will I aim directly for the flag.

On Par 5's I usually play them as 3 shot's to the green, unless I am within hybrid or lower distance to the green.

I have my gps programmed with my lay up distances so that I know exactly what club to hit to get to my preferred layup distance.

I have my gps programmed with my lay up distances so that I know exactly what club to hit to get to my preferred layup distance.

Exactly. Before I even start a hole I look to see how far the 200 or 150 is. And I try to hit to that spot. Never thought golf could be so easy hehehe

All very good advice from you guys. I want to play my next 9 or 18 with 4i or 3Hy from the tee. I hit both of those straight way more than I do my driver. I bet I would have my best round ever!

Alot of people have recommended playing to their strengths and for that day. That is great advice. One day you may be hitting a club better than another.

I've been playing more consistently and I think that is because I have been playing to my strengths and not trying to kill shots or expecting each club to hit the maximum distance on every shot. I'll take a 5 on a Par 4 if I put myself in trouble off the tee. Pitch out to the fairway and two putt after an approach to the green. It has brought my explosive scores way down.

course management strategies & suggestions

course management strategies & suggestions

the more I think about my game, the more I realize that I need to keep improving on course management, esp on league play. there are a few things that I have learned but sometimes need to re-learn the hard way when I'm on the course. haha. ie: try not to aim at the flag all the time and don't do "hero" shots all the time. this normally gives me my blow up holes of the round.

how do you guys manage the course and what are good beginner tips you can suggest or recommend to weekend golfers like me. I normally go once/week and have a league every other Sat. I'm on my 3rd full year of golf and my current handicap is 20.4, which is about right since my normal scores when playing the blues is mid to high 90's. on whites though, I score high 80's to low 90's.

Lately I have been focusing on GIR's. I just want to get on that green in regulation and 2 putt for par. If I get lucky and 1 putt for birdie, that's a great thing but par is my best friend.
I do much better by not pin seeking. Just hit to the middle of the green, or the safest part of it from where I am, and get that 2 putt par.

This has been a topic at the top of my brain the last week or so as my 30 to 40 yard chipping has gone dormant. I consider myself very solid around the greens and from 60 and out so I need to play for that more often. As a short driver, I find myself in that 230 to 260 yard range on a longer course and have the habit of breaking out the 3w. It's my favorite club in the bag and I can generally hit it 200 to 230 max depending on conditions, perfect to leave me my dreaded 30 yard shot.

I plan to spend a lot more time playing a 6 hybrid or less from now on and playing to a number, I think it just makes sense.

Ive posted this a few times in different threads, but the best advice I have ever been given and implemented was to just get to the 150 yard marker. On each hole I play, I look at what I need to do to get to 150 yards. Whether it's Driver, Fairway Wood, Hybrid or an Iron, my goal is to get there. This has helped me work on staying in the fairway and allowed me to work through the course, rather than just bang driver out there on every hole. I feel comfortable at 150 yards, and it gives me a good scoring opportunity.

Another Course Management strategy is that of aiming for the middle of the green. Depending on the hole, aiming to the middle of the green allows me to avoid trouble (water, sand, etc) and still give me a good shot at making my putt. I have gotten away from this over the past few months, as I have worked on my short game and feel comfortable with going at pins at times, but when in doubt, I aim for the middle of the green.

Back