Counterweighting/ Backweighting your clubs

Dr. Teeth

Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.8!
I have been thinking about backweighting for a while and 3 weeks ago I decided to just do it. So I counterweighted my putter and driver. I am experimenting with my 7 iron as well and will probably through a weight in my wedges. I figured it would be helpful to show how I did this and the best part is it is super easy. Here is a video showing what you would need and the steps. The system I used is called Tour Lock Pro and it works very nicely!

I have played a few rounds with the backweighting and I have had really great results with my putter. I have been averaging 30 putts per round, which for me is great! The biggest area of improvement in regards to my putting has been my lag putting. It just feels easier to get it close. My driver has been off and on (as usual) but I do feel like it is easier to keep my club on plane, and if I get off plane I feel like I can feel it. I am excited to start testing the Heavy Driver and compare my backweighted driver with the Heavy Driver.

I really enjoyed backweighting my putter with a clevis pin. It is not adjustable like this but it only cost a few bucks plus a grip.

Details in the putting sub-forum somewhere.

very cool Dr. T. I have thought about this since the outing.

Nice video dt good info on the installation of the back weighting.

This is a very interesting concept. I am going to read more into this for sure.

I really enjoyed backweighting my putter with a clevis pin. It is not adjustable like this but it only cost a few bucks plus a grip.

Details in the putting sub-forum somewhere.

If I decide to backweight my irons, I will be using a clevis pin and doing it when I need to regrip. I think for the putter and driver it makes a lot of since to use the Optivibe that way you can customize where you place the weight. Where you place the weight will influence your ball flight. For example, if you put the weight lower it will slow down your right hand and promote more of a fade. Putting the weight high will promote more of a draw and middle of your grip will give you more of a neutral flight.

Very nice. Backweighting is what our testing here is about with the Boccieri Heavy clubs. Just getting started myself, so the jury is still out. In my conversation yesterday with Mr. Boccieri (see Heavy driver review thread), he pointed out to me that Sergio Garcia has backweighting in all 14 clubs in his bag, and has been working with this for some time.

Keep us posted on the results, and be sure to check out the Boccieri line of clubs.

Edit; DrT......I forgot that you are part of the Heavy Driver testing......my bad!

How timely! We actually have the Tour Lock rep in our shop right now giving Mr. Blind 9 a demo on our launch monitor. Great video Teeth. I didn't watch the demo by the Rep of how to install the weights, but I'll have Dennis comment on this thread soon. We're thinking about picking this product up and offering kits (everything you need to modify your own club, except the drill!). Besides Teeth, would you other people attempt to modify your clubs yourselves? The rep came in to discuss how we could modify clubs for our customers, but now we're talking about selling the products on the site as well.

Very nice. Backweighting is what our testing here is about with the Boccieri Heavy clubs. Just getting started myself, so the jury is still out. In my conversation yesterday with Mr. Boccieri (see Heavy driver review thread), he pointed out to me that Sergio Garcia has backweighting in all 14 clubs in his bag, and has been working with this for some time.

Keep us posted on the results, and be sure to check out the Boccieri line of clubs.

Edit; DrT......I forgot that you are part of the Heavy Driver testing......my bad!

Hahaha No worries Hoosier! This is part of the reason I am so excited to start testing the driver. Mine just arrived and I will be getting out with it after work. I can't wait to talk to mr. Boccieri tomorrow. It is going to be awesome!

How timely! We actually have the Tour Lock rep in our shop right now giving Mr. Blind 9 a demo on our launch monitor. Great video Teeth. I didn't watch the demo by the Rep of how to install the weights, but I'll have Dennis comment on this thread soon. We're thinking about picking this product up and offering kits (everything you need to modify your own club, except the drill!). Besides Teeth, would you other people attempt to modify your clubs yourselves? The rep came in to discuss how we could modify clubs for our customers, but now we're talking about selling the products on the site as well.

I would be very interested in a kit for my putter

Great video Dr. Teeth. Installed the Tour Lock optivibe and the counterweight in my driver and I really like the feel with the added weight. It's a pretty simple installation process and I'm excited to get some people in to see what other people think. We have the weight kit for the driver / woods, putter and irons. Swing by our shop if you want to try it out!

Great video Steve !!
I am going to look into this and maybe try it out on my R11.
Thanks!!

Where did you get you kit from? I have been looking around but can't seem to find one to do my putter with

golfworks.com

here is the link http://www.golfworks.com/search.asp?ss=tour+lock&x=0&y=0

I put both the OptiVibe and the grip cap in mine. The most expensive part of the whole thing is the dang insertion tool for the OptiVibe, but it works great! If you wanted to you could do all of your back weighting with the OptiVibe or the Tour Lock Pro cap. If you were using the OptiVibe only you would have to regrip afterwards, and you would loss the abilitly to make any modifications without having to regrip again. If you went with only the Tour Lock Pro you would not be able to choose exactly where you want the weight (dont know how important that is for the putter, but I have found a certain spot that feels right for me).

Patty, I would be interested in weights in the putter. Dr. T, that is a great video buddy, thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

golfworks.com

here is the link http://www.golfworks.com/search.asp?ss=tour+lock&x=0&y=0

I put both the OptiVibe and the grip cap in mine. The most expensive part of the whole thing is the dang insertion tool for the OptiVibe, but it works great! If you wanted to you could do all of your back weighting with the OptiVibe or the Tour Lock Pro cap. If you were using the OptiVibe only you would have to regrip afterwards, and you would loss the abilitly to make any modifications without having to regrip again. If you went with only the Tour Lock Pro you would not be able to choose exactly where you want the weight (dont know how important that is for the putter, but I have found a certain spot that feels right for me).

Cheers mate :D

I have a tutorial I picked up from another forum on how to build your own inexpensive backweighting system. I cannot upload it though as the PDF is about 200kb, which is larger than the size permitted. If I can send it through the email system within the forum, PM me and I will forward to you.

While I have not yet created and installed my own system, the instructions seem easy enough. I am going to give it a shot in the near future.

Dr. T - Thanks for posting this. I had read your comments in the Heavy Driver thread, but wasn't sure if it was something you had done yourself or not. The backweighting really worked in the Heavy Wedges I have, so I may try to do something like this with my driver at some point.

just ordered the grip modifier and a 40 gram weight to try out in my driver.

I hate that I missed this video til now. That was excellent. Ever since hitting the heavy irons I have been interested in doing this or tring it out. You have me pondering!!

very interesting concept. I have never heard of either of these before. Don't think i would ever do it but sounds pretty interesting to be able to fit the clubs more how you want by doing this. My head pro hooked my up with some Lead Tape on the back of all my irons which i really like.

Great video Dr. Teeth. Installed the Tour Lock optivibe and the counterweight in my driver and I really like the feel with the added weight. It's a pretty simple installation process and I'm excited to get some people in to see what other people think. We have the weight kit for the driver / woods, putter and irons. Swing by our shop if you want to try it out!

I am so excited to see that you guys are carrying this. I will definitely be goin through you to get any weights i need in the future. Mr. Blind9 are you still liking the weights?

Ddec I am excited to hear how you are liking the back weights.

Ddec I am excited to hear how you are liking the back weights.

should get here weds. There's a great chance I will install the weight and head to the range. I'm pretty excited to test it out. I can use all the help I can get with my driver right now and this might be the ticket to more consistency.

should get here weds. There's a great chance I will install the weight and head to the range. I'm pretty excited to test it out. I can use all the help I can get with my driver right now and this might be the ticket to more consistency.

It definitely has been the case for me!

Back