Do you have different shafts in your wedges and irons?

Wicked Cool Bearded Man

4thegolf+4thefriends
Reaction score
Handicap
6.3 GHIN
I know there has been quite a few posts on wedge shafts lately and the information on from the True Temper interview by TC was great with a ton of helpful information. Here's my dilemma: I just bought a new wedge to complete my set and the company sent me the wrong flex. My irons and other wedges have Project X 6.0's. They sent me 5.5's. I was all fired up and going to send it back.....when I stumbled upon the True Temper interview stating that I probably SHOULD BE playing the more flexible shaft in my wedges. So what should I do? Send it back? or... try it out as much of what was stated in the interview made sense. What is your shaft set up like? All irons and wedges the same or do you have different shafts in your set (3-pw) and your wedges?

I have PX graphite in my irons and DG Spinners in my wedges. I honestly don't think it makes a difference

I just ordered a custom set of TM TP CBs with KBS Tour shafts and my xft wedges have kbs hi rev in them. They are still different but of the same brand. But I don't think they need to be the same or not.

I have Hump shafts in my 3 - W and s300 in my 52, 56 & 60. The idea of the Hump shaft is that the shaft profile makes it feel like I am swinging a shaft that is 30% shorter than it really is, thereby, in theory, making them more consistent on full swings. This profile does however make them prob 0.5 - 1 flex stiffer.

On half/three quarter swings they are too unresponsive to generate loads of spib which is where the softer s300 comes in. Believe me, you should notice a difference if you are able to do some proper testing with softer ones in your wedges than rest of the set.

Many good reports about the Spinners, but I have not tried them.

sent using Tapatalk for Android

Richard who makes these hump shafts. They sound interesting

I do have different shafts in my wedges than what's in my irons. I have the Spinners in my wedges and it's b/c of those shafts why I have the MPT-11 wedges. I like them a lot. I'm not sure what the right thing is to do ghsace. I wish I could give you an answer.

It's all a matter of preference. Not to mention, shafts that have more flex in them tend to react better with smoother (read slower) swings. If you tend to hit your wedges at less than full power, I would recommend a "weaker" shaft. But that's just my recommendation, I would definitely try them out and see how you like them.

Thanks for all the thoughts and input. All I've been doing this PM is reading about wedge shafts and set ups etc. etc. I'm starting to think that I might get more feel and control- i.e. I wont have to swing out of my trunks with my 54* and 60* if I go softer. Not to mention - it is way more popular across the board than I thought to have different wedge shafts..... I don't know who put it in my head that they were supposed to be the same - but thanks THP for opening my eyes as usual!

I have Ping AWT steel shafts in my irons, and TT DG Spinners in my wedges.

I have DG High Launch in Irons & DG Spinners in my Wedges

I use an 8-iron shaft in my wedges. That is to say I have shafts that would be tipped for an 8-iron.

I have KBS in both of mine, just different weights and flexes. My irons have 130 X and the wedges have KBS Hi-rev wedge flex.

I get more spin and control and I don't try and generate the club head speed I do with my irons. It's made a difference to me.

Guide is an interesting thread. When I was at the kingdom I asked a few of the fitters about wedge shafts. each of them said to play the stiffest shaft you could handle in your wedges. However, a manufacturer says something different, definitely makes for some debate. For what its worth I like the performance of the hi-rev shaft over the spinner.

--
tapatalk

I have True Temper Tour Concept shafts in my irons, and dynamic gold s400 shafts in my wedges. I actually like the heavier feel in the wedges compared to the irons, especially since I use my wedges more around the green than anything else. Although, the weighting isn't that much different between my set.

Hi Chunky,

A friend of mine was involved with bringing the Hump shaft design to the golfing world and they were quickly taken up by Furyk and Vijay for their irons several years ago now. Not sure if they still use them this year. Originally they were made by Appollo Golf but am sure that the rights to manufacture them were recently bought by a chineese company.

Mine are from the original batches and have one spare new shaft so have to be careful near trees!!!

He suggested that I try these two yrs ago to give me more control and have not been disapointed.

He wants me to try the new Nippon NS Pro modus 3 shafts as they work in much the same way as the Humps. Will prob aim to trial them September when season has finished. Will keep the Humps though, just in case. LOL

X100 in my irons and wedges.

I have different shafts in my irons and wedges. I also have different shafts in my wedges.

My irons have the x100 shafts in them, and my wedges have s400 shafts in them.

I have a pretty different swing with my wedges though.. Most of the time I play a 3/4 with an effort to knock them down a bit. I've seen nothing to make me feel like I need to put x100 shafts in them.

I think it's kind of hard to have all matching shafts in irons and wedges since some iron shaft OEM's don't always make wedge shafts too.

I have KBS TOUR x in my Iron and KBS wedge flex in my 52-60

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Back